Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!
Those of you who have dash cams, what are you opinions on an ideal field of view?

I'm currently considering either the Garmin 55 or 65. The former is 122°, the latter is 180°. At first I assumed more is better for fov, because you can see more stuff on either side of your windshield. But I'm seeing complaints that it makes close cars appear farther away, and it can make discerning details harder (eg license plates). Although not as important, the lower fov video just looks better.

I'm worried that the ideal is somewhere in between, maybe around 135°. Otherwise I really like the Garmins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

incogneato posted:

Those of you who have dash cams, what are you opinions on an ideal field of view?

I'm currently considering either the Garmin 55 or 65. The former is 122°, the latter is 180°. At first I assumed more is better for fov, because you can see more stuff on either side of your windshield. But I'm seeing complaints that it makes close cars appear farther away, and it can make discerning details harder (eg license plates). Although not as important, the lower fov video just looks better.

I'm worried that the ideal is somewhere in between, maybe around 135°. Otherwise I really like the Garmins.

I got the wide angle Mobius and I wish I hadn't. The complaints are valid, imo.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

FWIW, I think my last one (G1W) was either 120 or 140. It seemed just right; I was able to read license plates during the day pretty easily with it (a little better than I could with my eyes w/glasses). At night it was a crapshoot, but that was more because it's an older camera.

At 180, you're going to get some pretty severe lens distortion. You're going to get it on any cheap camera, but it'll be a lot more obvious on a 180. It'll be a bit of a fisheye effect.

e: walmart is selling a :20bux: dashcam.... the reviews on it are 100% negative. It's basically a 5 FPS camera with IR LEDs that blind itself. :laffo:

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Dec 13, 2017

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
180° is outright impossible with a rectilinear lens. It has to be a fisheye.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

Platystemon posted:

180° is outright impossible with a rectilinear lens. It has to be a fisheye.

It is: https://youtu.be/IhxAZFaRMR8

The 65w is the 180° one. The other two are 122°.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Given the state of storage tech, I don't know why we aren't seeing cameras with multiple lenses.

One to point forward, and two others on the sides to cover all the angles.

So many design paradigms are still based on technology which we have moved far beyond.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
I would also assume that for some installations, the 180 lenses would be ineffective due to glare around the edge. Thanks to the slope of the windshield.

Luxrage
Jan 2, 2017

I have no idea what I'm doing!

I picked up a Roav dashcam on amazon, so I moved the older Spytech A119 I had to the Geo I picked up recently. Didn't install it too nicely, I am gonna have the windshield replaced soon so I put a few cable holders up there and called it a day.

Made itself useful within a week: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jj2PTZJ612Y

Luckily the white van owner saw it coming in time and was able to avoid having her airbags go off. Here's the pictures of the damage, the van just had the bumper cover ripped off and some minor damage to the bumper itself. Luckily her radiator wasn't damaged or anything! I sent her the video!

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

How's the Roav? I'm very comfortable spending money with Anker; they have fantastic customer service.

I DON'T want onboard GPS, so their older "Roav by Anker Dash Cam C1" looks a bit more appealing. Price is right at my target too. Both the one you got and the lower end one I'm looking at seem to be loosely based on the A118S or A119S, maybe?

e: gently caress it, pulled the trigger. Amazon thinks they can get it here by 9pm (for free, even), it's 4am now. We'll see if Amazon Flex can find my place (I know from personal experience that the navigation they use in their delivery app is... "special"... I also know how special their drivers can be, since Amazon is one of my gigs)

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Dec 15, 2017

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

What the hell is going on with the bumper of the van? It's white then suddenly all black. Did it fly off or fold under the car? Makes no damned sense!

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Dave Inc. posted:

What the hell is going on with the bumper of the van? It's white then suddenly all black. Did it fly off or fold under the car? Makes no damned sense!

Luxrage posted:

Luckily the white van owner saw it coming in time and was able to avoid having her airbags go off. Here's the pictures of the damage, the van just had the bumper cover ripped off and some minor damage to the bumper itself. Luckily her radiator wasn't damaged or anything! I sent her the video!

<bird-with-questionmark-over-head.jpg>

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost
This brightened my commute up this morning.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FsBTl8LxOyQ

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Russia, where you don't get sued into oblivion for instant karma.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

How's the Roav? I'm very comfortable spending money with Anker; they have fantastic customer service.

