Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

The high elf early game is so goddamn boring. spears and archers what is this 500 bc?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feller
Jul 5, 2006

More like prehistoric game

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
to play high elves is to play any other total war title and get bored before dragons

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe
I dunno playing as Teclis feels unique enough as he becomes so ridiculously OP once you start getting his passive-stacking abilities.

As Tyrion though? Eeeeh the boy is strong but very cookie cutter so i guess i'll sort of agree with you.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
The problem with Teclis is that his starting positions, both in the vortex campaign and ME, are terrible slogs, with your only option being to plunge deep into the lustrian thunderdome.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Angry Lobster posted:

The problem with Teclis is that his starting positions, both in the vortex campaign and ME, are terrible slogs, with your only option being to plunge deep into the lustrian thunderdome.

In ME this sucks, but in Vortex I'd take Thunderdome 2: Wrathful Lizard, Sneaking Vermin over Bugman Lite presents loving Elfbowl any day of the week.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Senor Dog posted:

The high elf early game is so goddamn boring. spears and archers what is this 500 bc?

The High Elves have essentially the same roster as an eastern Diadochii faction, trading elephants for Phoenixes and Dragons. Also literal wizards.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
https://twitter.com/totalwar/status/942756349053689856

Uhhhhh....Beastmen confirmed?

I mean, there's obviously the Egyptian stuff in the background, but I think someone may have goofed with that letter.

edit: They just pulled it, definitely a goof.

madmac fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Dec 18, 2017

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
Here's the real thing:

https://twitter.com/totalwar/status/942759949159026688

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
Tomb Kings announcement tomorrow, nice.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Senor Dog posted:

Lol if you think that's just the early game composition. This is why the mod that reduces upkeep is important, you need to be able to field more expensive armies to have fun with, even though the bulk of your everything is spears and arrows.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Anyone else feel like they overtuned direct damage magic a bit in 2 after people bitched too much in 1. Fate of Bjuna is absurd and can take out whole units in a single cast with 0 counterplay since you can't even dodge it for instance.

Bringing a Death Caster feels like cheating sometimes. Especially when you compare it to other spells that cost way more magic and hit like a feather in comparison like Fiery Convocation which is just :effort: the spell.

Zore fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Dec 18, 2017

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
My real issue with HE is the starts. Teclis' ME start is a horrid slog and Tyrion has to beat down at minimum two other HE factions plus one of his quest battles is against them. I really wish Ulthuan worked more like Athel Loren and you didn't have to attack your elfbros unless you wanted to.

Psyched for TK to enter the Badlands thunderdome. I just wish Skaven had more of a presence and it'd go from the worst area of TWW to the funnest.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I have yet to see a late-game Skaven power bloc. I've only contended with enormous late game vampires, lizards, dwarfs, and high/dark elfs. I think it's because a Skaven army performs much better when 2 armies are reinforcing each other but Skaven AI just sends out armies of 10 Clanrats, 4 skavenslaves, and a bunch of gutter runners or whatever.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Zore posted:

Anyone else feel like they overtuned direct damage magic a bit in 2 after people bitched too much in 1. Fate of Bjuna is absurd and can take out whole units in a single cast with 0 counterplay since you can't even dodge it for instance.

Bringing a Death Caster feels like cheating sometimes. Especially when you compare it to other spells that cost way more magic and hit like a feather in comparison like Fiery Convocation which is just :effort: the spell.

Most Direct Damage spells are weaker than they were in Warhammer 1, actually, including both Spirit Leech and Fate of Bjuna IIRC.

I think they've got the balance a lot better these days, most damage spells are good, Fiery Convocation is just kinda trash for some reason and needs to be buffed. (FYI, the difference between normal and overcast is gigantic, the normal version is low damage, 0 AP, overcast is twice as much damage 100% AP.)

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

jokes posted:

I have yet to see a late-game Skaven power bloc. I've only contended with enormous late game vampires, lizards, dwarfs, and high/dark elfs. I think it's because a Skaven army performs much better when 2 armies are reinforcing each other but Skaven AI just sends out armies of 10 Clanrats, 4 skavenslaves, and a bunch of gutter runners or whatever.

It's weird because in Vortex I have seen Skaven factions do decently at attacking you with 2 armies at once, and that helps a lot even if most of them are trash units, but never with ME Skaven. I think it's mostly a matter of not enough Skaven clans in the Old World/all the Skaven clans being exposed to strong opponents right at game start except for Mors, which kills their momentum dead.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

How are Chaos after the patch? I'm looking at a new game, and I've never played Chaos. Their style is awesome, but I always hear terrible things about their mechanics.

