Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

My recreational drug use was enjoying the fruits of colonialism via the cheap and excellent wine, cheese, and baguettes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escape Addict
Jan 25, 2012

YOSPOS

Pirate Radar posted:

Taiwan has the death penalty for importing drugs but it’s not deployed just for bringing weed into the country. The punishments can be pretty harsh though, and Taiwanese prison is not fun.

The most common drug in Taiwan among non-foreigners is (I think) ketamine, since you can make that in a lab, which isn’t really my bag but if you like it then you like it.

I remember seeing that video of a girl in a club snorting some insanely long line of ketamine on a dare. I think she must have died afterwards.

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010
Ketamine is also popular with middle aged mainland women when doing ktv.

As for weed in Asia my Singaporean friend told me they randomly drug test people coming off the Amsterdam flight at Singapore airport. So he would always fly in and out of Brussels or Frankfurt.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Man, is it weird that I've never done anything that wasn't booze

I mean, initially it was because I never had money, but then it was because I lost contact with anyone who could get me some.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Is this a language class?

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2017/10/171018113538.htm

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8j4-F4zQVU

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Baronjutter posted:

Malaysia has had the death penalty for drugs for quite a while now.

I don't smoke myself, but my friend tells me that Malaysian weed comes in the form of compressed bricks smuggled over the Thai border and basically consists of squished whole plants, stems and all, and raffia string. Pretty lovely compared to the London weed he was used to.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
The weed sellers in Chengdu were either from Northern Europe, or Chinese guys who wouldn't sell to other Chinese people. They would come to one of the bars downtown, which was owned by someone with high-level police connections, and wait for people to approach them. Said bar also had nitrous for ten RMB a pop.

Pretty fun place!

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

There's some plant they used for landscaping that completely smelled like weed, so even if someone knew what it smelled like, they likely wouldn't have thought much about it.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

There's some plant they used for landscaping that completely smelled like weed, so even if someone knew what it smelled like, they likely wouldn't have thought much about it.

Moxa/mugwort? When I was in Japan I rented a room from an acupuncturist and it smelled like she was toking up 24/7

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010
And one more thing, when I first moved to Shanghai I had a German classmate who insisted that there were certain xinjiang restaurants with smoke as much weed as you want buffets. Never saw one myself, and I've never heard anyone besides him mention it ever.

Lupin
Feb 21, 2007

Baronjutter posted:

Yeah japan has crazy ideas about weed. I remember in high school all the more straight laced japanese students would be SHOCKED to learn anyone in class smoked
This is super wrong imo.
I have honestly never met a Japanese person that wasn't willing to try weed and end up enjoying it. High school, university (in Japan and Canada) and beyond. Lived there for years and years and even knew some Japanese that grew it. Maybe you only ever talked with the dorkiest of dorks lol.
Like yeah, if you ask some complete stranger about it they would just straight up deny ever using it and refuse to talk about it, but in my experience everyone from the rich to poor and the bad students to the good students were open to it.

That being said, yes the laws against marijuana are ridiculously harsh in Japan but like everything else there, if you don't draw attention to yourself or make a big deal out of it then no one will care.

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible
https://my.mixtape.moe/fkocdm.mp4

OSHA with Chinese Characteristics

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011

Lupin posted:

This is super wrong imo.
I have honestly never met a Japanese person that wasn't willing to try weed and end up enjoying it. High school, university (in Japan and Canada) and beyond. Lived there for years and years and even knew some Japanese that grew it. Maybe you only ever talked with the dorkiest of dorks lol.
Like yeah, if you ask some complete stranger about it they would just straight up deny ever using it and refuse to talk about it, but in my experience everyone from the rich to poor and the bad students to the good students were open to it.

That being said, yes the laws against marijuana are ridiculously harsh in Japan but like everything else there, if you don't draw attention to yourself or make a big deal out of it then no one will care.

