Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

darkarchon
Feb 2, 2016

My name is a trolling word
hello

edit: page snype, have some stars

ps: star citizen is bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

some dude in the spectrum posted:

Paraphrasing a bit, they said "Our flight model is realistic and ships behave realistically, (with the caveat) if real ship were as powerful as Star Citizen's ships are".

So, the question is... why are Star Citizen's ships designed to be so powerful? What's the point of a realistic flight model if the ships are made to behave unrealistically because you've allowed them to be designed unnaturally powerful?

So it really doesn't matter if the Flight Model is capable of realistic behavior if the ships are designed to perform in unrealistic ways. You still end up with an unrealistic result... which is what ultimately matters to backers and the game.

They are becoming aware

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Crouching Tracker, Hidden Profit.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Toops posted:

Take the fact that they changed positioning to 64 bit. That alone puts them well past the API layer, and deep into the dark caverns of CryEngine.

...or the fact that they gave source code to Faceware in order for them to implement their tech. That's that massive problem they already have, right there, regarding code. Even if the Bugsmashers episodes get tossed, they're never going to get around this one if it's found to be true (it is my understanding that they were already in contact with Faceware - so that's how they knew).

And key here is that all licensing contracts cover your employees and contractors. But Faceware is a third-party partner. That's a huge problem. It's not like Illfonic or many of the other contractors who would have had access to the engine code. That's why they're not mentioned in the complaint.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

no_recall posted:

One last one before the year ends.

Someone call how much the Christmas / ELE / Couttes Interest Repayment / Crytek Lawsuit / Year End - Sale Livestream Extravaganza is going to reap!

All guesses / prizes / donations will be taken in before Thursday.

A bunch of you don't have PM enabled so I still have a bunch of unclaimed keys, lets do this!

Buy a Starship!

Put me down for a $1.5M - $2M spread

----------------

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Eh. It's after a major sale, the new patch still isn't out, and there has been a lot of drama and it's souring the backers. It's a decent number all things considered. A few years ago and the lows were closer to 10k.

Tokamak fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Dec 18, 2017

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

darkarchon posted:

hello

Details pls (tube specs, sensor, number and type of lightframes, tracking used etc. pp.)

It's drat awesome! Also I love the color palette you chose!

Necatus
Oct 8, 2007

The Kins posted:

Yes, Lumberyard includes the engine source code, which is even publicly available and forkable on GitHub.

https://github.com/aws/lumberyard

Also, Lumberyard didn't exist when Star Citizen commenced development. It launched in Feb 2016. So that probably would have tripped them up a bit.

While this is true, even if the code shown in the newest Bugsmashers was from Lumberyard, they'd be in breach of contract with Amazon as well.

https://aws.amazon.com/service-terms/#57._Amazon_Lumberyard_Engine

Lumberyard Service Terms posted:

57.8 Forums; Submissions. In addition to your rights to distribute LM Forks on the Lumberyard Git Repository set out above, when discussing Lumberyard Materials in our forums or elsewhere, you may include up to 50 lines of source code from the Lumberyard Materials for the sole purpose of discussing that code. You must identify us as the source of the code. “Lumberyard Submissions” are content relating to Lumberyard Materials (including LM Forks) that you post or otherwise submit to developer discussion sites, sample code repositories, or other AWS or public forums. You grant (i) us a non-exclusive, worldwide, perpetual, irrevocable, transferrable, sublicensable, royalty-free, and fully paid up license under all intellectual property rights to your Lumberyard Submissions, and (ii) other AWS customers the same rights to your Lumberyard Submissions as these Service Terms provide to the Lumberyard Materials. You represent and warrant that you have all necessary rights to grant the license above, and that your Lumberyard Submissions do not infringe the intellectual property rights of any third party or violate this Agreement.

They do not identify the source as required, and they include far more than 50 lines (not to mention them giving up the rights to any modified code shown).

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

FailureToReport posted:

Woa wait, which debate?

Aren't you reading your emails? Check your spam or unblock me on your channel so I can message you. Or DM (it's open, so you don't have to follow) me on Twitter

It's today 1:30PM PT / 4:30PM ET. So go cancel your wax appointment, get your tits all jacked up, and bring your A game.

----------------

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Open development seems to have it's downsides...

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

CrazyTolradi posted:

"Hmmm, improperly sealed concrete and coffee grinds, what could go wrong?!?"

There's no real way of cleaning that poo poo either, once concrete is stained you're basically stuck with it unless you take some off the surface. But seriously, who thought having a coffee machine on something that'd stain so god drat easily was a smart idea. I'm even careful with my sealed white bench of stains from coffee grinds, but concrete? No way.

They couldn't afford granite counter tops you see. Not even JPEGs sold at the time.

----------------

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

D_Smart posted:

Aren't you reading your emails? Check your spam or unblock me on your channel so I can message you. Or DM (it's open, so you don't have to follow) me on Twitter

It's today 1:30PM PT / 4:30PM ET. So go cancel your wax appointment, get your tits all jacked up, and bring your A game.

From pure hatred to respectful discussions. The comedy that is Star Citizen will unite the world!

Nanako the Narc
Sep 6, 2011

ewe2 posted:

API stuff

This is well beyond my knowledge, so I'll defer to coders/developers/etc. who better understand how game development works (:v:).

That said, I do agree with Derek that, considering their knowledge in the field, Skadden likely considered this angle (especially since, as you mention, there have been recent and prominent cases regarding it).

Even if copyright fails, however, Crytek still has CIG/RSI dead to rights on the 4 contract breach claims, which still bodes poorly for Crobberts and co.

