Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Q8ee posted:

Why is Tilda Basmati the only basmati rice I can buy that cooks perfectly every time? Whenever I try buying store-brand basmati, it's always undercooked. I've tried Sainsbury, Tesco and Waitrose basmati and it's the same with all of them. Finally caved and bought a 5kg bag of Tilda and today's rice was perfect without any fuss.

A bunch of British brands I've never heard of. When I want basmati, I go to the Indian market and ask what rice they use in the food at the deli counter, and then buy a 25 pound bag of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Squashy Nipples posted:

A bunch of British brands I've never heard of. When I want basmati, I go to the Indian market and ask what rice they use in the food at the deli counter, and then buy a 25 pound bag of that.

that is actually a very good shout.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
I'm making cherry pie for dessert for Christmas this year. I'd like to find something green to serve it with for a nice garish Christmas red/green combo plate.

I was planning to serve it with a scoop of vanilla ice cream-- maybe I could make some sort of lime-flavored sauce for the ice cream and use food dye to get it green? (Or mint sauce, but cherry-lime-vanilla seems more tasty to me than cherry-mint-vanilla.)

My other big idea is throw a pile of artfully place green candied cherries on the ice cream.

I'd also be open to skipping the ice cream if something else sufficiently green comes up. Any ideas?

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

crushed pistachio or pistachio ice cream?

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

Casu Marzu posted:

crushed pistachio or pistachio ice cream?

OH, duh. That should fit the bill nicely. Thanks!

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Q8ee posted:

Why is Tilda Basmati the only basmati rice I can buy that cooks perfectly every time? Whenever I try buying store-brand basmati, it's always undercooked. I've tried Sainsbury, Tesco and Waitrose basmati and it's the same with all of them. Finally caved and bought a 5kg bag of Tilda and today's rice was perfect without any fuss.

Perhaps the other brands are less fresh? If you're doing it stovetop, there's nothing wrong with bumping up the time a little (as long as you drop in a bit more water). If it's a rice cooker, then that's difficult, maybe try some extra water and hope it compensates with more time?

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Q8ee posted:

It might have a slightly different composition of starches that lets it cook faster than the others.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Squashy Nipples posted:

A bunch of British brands I've never heard of.

Specifically, British store brands. Pretend they said 'Kroger, Meijer and Walmart' or whatever is appropriate for your area of the US, so being store brands they might not be as fancy as the name brand anyway v0v

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Q8ee posted:

I don't think I'd like Saag, it seems similar to something I've had in the past and the flavours aren't really my thing. Also what do you mean by lamb and "lamb"?
goat is often sold as lamb in restaurants, that's what i meant.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Elizabethan Error posted:

goat is often sold as lamb in restaurants, that's what i meant.

What? Where do you live? I’ve never seen anyone try to pass off goat as any other meat. Also someone’s gonna catch on to that real quick.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

goat is gross cause it tastes how goats smell.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
I wish I could find a restaurant that served goat at all. I'd gladly accept a goat in sheep's clothing.

Q8ee posted:

goat is gross cause it tastes how goats smell.

I will fight you.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Every time I've had goat (always at an Indian restaurant), it's always been fuuullllll of tiny little bones that make it a bit of a chore to eat. It's delicious, though since I still enjoy lamb more and don't have to deal with bones in that, I've gotten away from ordering it. What's the deal with all those tiny little bones?

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Anyone have a spiced/seasoned fries recipe they like? Preferably something that doesn't need a deep fryer / frying in a lot of oil.

My step mom used to make these fries that were seasoned with oregano, chili powder and cumin - super simple, just cut up, toss with oil and spices and then into the oven - she never wrote down the recipe and I've not had a ton of luck replicating it - finding it tricky to get the potatoes cooked right without burning the spices.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

The Midniter posted:

Every time I've had goat (always at an Indian restaurant), it's always been fuuullllll of tiny little bones that make it a bit of a chore to eat. It's delicious, though since I still enjoy lamb more and don't have to deal with bones in that, I've gotten away from ordering it. What's the deal with all those tiny little bones?

