Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

EssOEss posted:

Why does that show the same type of switch twice, once labeling it hot and once labeling it ground/neutral? This picture makes no sense.

Two switches... two switch box... referencing a post with a picture of a two switch box.

Who FUCKIN KNOWS. I'm stumped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Messadiah
Jan 12, 2001

EssOEss posted:

Why does that show the same type of switch twice, once labeling it hot and once labeling it ground/neutral? This picture makes no sense.

Exactly. It's an attempt at explaining how you could have 120v showing between 2 mounting screws in the previous photo.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

EssOEss posted:

That picture is showing how you can gently caress up wiring a switch and wind up with 120V between the two faceplate screws, as shown in the earlier picture of a multimeter showing 120V between two faceplate screws.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope

There was a picture months back of a three-phase plug that had a phase wire connected to the ground pin. So basically once that was plugged in the chassis would become electrified with m either 120 or 277 volts.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

Black Calderon?

Lacermonia
May 15, 2002

DiHK posted:

Black Calderon?

Ferngully

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Three-Phase posted:

There was a picture months back of a three-phase plug that had a phase wire connected to the ground pin. So basically once that was plugged in the chassis would become electrified with m either 120 or 277 volts.
People like to call a chassis ground to hot a safety risk. I call it a convenient busbar.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

Ah. I can't wait to terrify my son in the not too distant future.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

I once moved an office chair from my college dorm to my summer apartment using basically the same strategy. It was only a few blocks rather than on the highway though.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

wolrah posted:

I once moved an office chair from my college dorm to my summer apartment using basically the same strategy. It was only a few blocks rather than on the highway though.

Sometimes I have dreams where I just roll around the city on an office chair. It's not a nightmare or anything. Welp thanks for listening to my mundane chair dream story god bless America.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Three-Phase posted:

That was me, a contractor swapped the plug on a hoist crane I had been rebuilding and when I came back from lunch the studs in the floor were glowing. 277/480 3 phase.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

e: nvm

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Reminds of the guy who equipped his ultra-light home-built aircraft with a tailwheel snagged off of a shopping cart.

Taxi test did not end well.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

shame on an IGA posted:

That was me, a contractor swapped the plug on a hoist crane I had been rebuilding and when I came back from lunch the studs in the floor were glowing. 277/480 3 phase.

Geez.

Several years ago I was at a facility where there were problems with part of a medium-voltage distribution system. It turns out that a splice that should have had a proper mastic rubber packing and multiple layers of electrical tape just had two turns of electrical tape (I think that’s 600V a turn or less and this was 5kV class).

The voltage basically just punched a hole through it and grounded the system. It was ungrounded delta and fortunately the problem was located and fixed.

Again since it was a completely ungrounded delta there was no trip but the system did warn there was a ground fault somewhere on the bus.

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Dec 18, 2017

Farmdizzle
May 26, 2009

Hagel satan
Grimey Drawer

Tucson.jpg

That suitcase is probably full of meth.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Goober Peas posted:

In the mid-90s, I ran network cable through the rafters of a warehouse this way. The world was a different place.

I used do do the same in the early 2000's. My preference was to not use a pallet. Just keep your boots on the forks. That way, there's no danger in getting cocky about your balance. I did that once and the pallet shifted. Never again.

Yes, there's a bit of piss running down your leg when you're looking straight up, both hands in the air, but you run out of piss pretty quickly and it's smooth sailing from there.

Ah to be young and stupid, stupid, stupid again.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

https://i.imgur.com/bSqqPne.mp4

I'm loving mad that this worked.

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

I wanna know what the hell those boards are made out of

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Applesnots posted:

I wanna know what the hell those boards are made out of

Probably 3/4" steel plate.

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

Proteus Jones posted:

Probably 3/4" steel plate.

Maybe, but I see no way to move or position them, those things must weigh an easy 1500 lbs each.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Applesnots posted:

Maybe, but I see no way to move them, those things must weigh an easy 1500 lbs each

Yeah, it does raise some logistic questions. I just can't think of any wood that can have that profile, span that distance, and deflect that much without splintering apart.

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

Proteus Jones posted:

Yeah, it does raise some logistic questions. I just can't think of any wood that can have that profile, span that distance, and deflect that much without splintering apart.

:same:

Messadiah
Jan 12, 2001

I'm curious how they got the truck perpindicular to the dock in the first place

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

drat, Good call.^^^

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Messadiah posted:

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

squeak... squeak... SQUEAK!
Lipstick Apathy

DiHK posted:

Ah. I can't wait to terrify my son in the not too distant future.

That's a good movie for that. He gets even scarier as the movie goes on.

You could always show your kid the Good Son with Macaulay Culkin and Elijah Wood when they're 6-8 years old too.

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.
The lumber supporting that pickup is made of the same type of joists that can support a bathtub despite being sawn through.

