Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
What got my attention was this:

Because there the retention clips for DIMM1 and DIMM2 are clearly open. I can't tell if you've pushed them closed in the second image.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Impromptu Flip
Aug 30, 2008

VulgarandStupid posted:

I guess backplates weren’t a thing when that motherboard was made.

I suppose this is it. The whole angled part of the clip is in the way so the only solution I can see would be to remove the clip, and that doesn't seem like a brilliant idea.

Any suggestions on a replacement motherboard/CPU in this situation? The recommendation earlier was only to switch out the GPU, but here we are.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

I believe you could remove the backplate without compromising the structure of the card - just don't unscrew the four screws on the corners of the GPU mounting - that's what holds the cooling assembly to the card. Just keep it and the screws handy should you ever have to RMA it.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
With ram I am needing to buy 32gb for holding lighting source data while rendering. The actual speed of the ram is inconsequential because everything is CPU locked anyway and a few seconds here or there between passes is meaningless compared to the hour per pass. Is there a reason to buy a 32gb kit instead of 4 individual sticks of 8gb if I have 4 dim sockets, the price differential is about 120 dollars.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Byolante posted:

With ram I am needing to buy 32gb for holding lighting source data while rendering. The actual speed of the ram is inconsequential because everything is CPU locked anyway and a few seconds here or there between passes is meaningless compared to the hour per pass. Is there a reason to buy a 32gb kit instead of 4 individual sticks of 8gb if I have 4 dim sockets, the price differential is about 120 dollars.

Technically yes, a kit is guaranteed to work together, four individual sticks are not.

In practice, as long as you buy them at the same time they're pretty much guaranteed to come from the same batch and as long as they're not hyper-binned 4500 RAM MT/s it'll almost certainly work. They will definitely work at JEDEC speeds (2400 MT/s) and will very probably work at their official speeds too, as long as that's something reasonable like 3000 or 3200.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Dec 17, 2017

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Paul MaudDib posted:

Technically yes, a kit is guaranteed to work together, four individual sticks are not.

In practice, as long as you buy them at the same time they're pretty much guaranteed to come from the same batch and as long as they're not hyper-binned 4500 RAM MT/s it'll almost certainly work. They will definitely work at JEDEC speeds (2400 MT/s) and will very probably work at their official speeds too, as long as that's something reasonable like 3000 or 3200.

I am just looking at the cheapest ram I can find on the motherboard's QVL list. So it will be either 2133 or 2400

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Byolante posted:

I am just looking at the cheapest ram I can find on the motherboard's QVL list. So it will be either 2133 or 2400

Yeah, no sweat. Buy the 4 sticks rather than the kit.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Impromptu Flip posted:

I suppose this is it. The whole angled part of the clip is in the way so the only solution I can see would be to remove the clip, and that doesn't seem like a brilliant idea.

Any suggestions on a replacement motherboard/CPU in this situation? The recommendation earlier was only to switch out the GPU, but here we are.

Backplate removal could work. Other options would be to remove the PSU and put it outside the case to free up space around the lower PCIe x16 slot and put the GPU in there. Or buy a new case with more space at the lower edge of motherboard.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

I need to spruce up my gaming pc with a new video card (it has a GeForce 560ti right now so it’s old). I’ve been out of the loop, is the 1060 6gb worth buying right now? Like are there new cards on the horizon or does it just not matter?
I ask because I want to pick up a zowie 144hz monitor and I need a new card obviously for dvi-d.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Social Animal posted:

I need to spruce up my gaming pc with a new video card (it has a GeForce 560ti right now so it’s old). I’ve been out of the loop, is the 1060 6gb worth buying right now? Like are there new cards on the horizon or does it just not matter?
I ask because I want to pick up a zowie 144hz monitor and I need a new card obviously for dvi-d.

nVidia generally releases the mid-range cards in a new GPU architecture ~6-9 months after the launch of the x70/x80, because if they released the x60 at the same time, it'd eat into their profits from the gotta-have-it end users who'd buy on impulse (it's also easier for the boardmakers if there are only two chips they need to bin), and they have to make it a sizable waiting period because if they made it ~3 months, people would just wait, instead of let their money eat a hole in their pocket.