Used to have this problem when I'd buy lamb from a butcher. It's the chef / butcher in charge doing a real poor job of cutting the meat. Either the saw is blunt and causes a tonne of splintering (of the bone), or his meat cleaver skills are shite.

I love lamb, but most restaurants I go to cheap out and dish up lamb that's 60% fat and gristle. So I usually get something chicken or beef based.

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

I will fight you.

Every time I've tried goat, the smell of it overpowers my nose. Same with goat's milk. Fight me.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

goat's the greatest of all time

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
^^^
This

Q8ee posted:

Every time I've tried goat, the smell of it overpowers my nose. Same with goat's milk. Fight me.

You are wrong and dumb. Hope this helps.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

it did. i'm gonna try goat again and learn to stop being a dummy.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Q8ee posted:

it did. i'm gonna try goat again and learn to stop being a dummy.

That's the spirit Q8ee! Way to get back on that goat and ride!

IT BURNS
Nov 19, 2012

Was thinking about making Beef Wellington for Christmas this year - is there any way of reverse searing the beef given the process and that it ends up in the oven at the last step?

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

IT BURNS posted:

Was thinking about making Beef Wellington for Christmas this year - is there any way of reverse searing the beef given the process and that it ends up in the oven at the last step?

Probably sous vide?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Q8ee posted:

Get yourself some chivo tacos. If your taquería doesn't have chivo, find another taquería.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Hauki posted:

What? Where do you live? I’ve never seen anyone try to pass off goat as any other meat. Also someone’s gonna catch on to that real quick.
a place with indian restaurants. you can't really get away with it in any other cuisine tbh

legendof
Oct 27, 2014

Oxyclean posted:

Anyone have a spiced/seasoned fries recipe they like? Preferably something that doesn't need a deep fryer / frying in a lot of oil.

My step mom used to make these fries that were seasoned with oregano, chili powder and cumin - super simple, just cut up, toss with oil and spices and then into the oven - she never wrote down the recipe and I've not had a ton of luck replicating it - finding it tricky to get the potatoes cooked right without burning the spices.

I do - just had them last week. They're home fries, not French fries, but I imagine you could experiment with potato shape a bit and get similar results. As written these are DELICIOUS.

https://www.americastestkitchen.com/recipes/6772-home-fries

This recipe appears to be behind some kind of paywall, so I'll type it out for you from the physical cookbook of theirs (which is where I got it) when I get home.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
I HAVE GOAT ANSWERS

Goats that taste strongly are generally bucks, or does that were housed with intact bucks. Does housed with intact bucks will also give bucky tasting milk. Male goats smell so strongly, they make everything else smell and taste like them. Some people lime this taste, generally if they were raised with it.

However, bucky flavor can be fixed with proper meat treatment. We processed a three year old 150 buck once (that tried to kill me, revenge was sweet), and I was very concerned about off flavors. We skinned the carcass very carefully, and before gutting. After we seperated him into parts that could fit in my cooler, I put the meat on ice for three days, purging the water and re-icing frequently. This allows for rigor to pass, and removes a fair bit of gameyness. Then I broke down the meat further into cubes for chili and curry, and froze it. Properly cooked, the goat was amazing.

The main reason for bucky and gamey flavor (as well as bone splinters) is improper processing. The meat gets contaminated by the pelt, or is improperly purged, or is not allowed to pass through rigor.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

legendof posted:

I do - just had them last week. They're home fries, not French fries, but I imagine you could experiment with potato shape a bit and get similar results. As written these are DELICIOUS.

https://www.americastestkitchen.com/recipes/6772-home-fries

This recipe appears to be behind some kind of paywall, so I'll type it out for you from the physical cookbook of theirs (which is where I got it) when I get home.

Cool, I don't have a problem with home fries.

I tried this recipe in the meantime: http://divascancook.com/crispy-cajun-oven-baked-fries-recipe/

but the spices ended up rather burnt - maybe my oven runs hot or I need to use a lower rack?

Oxyclean fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Dec 19, 2017

legendof
Oct 27, 2014

Hm, yeah, I'd guess either keep the foil on longer or move to a lower rack.