I DON'T want onboard GPS, so their older "Roav by Anker Dash Cam C1" looks a bit more appealing. Price is right at my target too. Both the one you got and the lower end one I'm looking at seem to be loosely based on the A118S or A119S, maybe?

e: gently caress it, pulled the trigger. Amazon thinks they can get it here by 9pm (for free, even), it's 4am now. We'll see if Amazon Flex can find my place (I know from personal experience that the navigation they use in their delivery app is... "special"... I also know how special their drivers can be, since Amazon is one of my gigs)

Welp, it showed up.

Lens is a bit on the wide side for my tastes, but it's low profile, and comes with a quality power supply (instead of the lovely ones that fart all over your radio reception).

.... but it's picky about memory cards. it wants class 6 or faster. The G1W got bitchy if you went above class 4, according to dashcamtalk forums. So I had to drop the extra cash on a decent memory card. The C1 Pro includes one, the non-Pro doesn't. Overall I dig it, just wish it the lens wasn't so wide. Super low profile and detaches easily from the windshield mount.

Luxrage
Jan 2, 2017

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Welp, it showed up.

Lens is a bit on the wide side for my tastes, but it's low profile, and comes with a quality power supply (instead of the lovely ones that fart all over your radio reception).

.... but it's picky about memory cards. it wants class 6 or faster. The G1W got bitchy if you went above class 4, according to dashcamtalk forums. So I had to drop the extra cash on a decent memory card. The C1 Pro includes one, the non-Pro doesn't. Overall I dig it, just wish it the lens wasn't so wide. Super low profile and detaches easily from the windshield mount.

I'm trying to grab some decent footage from the one I have. I read on Amazon after I picked mine up that the one you bought has better video compression so the quality is slightly nicer. I'll see what I can throw together tonight and give you a preview of what mine looks like on 1080p 60fps. I haven't had any issues with the storage, but mine came with a card in the box.

Dave Inc. posted:

I know it's late to reply to this since others have already pretty much said it, but the bumper simply slid right off! I couldn't believe it. I pulled the footage back up from where I had cropped it and it all was sitting in one piece right next to the van. I remember when I pulled it to the side of the road it had a bungee cord mated to the inside of the bumper skin which sounds very Chrysler to me now that I think about it.

Edit: I looked around to try to find a picture of that cord and can't find it, so either that was someone's fix for that bumper or I'm going crazy

Luxrage fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Dec 18, 2017

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Luxrage posted:

I'm trying to grab some decent footage from the one I have. I read on Amazon after I picked mine up that the one you bought has better video compression so the quality is slightly nicer. I'll see what I can throw together tonight and give you a preview of what mine looks like on 1080p 60fps. I haven't had any issues with the storage, but mine came with a card in the box.

The included card essentially offsets the price difference, if you wind up having to buy a card at 11pm at Walmart, anyway. I still may return it for the C1 Pro, and just keep GPS turned off, though nm has mentioned in these here forums a few times that having a GPS-enabled cam is just a bad idea if you wind up needing to defend yourself.

So after a few days, my only gripe (beyond how wide the lens is) is parking mode is entirely too sensitive. Even on low sensitivity, it often fires up just from me opening the door. No 60 fps @ 1080 on this one (it'll do it @ 720). A brief look at footage showed downright great video quality compared to my G1W, and the UI is miles ahead of most dashcams in its price range.

I've got a decent amount of highway driving tomorrow, I'll see if I can throw a little sample together. I've avoided uploading any city footage, more because of all the squeaks/rattles/clunks/etc I get driving around town (the clutch pedal in particular sounds like a parrot is getting savagely raped by a screaming goose every time I step on it, but I also need sway bar end links... probably LCAs/bushings too at this point). (it's a 200k Saturn, what do you expect)

Mine came with 2 windshield mounts. Not sure if that's intentional or not, but I had placed mine just to the right of the mirror mount - which makes it easy to slide on/off the mount, but I can't actually see it (or hit the emergency save button) without sticking my head way up under there. I'm thinking about using the 2nd mount to move it to the other side of the mirror (making sure to leave enough room to remove it from the mount). The built-in wifi streaming is kinda neat too; it's a lot of camera for the money, with a company that's well known for having great customer service putting their name on it.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Dec 18, 2017

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

having a GPS-enabled cam is just a bad idea if you wind up needing to defend yourself.

