Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Grand Prize Winner posted:

what's the deal with irish imagery and white supremacists/pepes?? my only assumption is that these fuckers are consciously trying to associate themselves with the orange order and their ilk

don’t know the full story but braveheart was apparently big in white supremacy circles. a professor talking about the Irish diaspora brought it up in class

also guess what kind of person is least likely to attend a scot/celt/brit heritage event.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Zeroisanumber posted:

Lol at being proud of having read The Lord of The Rings series.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Isn't the sane response to British colonialism of Ireland, and their economic policies impoverishing tenant farmers and driving a diaspora from their homeland, the development of a sense of solidarity across racial lines?????

Maybe it's just a colonist thing, after they've developed a new identity as overseers over other marginalized groups.

Funny enough, you know who else are huge white supremacists who constantly antagonize their neighbors as part of the political identity? The very same British colonists in Northern Ireland.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

cumshitter posted:

don’t know the full story but braveheart was apparently big in white supremacy circles. a professor talking about the Irish diaspora brought it up in class

also guess what kind of person is least likely to attend a scot/celt/brit heritage event.

it's just weird to me; my grandma told stories about how the Klan hosed with her (first-gen irish) parents in the 1910s; the stories basically made the next few generations very hostile to the idea of white supremacy and protestantism in general

Phobophilia posted:

Isn't the sane response to British colonialism of Ireland, and their economic policies impoverishing tenant farmers and driving a diaspora from their homeland, the development of a sense of solidarity across racial lines?????

Heard somewhere else: poverty doesn't ennoble, it tends to just make you miserable, a kind of misery that can be slightly alleviated by hurting someone lower on the totem pole than you. See the New York draft riots in the civil war for an example

e: your "sane response" is similar to my semimasturbatory fantasy wherein all the natives of english-occupied territory, from scotland and wales all the way to the zulus to the first nations in canada and the australian aborigines, somehow manage to throw off the norman yoke and then have a big interracial fuckfest

Grand Prize Winner has issued a correction as of 09:53 on Dec 18, 2017

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
you know what today is

it's dec. 18

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ub6LGfFTnmc

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
time to start the betting pool

who lives? who dies?

my guess is 'nothing will happen'

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

wait, was there some kind of alt-right thing about 12/18?

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.

12-18 is their preferred dating age.

break-up breakdown
Mar 6, 2010

it's the twitter purge!

nothing will happen

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

by this time friday there will be exactly five left-wing posters left on twitter and they will all be cops

Zeerust
May 1, 2008

They must have guessed, once or twice - guessed and refused to believe - that everything, always, collectively, had been moving toward that purified shape latent in the sky, that shape of no surprise, no second chance, no return.
lol that alt-right dude with the timeline post from two pages back got purged

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

rip in peace

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/inihelene/status/942683255727443968

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Zeerust posted:

lol that alt-right dude with the timeline post from two pages back got purged
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JUCfX1P1ik

RedneckwithGuns
Mar 28, 2007

Up Next:
Fifteen Inches of
SHEER DYNAMITE

https://twitter.com/Kittenfish87/status/942688993023614977

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

why the feds worried bout me clockin on this corner/
when there's politicians out here gettin popped in arizona

Kit Walker posted:

Some people believe that indentured servitude was the same thing as slavery and that black people didn’t have it any worse than the Irish in the US

my weird coworker was trying to argue this the other day except also saying there was actual irish chattel slavery or something insane but he doesnt seem to be a nazi, he's a total new agey hippy tool whos super into his celtic heritage and shows it by adding random, poorly pronounced gaelic words into his everyday conversation and also by owning several kilts.

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

i’m p sure she’s extremely jewish instead

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

i would remove that kebab any day bby

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

the great deceiver posted:

my weird coworker was trying to argue this the other day except also saying there was actual irish chattel slavery or something insane but he doesnt seem to be a nazi, he's a total new agey hippy tool whos super into his celtic heritage and shows it by adding random, poorly pronounced gaelic words into his everyday conversation and also by owning several kilts.

