Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

cis autodrag posted:

Maybe your summary is just bad but you made me hate this book.

LitRPG should have been enough to make you hate that book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

cis autodrag posted:

You usually don't have to read past "LitRPG" for that.

e: fb (god drat new page):argh:

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Proteus Jones posted:

You usually don't have to read past "LitRPG" for that.

e: fb (god drat new page):argh:

Is that like the star wars books with the cards and dice that I used to get from book order as a kid

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

cis autodrag posted:

Is that like the star wars books with the cards and dice that I used to get from book order as a kid

No worse. Imagine a star wars MMO. Now imagine a book about characters in that MMO, who know they are in said MMO, and the story is about winning the MMO.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

cis autodrag posted:

No, it's more like the protagonist likes to play Wizardly Warriors™. Then, suddenly, during a gaming session he and his gaming partners are all magically transported into the game. But it's not a game! It's a dimension next door and game was really just a mystical gateway to find the Worthy Hero(s) to save the realm.

E: Or usually worse and like what Hieronymous Alloy says.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

The side-note stories in the Star Diaries would be amazing books in the hands of other scifi authors.

-A interstellar freight hauler gets heavily damaged by a meteorite shower while orbiting a planet in a remote star system.
-Organic cargo from the space freighter gets left behind on the alien planet after the space freighter is repaired/leaves the star system.
-Aided by periodic heavy meteor showers, the organic cargo left on the alien planet starts to evolve and eventually gains sentience.
-The evolved organics beings achieve spaceflight & fully adapt to living in the interstellar void.
-Asteroid belts & the oort cloud in that star system are slowly colonized by the evolved organic beings, which is where human explorers first encounter them.
-1st contact with the evolved organic beings equals 100% dead human explorers/tales of lurking horrors in that star system spread/adventure seekers keep coming in/adventure seekers almost never make it out
-Specimens of the evolved organic beings are eventually captured by a colleague of the Star Diaries main character.

Difficulty level : The cargo left behind on that alien planet was potatoes , and the whole plan rested on the natural curiosity of potatoes.

quantumfoam fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Dec 17, 2017

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

ianmacdo posted:

The ending is out and it is lame too. Literal deus ex machina
The main guy just phases through to the center of the earth and before the source of power,(its not the demons, it's just t
he magical centre of the earth.) overwhelms him he sends out a super ward that kills all the demons. He could have done this any time, making everything that happened in the previous books basically unnecessary.

Thanks for this.
Any remaining desire to finish the series is now effectively gone.
Good first book and good world in terms of survival horror, but the whole concept died when the demons stopped being scary. Also, don’t mention the faux Arabic part.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Cardiac posted:

Also, don’t mention the faux Arabic part.

Hint: it's more :tvtropes:

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

cis autodrag posted:

I actually picked this up because the thread was talking about it and it was a buck and I was actually pleasantly surprised by it. It’s not great literature, but it’s worth the buck for a couple hours of turn your brain off.

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

navyjack posted:

I actually picked this up because the thread was talking about it and it was a buck and I was actually pleasantly surprised by it. It’s not great literature, but it’s worth the buck for a couple hours of turn your brain off.

Yeah, a lot of what I said in the spoiler is plot points of the book and isn't the straight plot from the get go. It tends to mix comedy with dread/horror to a decent effect and is well paced.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Proteus Jones posted:

No, it's more like the protagonist likes to play Wizardly Warriors™. Then, suddenly, during a gaming session he and his gaming partners are all magically transported into the game. But it's not a game! It's a dimension next door and game was really just a mystical gateway to find the Worthy Hero(s) to save the realm.

E: Or usually worse and like what Hieronymous Alloy says.

On the other hand this reminds me of Guardians of the Flame which was actually good

ClydeFrog
Apr 13, 2007

my body is a temple to an idiot god

GreyjoyBastard posted:

You're right. Definitely phrased it poorly.

What I was TRYING to aim for was that she'd still have carried out the same fundamental narrative arc if she were a straight person, and therefore she isn't defined in any major narrative way by liking girls, it's just a highly relevant Problem between her and the lovely empire.

this is a potentially significant spoiler to anyone who hasn't read: if she liked boys and banged a local noble boy, the Sword of Damocles would be slightly less sharp around the ending, but you bet your britches the boy would have ended the same way for the same reasons

but basically I was asserting that Baru Cormorant is a good example of someone whose narrative arc is not structured entirely around her sexual orientation

because it really, really, really is not

Uh - but the reason she lives in fear of repercussions is because she is gay and that is utterly verboten - and because of what happened to her two fathers Her sexuality is highly relevant. But - it's explored in a way that has direct and meaningful story consequences rather than as a gimmick.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
There are three general classifications of "I'm in a fantasy RPG world?!" as I see it.