Why would this be?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Queen_Combat fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Dec 26, 2017

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

IIRC an actual traffic lawyer, in this thread, explained the folly of dashcam GPS and how people grt screwed with it on.
That was nm, as Yugiho alluded to. And yeah, that’s about how I remember it.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Okay thanks. Not that the cheap poo poo garbage dashcams in my budget have GPS though...

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

I want to believe, but man it looks so fake.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

Have GPS, "why'd you speed earlier? Your fault, you wouldn't have been there. Why were you slower than traffic? Your fault, you wouldn't have been there."

Have GPS but disabled, "why'd you disable your GPS?"

In no way does it help, and in every potential way does it hurt. Nobody needs GPS to determine where you were during the accident. IIRC an actual traffic lawyer, in this thread, explained the folly of dashcam GPS and how people grt screwed with it on.

The KD-Links unit I used to use had a clever way to get around disabling GPS without opening a legal can of worms. The camera ships with two mounts, one with GPS receiver that you physically connect from the camera, and another without the GPS guts. Strikes a good balance if you really want GPS for track days or something, then use a different mount (and different SD card, if you're going that far to cover your rear end) for the road.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Track days are better served with a 10hz GPS receiver that updates position faster (for lap timing with an app like RaceChrono)

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
There is literally zero reason to have GPS on a dash cam.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

There is literally zero reason to have GPS on a dash cam.

There's no reason on earth to have WiFi-enabled light bulbs, either - but here we are.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

So here's a short clip from the Revo C1. warning terrible music

Shows how well it handles a foggy night... also, it picked out probably one of the last mercury vapor street lights within several miles of my place a lot easier than the naked eye can (you'll know it when you see it - I notice it, but the camera really makes it obvious).

Video gets a bit grainy when it's dark, but it captures the road pretty drat well despite piss poor lighting conditions (I did have both my low beams and fog lights on, which helped, but it was able to see through the fog a lot better than I could.. probably because it's so much higher up than my eyes and headlights).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFt0X4cbFf0

edit: here's a daytime version from today. not great for license plates unless you're right on someone's bumper, but it sure as hell picks up my "parrot getting raped" clutch pedal squeak. I really need to do something about that. It almost looks like it's over-sharpening the video; license plates were a lot easier to see on the G1W, but the image wasn't as crisp.

edit2: wtf youtube, it's only available in 360p right now. I uploaded a 1080p clip. hopefully it'll fix itself soon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bo8fgjZqNA

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Dec 19, 2017

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
Driver runs down a pedestrian in France, motorcyclist and another driver chase him down, flag down cops, and driver gets arrested.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=muAPJiMho2Y&t=65s

Edit: it's actually the second time he's chased a hit and run driver. Here's the first.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXVOciEeBF8

`Nemesis fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Dec 19, 2017

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Shows how well it handles a foggy night... also, it picked out probably one of the last mercury vapor street lights within several miles of my place a lot easier than the naked eye can (you'll know it when you see it - I notice it, but the camera really makes it obvious).

Video gets a bit grainy when it's dark, but it captures the road pretty drat well despite piss poor lighting conditions (I did have both my low beams and fog lights on, which helped, but it was able to see through the fog a lot better than I could.. probably because it's so much higher up than my eyes and headlights).

edit: here's a daytime version from today. not great for license plates unless you're right on someone's bumper, but it sure as hell picks up my "parrot getting raped" clutch pedal squeak. I really need to do something about that. It almost looks like it's over-sharpening the video; license plates were a lot easier to see on the G1W, but the image wasn't as crisp.

edit2: wtf youtube, it's only available in 360p right now. I uploaded a 1080p clip. hopefully it'll fix itself soon.

