Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Aix posted:

if you cover your notebook webcam im going to assume you masturbate in front of the computer and touch it without washing your hands afterwards so dont do that you gross freak. nobody covers their phone front camera either so get real

You'd be surprised, I've seen at least 3 people cover their work laptop and/or phone cameras.

In some companies it's seal the camera or hand over the phone for later retrieval when going into secure areas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Furia
Jul 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

gschmidl posted:

You'd be surprised, I've seen at least 3 people cover their work laptop and/or phone cameras.

In some companies it's seal the camera or hand over the phone for later retrieval when going into secure areas.

Some computers even have a built in piece of plastic you can slide for coverage/uncoverage

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 50 minutes!
Pillbug
Covering the camera is the dumbest loving thing to do. Hackers can listen to your microphone, see what's on your screen, track your position, intercept your network traffic and browse your files to steal them on your PC, your mobile devices and your cloud accounts. No hackers but the most basic of bitches would care what's in front of your camera.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.
Jokes on them for having to watch me staring at a screen doing nothing for 9 hours a day every day only to find out I don't jack off standing up in front of my laptop like a moron

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

There's been some cases of hackers perving on teenage girls undressing in their rooms, so if you tend to have your laptop open in the room where also your wardrobe and bed is (as I guess plenty of teenagers/college students do) and don't want to unknowingly become a camgirl, then I guess it's a legit enough reason to cover it up :shrug:

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
That whole exchange was definitely "this is what I would say to justify covering my webcam if someone were to call me out on it" but then it never happens so they dump it on the internet instead

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

evobatman posted:

Covering the camera is the dumbest loving thing to do. Hackers can listen to your microphone, see what's on your screen, track your position, intercept your network traffic and browse your files to steal them on your PC, your mobile devices and your cloud accounts. No hackers but the most basic of bitches would care what's in front of your camera.

Yeah but if I'm working at home I don't want to accidentally send a pic of my balls to the company Yammer or something.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Zuckerberg, Mueller, and the everyone at the nsa cover their cameras so it seems like a decent idea

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002
The thing where some high school IT security department took a bunch of pictures of some kid in his underwear while in his bedroom kind of makes it a good idea too.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
There's also the fact that it's really easy to do and undo so why the hell not.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

evobatman posted:

"Locking your door is the dumbest loving thing to do. Burglars can break your windows, smash the door down with a ram, impersonate a police officer and con their way inside and forge your signature to steal money straight from your bank. No burglars but the most basic of bitches would care whether your door was locked or not."
:goonsay:

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
Why would you also want to give a hacker full HD video of you jackin' it if they've already compromised your household accounts? You've got enough problems at that point.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

The_White_Crane posted:

"Locking your door is the dumbest loving thing to do. Burglars can break your windows, smash the door down with a ram, impersonate a police officer and con their way inside and forge your signature to steal money straight from your bank. No burglars but the most basic of bitches would care whether your door was locked or not."
:goonsay:

yah that's a terrible analogy, online security and physical security aren't remotely same in execution.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
A compromised webcam can easily generate blackmail material. Any decent exploit kit includes modules to make it super easy including turning off the activity light. One topless (or bottomless) shot could be used in so many ways. If the victim is a teenage, it can be even worse (and they are more likely to be targets of just-smart-enough-to-be-dangerous hacker / bullies, too).

An open mic? What are they going to get? The sound of me typing and listening to Christmas music?

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd
As far as concerned you can all have a video of me jacking it.

Check your inbox ;)

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

NAR posted:

(The first day of kindergarten, we get to choose anywhere we want to sit. Unknown to us, these seats are put on the seating chart. The next time, I want to sit somewhere different.)

Teacher: “Welcome, class. Now, let’s take role with your seating chart.”

(At this point, many of us become scared and confused because we aren’t sitting in our original seats.)

Teacher: “Now that everyone is settled and in their seats from last week, I’ll go down the rows and double-check.”

(She gets out a stamp and starts with the first few kids; they are all sitting in their original seats and get “good job” stamps on their hands. All the kids sigh, realizing we probably won’t be punished. Then she gets to the next kid.)

Teacher: “There is always one kid…”

Kid #1: “One kid who does what?”

Teacher: “One kid like you who sits wherever they want.”

(Then the teacher takes out a stamp and stamps the kid’s forehead. It reads, “Fail.” All of our eyes go wide.)

Kid #2: “My mom will kill me if I have a mark on my forehead!”

Me: “THIS IS PROBABLY AGAINST THE CONSTITUTION!”

All The Kids: “YEAH!”

(All the kids who sat in the right places stay quiet while the rest of us chant. At that moment, the teacher stamps my forehead three times with the “fail” stamp. I am very sensitive and begin to cry.)

Me: “But… but… I was just… just… telling the truth!”

Teacher: “Now, listen: there will be no uprisings in my class this year!”

These are... 5 and 6 year olds, right? That's kindergarten age? I've worked with kids of that age and yeah no, what?

Furia
Jul 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer
"That's against the constitution!" said the five year old child

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
"are you in your seats from last week?" says the teacher, on my second day in this place

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!

Furia posted:

"That's against the constitution!" said the five year old child

In all fairness, kindergartners are the original sovereign citizens.

"Nuh uh, you can't give me timeout! You're a maritime jurisdiction!"
*gets put in timeout anyways*
"Buh-but you're a maritime jurisdiction!" :cry:

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
If it turned out that kid was Albert Einstein who turned into an American eagle and flew away shedding a silent tear for liberty, that would be the most stdh that ever didn't happen. :psyduck:

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

If it turned out that kid was Albert Einstein who turned into an American eagle and flew away shedding a silent tear for liberty, that would be the most stdh that ever didn't happen. :psyduck:

Only if someone also yelled out "i volunteer as tribute"/"troll in the dungeon" and someone turned purple and their jaw hit the floor, and then someone's phone went off and the ringtone was the tardis noise and they married a girl who recognized it.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
https://www.theonion.com/area-man-passionate-defender-of-what-he-imagines-consti-1819571149

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

evobatman posted:

You know, the average person can take ONE step by taping over their camera. They are not going to singlehandedly defeat the digital underworld in daily hacking. So why not let them take that one step that makes them feel better? Besides, there have been more than a few cases of RAT-based sextortion...