Yeah when I first moved here and asked people who I knew at punk shows about weed, most of them just said something like “Oh nooo! You’ll get arrested, man!” And then when I started playing in bands and getting to know people more it became clear that TONS of people smoke weed it’s just that if you’re not careful and get caught you’re turbo-hosed so they don’t openly talk about it.

Imperialist Dog
Oct 21, 2008

"I think you could better spend your time on finishing your editing before the deadline today."
\
:backtowork:
https://twitter.com/shawnwzhang/status/942620233793126402

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Escape Addict posted:

Korea - great for drinking, but bad for everything else.

should be on the flag

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
Japan weed talk is always going to be anecdote vs anecdote but use as a country as a whole is definitely super low compared to the west. “Tons of people in Japan do weed” is pretty categorically false. “Tons of people in the punk music community do weed” “Tons of people who hang out with the foreign commmunity do weed” are much more reasonable statements and will be situationally true.

Basically anytime anyone who’s not reasonably fluent in Japanese *and* is involved in a number of organizations that aren’t specifically oriented towards or dominated by foreigners, they’re only going to have experience with a very limited subset of the population in the first place. There’s absolutely nothing wrong with that, but if you start extrapolating that population to the whole of Japan you’re getting incredibly skewed data.

big time bisexual
Oct 16, 2002

Cool Party

At first I thought that might have been some sort of public humiliation for failing to meet sales goals but no, it's actually a team building exercise. :catstare:

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
Yeah I should have been more clear in that it was more that I was initially surprised it seemed that people in the punk community didn't smoke weed and then found out that plenty do. I know the average person here doesn't smoke weed and talking about it with people at work, for example, is a terrible idea. I know people who I see at shows are not run of the mill. That poo poo becomes clear pretty quickly, especially if you speak Japanese.

Lupin
Feb 21, 2007

LimburgLimbo posted:

"Tons of people in Japan do weed” is pretty categorically false.

Basically anytime anyone who’s not reasonably fluent in Japanese *and* is involved in a number of organizations that aren’t specifically oriented towards or dominated by foreigners, they’re only going to have experience with a very limited subset of the population in the first place.

Lol turbo nerd spotted. I never said that tons of people smoked weed, I was just replying to a comment about Japanese students in Canada and added in my own experience. I'm bilingual in Japanese/English, was never involved in the "foreigners" version of Japan, and I've lived there on and off for the last twenty years. There is almost no chance that you've had more experience with "the population" than me.
Enjoy the green tea and onsen.

Lupin fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Dec 18, 2017

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
Aw hell yeah I knew weed talk would bring the noise

Lupin
Feb 21, 2007
As a scholar of 茶道 (Green tea ceremony), Bushido, and traditional Japanese calligraphy, I can tell you that your experiences as 外人Gaijin(foreign devils) can not possibly hope to experience the true 文化 Bunka (culture) of glorious nippon. No real 日本人 nihonjin(Japanese) would ever smoke marijuana. Only those disgusting enough to associate with foreigners would smoke the devil's weed.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Lupin posted:

As a scholar of 茶道 (Green tea ceremony), Bushido, and traditional Japanese calligraphy, I can tell you that your experiences as 外人Gaijin(foreign devils) can not possibly hope to experience the true 文化 Bunka (culture) of glorious nippon. No real 日本人 nihonjin(Japanese) would ever smoke marijuana. Only those disgusting enough to associate with foreigners would smoke the devil's weed.

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010
I've been traveling through Thailand for a month now. The south was lovely, but Bangkok anoys me in ways Shanghai never did. Yeah the people are much nicer, but I have to admit that Shanghai is better organized. Bangkok is also not as cheap as I would have thought.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Lupin posted:

Lol turbo nerd spotted. I never said that tons of people smoked weed, I was just replying to a comment about Japanese students in Canada and added in my own experience. I'm bilingual in Japanese/English, was never involved in the "foreigners" version of Japan, and I've lived there on and off for the last twenty years. There is almost no chance that you've had more experience with "the population" than me.
Enjoy the green tea and onsen.