These are great. Another one one is people who pretend to be Russian and insert random faux Russian words that can only result from not actually being able to read Cyrillic, like thinking "pectopah" is the Russian word for "restaurant"

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

the great deceiver posted:

he proto-fash

the kilts are a big warning sign it shows the fash is starting to progress after the initial incubation stage

goodog
Nov 3, 2007

what's the deal with irish imagery and white supremacists/pepes?? my only assumption is that these fuckers are consciously trying to associate themselves with the orange order and their ilk

A shamrock is also one of the primary symbols of the Aryan Brotherhood. Because white Americans are such a melting pot, American racists have to grasp at any sort of regional European national identity. Same reason they're deeply invested in Rhodesia despite it being an extinct state with zero connection to their lives.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

it's just weird to me; my grandma told stories about how the Klan hosed with her (first-gen irish) parents in the 1910s; the stories basically made the next few generations very hostile to the idea of white supremacy and protestantism in general

I think the Irish weren't fully assimilated as "white" until the civil rights era, when all the property owning WASPs felt they needed a united front against black homeowners. There was always a basic line drawn between blacks and Irish before, but it wasn't "mainstream" until after WW2. The KKK were giving your great grandparents poo poo because back then antipapism was still an animating motive for the Klan. Hating catholics was the biggest form of bigotry in the United States until slave emancipation gave white people an even bigger population to fear.

There is an argument to be made that the Irish had it worse than slaves, but that's only because free Irish laborers didn't represent a capital investment, so it was cheaper to work them to death and not have to pay them. The New Basin Canal was dug in New Orleans during the 1830s, and they never kept track of how many Irishmen died constructing it. Estimates range between 4,000-30,000, and they just buried the bodies unmarked in the levee or in the roadway fill. The historical experiences of blacks and Irish both represent the absolute extremes of gross exploitation under American capitalism, but instead of using that legacy to form the basis of a racial solidarity Irish guys use it to dismiss the slave experience as not that bad. In fact, they insist the Irish themselves were slaves but it's not the same thing. The Irish weren't the only later wave European migrants to be so grossly exploited either.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Shear Modulus posted:

i like the joke about the way you prevent your mormon friend from drinking all your beer is you invite another mormon

its a good joke

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

and everyone in the class clapped

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

while my loving oval office lib of a teacher was trying to make me learn about math I was reading Evola riding the tiger

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
It's extremely funny that right wingers think that poo poo like Evola's Mystical Cantrips to Hex the Diabolical Jew and Mencius Moldbug's essays on how the Monopoly board game mascot should be the god emperor is good literature.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

SunAndSpring posted:

It's extremely funny that right wingers think that poo poo like Evola's Mystical Cantrips to Hex the Diabolical Jew and Mencius Moldbug's essays on how the Monopoly board game mascot should be the god emperor is good literature.

They operate under the delusion that the more esoteric knowledge is, the more correct it must be - and not that particular works are esoteric because they're goofy unbelievable bullshit.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Jared Taylor and American Renaissance have been banned, afaik the first major ban of the Twitter purge

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

American Renaissance can choke on my chode

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

Jared Taylor and American Renaissance have been banned, afaik the first major ban of the Twitter purge

Also the American Nazi Party and a bunch of accounts related to Britain First.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

:getin:

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

Skeptical but interested to see how this all shakes out.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Will Sommer is covering the purge

https://twitter.com/willsommer

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

they’re gonna get some of left Twitter with this, but it looks like they’re absolutely going to dynamite alt right twitter, which hopefully drives all the pepes to gab

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY
pls purge weird mike

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

I don't expect anyone on jack's follow list will get purged.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY
maybe he was only following them to give them a false sense of security

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

:sweden:

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
somebody please change the sweden emote to a crying mushroom

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU