Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005

NeuralSpark posted:

EDIT: Can anyone ID the CPU heatsink here:
https://ksr-ugc.imgix.net/assets/01...e91136410857bde

EDIT 2: Looks like it's a NH-L12S, which is list at 70mm where as the case is limited to 66. :(
I think that's the older 66mm L12: http://noctua.at/en/nh-l12.html, the new L12S wouldn't fit in that case

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

Wow I'd like to be as smart as a computer

Salted_Pork posted:

Has there been any improvement in m2 wifi cards since intels 7265 in 2014, or are sff builds condemned to second class wifi forever more?

what's wrong with buying a motherboard with integrated wifi?

nerdrum
Aug 17, 2007

where am I

Salted_Pork posted:

Has there been any improvement in m2 wifi cards since intels 7265 in 2014, or are sff builds condemned to second class wifi forever more?

the one that came with my z270 gigabyte one was truly the worst wireless card I used in a long time. I grabbed a BCM94360CS2 plus an adapter off ebay for a total of $20 shipped and now everything works wonderfully, including bluetooth.

Salted_Pork
Jun 19, 2011

Olivil posted:

what's wrong with buying a motherboard with integrated wifi?

That's what I'm doing at the moment, Killer 1535 (or 1435 not 100% sure) from 2014 in my Z270i Strix from 2017. I'm just wondering if this is something I can upgrade, and why it's so old.

Edit: It seems like intel is releasing the 9260 which can get 1.73 Gbps on 160 MHz (whatever that means) sometime this year.

Salted_Pork fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Dec 5, 2017

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

VulgarandStupid posted:

https://youtu.be/aUrhcovJZss

This thing is basically an Dan Case A4,but expandable to hold a 240mm AIO. Very cool but very expensive.

I like it. Not going to rush to replace my M1 with it, but I like it.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

It's really neat. I love the expandability so the case can be just as big as you need it to.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Wistful of Dollars posted:

I like it. Not going to rush to replace my M1 with it, but I like it.

Yeah, I mean at the end of the day it only comes in a liter or two smaller than the M1. If it was out today, and priced the same, I'd probably go with the Ghost.

Mung Dynasty
Jul 19, 2003

Why do the peasants slave while the emperor gets to eat all the mung?!
Is the Dr Zaber (ugh) Sentry ever going to be made available to the general public?

After my A4 build I've got an itch to do another SFF system just because.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
Getting a reference 1070 for $320 :getin: solved all my temperature and noise issues. is there any sound improvement with an acclero Xtreme III at idle, though? I was kind of expecting to rip off the reference cooler day 1, but this thing isn't that loud even at load

owls or something
Jul 7, 2003

At idle, the 1070 should be automatically shutting it's fan off unless the inside of your case is toasty.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

owls or something posted:

At idle, the 1070 should be automatically shutting it's fan off unless the inside of your case is toasty.

this may have happened and i didn't notice. the inside of the case is probably hot as hell, since it's a ncase and the cpu is just your standard noctua air cooler

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

owls or something posted:

The reference GTX cards do not spin down to 0. You'd have to do something like install an Accelero, and hook up the fans to the motherboard headers so they can be programmed to spin down when the temp is low.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
Yeah, if by reference you mean FE the fan won't ever turn all the way off. My 1060 FE idles around 1200-1300, but it's not audible over the case fans.

owls or something
Jul 7, 2003

My bad, didn't realize that was a custom thing. Sorry for the dumb info.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Eletriarnation posted:

Yeah, if by reference you mean FE the fan won't ever turn all the way off. My 1060 FE idles around 1200-1300, but it's not audible over the case fans.

All blower-type GPUs, whether GTX or AMD, can't have a "passive" cooling mode, because a shroud covers the heatsink. Custom coolers at least have the heatsink fins exposed to the environment so the heat can radiate away by convection, but with blower coolers that hot air is trapped in that plastic cage if the blower isn't moving.

