Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
One difficulty is hit the same button over and over and win the game, and the next difficulty is die in one hit.

There's some depth to the actual combo system, but it's totally unnecessary. The encounter design never evolves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

don't think anyone would complain if it weren't by platinum tbh

I do wish there were more enemy types tho

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Snak posted:

One difficulty is hit the same button over and over and win the game, and the next difficulty is die in one hit.

There's some depth to the actual combo system, but it's totally unnecessary. The encounter design never evolves.

This is super hyperbolic.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Are any of Platinum's good action games actually available on the PS4

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

I bounced off Automata super hard since I tried to play it after Noih, which has really neat combat, and Horizon, which is the prettiest game ever and has pretty cool combat.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Transformers: Devastation

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Not yet. Supposedly Bayonetta and Vanquish are coming.

Edit: ^ I got really bored with that too. So far I don't like Platinum style action at all.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Vanquish is the one where you slide around on your knees shooting stuff right?

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

yeah

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

And Bayonetta is the one with the librarian fetish domme

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

yeah

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

FAUXTON posted:

Vanquish is the one where you slide around on your knees shooting stuff right?

Best action shooter of its generation

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I'm still convinced we'll get it on PS4 at some point. What else does Sega have going on?

Does Nintendo own the bayonetta ip now, or is that Platinum or Sega? Something tells me we won't be getting that one due to the current situation.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

veni veni veni posted:

I'm still convinced we'll get it on PS4 at some point. What else does Sega have going on?

Does Nintendo own the bayonetta ip now, or is that Platinum or Sega? Something tells me we won't be getting that one due to the current situation.

Sega owns it

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Sega own the ip and ported 1 to PC but Nintendo paid for 2&3 so you won't see those on anything else.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Pablo Gigante posted:

Go for both action and JRPG and get Nier: Automata

Have it and finished it!

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

I'd play Uncharted 4 or Lost Legacy.

Actually, Uncharted 1 is the current game I'm using to balance the playtime but it's so bland. And I know it gets better with 2 and so on but boy, this is a slog. I checked my save and I'm 73% done with the campaign so next time I'll just play it to the end.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah just bust through the rest of 1 or watch the end on Youtube and get to the good ones.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Samuringa posted:

Have it and finished it!

Actually, Uncharted 1 is the current game I'm using to balance the playtime but it's so bland. And I know it gets better with 2 and so on but boy, this is a slog. I checked my save and I'm 73% done with the campaign so next time I'll just play it to the end.

Put on easy. Blow through it for story.

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Yeah, Okami.

It's too bad Wonderful 101 is Wii U exclusive because that's some of the neatest poo poo they've made outside of Nier's story.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

platinum didn't do nier's story so :v:

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

platinum didn't do nier's story so :v:

It provided the means to accessing Nier's story so I'm counting it.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Sakurazuka posted:

It's the CD version with worse music

Actually, it’s both the original and the CD ROM versions. Same as with x-wing.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Are there any games that I absolutely must get while the holiday sale is going on? I'm trying to build my library a bit since I don't have too many games for the PS4. I just beat HZD (loved it), I'm pretty decently far into Yakuza 0 and I've been enjoying P5 but that seems like it'll take a while.

Infamous Second Son and its First Light stand-alone DLC are worth a look and should be cheap. Fun, relatively short games.

Uncharted Nathan Drake collection, Uncharted 4, and Lost Legacy are cool and good.

Bloodborne is cool and good

Yakuza Kiwami is less than $30 and is more Yakuza

AC: O if you can get it cheap.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Still waiting for Metal Gear Rising Revengeance Remastered

Gonna play Nier upcoming holidays, Im so exciteddd

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

WaltherFeng posted:

Still waiting for Metal Gear Rising Revengeance Remastered

How do you remaster perfection

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Weeb goblin might be my favorite insult I've ever heard.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

codenameFANGIO posted:

How do you remaster perfection

Imagine Revengeance, but with the ability to quick swap secondary weapons (i.e., the polearm, the sai, etc.)

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

and a proper dodge move. And it's not 5 hours long with very little replay value.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

veni veni veni posted:

and a proper dodge move. And it's not 5 hours long with very little replay value.

MGR has a dodge move (it's called defensive offense, if I remember correctly) and is very replayable.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Persona 5 question: every time you ambush an enemy you're supposed to make the mask ripping motion with your hand IRL right?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

King of Solomon posted:

MGR has a dodge move (it's called defensive offense, if I remember correctly) and is very replayable.

It did but I wan't a fan of it. I'd much rather have had a dedicated button. And I would have loved to have seen some challenge mode crap or something. Game just felt super low on content. Then again, I guess Vanquish was pretty low on content too but I was more compelled to play it again.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Awesome! posted:

i guess it depends what you are looking for from your action game. nier's combat is much less technical than something like bayo but it is still fun i think

Totally agree. I think the action is fun as hell (though I had to completely remap the controls), and the rpg elements that are there are incredibly light. It's all brought together by the amazing scenery, music, and genre nods.

Probably my favorite game in an incredible year.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Rumors of a Bayo/Vanquish remaster but not yet.

Real hurthling! posted:

Best action shooter of its generation

drat straight. Though I think Warhawk comes mighty close even though it's aiming for something different.

veni veni veni posted:

I don't like the tone of this post :clint:

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

veni veni veni posted:

It did but I wan't a fan of it. I'd much rather have had a dedicated button. And I would have loved to have seen some challenge mode crap or something. Game just felt super low on content. Then again, I guess Vanquish was pretty low on content too but I was more compelled to play it again.

I mean, it's definitely short, but it's pretty replayable. The higher difficulties actually feel meaningful, it's fun to try to S-rank encounters, and I guess it has those VR missions?

And while it would be better if the dodge was an actual button and not something you had to buy (and search for the move list to use), it does have one.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
Doesn't jump in MGR have some i-frames, like in DMC?

CrRoMa
Nov 12, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Bombadilillo posted:

Good advice, both for Uncharted games and Nier

Edit: Actually, don't play Uncharted for the story, play it on easy and pretend Nathan Drake is a superhero

SamBishop
Jan 10, 2003

abagofcheetos posted:

The holiday sale this week is just week 1, I think there will be 4 weeks maybe?

This year's actually six weeks, so there'll be stuff through the early parts of January. I couldn't find anywhere that we'd announced that, so hopefully I don't catch poo poo for telling people they will have more weeks to throw their money at us.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Bombadilillo posted:

It's over!

Goddamnit, a QTE final boss with an instakill attack, really loving great.

Also, even on Easy, the cursed enemies killed me with two slashes.

Why the hell did it take so long to give me a pistol with a decent magazine size?

I enjoyed that the game opens and ends on a ship, that was neato.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Final bosses with one-hit kill QTEs is 2000s gaming at its finest.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Episode 45 is the mission

jerk rear end tank

Also can I ever deploy a mortar or AA gun? Ive taken like a thousand and I never thought about that until now

verbal enema fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Dec 18, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!
You can definitely deploy mortars