Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

precision posted:

episode 2 of Happy continues to be loving awesome, this might be one of the best new shows if it keeps this quality level up

I’m watching this now and wondering why the hell it doesn’t have a thread yet. I mean it stars Patton Oswalt and the guy that played Elliot Stabler on Law & Order SVU for twelve seasons, so if nothing else it’s well-casted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

feedmyleg posted:

That Harmon video just made me feel like he's Kevin Smith For People Who Consider Themselves Smart.

Harmon being an insufferable, self-righteous tool is pretty well-known at this point, considering it got him fired from Community and it's caused some issues with Rick & Morty's production (to say nothing of how the staff on the latter show were abused). I still don't think he's realized that Rick Sanchez is a pretty direct parody of him.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Nah, he definitely knows. The thing about Harmon is that he has a massive amount of self-awareness, he just doesn't know what to do with it and just doubles down on his egotistical eccentricities rather than learning anything and growing as a person.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

precision posted:

Now You See Me is actually fantastic

I mean, it's really stupid, but also fantastic

I enjoyed both of them. I'm under no illusion (heh) that they're smart or even good movies, but they're much more entertaining to me than that other magician franchise about the kids in wizard school.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I thought it was just Ocean's 11 with real magic

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I liked the first, but the hypnosis stuff is lame.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The first Now You See Me is stupid because they can't decide if the magic stuff is just practical or CG fakery. The end is especially stupid because they pull out holograms out of nowhere.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Mu Zeta posted:

I thought it was just Ocean's 11 with real magic

It’s not real magic. It’s stage magic even in the movies but they don’t bother to make most of it plausible.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

muscles like this! posted:

The first Now You See Me is stupid because they can't decide if the magic stuff is just practical or CG fakery. The end is especially stupid because they pull out holograms out of nowhere.

This was my problem with it - magicians performing heists is a fun premise but then oh no it turns out magic is actually real.

Harry Potter guy was funny in #2 though.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
The general presentation of it turned me off of the movie just from the marketing. "Magicians do a heist" is a good premise for a movie, but when it's clear that you're just going to use CGI to make "astonishing tricks" do whatever you want all the time, and also try and make that visual spectacle a selling point of the film... that doesn't work for me.

I slightly similar problem with the ending to Burt Wonderstone: his ultimate trick involves using gas to roofie the entire audience. yeah. So, like, great "Home Alone" level prank I guess, but even in a comedy, it just takes me right out of the movie as a "we're supposed to believe this is a thing that happens"

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

I’m watching this now and wondering why the hell it doesn’t have a thread yet. I mean it stars Patton Oswalt and the guy that played Elliot Stabler on Law & Order SVU for twelve seasons, so if nothing else it’s well-casted.

Thread for Happy!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3843155

Cithen
Mar 6, 2002

Pillbug
oh, god... 'A Christmas Story: Live' is an abomination. Who thought this was a good idea?

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

feedmyleg posted:

Nah, he definitely knows. The thing about Harmon is that he has a massive amount of self-awareness, he just doesn't know what to do with it and just doubles down on his egotistical eccentricities rather than learning anything and growing as a person.

Eternally stuck at the halfway mark of his own story wheel.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Cithen posted:

oh, god... 'A Christmas Story: Live' is an abomination. Who thought this was a good idea?

Considering that the source material is a miserable, lethargic, ugly movie, a terrible live musical adaptation seems about par for the course.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Thank you.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I hate Ken Jeong so much

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Cithen posted:

I tapped out 15 minutes in. I actually like ACS despite its overexposure this time of the year, but doing it as a musical just doesn't work for me.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Cartoon Network in 2017

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Chris James 2 posted:

Cartoon Network in 2017

Cable television is going the way of AM radio.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Cithen posted:

God the songs are such garbage. Looking forward to everyone freaking out about how “A CHRISTMAS STORY” has a song about Hanukkah [kirmit_sipping_tea.gif]

Chris James 2 posted:

Cartoon Network in 2017

New Steven Universe this week! :woop:

... wait, was my takeaway supposed to be different?

[Edit: seriously though TTG is insanely popular and pulls in really good numbers, which helps them pay for their shows that don’t do very well... such as Steven Universe! Also, CN’s target audience isn’t the people who are actually watching Steven Universe.]