With regards to SFF builds, note that a some of the "ITX" size cards, such as the Zotac Mini line, do not have passive fan mode despite being custom, I assume because the heatsinks just don't have enough surface area to work passively. Always check with the manufacturer when planning your build if passive stuff is important to you.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
i purposely avoided zotac's mini gpus because i heard they had awful cooling solutions. still very happy with my FE 1070, it isn't loud at all. but it's good knowing that i have a choice of an accelero if i really want to push for more cooling / possibly better sound

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

logikv9 posted:

i purposely avoided zotac's mini gpus because i heard they had awful cooling solutions. still very happy with my FE 1070, it isn't loud at all. but it's good knowing that i have a choice of an accelero if i really want to push for more cooling / possibly better sound

Zotac Minis are worse than other coolers for the obvious reason of fan and heatsink size, but they're not worse by much. I've never found the fan noise to be bad, I'm mining with a 1070ti mini and it's quiet right now. They do have some awful coil whine though because they don't have the room for robust power delivery.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I’ve had a mini 970 for however long they’ve been out, no issues. You can’t hear them at the lowest RPM. I’m sure you sacrifice a little overall but that’s the case with ITX anyway.

garfield hentai
Feb 29, 2004
I don't necessarily need a tiny portable thing, but is there a pretty good Micro ATX case that would fit a non SFF 1080ti, have adequate cooling and that would look good and fit in these shelves? I like my core v21 but it's too tall to go in there nicely.

Salted_Pork
Jun 19, 2011

garfield hentai posted:

I don't necessarily need a tiny portable thing, but is there a pretty good Micro ATX case that would fit a non SFF 1080ti, have adequate cooling and that would look good and fit in these shelves? I like my core v21 but it's too tall to go in there nicely.

Core G3 would, but it's full atx

garfield hentai
Feb 29, 2004
Ooh, one more thing to mention now that I looked up the G3 - I have two mech HDDs and one SSD that'd have to fit in there.

nerdrum
Aug 17, 2007

where am I
Potential interest check? I'm trying to get rid of my nCase build. Specs:

nCASE m1 v5 Black chassis, also have a set of silver panels I just got from china for it.
Delidded 7700k confirmed at 5ghz never above 62C on a Corsair H60 AIO
Gigabyte 270n-Wifi ITX Board with a hackintosh compatible wifi/bluetooth card installed.
Viper 2666 DDR4, 16 gigs
Crucial MX300 1tb PCIe SSD
eVGA Reference cooler nVidia GTX 1080 Ti graphics card, never overclocked. never had to.
Corsair SF600 with a set of custom dark grey cablemod shorty cables.

I have way too much money invested in this build, and I literally just want to buy a 4k iMac because I don't PLAY COMPUTER GAMES ANYMORE OK.

Numinous
May 20, 2001

College Slice

nerdrum posted:

Potential interest check? I'm trying to get rid of my nCase build. Specs:

nCASE m1 v5 Black chassis, also have a set of silver panels I just got from china for it.
Delidded 7700k confirmed at 5ghz never above 62C on a Corsair H60 AIO
Gigabyte 270n-Wifi ITX Board with a hackintosh compatible wifi/bluetooth card installed.
Viper 2666 DDR4, 16 gigs
Crucial MX300 1tb PCIe SSD
eVGA Reference cooler nVidia GTX 1080 Ti graphics card, never overclocked. never had to.
Corsair SF600 with a set of custom dark grey cablemod shorty cables.

I have way too much money invested in this build, and I literally just want to buy a 4k iMac because I don't PLAY COMPUTER GAMES ANYMORE OK.

I know you probably don't want to part it out, but if you do I'm interested in the nCASE m1. I would probably take the corsair and cables with it as well.

andygrabowski at gmail if you decide to part it. Or send me a PM.

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

This lovely paint image shows my current mITX setup (evga hadron air) which is running well and staying cool with a blower fan 970 (blue arrows for cold air and red arrows for hot exhaust, that bottom arrow was supposed to be a blue). Was planning on upgrading to a 1070 or a 1080 and the only things that really caught my eye were open air gpus. I know the open air gpus would increase the temps in the case as a whole so my question is whether the top exhaust fans (corsair Air Series AF120) would be sufficient or i should think about getting some more fans at the bottom of the case (high airflow? high static pressure?).

ughhhh fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Dec 17, 2017

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

You’re probably overthinking it. A blower might make a slight difference but I wouldn’t worry about it. Unless you’re absolutely trying to get the lowest temperature for ~reasons~ i would just get whatever air care you’re looking at.

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

More info about the Louqe Ghost landed in my inbox today, and it looks like my two-fans-pulling won't really do much.

http://louqe.com/img/GhostToHatTest.pdf

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Would a Node 202 with an 8700/8700k work well?

