Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Queen_Combat fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Dec 26, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

Does anyone know anything about Dragon Fang Z? Googling is failing to turn up anything for me but a brief description and a trailer. The idea of a true roguelike on the Switch has certainly got my interest.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

What's the Switch case of choice? Buying it for some kids so nothing too fancy, just enough to protect it from getting hosed up.

Tiny Aorta Fairy
Dec 16, 2017

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Trying to make this as neutral as possible.

I've gotten maybe six hours into Mario Odyssey and it's finally caught me again. I loved the first hour, but felt a total slog for the following five. After BotW and even Shantae (love me some Shantae), Mario wasn't digging its hooks. Maybe my brain was expecting this fleshed-out world, or deeper mechanics or something. After hitting the Snow world it finally re-clicked and I feel like a kid with Mario 64 again.
You didn't like Wooded Kingdom or Metro Kingdom?

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde
I loved all the various Donkey Kong Arcade Cabinet references splattered as wall paintings in New Donk City.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Queen_Combat fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Dec 26, 2017

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Inzombiac posted:

NINTENDO

Give me Golden Sun

NOOOOOOOWWWWW

look, i loved golden sun as a kid, enough to argue about shipping on gamefaqs, but they super don't hold up as anything but mediocre jrpgs nowadays

also the third game sucked so i don't think the series can really be salvaged, let them go

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Golden Sun is one of those games that everyone thinks is good until they play it 10 years later and realize its pretty bad.

I do love that when Issac showed up in Smash he just used that stupid magic hand to push people. Accurate representation of what you spend most of the game doing.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Coming in Feb
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAUwCe_8DXE

GET HYPE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hfv1d3bMQ4Y

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Internet Kraken posted:

Golden Sun is one of those games that everyone thinks is good until they play it 10 years later and realize its pretty bad.

I do love that when Issac showed up in Smash he just used that stupid magic hand to push people. Accurate representation of what you spend most of the game doing.

As someone who played and 100%ed Golden Sun and has gone back to play it recently I agree with all of the above.

Also Pac-Man CE2 is a shadow of the first game.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I say the same thing about DX

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

mandatory lesbian posted:

look, i loved golden sun as a kid, enough to argue about shipping on gamefaqs, but they super don't hold up as anything but mediocre jrpgs nowadays

also the third game sucked so i don't think the series can really be salvaged, let them go

I posted on a forum named "golden sun fanfic forums" good times

I was happy when golden sun 3 proved new right about shipping but then I never played it and probably never will

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Also chiming in, Pac-Man CE2 is supposed to be hot garbage piled beneath the monument of the first game. Have yet to hear a positive word about it.

psychoJ
Feb 24, 2011

Smart and cool, handsome, wealthy and so sexy
i've played a good chunk of Pac-man CE2 and i like it a bunch. it still felt satisfying in the same way CEDX did to me. :shrug:

looking forward to this port, OP

Spellman
May 31, 2011

veni veni veni posted:

I missed Little Inferno back when it came out on iOS. Is it worth 10 bux on the eshop? Loved World Of Goo.

Yes, it is fun and novel. Also, it's not just what you see on the surface. In a great 2D Boy/Tomorrow Corporation twist, you'll find that the game is about more than just burning stuff. I also think the Switch version is the only multiplayer version, could be a great couples game, or something you leave on for people during Xmas (I've done this). The controls are point at the screen and click, great on TV, great on tabletop mode in your kitchen

Their third game, Human Resource Machine is also quite fascinating

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Wow, Shantae 1/2 Genie Hero looks gorgeous. I thought the spritework on the second one was really strong, but the new style is even better. These games don't get nearly enough love, they're bursting with charm.

They're bursting with something alright

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

I've gotten maybe six hours into Mario Odyssey and it's finally caught me again. I loved the first hour, but felt a total slog for the following five. After BotW and even Shantae (love me some Shantae), Mario wasn't digging its hooks. Maybe my brain was expecting this fleshed-out world, or deeper mechanics or something. After hitting the Snow world it finally re-clicked and I feel like a kid with Mario 64 again.

I found Mario Odyssey quite strange until I completed it, as I accidentally missed a lot of the set-pieces through being too efficient at collecting moons to see the third acts of any kingdoms.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Any good roguelikes/lites on this system? Aside from Isaac and Has Been Heroes?

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

njsykora posted:

As someone who played and 100%ed Golden Sun and has gone back to play it recently I agree with all of the above.

Also Pac-Man CE2 is a shadow of the first game.

Golden Sun is the series that made me realise exactly why I enjoy JRPGs, because it certainly wasn't for the battle system or story.

I just love exploring towns and collecting items it turns out. Also explains why I usually check out of Final Fantasies about three steps into the final dungeon.

Edit: one nice thing about GS that I wish other game would do more is how useful your magic was out of battle. There's not many games that let you mind-read every NPC in the game or use your second sight to reveal which barrels actually have items in them for example.