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

Budgie posted:

The lumber supporting that pickup is made of the same type of joists that can support a bathtub despite being sawn through.

(please ignore the obvious flooding below them.)

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Messadiah posted:

If you can line up the front wheels, it's pretty easy for several people to lift up the back end to line it up. Weights all in the front so relatively easy to pick up the back as a lever.

Truck is a little heavier, maybe really heavy if it's 4x4. But used to prank people in highschool by pointing people's sedan's rear end at stupid directions and it only took like 2 or 3 teenagers to lift up the back end far enough to swing it.

Bacon Taco
Jun 8, 2006

Now with extra narwhal meat!
HAIKOOLIGAN
Dinosaur Gum

The Lone Badger posted:

That's just the new boss showing up for work.

Be careful, that thing killed Tasha Yar!

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

quote:

Amtrak train 501 derailed and is dangling onto Interstate 5 in Washington state.

:stare:

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Budgie posted:

Now there's a reference that I didn't expect to see.

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Tryin' to catch me ridin' dirty
Fun Shoe

quote:

Multiple fatalities, scores injured after Amtrak train plunges off bridge onto I-5

(KOMO) — PIERCE COUNTY, Wash. - A southbound Amtrak train plunged off a bridge onto Interstate 5 south of Tacoma Monday morning, killing an unknown number of people and injuring scores of others.

"We have fatalities and casualties," said Detective Ed Troyer of the Pierce County Sheriff's Department. "This is a regional mass casualty response."

He could not provide a number of dead and injured, but said all the dead on the train, which derailed at 7:40 a.m. Several cars and trucks were hit by train cars, Troyer said.

A total of 77 patients were taken to hospitals in Pierce and Thurston counties, said Cary Evans, communications and government affairs director of CHI Franciscan Health.

Four have the most severe injuries.

Among the hospitals patients are being taken to are St. Joseph's, St. Claire's, St. Anthony's and Tacoma General.

Information as of 9:26am PT from CHI Franciscan Health

All southbound lanes of Interstate 5 are closed south of Joint Base Lewis-McChord.

Motorists are being warned to avoid the area.

Troyer said southbound I-5 is "closed everywhere" and that stuck cars will be moved off the freeway. Southbound lanes of the freeway are expected to be closed for several hours at the scene.

"I was just shocked," said Peter Zimmerman of Olympia. "I couldn't believe it. It was like something out of a movie."

Motorists said they drove up to find a train car hanging off the bridge, and dozens of Amtrak passengers stranding along the freeway. Motorists on both sides of the freeway began to help them.

State transportation officials say the train derailed near Mounts Road, about 40 miles south of Seattle.

:stare:

wheres my beer fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Dec 18, 2017

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

This is the 1st day they started using the high speed line as well.

quote:

At a Dec. 4 meeting, city leaders voiced concerns over 79-mph rail service through the city and near the major interstate, especially for people near the tracks, KOMO News reported.

"We want to make sure as many people as possible understand what's going on, understand we are starting a new service on December 18th and ensure that they know how to stay safe around the railroad tracks," Janet Matkin with WSDOT told KOMO.

http://www.seattlepi.com/seattlenews/article/Mayor-Predict-Amtrak-Crashes-12438820.php

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Tryin' to catch me ridin' dirty
Fun Shoe
It sounds like it's the last day of the new high speed line too.

I live in the region and know they have put a ton of effort into working on the tracks just north of the derailment

Edit: Incidentally, there was another Amtrak derailment due to high train speeds just a bit north of this derailment.

http://q13fox.com/2017/07/06/train-derailment-near-steilacoom-due-to-high-speed-human-error-amtrak-says/
Google Maps link plotting the directions between both crashes

wheres my beer fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Dec 18, 2017

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Where is the engine? On the freeway or further down the track?

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

EPIC fat guy vids posted:

That's a good movie for that. He gets even scarier as the movie goes on.

You could always show your kid the Good Son with Macaulay Culkin and Elijah Wood when they're 6-8 years old too.

I'm making a list. PM me with additions

Fern Gulley, Rats of Nim, Black Calderon Legend, Rocky Horror, Pinball Wizard, HC Andersons's Little Mermaid, all of Hayao Miyazaki films...

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

zedprime posted:

If you can line up the front wheels, it's pretty easy for several people to lift up the back end to line it up. Weights all in the front so relatively easy to pick up the back as a lever.

Truck is a little heavier, maybe really heavy if it's 4x4. But used to prank people in highschool by pointing people's sedan's rear end at stupid directions and it only took like 2 or 3 teenagers to lift up the back end far enough to swing it.

Or just reverse onto the dock and turn onto the ramps forward???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

DiHK posted:

I'm making a list. PM me with additions

Fern Gulley, Rats of Nim, Black Calderon Legend, Rocky Horror, Pinball Wizard, HC Andersons's Little Mermaid, all of Hayao Miyazaki films...

Watership Down