Are there any ”quiet" mitx vertical cases? I need to put the computer on the inside of the legs of my desk, so I need something way slimmer than the R5 I have now.

Other parts:
1x 2.5" SSD
Gigabyte 1070 G1 Gaming

garfield hentai
Feb 29, 2004
Eh well looks like my CPU (2500k) is bottlenecking the 1080ti pretty significantly so that's as good an excuse as any to blow even more money on even more upgrades and go mini ITX while I'm at it.

The Dan A4 and Ghost and stuff is cool just for the novelty of it, but for cases that are actually reasonable I like the looks of the Node 202 a lot. I've been seeing that a blower style card cooler is actually preferable to the open air one I have (EVGA SC2), but also that if I put some slim case fans in there it'll work just fine. Are there any recommended brands (I assume Noctua because everyone loves Noctua I guess) and recommendations as to push/pull/both/whatever? Also are the low profile CPU cooler recommendations in the OP still the go-tos?

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

So I have an empty Dan A4 case and want to put something in it for playing TF2 & Overwatch, possibly Valkyrie EVE, idk. In current usage is a Macbook AIr with GeForce NOW, I have a special config that makes TF2 not slow, but Overwatch in Parallels is terrible so I use GeForce NOW for that but performance is volatile. Budget around $2k in the US and I would like to continue using my Apple Thunderbolt Display (1440p).

The "HardForum" has a few example pricing sheets:

https://geizhals.eu/?cat=WL-678544
https://geizhals.eu/?cat=WL-677321
https://geizhals.eu/?cat=WL-678542

Probably something like the "High-End" (the one in the middle) would work as the fatal-one-ty motherboard has Thunderbolt support?

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

The Slack Lagoon posted:

Are there any ”quiet" mitx vertical cases? I need to put the computer on the inside of the legs of my desk, so I need something way slimmer than the R5 I have now.

Other parts:
1x 2.5" SSD
Gigabyte 1070 G1 Gaming

I'd go with the 65w 8700, but that should work. I put a stock 7700K into a 202 with a Cryorig C7 and it got and stayed pretty hot. You can put two low profile fan between the GPU and the bottom of the case to keep that side of the enclosure cooler.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

You’re probably overthinking it. A blower might make a slight difference but I wouldn’t worry about it. Unless you’re absolutely trying to get the lowest temperature for ~reasons~ i would just get whatever air care you’re looking at.

having positive pressure is pretty nice just so you don't have to clean as often

Numinous
May 20, 2001

College Slice

The Slack Lagoon posted:

Other parts:
1x 2.5" SSD
Gigabyte 1070 G1 Gaming

I'm running a 7700k in a Node 202 with a 1060 at work. Was running Nice Hash on it for a couple weeks and it was fine overall. Runs a little hot even with a nice low profile noctua cooler but certainly capable.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

garfield hentai posted:

Eh well looks like my CPU (2500k) is bottlenecking the 1080ti pretty significantly so that's as good an excuse as any to blow even more money on even more upgrades and go mini ITX while I'm at it.

The Dan A4 and Ghost and stuff is cool just for the novelty of it, but for cases that are actually reasonable I like the looks of the Node 202 a lot. I've been seeing that a blower style card cooler is actually preferable to the open air one I have (EVGA SC2), but also that if I put some slim case fans in there it'll work just fine. Are there any recommended brands (I assume Noctua because everyone loves Noctua I guess) and recommendations as to push/pull/both/whatever? Also are the low profile CPU cooler recommendations in the OP still the go-tos?

I recently built a machine in a Node 202, and I came to the conclusion that the Noctua NH-L9i with a NF-A9 PWM fan swap was pretty much the best I could do. So that's exactly what I went with. The NH-L9i comes with longer screws to allow installation of a 25mm thick fan.

garfield hentai
Feb 29, 2004

HalloKitty posted:

I recently built a machine in a Node 202, and I came to the conclusion that the Noctua NH-L9i with a NF-A9 PWM fan swap was pretty much the best I could do. So that's exactly what I went with. The NH-L9i comes with longer screws to allow installation of a 25mm thick fan.

