Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

CelticPredator posted:

I don't know why she was there if she hated nerds being nerds so much. I think she was just into porgs tbh.

Everybody should be into porgs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

cargohills posted:

I'm sorry but she's right.

(Clapping at films is either an American thing or a midnight screening thing. Possibly both. I have been to see Disney's Star Wars films 5 times in cinemas, among many other films. and I have never heard clapping. I also never go to midnight screenings so that might be it.)

You know what's more annoying than clapping in a movie? Loudly whining about it.

You don't have to like it but don't be a loud dick about it.

trash person
Apr 5, 2006

Baby Executive is pleased with your performance!
I like the clapping and stuff that happens in theaters. Especially in this year of 2017. Large outbursts of positive emotion feel good

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

cargohills posted:

I'm sorry but she's right.

(Clapping at films is either an American thing or a midnight screening thing. Possibly both. I have been to see Disney's Star Wars films 5 times in cinemas, among many other films. and I have never heard clapping. I also never go to midnight screenings so that might be it.)

My group went to a 10:40PM showing on Friday night. I personally enjoy it when the audience vocally reacts to moments in a film that are meant to invoke feelings of over excitement. That's part of the reason why I like to see highly anticipated tentpole movies on opening night. It's an experience. I can go watch the film for $5 on Tuesday matinee for a more quiet screening. I go on opening night because hype levels are going nuclear and to revel in the atmosphere.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Clapping and cheering in a theater is fun. My crowd this year was kinda subdued compared to TFA two years ago.

I’ll never forget the roar from the crowd when Rey catches and ignites the lightsaber at the end of TFA. For all its flaws that moment was amazing.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I go to movies on opening night when I want to see them soon. It's still rude to make noise over a movie.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Mahoning posted:

Clapping and cheering in a theater is fun. My crowd this year was kinda subdued compared to TFA two years ago.

I’ll never forget the roar from the crowd when Rey catches and ignites the lightsaber at the end of TFA. For all its flaws that moment was amazing.

Yeah that was a great cinema moment.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Bongo Bill posted:

I go to movies on opening night when I want to see them soon. It's still rude to make noise over a movie.

I agree with this.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
You Amerikkkans are so loving dumb. When something exciting happens in a movie we foreigners just incline our head slightly and give the tiniest of smiles. You Yankee fucks probably have the audacity to laugh at funny things.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

UmOk posted:

You Amerikkkans are so loving dumb. When something exciting happens in a movie we foreigners just incline our head slightly and give the tiniest of smiles. You Yankee fucks probably have the audacity to laugh at funny things.

Laughing is an involuntary action, my friend. You can enjoy things without clapping, and this is what the cinema experience is like in different cultures.

trash person
Apr 5, 2006

Bongo Bill posted:

This is such an old man ‘Dang kids get off my lawn!!’ thought.

I’m sorry but I just keep imagining someone sitting in a hugely popular movie on opening night, something awesome happening, and you just sitting there grumbling while everyone else in the theater experiences a shared moment of positive emotion

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I got sat in the middle of a really raucous, large crowd for TFA, which was a really great experience. The crowd pop for the Millennium Falcon coming into frame, boy howdy.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I love that the Porg throughline was that they were pointless, annoying fat birds that got in the way.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

trash person posted:

I’m sorry but I just keep imagining someone sitting in a hugely popular movie on opening night, something awesome happening, and you just sitting there grumbling while everyone else in the theater experiences a shared moment of positive emotion

I want to hear the movie, not the crowd.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

trash person posted:

Why not just enjoy the movie yourself? I go to the cinema to see a movie when it comes out on a big screen, not to partake in a "shared experience". (This is doubly weird because nobody I have ever asked in person has experienced clapping in a film before the end credits. It's a very sharp cultural divide that results in Americans talking about something that they think is universal only for other people to be baffled by it.)

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Bongo Bill posted:

Talking during a movie, especially a quiet bit, is annoying and bad. But laughter and applause and similar reactions are, generally, good.

(I do sometimes get annoyed by people chuckling at "cheesy" special effects in old movies but that's a whole other thing.)

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

MisterBibs posted:

I love that the Porg throughline was that they were pointless, annoying fat birds that got in the way.

Not quite They did look delicious when cooked

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Because I want to enjoy it with other people. I want a community experience when it comes to big movies.

If I don't I'll see it on a weekday in the morning where no one will be there.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
And this may be the wrong thread to advocate for total quiet since an early sign that Star Wars was gonna do well was people flipping the gently caress out at the first shot of the spaceships passing overhead.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

To clarify, my problem is with people loudly cheering. Which has happened to me, and I wish they wouldn't do it, as I have missed lines as a result of it.

Filthy Casual
Aug 13, 2014

cargohills posted:

Why not just enjoy the movie yourself? I go to the cinema to see a movie when it comes out on a big screen, not to partake in a "shared experience". (This is doubly weird because nobody I have ever asked in person has experienced clapping in a film before the end credits. It's a very sharp cultural divide that results in Americans talking about something that they think is universal only for other people to be baffled by it.)

Its only happened to me in a handful of movies, but its nice to get a collective emotion going for a few big/badass moments. My theater missed literally nothing, the clapping was over well before any kind of dialogue.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Filthy Casual posted:

By contrast, the kamikaze hyperspace ram left the whole theater speechless.
Everything went dead quiet except for one guy in the back who said "Gawd-drat!"