I... never said that you said that?

Dr. Radical said “TONS of people smoke weed”, which, in context was *probably* referring to the punk community but wasn’t that clearly laid out, and I’ve seen people who legitimately didn’t realize how skewed their samples were so felt it worth a comment.

Re: Japanese students in Canada, that’s actually a perfect example of what I mean. That’s a specific group of Japanese kids (kids who either study abroad or have families who got sent for an expat assignment) which are not representative of Japanese kids as a whole. You clearly have greater context and understand that but plenty of other people don’t and extrapolate their interactions with exchange students as representative of all Japanese, which is of course not quite right, as relatively few Japanese students study abroad.

Since you broached the topic of Japan-penis measuring: I lived in Japan for the last decade nonstop, including doing my undergrad there. Also did full on taiikukai bukatsu (much to the bewilderment of many) and normal domedome-rear end shuukatsu, though I ended up at a gaishi firm in the end.

I don’t prtocularly like green tea and have only been to a handful of onsen. Actually have never been to Nikko come to think of it, which I really should do some time.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
Sorry. I often forget that on the internet you have to be as explicit as possible otherwise people will respond to what they wish was the intent of what you write.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Japan and Korea are two countries I really think could benefit from marijuana use. Chill the gently caress out, and everyone is sleeping at work, anyways.

I smoked once when I lived in Tokyo and immediately scared myself shitless thinking EVERYBODY CAN TELL and had a bad time. :smith:

Lupin
Feb 21, 2007
My bad, just assumed you were referring to me. Why you would ever want to be a salary man kind of bewilders me, but I'm glad to hear you dodged that bullet. I did undergrad there too, and just assumed you wouldn't have actually met any normal Japanese stoners if you were a weeb/eikaiwa dude.

True story: most of my cheeba smoking friends are actually from Chiba, a never ending terrible joke since I explained it to them.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Lupin posted:

My bad, just assumed you were referring to me. Why you would ever want to be a salary man kind of bewilders me, but I'm glad to hear you dodged that bullet. I did undergrad there too, and just assumed you wouldn't have actually met any normal Japanese stoners if you were a weeb/eikaiwa dude.

True story: most of my cheeba smoking friends are actually from Chiba, a never ending terrible joke since I explained it to them.

Was/am still technically a salaryman depending on how you look at it but just have a better evironment and much better pay and could go home at 6 or 7 if I wanted; recently moved to Singapore for work but looking into going back to Japan. Visa is stil good unt 2019 anyway.

Was considering a more traditional Japanese company for the, erm, unique experience, and wanted to get keigo and business manners down well then hopefully leverage that later on to do independent consulting/contracting connecting foreign companies without much prescence in Japan, or something along the line. Obviously didn’t go that route but tbh pretty glad as it may well have cost my sanity.

I actually didn’t hang with “normal” Japanese stoners, though I met plenty enough. My close friends were all the international school/kikokushijo crowd though, and they definitely partook of some substances

Dr.Radical posted:

Sorry. I often forget that on the internet you have to be as explicit as possible otherwise people will respond to what they wish was the intent of what you write.

Meh I’ve seen plenty of people who love to make really broad unsubstantiated claims about Japan based on very limited experience so I view many statements with the lens of that being a possibility. Just as Lupin viewed as a distinct possibility the idea that I was some first year JET jerking off about knowing the “real Japan”; it’s honestly a fairly reasonable assumption to make devoid of other context because it’s just so drat common.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

you shouldn't smoke weed in Japan but you can get shitfaced in a public park at lunchtime so it's still a good place to be

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

peanut posted:

you shouldn't smoke weed in Japan but you can get shitfaced in a public park at lunchtime so it's still a good place to be

There’s always a few people smoking in Yoyogi during hanami season anyway when it’s too crowded to find people, so you can have the best of both worlds