Portal fantasy: Basically Narnia or the Dungeons and Dragons cartoon. You, and maybe your friends, go through a portal to fantasy land and have adventures. I'd argue it encompasses stuff like A Connecticut Yankee and Conrad Stargard as well. If there's game mechanics it's going to be vague handwavey stuff as needed for the story.

Isekai: Pretty much entirely the realm of Japanese anime/manga/light novel media. The most milquetoast otaku (that's you, reader) gets killed by a truck and reincarnated in a fantasy game world where they become overpowered by knowing game mechanics or getting a "cheat item." Also includes regular fantasy stories where the characters know they have RPG stats, ie Danmachi.

LitRPG: Instead of the above two, the main character is just a average person playing the author's idea of the perfect MMO, and the author graphically narrates every sword strike as the player farms rats in a tavern basement and breaks rocks for ore. Basically imagine Ready Player One but written by Reddit/TV Tropes and it's about World of Warcraft combined with a early access survival game instead of 80s references. The terrible anime series Sword Art Online falls under this category.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

C.M. Kruger posted:

There are three general classifications of "I'm in a fantasy RPG world?!" as I see it.

Portal fantasy: Basically Narnia or the Dungeons and Dragons cartoon. You, and maybe your friends, go through a portal to fantasy land and have adventures. I'd argue it encompasses stuff like A Connecticut Yankee and Conrad Stargard as well. If there's game mechanics it's going to be vague handwavey stuff as needed for the story.

It says a lot about you that fantasy worlds have to be "rpg worlds" in your mind.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

cis autodrag posted:

It says a lot about you that fantasy worlds have to be "rpg worlds" in your mind.

I think the poster just means "three kinds of fantasy fiction about RPG worlds," not "all fantasy fiction is in RPG worlds."

eszett engma
May 7, 2013
If I ever gain the ability to travel back in time I will go to 1890 and tell Mark Twain to his face that A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court is isekai trash and that I blame him for Sword Art Online.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I think the poster just means "three kinds of fantasy fiction about RPG worlds," not "all fantasy fiction is in RPG worlds."

Yes. There is a nebulous and vague overlap between "non-game" and "game" portal fantasy. Narnia isn't a game obviously, but as a contrast we have Sword of the Bright Lady where it's a fantasy story but the main character meditates to (narratively) pick/refresh his daily spells like a Cleric in Dungeons and Dragons.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

C.M. Kruger posted:

Yes. There is a nebulous and vague overlap between "non-game" and "game" portal fantasy. Narnia isn't a game obviously, but as a contrast we have Sword of the Bright Lady where it's a fantasy story but the main character meditates to (narratively) pick/refresh his daily spells like a Cleric in Dungeons and Dragons.

A number of fairly high-profile fantasy series were very clearly written as novelizations of someone's RPG campaign. Malazan is probably the most notable example.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

A number of fairly high-profile fantasy series were very clearly written as novelizations of someone's RPG campaign. Malazan is probably the most notable example.

Good ol' Raistlin himself came out of a D&D campaign.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Raymond E. Feist is another.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Thieves World series.
Thieves World was less of a novelized RPG campaign, and more of a "shared fantasy world that was open to California based fantasy authors" who all meet up at Denny's
to hash out story conflicts & future plotlines. It sounds weird, but the Thieves World series came out pre-internet era.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

Paksennarion

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Baru Cormorant is just a novelization of a Dominion game, you can tell by the Duke spam and focus on card trashing

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Speaking of Baru Cormorant we have less than a year until the sequel drops.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

C.M. Kruger posted:

LitRPG: Instead of the above two, the main character is just a average person playing the author's idea of the perfect MMO, and the author graphically narrates every sword strike as the player farms rats in a tavern basement and breaks rocks for ore. Basically imagine Ready Player One but written by Reddit/TV Tropes and it's about World of Warcraft combined with a early access survival game instead of 80s references. The terrible anime series Sword Art Online falls under this category.
The Rat quickly recovered from my kick and instead of biting my leg again, jumped, aiming straight for the throat. This is more or less what I expected of it. I swung the pick, caught it in mid-jump and made it fly off again. Critical hit! The Rat's body flickered and it was already a weightless rodent-shaped cloud that I sent flying; it quickly dissipated. Only my loot hit the ground in place of the Rat.