Theater was pretty packed too. I think that's the first time I've seen a legitimately packed theater in more than a decade.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Maxwell Lord posted:

And this may be the wrong thread to advocate for total quiet since an early sign that Star Wars was gonna do well was people flipping the gently caress out at the first shot of the spaceships passing overhead.

my theater was cheering and clapping when it started and then that first joke with poe and hux happened and there wasnt a peep for the rest of the movie and there was nothing buit trashing the movie on the way out it was pretty amazing. never seen that from a star wars movie where everyone was all dressed up and poo poo for it lmao

movie sucked with some really cool parts. glad it had like 9 endings and about 90 minutes could have been edited out with 0 loss to the movie

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Ramadu posted:

my theater was cheering and clapping when it started and then that first joke with poe and hux happened and there wasnt a peep for the rest of the movie and there was nothing buit trashing the movie on the way out it was pretty amazing. never seen that from a star wars movie where everyone was all dressed up and poo poo for it lmao

movie sucked with some really cool parts. glad it had like 9 endings and about 90 minutes could have been edited out with 0 loss to the movie

Sounds like an awful group tbh.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Ramadu posted:

Theater I saw it in, people cheered and clapped and were talking positively about it as they exited.

Filthy Casual
Aug 13, 2014

Ramadu posted:

So that's where all the RT audience scores came from.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Ooh second time I saw it I ended up next to a Flem Factory old lady who perfectly timed her nasty death coughs whenever the film got quiet.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Filthy Casual posted:

Star Wars fans.

trash person
Apr 5, 2006

I find an individual’s personal enjoyment (or lack thereof) goes a long way in defining on how they viewed the rest of the audience’s reaction

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Filthy Casual posted:

when i got home it was at 78% and now its 58%

i am genuinely stunned that anyone thought it was great and im wondering if everyone who liked it has brain worms or something

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
With all the things theaters are doing to make movie-going a better experience, maybe they should put headphone jacks in the arm rests for these loving curmudgeons that don’t want human emotion infiltrating their Star Wars.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Ramadu posted:

i am genuinely stunned that anyone thought it was great and im wondering if everyone who liked it has brain worms or something

nah

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

My theatre was mostly silent aside from laughs and quiet talking (e.g. when Snoke died) and I heard mostly positive things on my way out. I didn't really stop to listen because it was late and it was cold. And that's my Star Wars theatre-going story.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

thats what someone with brain worms would say :tinfoil:

Filthy Casual
Aug 13, 2014

Ramadu posted:

Same but with people who didn't like it.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

I love Rogue One, I think I've made that clear. And I loved TLJ (I think; I'll wait until the immediate post-watch buzz has died down to form a more solid opinion), and the funny thing is, it's for some of the exact opposite reasons as Rogue One. R1 feels like a very focused, consistent movie, where Edwards had a specific vision for a type of Star Wars story that hadn't really been done in the franchise (in movie form, at least) and everything in the movie is purposed towards the end of delivering that vision.

TLJ on the other hand, is Rian Johnson's gloriously unchecked id. It's him being given a chance to do Star Wars and going nuts, throwing the whole drat kitchen sink in and then some. It's big and weird and sprawling and doesn't always cohere, but by god, is it fun to watch. It is, in short, the most like George Lucas' Star Wars this franchise has been since he left it, so no wonder it's going to be controversial. It's not perfect - the entire Poe/Holdo/fleet plot just feels kind of weird, and it's paced really oddly slow for a movie where everything else is so breakneck; the beginning of the movie took a while to click for me, with the tone going a little too self-aware at times; Canto Bight is a narrative dead end, but it's a lot of fun so I forgive it; it's got a few too many climaxes - but it gets Star Wars in a way that TFA didn't. It's the Star Wars that gave us the cantina sequence and a backwards talking Muppet samurai monk and a slug crime boss and a water world inhabited by grey aliens. It's a Star Wars that feels unbounded, and not just pushing around the stuff people loved as a kid back in 1977.

And not to poo poo on TFA too much, but it's kind of funny that a lot of people (including myself) assumed that it would look better in retrospect after we knew the answers to all its mystery box questions. TLJ answers most of those questions, but the answers are interesting in a way that makes the movie asking the questions look more boring for hiding them. It's like, "Why were you making this a mystery when you could have been doing this cool poo poo instead?" Example: I was convinced Rey had to be a secret Skywalker to make that plot worth its time, and not only did they make her a child of nobody, they made that reveal a really awesome character moment between her and Kylo.

Also my audience was no fun, there wasn't a single reaction to Luke doing the Force Hologram thing and I had to stop myself from reacting noisily even though that was the best drat moment of the film. :mad:

Serf
May 5, 2011

seeing a movie with the first-night rowdy crowd owns. this movie had people riled up in a major way, and i loved it

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

No matter how rowdy the crowd, it is bad when they prevent viewers from hearing what the characters are speaking. Apparently this is a controversial opinion now.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Ramadu posted:

I thought it was a real mixed bag overall.

I do have brain worms though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Davros1 posted:

Theater I saw it in, people cheered and clapped and were talking positively about it as they exited.

When I saw it people literally started throwing rotten vegetables at the screen. I have no idea how they got that many rotten vegetables into the theater. About halfway through I shouted "when is this going to be over!?" and the entire theater started cheering. When the movie was over the entire audience went to the lobby and demanded their money back and then trashed the life sized cardboard cutout of Luuke Skywalker while screaming "NOT MY LUKE SKYWALKER!!"

And then a marine punched me in the face. That marine, was an atheist bear named Abraham Lincoln.