A 6GB 1060 is still a damned good card. You might want to consider waiting on the monitor, though - the Dell 27" 1440p G-Sync went on sale for $349 a few weeks back, and your Zowie might be 144Hz, but it's still TN and doesn't have G-Sync. It's entirely possible the 27" Dell goes back on sale in the post-Christmas/pre-New Year's sale period.

Impromptu Flip
Aug 30, 2008

Saukkis posted:

Backplate removal could work. Other options would be to remove the PSU and put it outside the case to free up space around the lower PCIe x16 slot and put the GPU in there. Or buy a new case with more space at the lower edge of motherboard.

I have a Fractal Design case which I really like and I'd rather not change it. I'll pick up some needle nose pliers and screwdrivers and try taking off the backplate as you and Headline suggest. I had a look around online and it seems EVGA are perfectly with doing it. This is an annoying obstacle.

Also it turns out dual channel mode requires using DIMM2 & DIMM4. The more you know.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Impromptu Flip posted:

On recommendation here I bought an EVGA GTX 1070. It doesn't fit my motherboard - the GPU sits on top of the edge of the RAM levers.

Is there anything I can do here? If I upgrade the mobo/CPU, could this be a problem again? I couldn't find anything about this not fitting mATX.

Man, that's obnoxious. I'm sorry, I didn't know certain mATX motherboards could trip you up like that. It's only three years old too! It's pretty bizarre that they have such small clearances. Hope you can find a way to make it work.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

BIG HEADLINE posted:

nVidia generally releases the mid-range cards in a new GPU architecture ~6-9 months after the launch of the x70/x80, because if they released the x60 at the same time, it'd eat into their profits from the gotta-have-it end users who'd buy on impulse (it's also easier for the boardmakers if there are only two chips they need to bin), and they have to make it a sizable waiting period because if they made it ~3 months, people would just wait, instead of let their money eat a hole in their pocket.

A 6GB 1060 is still a damned good card. You might want to consider waiting on the monitor, though - the Dell 27" 1440p G-Sync went on sale for $349 a few weeks back, and your Zowie might be 144Hz, but it's still TN and doesn't have G-Sync. It's entirely possible the 27" Dell goes back on sale in the post-Christmas/pre-New Year's sale period.

Thanks for the advice. What exactly is the difference between TN and G-Sync? Major upgrade?

iSimian
Jan 19, 2008

Well, there's your problem!
I'm looking for some advice on upgrading my current computer. I use/will use this PC for gaming, normal office/internet work, Adobe Creative Suite CS6, and GameMaker Studio. I do not do much video editing or photography work.

The machine itself was bought December 2012, so it's fairly old. Looking at the parts it's made of tho, it seems I can get a substantial upgrade in gaming by just changing the GPU. I don't find the computer slow for any of the other stuff I'm using it, so I'm trying to find the most amount of upgrade for the least amount of money/changing of parts. I should add that I don't overclock at all. I currently use an iMac 27" 2009 as external display (2560x1440@60Hz), but plan to upgrade this to a 34-38" UltraWide soon (Alienware, or one of the new Asus/Acer with 200Hz, or the Acer 38" XR382CQK if gaming takes a back seat to productivity).

