Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

CelticPredator posted:

I disagree. Film is basically a magic trick where you wow the audience by basically tricking them into feeling something.

Even if you believe this, magic tricks aren't "magic".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Even if you believe this, magic tricks aren't "magic".

Exactly. They are a skill which takes years of practice to develop.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Neo Rasa posted:

I'm surprised how many fans of the Alien movies in particular share this sentiment when each of the four Alien film has had a completely different director's sensibilities behind it. Plus even if Ridley Scott wanted to make something almost identical to Alien and somehow literally every single person who worked on Alien was available/alive to also work on Prometheus, it still would be absolutely nothing like Alien beyond "folks on a ship run into some weird poo poo" and that's hardly a failure on the part of anyone involved.

It's because fans are not actually talking about the films. As Covok expresses it, they are talking about "the magic." "The magic" has nothing to do with Alien, the writing, the cinematography, the score. It refers to the unique popular phenomenon of the film within a specific historical context.

Prometheus and Covenant are seen as failures because, 38 years later, they have not had a proportional effect.

CelticPredator posted:

I disagree. Film is basically a magic trick where you wow the audience by basically tricking them into feeling something.

That's not how Covok is using "magic." They are not talking about cinematic illusions, they are talking about the abstract feeling that something is significant because it is popular.

There is, of course, illusion and trickery in film. Many of the oldest films are more or less magic shows taken off the streets and out of the theater, and transposed onto a new medium. But in neither the magic show or the cinema is the goal to 'trick the spectator into feeling something.' The goal of the trick is to trick, to manipulate the cognition of the spectator into perceiving something that is not objectively true. The emotional reaction is the spontaneous, genuine reaction to this cognition, the spectator's honest emotions to perceiving something they consciously know can't be real.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Snak posted:

Exactly. They are a skill which takes years of practice to develop.

There's a lot of things that aren't descriptive enough but craft comes closest for me.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Prometheus is going to be recognized for having its own magic in another decade. "The movie that everyone thought was stupid because it wasn't what they wanted".

I don't even like Prometheus, but my beef is certainly not with the concept, which is awesome.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Snak posted:

Prometheus is going to be recognized for having its own magic in another decade.

On Rifttrax.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

K. Waste posted:

Good filmmaking is not magic.

The goal is not to recapture the unique cultural and social context of a movie that came out 38 years ago. The goal is to make a good film on its own terms. Prometheus and Covenant are both very good.

Not really. Movies are subjective, but Prometheus was way too up its own rear end and Covenant just felt like a really high budget slasher flick with very little effort put into it. It felt like a movie being pushed into two different directions: the artsy-fartsy direction of Prometheus and the safe, corporate-backed, clearly what fox wanted slasher film.

This made both of them feel really unsatisfied to me.

MajorB
Jul 3, 2007
Another stupid '07er
Prometheus has a very nice rear end.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

MajorB posted:

Prometheus has a very nice rear end.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Covok posted:

Not really. Movies are subjective, but Prometheus was way too up its own rear end and Covenant just felt like a really high budget slasher flick with very little effort put into it. It felt like a movie being pushed into two different directions: the artsy-fartsy direction of Prometheus and the safe, corporate-backed, clearly what fox wanted slasher film.

This made both of them feel really unsatisfied to me.

Subjectivity is not magic, and there are plenty of ways to deal with film objectively, which begins with describing the form of the text, as opposed to constant digression to abstract feelings about how much "effort" was put into it, or speculating about the intent or pretensions of the filmmakers.

Films are incredibly difficult to make and require a tremendous amount of effort. This is not subjective.

Your basic "subjective" language is not describing the film. It is describing your feelings. To what extent you do refer to the film, you criticize it for being like "a really high budget slasher flick," and that it's "artsy-fartsy," and that it's produced by a major studio. This does not clarify anything about what you object to in either the narrative or aesthetics. If Covenant is like a slasher, or artsy, what is wrong with this?

How is Prometheus up its own rear end? What does that even mean?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Also, slashers are good. So a spooky wizard castle slasher with plenty of effort put into it turned out to be a good movie.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
Very little effort:

Also, here's some nice parallel imagery for ya:

*whispering*They're turning against you, captain. They lack faith.*whispering*

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

CelticPredator posted:

And I disagree with that to a degree. Feeling is just one aspect but not necessarily the goal.

Film is a window into man's mind where a person can convey their vision to people and the world. This can be done with instrument like pencil or pen and paper, paint and canvas, etc. but film allows motion and performance. It's a communication tool and can be used for art and expression and that requires skill, knowledge, and training to excel in it.

We have the technology to now put our imaginations onto the canvas in movement. From Star Trek showing us technology like computerized pads and Starships to Superman fighting Zod to exploring the universe with national geographic and telling a story that follows animals in their lives in habitats we can't easily visit to interviews with mass murdering despots and news, it's a whole experience.