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

LimburgLimbo posted:

recently moved to Singapore for work but looking into going back to Japan. Visa is stil good unt 2019 anyway.

if only someone on this website had had the foresight and knowledge to tell you that Japan was better than Singapore

oh wait it was me, I was the one who consistently told you that

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

The Great Autismo! posted:

if only someone on this website had had the foresight and knowledge to tell you that Japan was better than Singapore

oh wait it was me, I was the one who consistently told you that

Nah I like Singapore and it’s cool and would be happy to stick around, but I’m considering a career change and have a better network in Tokyo to get my resume looked at through those initial steps considering I’m gonna look at places I don’t have direct experience with so need a leg up.

Also gonna throw some resumes at Hong Kong and Taipei.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

fish and chips and dip posted:

I've been traveling through Thailand for a month now. The south was lovely, but Bangkok anoys me in ways Shanghai never did. Yeah the people are much nicer, but I have to admit that Shanghai is better organized. Bangkok is also not as cheap as I would have thought.

Bangkok definitely isn’t for everyone. Living there, in particular, is an exercise in dealing with things like “X didn’t happen because it was raining today” when everything to do with X happens indoors, or “the stairs are out of order”.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart

Dr.Radical posted:

Aw hell yeah I knew weed talk would bring the noise

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Limburg isn’t much of a weeb but he is a different kind of crazy person. Haven’t been to Nikko but hitch hikes 8 hours to kyoto? That’s messed up.

Lupin posted:

My bad, just assumed you were referring to me.

It’s ok because I’m the biggest weeb. I go to japan all the loving time and can’t really speak much of the language. Instead of akhibara I spend my time at japanese art museums getting excited over wood block paintings and modern Japanese art paintings. Heck I even get excited over japanese bathroom tile grouting and paneling finishing. I know that I can never live in japan because my tourist fantasy will be ruined.

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

Japan and Korea are two countries I really think could benefit from marijuana use. Chill the gently caress out, and everyone is sleeping at work, anyways.

Yeah Koreans could really use some chill these days. Drug use is so frowned upon (my faaaaacccee) that it's better to shave your head on your flight back from the US than to possibly get caught in a drug test. poo poo like this is why it's hard to buy superglue in Korea; whatever is in it can give you a high (or so I'm told).

In tangentially related Korea news, my BIL knocked up his girlfriend so it's time for a Korean shotgun wedding! The race to decide if they get married before the bump is too pronounced, or wait till after the kid is born. Thankfully my in-laws are super accepting and are excited for their future daughter in law and grandchild, but no clue how the other family is going to react.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

caberham posted:

It’s ok because I’m the biggest weeb. I go to japan all the loving time and can’t really speak much of the language. Instead of akhibara I spend my time at japanese art museums getting excited over wood block paintings and modern Japanese art paintings. Heck I even get excited over japanese bathroom tile grouting and paneling finishing. I know that I can never live in japan because my tourist fantasy will be ruined.

Same but onsen instead.

PS the onsen around nikko and kinugawa suck. the better ones are going to be deeper in, around oku nikko, oku kinugawa, or shiobara/yunishigawa.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

kimcicle posted:

In tangentially related Korea news, my BIL knocked up his girlfriend so it's time for a Korean shotgun wedding! The race to decide if they get married before the bump is too pronounced, or wait till after the kid is born. Thankfully my in-laws are super accepting and are excited for their future daughter in law and grandchild, but no clue how the other family is going to react.

jesus, as if the wedding hall factory assembly line weddings weren't bad enough, I've been to one or two where the bride was clearly weeping not from joy because she was being forced to get married because she got knocked up.
EDIT: maybe not just from being knocked up, but also "I am almost 30, and this could be my last chance to get married before I wither on the vine"

also, no problems buying superglue anywhere, maybe you're thinking model glue, which I never tried buying. besides, soju is like $1 a bottle and perfect for cheap lovely highs.

ladron fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Dec 18, 2017

• Locked thread