Mr Phillby fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Dec 18, 2017

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

The Moon Monster posted:

Mysterious Gensokyo comes out in Japan this week (after being on the PS4, Vita and PC), but no idea about its localization status. If you want to take control of a bunch of really violent magical girls and beat up fairies with a whiffle ball bat it’s the game for you.

I already have it on the PS4 but I might double dip.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Dec 18, 2017

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

This avatar helped buy Lowtax a new skeleton.

The Moon Monster posted:

Neurovoider has been pretty fun playing local mp imho.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

homeless snail posted:

I say the same thing about DX

What the gently caress

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

It seems like everyone playing XC2 has some sort of weird anime Stockholm syndrome.

“This anime tittysword game with 85 hours of tutorial that runs like garbage and has overlevelled enemies everywhere sure is fun guys I love it”

I don’t get it
It's almost like it has a few problems which overall aren't detrimental to the experience, and is still fun. Amazing, right??

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Hace posted:

What the gently caress
CE DX is super gimmicky with very little nuance, CE 2 is a watered down DX, but straight up CE 1 is the modern pac-man game we deserve

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

On the other hand DX is fun unlike actual Pac-Man

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

On the other hand DX is fun unlike actual Pac-Man

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

homeless snail posted:

CE DX is super gimmicky with very little nuance, CE 2 is a watered down DX, but straight up CE 1 is the modern pac-man game we deserve

DX is better than any pacman game by a mile

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
I liked DX a lot on steam, and the Rally X music was tight as gently caress. I heard the 2nd game was rear end but if it has RallyX in it then who the gently caress am i to judge!?

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

I posted on a forum named "golden sun fanfic forums" good times

I was happy when golden sun 3 proved new right about shipping but then I never played it and probably never will

the third game sucked specifically bc mudshipping wasn't canon

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

The Moon Monster posted:

Enter the gungeon is on it, and that's my favorite roguelike around. If you played it when it first came out, it's much better now so don't let that color your perceptions. I say this as someone who bought the game at release and hated it

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

The Moon Monster posted:

If you care about art direction GoNNER is a really pretty game

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I absolutely loathe Wooded Kingdom. Don't think I'll ever go back if I have the choice.

If you didn't break out in a huge :haw: as soon as that jazz music started playing, you are dead inside.

RCarr fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Dec 18, 2017

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

mandatory lesbian posted:

the third game sucked specifically bc mudshipping wasn't canon

They basically just made Isaac/Jenna (barely) canon right? Like from what I remember of Dark Dawn it sort of played out like a fever dream where they just glossed over mentioning just about anything as followup and you didn't even learn Jenna was Matthew's mother until like halfway through the game when someone makes an offhand comment about it. And that only implies it iirc.

God that game was loving weird.

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time

The Moon Monster posted:

Enter the Gungeon is another roguelite. I love it but other people are not as hot on it; just read up before pulling the trigger.

Conner is supposedly a pretty good roguelite and is on sale right now in NA.

There’s also Yodanji, which bills itself as as “coffee-break roguelike”. It’s cute, if a bit simple, from what I’ve played but you could do worse for five dollars.

my new dog
May 7, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo

Dr. VooDoo posted:

I hope a lot of people get a Switch on Christmas or as their holiday present because a Switch is the Perfect gift

im getting one for my lil bro :D

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I've never played Mario 64. If I were to play it now what's my best option? I have a Wii U, 3DS, and a raspberry pi with Retro Pi installed.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Wildtortilla posted:

I've never played Mario 64. If I were to play it now what's my best option? I have a Wii U, 3DS, and a raspberry pi with Retro Pi installed.

Wii U virtual console probably. The DS remake is okay, but kind of bogs the game down with its added character subsystems in an obnoxious way and controls pretty badly imo.

I've hear Retro Pi doesn't handle N64 well and lags inputs.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Zore posted:

Wii U virtual console probably. The DS remake is okay, but kind of bogs the game down with its added character subsystems in an obnoxious way and controls pretty badly imo.

I've hear Retro Pi doesn't handle N64 well and lags inputs.

Retropie is fine for some N64 stuff if you're willing to fiddle with some settings. I had to change the default core to play me some Wave Race but it runs perfectly and playing Mario 64 perfectly is basically the minimum acceptable requirement for any N64 emulator.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/CaptainToss/status/942446202053804032

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Zore posted:

They basically just made Isaac/Jenna (barely) canon right? Like from what I remember of Dark Dawn it sort of played out like a fever dream where they just glossed over mentioning just about anything as followup and you didn't even learn Jenna was Matthew's mother until like halfway through the game when someone makes an offhand comment about it. And that only implies it iirc.

God that game was loving weird.

I swear they mention it early on in the first dungeon.

Also Isaac/Jenna being/becoming a couple was inferred in a few places in The Lost Age, wasn't it?

• Locked thread