EDIT: That an artist can construct a narrative that resonates emotionally with you, that's magic. But he's using his skill to craft something that conveys that and it's dependent on your state on if and how you connect with it.

Gatts fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Dec 18, 2017

IMB
Jan 8, 2005
How does an asshole like Bob get such a great kitchen?

K. Waste posted:

Also, here's some nice parallel imagery for ya:

*whispering*They're turning against you, captain. They lack faith.*whispering*

This is fantastic.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Neo Rasa posted:

Plus even if Ridley Scott wanted to make something almost identical to Alien and somehow literally every single person who worked on Alien was available/alive to also work on Prometheus, it still would be absolutely nothing like Alien beyond "folks on a ship run into some weird poo poo" and that's hardly a failure on the part of anyone involved.
I'm not sure I agree that there's no way to recreate the tone and style of a given visual work. Sure the surrounding sociopolitical context that the audience is in might be different, but recreating the original doesn't seem like some impossible goal. I mean, poo poo, 'Alien Isolation' did it, and it's made by a group of people who had nothing to do with 'Alien' other than "they liked it", working in a totally different medium. It's even got literal gameplay recreations of specific scenes from 'Alien'.

I'd think if Ridley Scott and co had wanted to recreate 'Alien' that they totally could have done it.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

IMB posted:

This is fantastic.

Covenant isn't nearly as good as Prometheus for my money, but it's a drat fine piece of work.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

K. Waste posted:

Covenant isn't nearly as good as Prometheus for my money, but it's a drat fine piece of work.

I kind of want to see the timeline where the stories of Prometheus and Covenant were still meant to all happen in one film.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

This cracked me up so loving much. Do you think Disney would put medieval homunculi in their Alien movies? I seriously doubt that.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Dec 18, 2017

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I thought it was beautiful.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
It's both a beautiful moment and a brilliant encapsulation of how the film works as a black comedy.

This is why it's so wrong-headed to claim that the film depreciates the mystique of the xenomorph. Why cling to pretenses of mystique when you can go in the radical opposite direction, and make the xenomorph a cute wittle baby?

And, as with Weyland being analogous to Walt Disney in Prometheus, it's another Jurassic Park-connection:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFEVRYJ_QH0

MajorB
Jul 3, 2007
Another stupid '07er

K. Waste posted:

This is why it's so wrong-headed to claim that the film depreciates the mystique of the xenomorph. Why cling to pretenses of mystique when you can go in the radical opposite direction, and make the xenomorph a cute wittle baby?

This dovetails nicely with Ridley's insistence that the alien isn't scary anymore. When you're not worrying about the creature being frightening, it turns out you can do a whole lot of interesting things with it.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

MajorB posted:

This dovetails nicely with Ridley's insistence that the alien isn't scary anymore. When you're not worrying about the creature being frightening, it turns out you can do a whole lot of interesting things with it.

Which is to say that Ridley is actually the biggest alien fan of all, in that he still considers it fundamentally a product of the imagination of H. R. Giger. Giger was never inventing abhorrent, unfathomable outsiders who are only good for being destroyed. His portrayal of the xenomorph was an act of love, a depiction of humanity that is both horrifically liberated in its sexuality while remaining infantile and presexual, in a perpetual state of death and rebirth, its being indistinguishable from the systems of industrial capitalism that both spawn and oppress it.

There were two major Lovecraftian influences on Alien - the first was Dan O'Bannon, and the second was H. R. Giger (who named one of his art books after a fictional book from Lovecraft's mythos). Whereas O'Bannon exploited the apparent 'fear of the unknown' in Lovecraft's literature, Giger's art lent to the visual narrative of the film something with much more potent clarity, which is not fear of the unknown, but fear of that which is known about the vulgar nature and inevitable fate of humanity, but which is too horrifying to confront.

K. Waste fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Dec 18, 2017

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Giger liked them perky!

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

K. Waste posted:

Which is to say that Ridley is actually the biggest alien fan of all, in that he still considers it fundamentally a product of the imagination of H. R. Giger. Giger was never inventing abhorrent, unfathomable outsiders who are only good for being destroyed. His portrayal of the xenomorph was an act of love, a depiction of humanity that is both horrifically liberated in its sexuality while remaining infantile and presexual, in a perpetual state of death and rebirth, its being indistinguishable from the systems of industrial capitalism that both spawn and oppress it.

There were two major Lovecraftian influences on Alien - the first was Dan O'Bannon, and the second was H. R. Giger (who named one of his art books after a fictional book from Lovecraft's mythos). Whereas O'Bannon exploited the apparent 'fear of the unknown' in Lovecraft's literature, Giger's art lent to the visual narrative of the film something with much more potent clarity, which is not fear of the unknown, but fear of that which is known about the vulgar nature and inevitable fate of humanity, but which is too horrifying to confront.