I'll get a file from my g1w to compare soon. Yes, I still have one! It was my first and only one but I got the capacitor version and researched a lot beforehand about what sellers sold good versions (they weren't all made equally).
I cheated a bit though because it has not been used for the past 2 years (the ute has been off the road since 2015). Then when I got the bmw I never put it straight in as it was a PITA to power it. No regular internal fuse box in the e34 and the cig power socket is actually inside the ashtray. But I hooked it up last week and it still works despite the original 1-2 years hard use in the ute and another year where I just left it mounted in the ute getting full sun.
E:
Hopefully you can load a high res version soon, as I know my g1w won't last forever, but at the current res upload it sucks in comparison to a good g1w even at low res.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 12:11 on Dec 19, 2017

Luxrage
Jan 2, 2017

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFt0X4cbFf0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bo8fgjZqNA

Here's the 1080p 60fps footage from the C1Pro, I included a clip of day and night driving for comparison. I stitched the two clips together into one. I was holding out on posting as I wanted to get some of the highest resolution 2560X1440px 30fps recording, but I haven't driven the car since then:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AjLCy2Au0tg

One of the biggest criticisms I heard from Amazon reviews was that the compression the camera uses gives edges a slight highlight to them, making super fine details hard to read. The plates seemed fine, but you can see it on the shadows of the cars:

My dashboard is pretty much horizontal so sun glare is a big problem going into the sun, as you can see. I need to maybe move the camera over a little bit, but I wanted to try to center it as much as possible. There's also a set of upward facing speakers on that dash so that blasts into the camera pretty much 100%, which you can hear in the 2nd half. The mic is good, though, you can really hear my coworker and I clearly.

The one feature I did buy it for was the built-in WiFi. Reason being I can pull the clips off of the camera without having to take it off the mount and take it inside or move everything to get to the SD card. I had enough trouble with that A119's mount and connection problems where I don't want to deal with more jiggly mounting hardware.
The app gets the job done, it lets you overlay the GPS and G-Force data, the latter I forgot to turn on, and it shows you a map, so that's neat. The download speeds off of the camera are pretty painful, even for the three minute long clips. It has a transfer speed of about 1.8Mbps.

Once I get some 2K footage from the Roav I'll see about license plate comparison. The A119 was great for that.

At 1080p that still isn't too terrible.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
Yeah, it's really hard to compare especially when everything is resized or compressed.
Here's the old g1w and even with a bit of resizing, the black on blue plate, the windscreen reflection of the dash vent, plates are clear (even the street sign on the top right). Very clear in the 2mb screen shot but I compressed the image and resized it to 75%.

2mb:
http://i.imgur.com/fTo3x2s.jpg

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Dec 20, 2017

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Luxrage posted:

Here's the 1080p 60fps footage from the C1Pro, I included a clip of day and night driving for comparison. I stitched the two clips together into one. I was holding out on posting as I wanted to get some of the highest resolution 2560X1440px 30fps recording, but I haven't driven the car since then:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AjLCy2Au0tg

Hey wait I recognize that intersection.... :stare:

That 60 fps is definitely a lot nicer than the 30 fps I get. But holy mother of gently caress, you could land Dreamliners on that hood. What is it?

Agreed on the transfer speeds, also agreed on it being easier than trying to pull it off the mount. The C1 really, really likes its mount, but I've brought it in a couple of times when I want to move video clips to my PC (bringing the whole thing in, then leaving it on the table by the door once I'm done copying poo poo, means I'll notice it on my way out the door in the morning... vs leaving the micro SD card there).

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Dec 20, 2017

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

Fo3 posted:

Yeah, it's really hard to compare especially when everything is resized or compressed.
Here's the old g1w and even with a bit of resizing, the black on blue plate, the windscreen reflection of the dash vent, plates are clear (even the street sign on the top right). Very clear in the 2mb screen shot but I compressed the image and resized it to 75%.

Toss the g1w in the trash... Mine hit the windshield so hard in an crash that it broke and didn't save the video clip. With the footage, this case might not be going on 6 months of dragging on....

I have a mini0906 and it seems to be a really robust camera. Saved my rear end the other day when someone ran into the side of my car. They claimed I changed lanes into them. Just a fender bender, so I should post that up in a couple week probably.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
Sorry about your situation. Yeah, the g1w is due for an upgrade which is why I'm looking through this thread anyway. But this time of year not happening for obvious reasons; plus $700 rego due in Jan, fixing the ute etc so camera is low on the list, somewhere around engine upgrade in the e34, but below brake upgrade. But I am here checking the thread for a replacement for whenever that happens

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Dec 20, 2017

Luxrage
Jan 2, 2017

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Hey wait I recognize that intersection.... :stare:

That 60 fps is definitely a lot nicer than the 30 fps I get. But holy mother of gently caress, you could land Dreamliners on that hood. What is it?