Looking for something with infantry that can hold the line while various cavalry and/or monsters run amok.

jokes posted:

Had a Skrolk game where I sailed over to confederate Skryre around turn 80. Was surprised to find Queek not only alive and well, but in charge of all of Araby and pushing into the badlands. He was #2 power rank behind Tyrion.

drans
Sep 1, 2016
Ramrod XTreme
Extremely hype for Tomb Kings. Im really hoping they play like they did pre 8th edition. If they end up being yet another spear and arrow faction with unusable gimmick units I'll be genuinely annoyed

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
It is more that the autoresolve just kind of hates their guts, combined with the AI building consistently awful skaven armies.

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe
Well you're in luck there, Chaos has access to super heavy infantry that will hold the line for days if need be and their cav is also very good.

The problem is getting to them and starting off with........ mar---auders.. shameful viking men who you will regret having in your army at all times.

Okay to be fair Horsemasters are pretty sweet once they get the army bonuses but other than that eeeh the dogs are nice?? You will need something semi-fast to be able to catch all those damned mounted skirmishers otherwise you'll be in a special kind of hell that only happens to Warriors of Chaos where you're constantly chasing after skirmishers.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
Or you could just wait the.... four months until they fix Norsca!

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Gejnor posted:

Well you're in luck there, Chaos has access to super heavy infantry that will hold the line for days if need be and their cav is also very good.

The problem is getting to them and starting off with........ mar---auders.. shameful viking men who you will regret having in your army at all times.

Okay to be fair Horsemasters are pretty sweet once they get the army bonuses but other than that eeeh the dogs are nice?? You will need something semi-fast to be able to catch all those damned mounted skirmishers otherwise you'll be in a special kind of hell that only happens to Warriors of Chaos where you're constantly chasing after skirmishers.

How do the LLs stack up? It looks like Sigvald gets no mount...and Kholek is his own mount.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Devorum posted:

How do the LLs stack up? It looks like Sigvald gets no mount...and Kholek is his own mount.

You can be an idiot, a vain idiot, or a cool frickin monster. Can you play the bird dude in campaign? He’s cool too

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe

Senor Dog posted:

You can be an idiot, a vain idiot, or a cool frickin monster. Can you play the bird dude in campaign? He’s cool too

You can, with a mod!

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
I would love if they implemented Nagash in the Tomb Kings DLC as some kind of threat/adversary, highly unlikely though.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Devorum posted:

How are Chaos after the patch? I'm looking at a new game, and I've never played Chaos. Their style is awesome, but I always hear terrible things about their mechanics.

Looking for something with infantry that can hold the line while various cavalry and/or monsters run amok.

This is the playstyle of Chaos so no need to look further for that.

Just be sure to raze your marauder recruitment building and replace it with the chaos warrior building asap. This will let you skip that awful first part of the campaign where you are forced to use the weak marauder units, and you can instead go directly to the fantastic heavy infantry that defines your faction. The building costs depend on the amount of buildings already built in your horde, so razing one building to replace it with another one makes sense sometimes.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

Angry Lobster posted:

I would love if they implemented Nagash in the Tomb Kings DLC as some kind of threat/adversary, highly unlikely though.

I think that’s pretty possible tbh, considering they’re gonna be in the vortex campaign first and foremost, but apparently not actual interact with the vortex ritual stuff at all, so they will need a campaign endgame.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Angry Lobster posted:

I am pretty sure the Tomb Kings victory condition will involve stopping Nagash from returning or helping him come back (if you're Arkhan The Black or whatever), since they've mentioned DLC factions won't interact with the Vortex.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

Venturing at a guess this "Stolen Magic" refers to whatever Nagash took off the Dark Elves that were brought to him back in the livelier days of Khemri, that he "interrogated" to learn all he could of their dark magic that he then adopted into Necromancy and committed the greatest boner of all time. Cute reference if true, since some of the Dark Elves of the time period could very well be alive, particularly if the mistress they're writing to is Morathi herself.

Angry Lobster posted:

Rebuild the Black Pyramid, accept a quest to regather the big books of Nagash tomfoolery, and then immediately regret that decision when he pops up and just generally ruins everything while cackling like a moron.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I really wish Ulthuan worked more like Athel Loren and you didn't have to attack your elfbros unless you wanted to.