Experience gained: +4 Experience, points remaining until next level: 94
Skill increase:
+20% to Strength. Total: 40%
+5% to Agility. Total: 5%
+10% to Stamina. Total: 20%

That's some bonus! So many things levelling up at once and, more importantly, you get 4 Experience for one Rat. This way, if I kill at least 5 Rats and get through 5-6 Copper Veins a day, I will get around 25 Experience every day, which would mean that it would take me under a week to gain a level! The new level would bring new stat points and new stat points equals a new level. My life has a goal! But I must figure out why the Rat actually attacked me. Why did it dislike my healing so much? Does it generate aggro with mobs? I have to get someone to explain this to me.

Picking up the items left behind by the Rat (the Rat pelt, meat and tail) I went to have a rest. Around three hours remained until the end of the working day, in which I had to finish off the third vein and, as soon as my Health recovered, 'heal' another Rat.

In the remaining time, I managed to finish off the third vein (+5 pieces of ore, +1 Experience, +10% Strength, +5% Stamina, +50% Mining) and also complete a fourth one (+5 pieces of ore, +1 Experience, +10% Strength, +5% Stamina, +1 Mining Skill), thus increasing my Mining Profession skill to 3. Having once again felt the same euphoria upon levelling up, I made a firm decision to increase at least one stat as fast as possible, to see what kind of pleasure such an increase would bring.

As for Rats, I only managed to kill one more. I sung the song twice, thus 'healing' the next Rat, and dispatched it fairly quickly, letting it get close to me only once (+4 Experience, +20% Intellect, +20% Strength, +5% Agility, +10% Stamina). Although, truth be told, the Rat used that one chance to the full, biting me for 10 Hit Points. I did not see any more Rats — perhaps they had all gone into hiding. That was fine; for my first day I'd done more than enough.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
Is that real or did you excrete it? Either way I hate you for bringing it into my life.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

C.M. Kruger posted:

Otherland by Tad Williams should be in the non-game portal fantasy genre.
Pretty good story until the monkeys in space, although I imagine it must feel pretty dated by now.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
I hang on to the stone as a reminder to curb my flights of fancy, took the Copper Ingots from Kart, who was busy trading with other prisoners, and headed for the smithy. Now I had to get my head around Jewelcraft. A worm of doubt started to wear down my confidence in anything useful coming out of that either.

So, what things could I make? I opened the page with professions and began to study it.

Copper wire
• Description: used in the crafting of copper rings and neck-chains.
• Crafting requirements: minimum Jewelcraft level 1.
• Ingredients: 1 Copper Ingot.
• Instruments: Jeweler's Tools.

Lesser Copper Ring.
• Description: Lesser Copper Ring. Durability: 30. Adds 1 random Stat from the main list: (Strength, Agility, Intellect, Stamina, Rage). Minimum level: 1.
• Crafting requirements: minimum Jewelcraft level 1.
• Ingredients: 2 Copper Wires.

Lesser Copper Chain
• Description: Lesser Copper Chain. Durability: 30. Adds 1 random Stat from the main list: (Strength, Agility, Intellect, Stamina, Rage). Minimum level: 1.
• Crafting requirements: minimum Jewelcraft level 2.
• Ingredients: 3 Copper Wires.

At the first glance this did not look like much, but for me it was a cause for celebration. Rings with stats! In Barliona a player could wear up to 8 rings at the same time, so if I had rings with additional stats, then... mmm...  Right, I must stop daydreaming, where was my 'reality-check' stone? I still had to make a lot of wire and only had 6 Copper Ingots. Too little, hells... Perhaps I should start learning Smithing myself? No, let Kart level up in that.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Shutupshutupshutupshutup !!!!

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
Putting the 10 remaining points into Intellect and increasing it to 18 at the base and 82 with items, I opened up the group interface and examined the stats of the rest of the group.

Eric. Warrior. Level 13. Stamina 40, Agility 15, Strength 30, Rage 8. Yes, I was wrong, the tank overshot me in Hit Points by quite a lot. But that was good: the thicker his hide the easier it'll be.