The thing that will be really interesting in all this will be CIG/RSI's response to the claim. The defence that they file will say a lot about their chances of defending this case; maybe they'll pull out a letter out of their asses that ended the contract? Maybe they'll refer to a break clause which Skadden somehow missed? Whatever their hail Mary defence is, we'll likely get a good idea of it when we read the defence that they file.

Additionally, we might learn more about CIG/RSI's attitude to this case by who they choose to represent them in court (insert comedy 'Ortwin' and/or 'Toast' reply here), as some law firms are well renowned for being hard-nosed litigators while others are better known for their success in negotiation. Who CIG/RSI pick might, therefore, tell us if they actually want to 'vigorously defend their case' or are quietly going to ask for a settlement. That said, someone mentioned in Discord that Chris might just choose the most expensive firm he can find because 'more expensive = better' and I wouldn't put it past him to choose a firm on that basis alone :laugh:.

Nanako the Narc
Sep 6, 2011

tuo posted:

From pure hatred to respectful discussions. The comedy that is Star Citizen will unite the world!

I told them that all they needed was a big sweaty tumble to get over their differences :colbert:.

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

Yo! The Mafia supports you. But don't tell no one. Spread the word.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Tokamak posted:

Eh. It's after a major sale, the new patch still isn't out, and there has been a lot of drama and it's souring the backers. It's a decent number all things considered. A few years ago and the lows were closer to 10k.

Yeah, 30K a day is still yuge all things considered. And I dont loving believe it.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Tokamak posted:

20k was the floor in 2013-2014 pretty much, when it drifted close to that there'd be a sale.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

MedicineHut posted:

And I dont loving believe it.

:same:

Gosts
Jan 15, 2016

You accidentally photoshopped the letter 's' out of the bag

FailureToReport
Nov 25, 2017

Warlord in training

D_Smart posted:

God help me, you're unblocked.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

MedicineHut posted:

Yeah, 30K a day is still yuge all things considered. And I dont loving believe it.

yeah its still a lot but they need like 100k a day to stay afloat

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

$30k every day without fail for doing literally nothing.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I'm feeling like they are going to retire the tracker after the coming sale and then go "We always planned to remove it!" with people dragging that old sandi quote as evidence and not actually thinking about why they are removing it

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Cao Ni Ma posted:

yeah its still a lot but they need like 100k a day to stay afloat

That 100K probably asumes they still hve a 400+ man team around... which I dont loving believe either.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

MedicineHut posted:

That 100K probably asumes they still hve a 400+ man team around... which I dont loving believe either.

I believe it, because CIG are loving idiots and think throwing more bodies at the problem will fix it.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Gosts posted:

You accidentally photoshopped the letter 's' out of the bag

I feel shame :(

e: vvvv loving LOL :five:

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Dec 18, 2017

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

fuctifino posted:

I feel hame :(

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Cao Ni Ma posted:

I'm feeling like they are going to retire the tracker after the coming sale and then go "We always planned to remove it!" with people dragging that old sandi quote as evidence and not actually thinking about why they are removing it

I do not know if that will happen but if it does, and given the current context with "discovery" as a clear and present danger for CIG, it will be tantamount to a 100% admission that their loving tracker was a fraud.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/7kjakn/please_do_not_go_live/

e: Please go live for Xmas. Pretty please.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

MedicineHut posted:

I maintain my theory that it's subs that are accounting for that baseline. There is no other explanation, and there is no way that they will continue to fudge this, now that there is an active lawsuit filed, and which has the potential to throw all of this into discovery, seeing as the lawsuit is about money.

----------------

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

FailureToReport posted:

God help me, you're unblocked.

Yeah don't worry, not gonna fight with you over there, when I can do it here.

But looks like YT still doesn't let you send messages via a YT channel. So you're gonna have to DM me on Twitter so I can send you the details.

----------------

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:

Toops posted:

What a loving horrorshow he is.

Welcome to Star Citizen

I remember this being a new years eve stream. The next morning the streamer who goes by 'StaceyRoy' blocked WTFo on twitter and said words about it. A couple weeks later she was playing Star Citizen or something again with him however.

Edit: page 309 of this thread

Virtual Captain fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Dec 18, 2017

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Virtual Captain posted:

Welcome to Star Citizen

I remember this being a new years eve stream. The next morning the streamer who goes by 'StaceyRoy' blocked WTFo on twitter and said words about it. A couple weeks later she was playing Star Citizen or something again with him however.

She needed to leech WTF's viewer base. Yes, she was that desperate to be a twitch 'star'

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

those gifs of wtfosaurus are the straight up creepiest loving poo poo

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

alf_pogs posted:

Nah. WTF is the creepiest loving poo poo. The GIFs only reflect the person within them.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

alf_pogs posted:

He and Ben would make an awesome-creepy boss duo, like Ornstein and Smough.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

darkarchon posted:

hello

:pgabz:

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

fuctifino posted:

She needed to leech WTF's viewer base. Yes, she was that desperate to be a twitch 'star'

Surely at that point she'd be better off masturbating for pennies on a camsite?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

I am hearing that they have full intentions of doing so, though most of the devs are firmly against it. So worst case scenario, it's an open PTU to all, instead of making plebs pay via sub for a game already loving funding. That gets me every time.

I don't even see how they are going to get around the fact that even an open PTU of 3.0, is just as bad as the live 2.6.3. As if anyone is dumb enough to buy this lovely game at this moment in time anyway.

----------------