My Eltharion startpos mod works like that. No high on high violence unless you really want it (and are willing to be treated like the monster you are).

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

I think that’s pretty possible tbh, considering they’re gonna be in the vortex campaign first and foremost, but apparently not actual interact with the vortex ritual stuff at all, so they will need a campaign endgame.

ZearothK posted:

I am pretty sure the Tomb Kings victory condition will involve stopping Nagash from returning or helping him come back (if you're Arkhan The Black or whatever), since they've mentioned DLC factions won't interact with the Vortex.

Really? I thought the new factions would be a part of the Vortex storyline too.

EDIT:

Zudgemud posted:

This is the playstyle of Chaos so no need to look further for that.

Just be sure to raze your marauder recruitment building and replace it with the chaos warrior building asap. This will let you skip that awful first part of the campaign where you are forced to use the weak marauder units, and you can instead go directly to the fantastic heavy infantry that defines your faction. The building costs depend on the amount of buildings already built in your horde, so razing one building to replace it with another one makes sense sometimes.

That's probably something that should have been explained.

SirPhoebos fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Dec 18, 2017

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

sassassin posted:

My Eltharion startpos mod works like that. No high on high violence unless you really want it (and are willing to be treated like the monster you are).

I'll probably try that out next time I do high elves.

On skaven, I really wish they, beastmen, and orcs had more of a presence on the map. They tend to just get swatted down wherever they appear. At least beastmen respawn and there are a decent number of orc factions, but skaven are nearly a non-factor if you don't start next to them. Hopefully having an LL (Ikit) in Skavenblight will help.

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL

madmac posted:

https://twitter.com/totalwar/status/942756349053689856

Uhhhhh....Beastmen confirmed?

I mean, there's obviously the Egyptian stuff in the background, but I think someone may have goofed with that letter.

edit: They just pulled it, definitely a goof.

what was on the removed one?

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

Pyronic posted:

what was on the removed one?

It was just the old beastmen teaser letter from the first game.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Hopefully having an LL (Ikit) in Skavenblight will help.

Speaking of this, what do we reckon the free DLC in January is likely to be? If it's going to be at all similar to the FLC tracker (now outdated), it'll be a Skaven Legendary Lord, but a Skryre lord seems more likely to come as paid DLC along with extra units for the Complete Skryre Experience. So is a Moulder LL (with start position in Hell Pit on the Mortal Empires map) more likely?

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

John Charity Spring posted:

Speaking of this, what do we reckon the free DLC in January is likely to be? If it's going to be at all similar to the FLC tracker (now outdated), it'll be a Skaven Legendary Lord, but a Skryre lord seems more likely to come as paid DLC along with extra units for the Complete Skryre Experience. So is a Moulder LL (with start position in Hell Pit on the Mortal Empires map) more likely?

The FLC in January is confirmed to be a a Skaven LL, and confirmed to not be Thanquol.

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe
Its probably Throt the Unclean, the moulder guy since he has a solid starting point on the ME map with his Hellpit.

Lookin' Good.

The other option is Deathmaster Snikch and Eshin, but they dont really have a good start in ME just now so it may need more finetuning of startposses before they release them as another FLC.

Some fools getting the stabbings.

Skryre sounds too much like a DLC, it might containt BOTH Ikit and Thanqoul, to keep in line the promise of more LL's per DLC or whatever.

I think Skaven will be this game's VC, in that they'll get quite a few FLC lords, i base this around the fact that there is a specific clanstone effect for every major skaven clan in the game, one you can only see if you're actually playing that faction (which you can with an unlocker mod):

Eshin: An aoe direct damage, 3 charges
Moulder: An aoe heal of some kind, 3 charges
Skryre: A -44% magic resistance aoe debuff, 3 charges

Why add abilities you'd only see if you were playing said faction? Probably because they intend to fill out theese factions to become fully playable.

FlyingCowOfDoom
Aug 1, 2003

let the beat drop
As someone not as up to date on WHF lore, how will the Tomb Kings be different from the Vampire undead already in game? Are their units that much different?

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

FlyingCowOfDoom posted:

As someone not as up to date on WHF lore, how will the Tomb Kings be different from the Vampire undead already in game? Are their units that much different?

Lots of chariots, solid archers and artillery are the big things they have that VC don't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
well they should have archers and catapults, so that alone will make them a different play style from Vampire Counts. My understanding is that Tomb Kings are basically people who got cursed to be skeletons. They're not mindless constructs controlled by the necromancers or whatever like VC troops.