Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

It's a joke right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

I LICK APE PUSSY posted:

It's a joke right?

its completely serious

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
It's also nearly 4 years old. That pistol reveal was hilarious though.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Speaking of cool crazy guns:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-QNc2YmUNE

Has anyone else explored the concept of very quiet sealed cartridges?

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
I'm sure that somebody, somewhere has toyed with the idea. As with all things, the chief problem is cost.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

I wonder what the legality of a silent sealed cartridge would be under the NFA. It's a neat idea from a technical standpoint for sure though.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
That's a dumb idea and physically I have no idea why it would make the rounds any quieter. You need the gas to expand down the barrel and be dampened by baffles at the end, constructing the bullet in an extra 8mm of brass won't do anything for sound.

Unless what the Russians are saying is that it's a heavier round with a subsonic amount of powder behind it? Which still does nothing for the muzzle.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

M_Gargantua posted:

That's a dumb idea and physically I have no idea why it would make the rounds any quieter. You need the gas to expand down the barrel and be dampened by baffles at the end, constructing the bullet in an extra 8mm of brass won't do anything for sound.

Unless what the Russians are saying is that it's a heavier round with a subsonic amount of powder behind it? Which still does nothing for the muzzle.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PSS_silent_pistol#Cartridge

The powder is behind a piston which propels the bullet; gas doesn't leave the cartridge.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

They have perfected NERF technology

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
We cannot allow a NERF gap.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

DoktorLoken posted:

I wonder what the legality of a silent sealed cartridge would be under the NFA. It's a neat idea from a technical standpoint for sure though.

TFR has talked about this and the consensus is that its illegal.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
OTOH, if you're manufacturing guns whose main use is assassinations & wet work, why do you care?

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Ok I understand that design now. Still dumb. Yeah that style of pusher system might have a use in an umbrella tip of hidden wrist two shot but why would you go through he effort of making a whole handgun out of it. You're losing he majority of the power such a mechanical advantage could provide quietly by trying to stuff it in a few cm.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Dead Reckoning posted:

OTOH, if you're manufacturing guns whose main use is assassinations & wet work, why do you care?

Uh maybe I just dont wanna grab ear protection while protecting my castle?

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

maybe crabs deserve a silent death

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

M_Gargantua posted:

Ok I understand that design now. Still dumb. Yeah that style of pusher system might have a use in an umbrella tip of hidden wrist two shot but why would you go through he effort of making a whole handgun out of it. You're losing he majority of the power such a mechanical advantage could provide quietly by trying to stuff it in a few cm.

its for putting two in the back of the head of political opponents point blank, not for dropping tangos 100m out.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

Godholio posted:

We cannot allow a NERF gap.

https://youtu.be/jUbqbpBX1Us

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

45 ACP CURES NAZIS posted:

its for putting two in the back of the head of political opponents point blank, not for dropping tangos 100m out.

In that case your either executing them with your gold leafed desert eagle or assassinating them covertly. There is no use case for a lovely gun not covered by simpler weapons. No assassin is going to pull a lovely semi-auto out, because if its worth having a semi-auto its worth having a proper one.

Now building that into a wine bottle cork or under a serving tray, that I'd buy. And building something like that for single use weapons is something that could be done on a hobby sized home lathe.

Love this

M_Gargantua fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Dec 18, 2017

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Are you really saying there are zero plausible uses for a compact and nearly silent semi-automatic pistol? Especially by lovely people in the Russian/Soviet governments?

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Got a sporterized SMLE MK4 NO1 for 195 in p good condition.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

ElMaligno posted:

Hah, I recognize that counter. How's the old man?

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

I LICK APE PUSSY posted:

Hah, I recognize that counter. How's the old man?

still being a super cranky but kinda cool old man.
Edit: Thats the old man in the picture. he is wearing a hawaiian tshirt with marince corp insignia and the iwo jima flag raising dudes.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

I am building another AR. This time it's going to be a near-exact clone of the M4 from my first deployment. That means it will also be functionally inferior to every other AR I own, but welp.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Source and buy a burst receiver. Can't be more than 20k.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Make sure you clean it until most of the finish comes off. If the quad rail isn't purple, you haven't cleaned it enough.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Nah too expensive there. And if I did, it'd be auto, not burst.

I am however starting with an actual Colt lower, marked M4 Carbine: https://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/receiver-parts/receivers/lower-receivers/ar-15-m4-complete-lower-receiver-5-56mm-prod109740.aspx

Also got a Colt 6921 upper (14.5" barrel, essentially an M4 upper) with KAC RIS on it. Everything else is currently on order/in the mail. I'm going turbo autist on this. The only deviations from what I carried will be the lack of a giggle switch and an A2X flash hider instead of an A2. (0.2" longer, pinned/welded in place to keep it from being an SBR, because gently caress waiting a year for this thing.)

