Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
...what the gently caress, McGovern?! I mean, gun control clearly was not a liberal litmus test in 1968 but I have a relatively positive opinion of ol' Acid, Amnesty, and Abortion and this surprises me.

(I'm taking that one back from Nixon because gently caress Nixon)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

The Trump caricature is decent, but that's a great Melania.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

I laughed at this one lmao.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

DACK FAYDEN posted:

...what the gently caress, McGovern?! I mean, gun control clearly was not a liberal litmus test in 1968 but I have a relatively positive opinion of ol' Acid, Amnesty, and Abortion and this surprises me.

I can't say what, specifically, McGovern's problem with that bill was, but I do know that in the 60's, gun control was tied up in race, since just about every gun control law on the books up to that point existed to keep guns out of the hands of black people specifically. So maybe that had something to do with it.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Didn't McGovern vote for Reagan

E: No I remembered wrong, he voted for Ford in '76. He voted for Carter in 1980

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Dec 18, 2017

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

VitalSigns posted:

E: No I remembered wrong, he voted for Ford in '76.

I mean, he's from South Dakota, I'd be surprised if he didn't have lovely opinions about gun ownership.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

VitalSigns posted:

E: No I remembered wrong, he voted for Ford in '76. He voted for Carter in 1980
Wow:

quote:

MCGOVERN: I have to tell you something I've never said before publicly. I voted for him in 1976.

KING: What?

MCGOVERN: When he -- yes, I did. And at Thanksgiving dinner that year, I never said anything about this to Eleanor or to her five children. But I told them at Thanksgiving time I had voted for President Ford, even though he lost. And I told them why, because I thought he had come in at a difficult time. I didn't know President Carter very well then. And I just felt more comfortable somehow with Gerry Ford. Whereupon my wife Eleanor said, so did I vote for him.

We went around that table -- this is hard to believe -- all five of my kids voted for him. So they get seven votes out of the McGovern family for President Ford and Senator Dole, my long-time Republican friend.

I voted for Carter again in 1980. So with my brand of political luck, I voted against Carter when he won, I voted for him when he lost. But I can justify both of those votes.
Gotta admit I laughed at "with my brand of political luck", though.

And yeah, I guess it's probably just South Dakota plus Racism, but I... well, I'm young, you know? I just want to believe that people in the past had their poo poo more together in some ways, at least. More fool me.

Lychnis
Jul 22, 2015

Flowers are beautiful, and smell nice.
There were quite a number of people at the time who suspected Carter of being a kind of Trojan Horse for the evangelicals. There were a few people in my (Jewish) family whose votes lined up with the McGoverns. They warmed up to him considerably once he was in office and voted for him in 1980...just in time for the religious right's actual Trojan Horse to be elected into office instead.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Xander77 posted:

Beeler, Bish and... Catalino, I guess, except we stopped posting him?

Well hey, let's fix that!

One thing I'm noticing with his recent cartoons is an odd mix of his usual simple cartoony style (the guy on the left) and these much more realistic caricatures of celebrities (Trump).

Affordable care, the most terrifying specter.

He basically seems to be taking on all comers lately.

Unfortunately, I think this will wind up playing out very differently.

This might've been posted already, I think?

Here's the cartoony style I was talking about. This seems similar to what I have from him back around 2010.

But then you have comics like this, where he seems to be trying much harder.

Like, compare with some old work:

Anyway, in more recent news:

Another unusually detailed caricature.

Lok'tar ogar, Charlie.

This is where the caricatures get weird. So many faces drawn in slightly different styles. In fact, that Al Franken looks familiar:

And his Matt Lauer is another copy-paste.

Seems like he's more comfortable with his Trump and Moore caricatures now.

Movie Reference™

Wrapping up with a few more in his normal style.

The best of the bunch. I dare you to untangle this metaphor.

FronzelNeekburm fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Dec 18, 2017

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Most of those Catalino cartoons look like badly-photoshopped facebook memes.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

FronzelNeekburm posted:

The rich are evil and should be tormented by the supernatural for their crimes.

AGC.

King Possum III
Feb 15, 2016

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

FronzelNeekburm posted:

The Obamadook omg

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

FronzelNeekburm posted:

My brain tells me that replacing Marley's message of charity and empathy with an ode to trickle-down economics is meant to be a parody of conservatism, but my heart tells me it isn't so.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
wait, so the already damned Marley, is coming to Scrooge and trying to convince him that the thing he liked, trickle down economics, is still a good thing, even though he clearly is bound by the chains he forged in life out of austerity and suffering of the poor.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Are there no prisons? No workhouses?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Crabtree posted:

wait, so the already damned Marley, is coming to Scrooge and trying to convince him that the thing he liked, trickle down economics, is still a good thing, even though he clearly is bound by the chains he forged in life out of austerity and suffering of the poor.
Tax Reform has perished, while the Dems still exist. Both are focused only on their own welfare (because they're Marley and Scrooge) but Tax Reform laments that he didn't actually do any of the stuff was supposed to have done.

kind of a good cartoon if you squint

gowb
Apr 14, 2005

EUGH

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Crabtree posted:

To Catalino "tax reform" isn't code for "trickle down", "tax reform" is code for "the plan the team currently with an 'R' after their name came up with". Part 2 is ignoring anything and everything about the story but what fits in a TV Guide blurb
7:00 2 5 16 Charles Dickens A Christmas Carol
Evil villain is taught the evil of his ways by his repentant partner's ghost
Frank Sinatra, Chuck Connors, Hugh Beaumont

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Xander77 posted:

Oh goddamit.