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Dec 18, 2017

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

feedmyleg posted:

That Harmon video just made me feel like he's Kevin Smith For People Who Consider Themselves Smart.

that... actually sums harmon up really, really well

Timby posted:

Harmon being an insufferable, self-righteous tool is pretty well-known at this point, considering it got him fired from Community and it's caused some issues with Rick & Morty's production (to say nothing of how the staff on the latter show were abused). I still don't think he's realized that Rick Sanchez is a pretty direct parody of him.

my favorite Harmon Got Fired story is when he worked on the Sarah Silverman Program and staged a "they go or I go" ultimatum

against Sarah Silverman

Cithen posted:

Probably the same people who thing that making a musical adaptation of every halfway popular IP is a good idea

raditts fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Dec 18, 2017

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

lelandjs posted:

[Edit: seriously though TTG is insanely popular and pulls in really good numbers, which helps them pay for their shows that don’t do very well... such as Steven Universe! Also, CN’s target audience isn’t the people who are actually watching Steven Universe.]

This is...an extreme. But if you told me as a kid that, for this week I was home from school, I could tune in to CN at literally any time and watch one of my favorite shows? I'd probably be down.

Also, I'd like to know what CN's ratings for this time period look like, historically. Between travel, seeing family and distractions from shiny new presents, I would wager that the last week of December is (counterinuitively) a ratings low for them.

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013
Watched Wolf Creek season 2. As a whole it was much tighter and better structured than season 1. It suffered for not having a lead character as strong as Lucy Fry, but overall a stronger outing.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

feedmyleg posted:

Kevin Smith fans tend to think of themselves as smarter and better than the average film goer.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Oh man A Christmas Story Live seems specifically designed to piss off idiots:

*Surprise! It’s a musical! (Lotta people on Twitter were actually surprised by this)
*Lots of POCs in the cast, including Maya Rudolph as Ralphie’s Mom
*Not actually showing the BB Gun onscreen
*The classic Ovaltine decoder ring bit was removed
*The department store Santa was black
*A song celebrating Hanukkah was added

Don’t get me wrong, the musical itself is garbage, but I’m having fun watching people throwing poo poo fits about it on Twitter.

Bonus: Ralphie’s dad is played by the “This guy fucks!” guy from Silicon Valley and it turns out he’s a great singer.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I saw multiple ads for it that never mentioned the musical part.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I wasn’t quite enjoying the last season of Parks & Rec and then it hit an upswing for a couple of episodes and now it’s bad again

Wonder if it has anything to do with Tom not being in a couple of episodes after the first few but then comes back

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

muscles like this! posted:

I saw multiple ads for it that never mentioned the musical part.

I didn't know it was a thing that existed until I saw it posted here, and I knew it was a musical because of course it loving is.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Tom is good, you senile monster

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
They did actually show the BB gun after he gets it but not until then.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

JethroMcB posted:

Considering that the source material is a miserable, lethargic, ugly movie,

You motherfucker.

I hope you shoot your eye out.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

JethroMcB posted:

Considering that the source material is a miserable, lethargic, ugly movie, a terrible live musical adaptation seems about par for the course.

gently caress you :mad:

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
So Ken Jeong played the Christmas tree salesman who also, inexplicably, owns the Chinese restaurant.

The employees, however, employ perfect diction while singing “Deck The Halls”.

[Edit: oh my god there are actually people complaining that taking out the “Fa Ra Ra Ra” ruined the ending]

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Dec 18, 2017

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
If you want a memorable Christmas experience watch Pottersville on Netflix. Don't read anything about it beforehand, just...let it wash over you.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

lelandjs posted:

So Ken Jeong played the Christmas tree salesman who also, inexplicably, owns the Chinese restaurant.

The employees, however, employ perfect diction while singing “Deck The Halls”.

[Edit: oh my god there are actually people complaining that taking out the “Fa Ra Ra Ra” ruined the ending]

That does ruin it!

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rhyno posted:

That does ruin it!

...tell me you’re not serious.

A Christmas Story is my #3 favorite Christmas film (It’s A Wonderful Life, Die Hard) but the racist loving ending always leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Maybe—MAYBE—if the film were made in the time period it takes place in, it could be overlooked, but it was made in 1980-loving-3. It’s a stupid, racist, hurtful “joke” and could be easily removed with literally no harm done to the film.

[Edit: this is relevant to TV chat because TBS spends all day on Christmas reminding Asians that white people think the way newly emigrated Chinese people talk is amusing]

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Dec 18, 2017

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Recent Chinese immigrants do say fa ra ra ra ra

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
No I'm not serious. That doesn't mean the original scene isn't funny.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Catching up on Agents of Shield. Started season 4. I expect it will mostly be practical effects, they spent the cgi budget on ghost rider transforming constantly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Nasgate posted:

Catching up on Agents of Shield. Started season 4. I expect it will mostly be practical effects, they spent the cgi budget on ghost rider transforming constantly.

This isn't how budgets work though?

• Locked thread