Also, I cannot recommend enough purchasing an infrared thermometer. They're like $15 on Amazon in the US and they fixed all my problems with deep frying, chocolate tempering, and oven temperature by letting me tell what temperature stuff actually is. Also, it's fun to point them at random poo poo like your pets and friends. (and we also used ours to figure out how much heat we were losing through windows in the winter etc)

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
They can't detect air temperature, so I would still get an oven thermometer for the oven, but they're definitely fun to play with.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
RE: Basmati

Tilda used to be the gold standard, but it's gone to poo poo. Look for either Kohinoor or Zeenat 1121. Avoid any brand that won't tell you how long it's been aged. Bare minimum should be aged 1 year. Avoid "sella" rice like the loving plague. That poo poo is parboiled, which means any lingering aromas have been parboiled out too. It'll smell like disappointment.

1121 rice is a strain of pusa basmati that is freakishly scary long, and very delicious. But as of now, the best on the market is Kohinoor.

Source: I literally work for a basmati rice importer.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Going to NY in the spring, and I'm planning a visit to Katz deli. Bad decision or worst decision?

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Super overrated. Go to a not super touristy deli and get an actual decent sandwich you're not paying like $20 for.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Casu Marzu posted:

Super overrated. Go to a not super touristy deli and get an actual decent sandwich you're not paying like $20 for.

Dude... there are almost none of them left. :smith:

Last time I was in Manhattan, I was shocked at how the place had been overrun by chain joints, Dunkin Donuts and Chipotle on every loving corner.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Katz's is the place to do it. Go to the real one, not an outpost. Also, don't underestimate the size, you can definitely split one and still stagger around meatdrunk for a couple hours.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

IMO if you're gonna spend too much on cured meats you should really be doing it at Russ and daughters.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

dino. posted:

RE: Basmati

Tilda used to be the gold standard, but it's gone to poo poo. Look for either Kohinoor or Zeenat 1121. Avoid any brand that won't tell you how long it's been aged. Bare minimum should be aged 1 year. Avoid "sella" rice like the loving plague. That poo poo is parboiled, which means any lingering aromas have been parboiled out too. It'll smell like disappointment.

1121 rice is a strain of pusa basmati that is freakishly scary long, and very delicious. But as of now, the best on the market is Kohinoor.

Source: I literally work for a basmati rice importer.

Thanks dude, great info

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

taqueso posted:

Thanks dude, great info

Yeah, super great info!
I'm going to go take a picture of my sack of rice, and see if you approve.

(I just *know* that Dino wants to see a picture of my sack)

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
I'm in the process of making some homemade bloody mary mix for the holidays using tomatoes I smoked. The flavor's good but still way too acidic. In sauces I usually add some baking soda but I'm not sure if I want to do that for something going into a cocktail. I've added a little bit of sugar already but I don't want it to be too sweet. Any suggestions on how to mellow out that acidity? Will the baking soda probably be fine in the cocktail?

UNCUT PHILISTINE
Jul 27, 2006

I found a kickass looking porchetta recipe that I want to make Christmas evening, but the problem is I will be out of town until mid-afternoon, and the recipe requires 24-hours resting time after applying a herb/salt mixture.

The thing is I'll be out of town until a full 3 days before I get home. Is this overboard to have the pork sitting in the fridge after rubbing in the herb/salt? Is it just going to leak a bunch of moisture, or worse?

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib

ditty bout my clitty posted:

Going to NY in the spring, and I'm planning a visit to Katz deli. Bad decision or worst decision?

If you want to go, you definitely should. Touristy, but it's still an experience. Just don't expect so much a sandwich as an expensive pound of very good pastrami with a couple of thin slices of very light rye. Good advice to split it, too — one-half was just about all I could eat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

lifts cats over head posted:

I'm in the process of making some homemade bloody mary mix for the holidays using tomatoes I smoked. The flavor's good but still way too acidic. In sauces I usually add some baking soda but I'm not sure if I want to do that for something going into a cocktail. I've added a little bit of sugar already but I don't want it to be too sweet. Any suggestions on how to mellow out that acidity? Will the baking soda probably be fine in the cocktail?

Adding baking soda will just make it saltier (assuming you have more acid than baking soda), so it should be fine, I usually add a touch of salt to a Bloody Mary anyway