It disturbs me when something vaguely erotic is registered by my brain and I'm briefly titillated before my brain remembers how hosed up the entire image is. It makes me feel wrong.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Tenzarin posted:

Giger liked them perky!

Covok posted:

It disturbs me when something vaguely erotic is registered by my brain and I'm briefly titillated before my brain remembers how hosed up the entire image is. It makes me feel wrong.

Do not feel wrong about your erotophilia, comrade. Fear only the invisible order of fascism disguised as pride, tradition, and destiny.

quote:

Imbecile! How could you believe I'd kill you? Don't you know we'd want to kill you a thousand times, to the limits of eternity, if eternity has any.
- The Bishop, Pier Paolo Pasolini's Salò, or the 120 Days of Sodom (1975)

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
K. Waste do you do movie stuff for a living, cause I can't get enough of your posts.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Barbie is that you?

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

SHISHKABOB posted:

K. Waste do you do movie stuff for a living, cause I can't get enough of your posts.

I wish. I do spend an inordinate amount of time making video essays, of which I'm making two this month.

Semi-related: How to Read Alien Without Really Trying - Chapter V: "Baby Wants to gently caress"

quote:

From what perspective should we observe this scene?

Imagine the scene as that of a small child hidden in a closet or behind a door witnessing the parental intercourse. [She] doesn’t yet know what sexuality is, how we do it, [all she knows is what she hears]: the strange deep breathing sound and then [she] tries to imagine what goes on…

It is as if [Ripley] phantasizes this wild parental couple of [Dallas and the Xenomorph] as kind of a phantasmatic supplement to the lack of the real [maternal] authority. [The Xenomorph] not only acts, but even over-acts. It’s as if [its] ridiculously excessive, gesticulating, shouting, and so on… are here to cover-up something.

The point is, of course, the elementary one: to convince the invisible observer that [Mother is fertile, to cover up Mother’s infertility]. So the second way to read the scene would have been as a spectacle, ridiculously violent spectacle, set up by [the Mother] to convince [Ripley of her power, of her over-fertility].

The third way would have been to focus on [Dallas himself]… What if the central, as it were, problem of this entire scene is [Dallas’s] passivity? So what if what [the Xenomorph] is doing is kind of a desperate, ridiculous, but nonetheless effective attempt of trying to help [Dallas], [to awaken him out of his lethargy, to bring him into life]? So, maybe, if [the Xenomorph] is anyone’s phantasy, [it] is [Dallas’s] phantasy. There is kind of a strange, mutual interlocking of phantasies.
- paraphrased, Slavoj Žižek, The Pervert's Guide to Cinema (2006/09)

K. Waste fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Dec 18, 2017

viral spiral
Sep 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

MajorB posted:

Is it possible that Fox and Ridley can get Alien Awakening into production quickly enough that Disney can't kill it? I know Ridley is about to film another movie, but he was able to jump right from The Martian into Covenant.

I certainly hope Ridley postpones The Cartel in favor of the Covenant sequel for this very reason.

It's a shame the Academy will most likely overlook best visual effects and cinematography nominations for this film.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

viral spiral posted:

I certainly hope Ridley postpones The Cartel in favor of the Covenant sequel for this very reason.

It's a shame the Academy will most likely overlook best visual effects and cinematography nominations for this film.

I'd say it deserves a nomination just for the recognition, sure, but Blade Runner 2049 absolutely deserves the win for both of those categories.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Covok posted:

At least they might take it away from Ridley Scott, a man who is just not able to recapture the magic of the original films and his psychological and philosophical drivel is not being well received and mostly made me and my friends laugh.

Oh no, a movie made you and your friends enjoy yourselves in allegedly unexpected ways! Save us Disney, save us from Ridley Scott!!

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
edit: whoops

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Ridley Scott is a fantastic film maker and one of my absolute favorites. His best work however is Kingdom of Heaven, his cut.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
The director's cut of Kingdom of Heaven is really, really good.

MajorB
Jul 3, 2007
Another stupid '07er
Last night I watched Alien Covenant in black and white.

It, uh, owned.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Huh. Black and White suits it.

MajorB
Jul 3, 2007
Another stupid '07er

CelticPredator posted:

Huh. Black and White suits it.

Yeah, seriously. I wish Ridley had thought of it now.

The chestburster scene is transcendent... and even more reminiscent of an ejaculation.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
gently caress yeah.

edit:

I would really like it to start being a thing for people to watch contemporary movies shot for color in black-and-white.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Dracula, Dead and Loving It in black & white.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

ruddiger posted:

Dracula, Dead and Loving It in black & white.

... It will be done.

I HAVEN'T EVEN SEEN IT IN COLOR!!!