The current rig is:
Motherboard - MSI Z77A-GD55, Socket-1155
Processor - Intel Core i7-3770 (Using it with its stock fan)
GPU - Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 3GB GDDR5
RAM - 16 GB (4x4gb) Kingston DDR3 HyperX 1600MHx
PSU - XFX ProSeries Core Edition 550W
HDD - Crucial M4 SSD 2.5" 256GB
Case - NZXT H2 Midi Tower
OS - Win 10 Home

What I'm uncertain about is:
1. Can I just buy and replace the Radeon HD7970 with a GeForce 1080 and everything will work fine? (Upgrading the MoBO BIOS firmware tho)
2. Will the 550w PSU have enough power to run the computer as it is, but with a new GPU like the 1080?
3. Is buying the 1080 overkill compared to a 1070 or 1070TI? The price difference seems to be not that much between a 1070TI and 1080, and there are som options to buy a used 1080 instead of a brand new 1070TI etc.
4. Should I look into a better fan for the i7 3770 even if I'm not overclocking it?

Thank you in advance for help!

P.S. I should add I'm looking very hard on a used MSI GeForce GTX 1080 Gaming X that will cost some less than a new MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Gaming.

iSimian fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Dec 17, 2017

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Social Animal posted:

Thanks for the advice. What exactly is the difference between TN and G-Sync? Major upgrade?

TN is a type of LCD monitor panel technology. It's cheap and it reacts quickly to changes, so it's been common in high refresh rate gaming monitors for a long time. There are downsides, though - TN panels usually have godawful viewing angles and "gray out" if you're looking at the monitor from anywhere that isn't perfectly straight ahead, and they tend to have poor color reproduction. The monitor thread will tell you to never buy TN and instead always look for the more expensive IPS technology, which has none of TN's downsides (it does have its own caveats though, but they're generally far less obnoxious than those of a TN panel). I'm inclined to agree; TN panels are awful and once you've tasted IPS you will not want to go back.

G-sync is nVidia's variable refresh rate technology. With G-sync the monitor doesn't have to be locked to a fixed refresh rate but can instead be locked to the game's actual rendering rate, so you never get any tearing. AMD has its own competing technology called FreeSync. The problem with G-sync is that it requires some extra stuff in the monitor which nVidia charges a hefty premium for and so a monitor with G-sync tends to be $150-200 more expensive than an equivalent one without G-sync.

Impromptu Flip
Aug 30, 2008

TheFluff posted:

Man, that's obnoxious. I'm sorry, I didn't know certain mATX motherboards could trip you up like that. It's only three years old too! It's pretty bizarre that they have such small clearances. Hope you can find a way to make it work.

No worries. This isn't the kind of thing you can really anticipate - I appreciate your advice

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

total amount of ram being equal, is there a difference in performance between number of sticks?

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

1 stick is single channel, 2 sticks are dual channel.

You will get better numbers in your benchmark of choice running dual channel.

Jihad Me At Hello
Apr 23, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
I ordered that $60 8700k through tiger direct. Just says "pending review". We'll see! Been wanting to build an 8400 system, so this would be a nice start.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

iSimian posted:

I'm looking for some advice on upgrading my current computer. I use/will use this PC for gaming, normal office/internet work, Adobe Creative Suite CS6, and GameMaker Studio. I do not do much video editing or photography work.

The machine itself was bought December 2012, so it's fairly old. Looking at the parts it's made of tho, it seems I can get a substantial upgrade in gaming by just changing the GPU. I don't find the computer slow for any of the other stuff I'm using it, so I'm trying to find the most amount of upgrade for the least amount of money/changing of parts. I should add that I don't overclock at all. I currently use an iMac 27" 2009 as external display (2560x1440@60Hz), but plan to upgrade this to a 34-38" UltraWide soon (Alienware, or one of the new Asus/Acer with 200Hz, or the Acer 38" XR382CQK if gaming takes a back seat to productivity).