Clutzer. Rogue. Level 12. Stamina 25, Agility 15, Strength 40, Rage 6. I guessed the class right with our slang connoisseur. I was also glad to see that he had enough Stamina: a smaller Energy loss meant more time for mining the vein.

Leite. Warrior. Level 12. Stamina 25, Agility 10, Strength 45, Rage 7. This also made sense. In a mine you didn't need Stamina that much, especially if you're a Warrior, so the emphasis was made on Strength, to mine the ore quicker.

Karachun. Warrior. Level 12. Stamina 25, Agility 10, Strength 45, Rage 7. Leite’s clone, by the looks of it.

If they all have level 12 in Mining, they shouldn't spend more than four hours on a Large Copper Vein, even if they go at it alone. And if all of us start smashing a vein - it should be finished in an hour at the most; this could mean about 10 veins a day. To sum up: it should take us 10 days to complete the quest. If not for the Rats it would have been easy enough. But the Rats...

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Suddenly The Legend of the 10 Elemental Masters doesn’t seem nearly as bad...

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
I became aware of just how close Karana's face was to mine. She was beautiful, even though her hair was matted with demon blood. I decided to take my chances and see if she'd favor me with a kiss. I leaned in close...

"I'm sorry," she breathed, face flushing. "You haven't passed this Charisma check."

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

mllaneza posted:

Shutupshutupshutupshutup !!!!

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
If anyone here like Harry Connolly's Twenty Palaces stuff, he has a new TP novella out.

Megazver fucked around with this message at 11:46 on Dec 18, 2017

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I've been reading a new series (to me, anyway). Daggers and Steele by Alex Berg. Fantasy noir, basically.

They ain't great, but they are pretty good. I'm in book 5 out of 10? and so far it hasn't hit me with some weird urban romance porn.

They are written like an updated noir novel, where the lead is basically a grumpy guy who's a borderline sexist but eventually (in the first book, so not too eventually) he starts respecting his new partner even though she's a gal.

The first one is free on Amazon at the moment. Check it out if it sounds like something you'd like.

Also, litrpg sucks unless it's either the Caverns & Creatures stores by Bevan, or the NPC series by Hayes.

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

90s Cringe Rock posted:

Putting the 10 remaining points into Intellect and increasing it to 18 at the base and 82 with items, I opened up the group interface and examined the stats of the rest of the group.

Eric. Warrior. Level 13. Stamina 40, Agility 15, Strength 30, Rage 8. Yes, I was wrong, the tank overshot me in Hit Points by quite a lot. But that was good: the thicker his hide the easier it'll be.

Clutzer. Rogue. Level 12. Stamina 25, Agility 15, Strength 40, Rage 6. I guessed the class right with our slang connoisseur. I was also glad to see that he had enough Stamina: a smaller Energy loss meant more time for mining the vein.

Leite. Warrior. Level 12. Stamina 25, Agility 10, Strength 45, Rage 7. This also made sense. In a mine you didn't need Stamina that much, especially if you're a Warrior, so the emphasis was made on Strength, to mine the ore quicker.

Karachun. Warrior. Level 12. Stamina 25, Agility 10, Strength 45, Rage 7. Leite’s clone, by the looks of it.

If they all have level 12 in Mining, they shouldn't spend more than four hours on a Large Copper Vein, even if they go at it alone. And if all of us start smashing a vein - it should be finished in an hour at the most; this could mean about 10 veins a day. To sum up: it should take us 10 days to complete the quest. If not for the Rats it would have been easy enough. But the Rats...

Its pretty bad that I can't tell if you came up with this on your own and just borrowed names and situations or if its from the first Way Of The Shaman book.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

General Battuta posted:

Baru Cormorant is just a novelization of a Dominion game, you can tell by the Duke spam and focus on card trashing

:vince:

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006

Victorkm posted:

Its pretty bad that I can't tell if you came up with this on your own and just borrowed names and situations or if its from the first Way Of The Shaman book.
I'd say trap sprung but yeah, it's just copied and pasted from the first book of the epic six-volume duotrilogy. Unfortunately only the first is available on kindle unlimited, so rush to your credit card and buy this literary wonder now.

I blame Putin.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I admit I used to read http://peldor.com/ while bored at work :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
lol if you didn't read IUDC