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

I am like 98% sure a high school or college over in the ol US of A used the webcams on their school laptops to view and take photos of their students. What possible reason could you have to not cover the camera on your laptop at this point is my thinking.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

eating only apples posted:

Teacher: “Now, listen: there will be no uprisings in my class this year!”

Is she saying she's had kindergarten uprisings before?

dovetaile
Jul 8, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Biplane posted:

I am like 98% sure a high school or college over in the ol US of A used the webcams on their school laptops to view and take photos of their students. What possible reason could you have to not cover the camera on your laptop at this point is my thinking.

Oh it's happened.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

I, too, remember pretty much all of kindergarten word-for-word and was the most precocious kindergartener ever

EKDS5k
Feb 22, 2012

THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU LET YOUR BEER FREEZE, DAMNIT

Elizabethan Error posted:

yah that's a terrible analogy, online security and physical security aren't remotely same in execution.

It's a great analogy. Most door locks are one step up from useless, and even if they're not, there's dozens of other ways to break into a house. But it keeps out the opportunist criminal who is going through a neighbourhood checking doors to see if they were left unlocked. Same thing with covering your webcam: there's a dozen other ways you can get hacked, sure, but it will stop some random anon from grabbing at low hanging fruit.

Samizdata posted:

You know, the average person can take ONE step by taping over their camera. They are not going to singlehandedly defeat the digital underworld in daily hacking. So why not let them take that one step that makes them feel better? Besides, there have been more than a few cases of RAT-based sextortion...

Exactly. If your poo poo gets hacked, then yeah, your identity gets stolen and it sucks rear end. But if you didn't cover up your webcam, then your poo poo gets hacked, your identity gets stolen, it sucks rear end, and also dozens of videos of you masturbating get uploaded to 4chan.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

eating only apples posted:

These are... 5 and 6 year olds, right? That's kindergarten age? I've worked with kids of that age and yeah no, what?

That's where you call shenanigans? Not that someone can remember that much of kindergarten? I don't even remember what the room of my kindergarten looked like or the teacher or if I ever got in trouble?

I do believe the kid would think his parents would be pissed if he went home with the word "fail" on his forehead though. Only if I were a parent it wouldn't be the kid I'd be mad at but the teacher because :wtc:

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

EKDS5k posted:

It's a great analogy. Most door locks are one step up from useless, and even if they're not, there's dozens of other ways to break into a house. But it keeps out the opportunist criminal who is going through a neighbourhood checking doors to see if they were left unlocked. Same thing with covering your webcam: there's a dozen other ways you can get hacked, sure, but it will stop some random anon from grabbing at low hanging fruit.

Exactly. If your poo poo gets hacked, then yeah, your identity gets stolen and it sucks rear end. But if you didn't cover up your webcam, then your poo poo gets hacked, your identity gets stolen, it sucks rear end, and also dozens of videos of you masturbating get uploaded to 4chan.

Right. And I don't want any lamefags watching me wank.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
There was a thing recently in the middle east of people getting blackmailed from being conned into jerking off over webcam via a fake profile on Facebook with a prerecorded video.
This gets recorded then threatened to have it shown to all if they don't pay up.

In this case they play up heavily on the amount of shame most Arab blokes would feel if their family saw them doing this.

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-37735369

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Biplane posted:

There was a scumbag hacker who would leave this error message on young women's macbooks

" "You should fix your internal sensor soon. If unsure what to do, try putting your laptop near hot steam for several minutes to clean the sensor.""

He apparently was quite successful at getting naked pictures, since his victims would just leave the laptop in the bathroom while showering

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

Tunicate posted:

There was a scumbag hacker who would leave this error message on young women's macbooks

" "You should fix your internal sensor soon. If unsure what to do, try putting your laptop near hot steam for several minutes to clean the sensor.""

He apparently was quite successful at getting naked pictures, since his victims would just leave the laptop in the bathroom while showering

The thing I don't get is that people think 'hmm yeah gonna leave my electronics running next to a hot shower, this is a good idea.' Why not boil the kettle and leave it next to a cup of hot water or something.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

EKDS5k posted:

. Same thing with covering your webcam: there's a dozen other ways you can get hacked, sure, but it will stop some random anon from grabbing at low hanging fruit.

In this situation, the low hanging fruit is an analogy for your nuts.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Random dog laxatives in the company break room fridge

Nerd power fantasy.

Muhahaha 600 calories. Count yourself vanquished, girl.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Why did that last person use a bandaid to stick their message to the wall? Did they not have sellotape?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2402502/Vancouver-woman-Kayla-Smith-gets-stolen-bike-seeing-sale-Craigslist.html

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

EKDS5k posted:

it's still a terrible analogy(webcams don't provide entry to anything) and you're missing the point: if they can see your webcam, they're ALREADY INSIDE your computer and can access more damaging info(like login info, banking info etc.)

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Elizabethan Error posted:

it's still a terrible analogy(webcams don't provide entry to anything) and you're missing the point: if they can see your webcam, they're ALREADY INSIDE your computer and can access more damaging info(like login info, banking info etc.)

Banking info, piffle. They might see my peener!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

Indolent Bastard posted:

Banking info, piffle. They might see my peener!

I mean, what if your bank uses dick prints to validate transactions?