The current rig is:
Motherboard - MSI Z77A-GD55, Socket-1155
Processor - Intel Core i7-3770 (Using it with its stock fan)
GPU - Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 3GB GDDR5
RAM - 16 GB (4x4gb) Kingston DDR3 HyperX 1600MHx
PSU - XFX ProSeries Core Edition 550W
HDD - Crucial M4 SSD 2.5" 256GB
Case - NZXT H2 Midi Tower
OS - Win 10 Home

What I'm uncertain about is:
1. Can I just buy and replace the Radeon HD7970 with a GeForce 1080 and everything will work fine? (Upgrading the MoBO BIOS firmware tho)
2. Will the 550w PSU have enough power to run the computer as it is, but with a new GPU like the 1080?
3. Is buying the 1080 overkill compared to a 1070 or 1070TI? The price difference seems to be not that much between a 1070TI and 1080, and there are som options to buy a used 1080 instead of a brand new 1070TI etc.
4. Should I look into a better fan for the i7 3770 even if I'm not overclocking it?

Thank you in advance for help!

P.S. I should add I'm looking very hard on a used MSI GeForce GTX 1080 Gaming X that will cost some less than a new MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Gaming.

1. Yes - you'll want to uninstall the old AMD graphics driver though, of course
2. Yes
3. If you're planning 1440p ultrawide at high refresh rates, the 1080 is probably where you want to be. The 1070Ti is kinda pointless at the moment, it's a slightly worsened 1080 that's not cheap enough to motivate picking it over an actual 1080.
4. No real need for that if you're not overclocking, but it can make the computer a bit quieter.

You may end up bottlenecked by the CPU in certain games, but it's probably not gonna be too bad - at least not yet.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Dec 17, 2017

Otakufag
Aug 23, 2004
Will a 8400 bottleneck a 1080 ti or next gen volta gpus?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Otakufag posted:

Will a 8400 bottleneck a 1080 ti or next gen volta gpus?

That depends what resolution you're playing at but the general answer is yes, at 1440p it will moderately bottleneck and at 1080p it may bottleneck quite a bit.

Numinous
May 20, 2001

College Slice

Impromptu Flip posted:

On recommendation here I bought an EVGA GTX 1070. It doesn't fit my motherboard - the GPU sits on top of the edge of the RAM levers.

Is there anything I can do here? If I upgrade the mobo/CPU, could this be a problem again? I couldn't find anything about this not fitting mATX.

It's hard to tell from your pictures but could you potentially trim down the ram retention clips with a dremel or something? It's only plastic.

You wouldn't want to trim into the area that actually holds the DIMM in place but if it's just the spot that's designed for you to press down with your thumb you could probably live without it. It would potentially be very difficult to move the clip down the road but really how often do you swap RAM?

iSimian
Jan 19, 2008

Well, there's your problem!

TheFluff posted:

1. Yes - you'll want to uninstall the old AMD graphics driver though, of course
2. Yes
3. If you're planning 1440p ultrawide at high refresh rates, the 1080 is probably where you want to be. The 1070Ti is kinda pointless at the moment, it's a slightly worsened 1080 that's not cheap enough to motivate picking it over an actual 1080.
4. No real need for that if you're not overclocking, but it can make the computer a bit quieter.

You may end up bottlenecked by the CPU in certain games, but it's probably not gonna be too bad - at least not yet.

Thank you very much! These were all answers I hoped for!

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

so i'm looking at upgrading my existing machine rather than buying a new one. one of the features i need, thunderbolt, is not supported by my current motherboard. is it possible for me to take my existing cpu, a xeon 1231v3, out of my current motherboard and put it in a compatible motherboard that supports thunderbolt? like can you just transfer cpu like that?

Jihad Me At Hello
Apr 23, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Tiger direct cancelled my order without even an email. :(

Numinous
May 20, 2001

College Slice

Abel Wingnut posted:

so i'm looking at upgrading my existing machine rather than buying a new one. one of the features i need, thunderbolt, is not supported by my current motherboard. is it possible for me to take my existing cpu, a xeon 1231v3, out of my current motherboard and put it in a compatible motherboard that supports thunderbolt? like can you just transfer cpu like that?