Edit - Goddamnit! Goddamnit! Dustin Hoffman? G-g-goddamnit! GODDAMNIT! Dustin Hoffman, GODDAMNIIIIT!

When it's Gary Busey's time. This is not going to be the response from anyone.

FronzelNeekburm posted:

Is that the ghost of Andrew Jackson?

Tell him to pick a Lion for the Democratic party animal.

Katt fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Dec 18, 2017

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

FronzelNeekburm posted:

Well hey, let's fix that!

One thing I'm noticing with his recent cartoons is an odd mix of his usual simple cartoony style (the guy on the left) and these much more realistic caricatures of celebrities (Trump).

That "odd mix" is almost certainly down to Catalino directly plagiarising other cartoonists. Unless I'm very much mistaken, that Trump head is by Delonas.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Or like

Put a bunch of chicken in the oven for a while once a week and buy a bag of salad

This fuckin' bullshit about how healthy food is soooooo expensive and time consuming is one of the things that kept me fat, you bastards, stop pushing that loving lie

Also Zelda you are not a single mom with two kids, ditch the soda

King Possum III
Feb 15, 2016

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Katt posted:

When it's Gary Busey's time. This is not going to be the response from anyone.

When would it have happened, before or after the bike accident?

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

Sandpuppy posted:

We've always been at war with Fantasia.

Yes bruv, I gonna catch me some Lion Guard an' ting.

JaggerMcDagger
Feb 13, 2012

Bringing you Barry from the sordid depths of the Internet
So with all this focus on Disney buying out Fox, you know who isn't getting enough attention?

Rall posted:

Hollywood Should Totally Make a Movie from my book “The Year of Loving Dangerously”
December 14, 2017
In 2009 I published “The Year of Loving Dangerously,” my graphic novel about my anni horribili, 1984-1985. I was expelled from college, fired from my job and evicted from my dorm — and dumped on the streets of Manhattan during a long hot summer in Reagan America. I discovered that sex wasn’t just my favorite thing, it was also good for finding a place to crash. Manslut – that was me.

Year was my first book collaboration. I wrote the text. Spanish artist Pablo G. Callejo, best known for “Bluesman,” did the artwork. The results were spectacular: Callejo is a genius and evoked 1980s New York like no one else could.

There was interest in turning Year into a movie. Also a TV show. You know how that goes. I think the time wasn’t right.

Now, however, everything is coming up 1980s. I keep thinking someone should make a movie or TV show out of it. Not because I want a movie or TV show, which of course I do, but because it was so loving cool and would make an awesome adaptation.’

So, smart Hollywood peeps, if you’re out there, here’s a few pages. If you want to see the whole thing, ping me by hitting the Contact tab on Rall.com.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

JaggerMcDagger posted:

So with all this focus on Disney buying out Fox, you know who isn't getting enough attention?

The pizza is the funniest part of this

(a) the artist clearly doesn't know what Sicilian-style pizza is; the dialogue even says "the big corner slice" and he just drew regular pizza anyway
and
(b) is Rall eating the paper plate??? What is happening with the sides of that pizza :psyduck:

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type
Surely known pathological liar Todd Rolls has not embellished or made up any part of this story

also lol he looks like a child in the last pizzeria panel

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

FronzelNeekburm posted:

#triggered

loving Babadook. I'm a grown rear end man but every time I go to the bathroom at night I immediately start hearing "ba-ba ba dooooook dooooook dooooook" in my head. gently caress.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

Jfc that Rall

Anyway, some good news!

https://twitter.com/firstdogonmoon/status/942701120643743744

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

That's why Tedd is forbidden from having better artists draw for him, his schoolyard level storytelling needs to be paired with kindergarden level art.

mediadave
Sep 8, 2011

yes Zelda, biodynamic quinoa, ecological halloumi, vegetables that are specifically locally grown, raw chickpeas, pickled red beet noodles, corriander that is specifically homegrown and sourdough ciabatta and walnut pesto, and chia seeds, is the only way to make a salad. A lovely, lovely straw salad.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Ted Rall is 54 years old.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Nothing says "amazing artist that captures 80s New York" than one who simply pastes in a photo of the city as a background. Although when you draw like Rall I guess any artist is a step up.

Speaking of his art.

Only decades of experience can give you such mastery of human anatomy.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

That's how I drew trees when I was in second grade

Cpt.Americant
Mar 30, 2010

Pants Donkey posted:

Only decades of experience can give you such mastery of human anatomy.

Yes, this is what humans look like. My god this is bad even by Rall standards.

And to say nothing of the fact that Democrats have been yelling in opposition.

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013
:ironicat:

quote:

La Prensa is an independent newspaper, founded on October 26, 1964 by Organización Publicitaria, S.A.

quote:

Jorge Canahuati Larach is the president of Organización Publicitaria... Canahuati has been a member of the Inter American Press Association Executive Committee.

quote:

In 1977 it was reported that IAPA was funded by the CIA.

Also https://www.sourcewatch.org/index.php/Inter_American_Press_Association

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

mediadave posted:

yes Zelda, biodynamic quinoa, ecological halloumi, vegetables that are specifically locally grown, raw chickpeas, pickled red beet noodles, corriander that is specifically homegrown and sourdough ciabatta and walnut pesto, and chia seeds, is the only way to make a salad. A lovely, lovely straw salad.

I'm pretty sure it's the only way to make a salad that people like Zelda know about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Austin S
Jul 2, 2005
Since the start of this year, you have improved tremendously in regards to avoiding the posting of cartoons that were previously posted by others.
However, your last two posts have included this cartoon three times.
Is there something you're trying to tell us? Incisive meta-commentary? A coded warning from the future, perhaps?

• Locked thread