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
When I built my M4gery, there was a dude on eBay that was selling stuff that I'm pretty sure had fallen off the back of the LMTV. It's where I got the KAC RIS for it. The account no longer exists, unfortunately.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

ElMaligno posted:

Hah hah that's Krauswerk and the younger old man with the stache? School teacher if I recall right.

God I miss that place. Use to drop in during my lunch hour when working for Loomis to shoot the poo poo and slobber on Lugers.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

The Rat posted:

Nah too expensive there. And if I did, it'd be auto, not burst.

I am however starting with an actual Colt lower, marked M4 Carbine: https://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/receiver-parts/receivers/lower-receivers/ar-15-m4-complete-lower-receiver-5-56mm-prod109740.aspx

Also got a Colt 6921 upper (14.5" barrel, essentially an M4 upper) with KAC RIS on it. Everything else is currently on order/in the mail. I'm going turbo autist on this. The only deviations from what I carried will be the lack of a giggle switch and an A2X flash hider instead of an A2. (0.2" longer, pinned/welded in place to keep it from being an SBR, because gently caress waiting a year for this thing.)
Can't wait to see it. Been idly assembling bits for a similar thing myself, but can't get the Colt lower due to :ca:

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

This is the goal, except with one of those retarded buttstock mag pouches. (I apparently took off the buttstock mag pouch for this picture because we were just about to ship back to Alaska, I think.)

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Vaguely related:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wpFDj1MJx_A

At this last weekend's 3-gun match, I remembered this video and then realized that one of the patches on my helmet was one of these and tore it off in a fit of intense self disgust.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

I still wear the last pair of Nikes I bought and I won't stop until they completely fall apart.

I'm not a basic vet, they're just too comfortable to toss out!!

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

The Rat posted:

This is the goal, except with one of those retarded buttstock mag pouches. (I apparently took off the buttstock mag pouch for this picture because we were just about to ship back to Alaska, I think.)

LOL, a PEQ-2 and Surefire M9xx? I think those actually have antique value now.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Naked Bear posted:

I still wear the last pair of Nikes I bought and I won't stop until they completely fall apart.

I'm not a basic vet, they're just too comfortable to toss out!!

Once they do wear out, get a set of mid height Merrell Moab Ventilators for 3-season use, and the Moab winter versions for the winter. You won't regret it. I've put a huge amount of miles on the Ventilators. They're comfy, light as hell, and they grip rock well.

Dead Reckoning posted:

LOL, a PEQ-2 and Surefire M9xx? I think those actually have antique value now.

Even worse, a PAQ-4. No illuminator whatsoever, just a weak rear end little laser. At least on a PEQ-2, you can crank up the intensity and such. And yeah it's :shepface: as gently caress that we used to think those Surefires were "blind your rear end bright" when they were just 65 lumens. That's almost 1/10 of what my current Surefires are pushing.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

The Rat posted:

Once they do wear out, get a set of mid height Merrell Moab Ventilators for 3-season use, and the Moab winter versions for the winter. You won't regret it. I've put a huge amount of miles on the Ventilators. They're comfy, light as hell, and they grip rock well.

These are some solid boots. Just remember to get them the same size as your tennis shoes instead of going down a couple like with combat boots.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Truth. Thank goodness for the REI returns and exchange policy.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Those look like exactly the boot I'm looking for, thanks!

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

The Rat posted:

Even worse, a PAQ-4. No illuminator whatsoever, just a weak rear end little laser. At least on a PEQ-2, you can crank up the intensity and such. And yeah it's :shepface: as gently caress that we used to think those Surefires were "blind your rear end bright" when they were just 65 lumens. That's almost 1/10 of what my current Surefires are pushing.
I'm leaning more towards something a bit more late war: Colt upper, SOPMOD stock, Lone Star pistol grip, Tangodown VFG, Blue Force Gear sling. Surefire 6xx when I have the scratch. I'm going with the KAC RAS II over the original, since they cost the same and the II is better in every way. No grip pod, even though those were super common for a while.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Dead Reckoning posted:

I'm leaning more towards something a bit more late war: Colt upper, SOPMOD stock, Lone Star pistol grip, Tangodown VFG, Blue Force Gear sling. Surefire 6xx when I have the scratch. I'm going with the KAC RAS II over the original, since they cost the same and the II is better in every way. No grip pod, even though those were super common for a while.

Planning a Iraq War reenactment?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

The Rat posted:

Truth. Thank goodness for the REI returns and exchange policy.

Merrells are awesome in general. Once I'm through this pair of Salomons, I'm getting a pair of Merrell bare access #whatever. Narrow rear end Salomons, never again.