I've got it in my '89 LTD Country Squire, the A119 was originally in there, but the mount was having tons of connection issues so I moved it to the Geo with a new mount when I bought this C1Pro

I have some photos of the initial install from the Panther thread; I was able to hide the entire wiring setup behind trim panels on the A pillar and loop them up under the dash cover into the dashboard, so it worked out! The Geo, on the other hand, is all straight up metal with no interior trim. I'm either going to have to run the wires through the frame when I get the new windshield, or I'm going to have to keep it as-is on the glass. There's no easy entry for it, so I'm still debating that one.

Tomorrow's my first day off in a while, if it's sunny out I'll get some 2K 30fps shots of the Roav and see how the quality compares to the A119's 2K 30fps mode.

Also, I got a call from the insurance agent representing the car that ran the light asking about the video. When police showed up to the t-bone accident I was showing the cop the dashcam setup, so I think he wrote that down when he listed me as a witness.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

`Nemesis posted:

Driver runs down a pedestrian in France, motorcyclist and another driver chase him down, flag down cops, and driver gets arrested.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=muAPJiMho2Y&t=65s

Edit: it's actually the second time he's chased a hit and run driver. Here's the first.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXVOciEeBF8

I'd seen the older video, but chasing down a scumbag while dressed as Santa? AWESOME! :woop:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Luxrage posted:

I've got it in my '89 LTD Country Squire, the A119 was originally in there, but the mount was having tons of connection issues so I moved it to the Geo with a new mount when I bought this C1Pro

I have some photos of the initial install from the Panther thread; I was able to hide the entire wiring setup behind trim panels on the A pillar and loop them up under the dash cover into the dashboard, so it worked out! The Geo, on the other hand, is all straight up metal with no interior trim. I'm either going to have to run the wires through the frame when I get the new windshield, or I'm going to have to keep it as-is on the glass. There's no easy entry for it, so I'm still debating that one.

Oh, DERP. I remember your photos from a car show in Denton now. Made me (second) home sick, I miss living up there. When my lease is up where I'm at now (Rowlett/Garland border) I may try and move back up that way.

Maybe get some zip tie brackets for the wire? Not much you can do to hide the wire, but at least you can secure the wire with those... and replace it easily if it gets damaged (just cut the zip tie itself, thread a new one in).

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Luxrage
Jan 2, 2017

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Maybe get some zip tie brackets for the wire? Not much you can do to hide the wire, but at least you can secure the wire with those... and replace it easily if it gets damaged (just cut the zip tie itself, thread a new one in).

I spend a lot of time in Denton, I love that town! Part of the motivation on getting that cam was that the trip down 377 usually throws some crazy stuff my way! As far as how I've got the cables in the Geo, I found some clips that the cable fits into that don't actually hold tight, they just keep it going in a direction, so I stuck those up there. And then some little clips on the corner and right by the camera to hold it in place! Please ignore my "Optimal Shift Speeds" labels! I need to get a thread going of my side projects on this truck this weekend.

I was able to get some 1440P footage with the G1Pro, the compression is a little worse than the A119 if you ask me on the G1. I think I'll most likely stick to the 1080p 60fps mode.
Warning: I lowered the volume on the music, but it still might be loud!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16OD6oAbtkU
This also shows what two clips put back to back look like, you can see it does a slight overlap. Also that S-10 had $2000 on the for sale sign.

I tried a dashcam viewing software I found online with clips from both cameras, the A119s data all seems to read, but not the G1Pro.

Here's a plate shot from the G1Pro

Luxrage fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Dec 22, 2017

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Luxrage posted:

I spend a lot of time in Denton, I love that town!

Lived there a couple of years myself, also went to UNT for a little bit. It's a fun town if you love music.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Here is the 40 car pile up,

Muskegon Car Pile-up on Michigan Highway US-31 Dec. 29, 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ct5xc4uvsb0