I'm a little out of my element with regards to a Xeon chip, but as long as the motherboard supports the CPU then from a CPU and MB standpoint yea, go ahead. I would probably recommend a fresh OS on a switch like that.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Abel Wingnut posted:

You can geta PCIe Thunderbolt card. I'm not sure if LGA1150 motherboards are still available new.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

from what i’ve read, for a thunderbolt card to work with a motherboard, that motherboard needs built-in thunderbolt headers. mine, a h-97 gamer pro, does not

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Sorry, I've assumed all it needs is PCIe, should have done more research.

With regards to your CPU: you can check motherboard compatibility list to make sure, but it looks ok. For example Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD7 supports your CPU even with old BIOS version.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Numinous posted:

I'm a little out of my element with regards to a Xeon chip, but as long as the motherboard supports the CPU then from a CPU and MB standpoint yea, go ahead. I would probably recommend a fresh OS on a switch like that.

The E3 chips like that are just i5/i7s with ECC, there's not much unusual to them.

oliveoil posted:

It's a Micro ATX case and it seems to have two 120mm fans: http://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=314&area=en

I'm not sure if they're located optimally for cooling the GPU, though. Is there any downside to getting a single-fan GPU?

By the way, thank you for sharing your knowledge! :)

Especially with a fan in the back you'd be golden, but even just with the two that come with that I would try a dual-fan card if it fits and see how you do. The main downside to the single-fan ones is that they can't get quite as cool/quiet in ideal conditions and can't just idle the fan when idling the card due to lack of passive cooling ability. It's not a big deal though, I got a single-fan (FE) model for my 1060 because I bought early and the others were out of stock. Haven't really regretted it.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Quick question - between the MSI 1060 (this one) and the Gigabyte 1060 (this one), is there any clear winner? I've been told the MSI one is way better temp-wise (which I don't get because the other one has three fans instead of two), but the Gigabyte one is overall better due to faster clock speeds.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Azran posted:

Quick question - between the MSI 1060 (this one) and the Gigabyte 1060 (this one), is there any clear winner? I've been told the MSI one is way better temp-wise (which I don't get because the other one has three fans instead of two), but the Gigabyte one is overall better due to faster clock speeds.

Better temperatures directly mean better performance for Pascal cards like the 1060, and MSI is a better brand. Go with the MSI.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
Are the Samsung SSD's still the go to?

I think mine is glitching on me (3+ years old) causing some entirely random freeze-ups. On my third reformat and I am still getting the issue. Swapped mobo, PSU, and tested RAM for 8 hours. So... onto the hard drive... I think.

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005

Azran posted:

The MSI heatsink and fans are a bit bigger because the card extends further out from the PCIe slot.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Alright, thanks!

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

is an m.2 ssd worth the price? brief research tells me the huge jump in price doesn’t match the minimal jump in performance, but i might be missing something

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Abel Wingnut posted:

is an m.2 ssd worth the price? brief research tells me the huge jump in price doesn’t match the minimal jump in performance, but i might be missing something

It is a huge jump in performance for an nvme ssd (not all m.2 are nvme). However, the jump from HDD to SSD was so huge that most people have good enough performance from a SATA SSD and don't need NVME.

If your main use case is gaming, it's worth noting that load times are often not bound by disk access once you have a decent SSD, but by decompressing assets and other initialization work

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

VostokProgram posted:

It is a huge jump in performance for an nvme ssd (not all m.2 are nvme). However, the jump from HDD to SSD was so huge that most people have good enough performance from a SATA SSD and don't need NVME.

If your main use case is gaming, it's worth noting that load times are often not bound by disk access once you have a decent SSD, but by decompressing assets and other initialization work

my use case is audio production/recording. so i can see it possibly being worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So, I have an Dell Optiplex 960 minitower, and was gifted a GTX 1050ti mini graphics card. It doesn't quite fit, but I think it will if I take off the plastic face plate. Would that render it worthless?