That's pretty much the same fan but a bit thicker, right? Does it make that big a difference if I don't plan on overclocking (although I did end up getting a K CPU over my initial plan of an 8400 since the 8600k was $230 at Microcenter but still eh I dunno)

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

garfield hentai posted:

That's pretty much the same fan but a bit thicker, right? Does it make that big a difference if I don't plan on overclocking (although I did end up getting a K CPU over my initial plan of an 8400 since the 8600k was $230 at Microcenter but still eh I dunno)

Yeah, it's pretty much the same fan but thicker, so it pushes more air for the same amount of noise (or less noise for the same amount of air). It's probably not necessary at all; I was just trying to optimise the cooler as much as possible, seeing as options are pretty limited.

garfield hentai
Feb 29, 2004
Honestly I'll probably end up doing the same thing.

For kicks here's my list:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Dd9pZ8

Already got the video card which kicked off this whole thing when I realized my 2500k was going to be a bottleneck, and got the CPU since $230 for that was too good to pass up. Might go with the cheaper non-Fatal1ty branded ASrock for the motherboard but 1) I like the fact that I can change the polling rate without using third party apps (I have a stupidly expensive controller solely for playing arcade rips of IIDX, a hypersperg rhythm game) and 2) his bio in the manual where he talks about his mathematical skills being important for gaming is hilarious. RAM's just a placeholder, I'll just get whatever's the cheapest 2x8 kit when I pull the trigger. Keeping my current 512GB SSD and replacing my 3.5" 4TB drive with that 2TB Firecuda for my Steam library and putting my lard ROM collection on the Buffalo linkstation I got on impulse while picking up the CPU.

EDIT actually the ASUS seems like a better idea for the two M.2 slots probably?

garfield hentai fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Dec 20, 2017

garfield hentai
Feb 29, 2004
Welp good thing I have nothing to do at work, I was bored and was looking at the manuals/spec sheets for the stuff I had coming in the mail and it turns out that the Noctua NH-L9i won't actually work with the 8600k, it gets too hot and even explicitly says not it's compatible on their site. Having all the parts I need except for the CPU cooler is annoying I wanna put this together blerhererfg

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

How does this look like for a final build?

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor ($339.89 @ B&H)
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG - C7 40.5 CFM CPU Cooler ($29.99 @ Newegg Marketplace)
Motherboard: ASRock - Z370M-ITX/ac Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard ($126.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($219.99 @ Corsair)
Storage: Samsung - 840 EVO 1TB 2.5" Solid State Drive (Purchased For $0.00)
Video Card: Gigabyte - GeForce GTX 1070 8GB G1 Gaming Video Card (Purchased For $0.00)
Case: Fractal Design - Node 202 HTPC Case ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair - SF 450W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular SFX Power Supply ($89.34 @ Newegg)
Case Fan: Noctua - NF-A12x15 PWM 55.4 CFM 120mm Fan ($19.95 @ Newegg Marketplace)
Case Fan: Noctua - NF-A12x15 PWM 55.4 CFM 120mm Fan ($19.95 @ Newegg Marketplace)
Total: $916.08
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-12-27 11:31 EST-0500

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

garfield hentai posted:

Welp good thing I have nothing to do at work, I was bored and was looking at the manuals/spec sheets for the stuff I had coming in the mail and it turns out that the Noctua NH-L9i won't actually work with the 8600k, it gets too hot and even explicitly says not it's compatible on their site. Having all the parts I need except for the CPU cooler is annoying I wanna put this together blerhererfg

Well, it will still work, it'll just throttle it down. Don't overclock and limit the tdp in the bios if you can and everything will be fine. You'll have plenty of performance for most anything. Hell, depending on your case that might be one of the best options you have!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

garfield hentai
Feb 29, 2004

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

Well, it will still work, it'll just throttle it down. Don't overclock and limit the tdp in the bios if you can and everything will be fine. You'll have plenty of performance for most anything. Hell, depending on your case that might be one of the best options you have!

I'll be getting a Big Shuriken 2 in the next couple days, a few people complained it barely fit in the Node 202 and they had to remove the CPU dust filter while others said it was totally fine and they had no idea why people were complaining. I'm assuming it has to do with the socket placement on the motherboard (the filter has some plastic bits that latch on underneath the lid), we'll see how it works out. Even if it performs adequately when throttled, it seems dumb to me to intentionally gimp it so I can use it with a cooler that explicitly says "don't use it with this CPU" when a popular alternative is the exact same price.

garfield hentai fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Dec 27, 2017