Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Nessus posted:

Come now, be serious. In what way is this all worth 600 billion?

bitcoin is worth more money then there is in the world.
It has the blockchain

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I still don't understand bitcoin and don't care to do so

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/ShadowFart69/status/942621636787703808/

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Huzlers.com is the most infamous fauxtire & satire entertainment website in the world. If it's trending on social media you'll find it here!

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
oh haha I have to admit I was doin some other poo poo and did not google it

i'm the fake news spreader guy

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=611IRfRkSkw

Slightly Absurd
Mar 22, 2004

:laffo:

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?

wide stance posted:

A million times nope here. Your friends are full of poo poo if this is what they're telling you and it only takes a couple days from hitting the sell button (once) then having it show up in your checking account. Also should you decide to keep your US dollars on the exchange instead then it's insured.

People are buying/selling millions worth of BTC on Coinbase/GDAX using single orders.

Which is the point, they got involved with btc without any understanding of what it is. They couldn't' get a straight answer on selling unless they wanted a poo poo load of gift cards or using whatever rules whatever exchange uses. So the one guy who was smart enough to cash out, did so via 1:1 transaction with a cash discounted deal. Good for him. I think the other guys are going to take a bath on it.

Last time I looked at btc, mtgox was the big exchange for it and I was like... mtg.. like magic the gather cards? yeah nope.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

If you have not undertaken the study of the sacred texts then you deserve to lose your money and be sent to a secular Hell.

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe

abigserve posted:

today I found out that you can buy bitcoin from CoinBase in Australia, something they have supported for ages

you cannot sell it on the same platform and there are no dates for when you will be able to

I wonder how many of the "investors" I know have realised this yet

Yeah, same situation with this Danish one: https://123bitcoin.dk/
Big "Buy now" button, but no way of selling. I think they said they were "working on it" at some point, but now I can't find any reference to that on their site.

Here's another one: https://www.copenhagenbitcoin.dk/
Now, here you CAN sell with the tiny caveat that you have to be "certified". How do you get certified? Oh, it's real simple: You just have to buy at least 7500 kroners worth of Bitcoin in a month (that's about $1200).

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION

Nessus posted:

I thought the way it worked was that, up to some plausible limit, you just said "I gave X to charity" and took X off your tax bill, while of course whatever turd they're pushing through Congress right now changes that.

How do grown adults think this?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

a hot gujju bhabhi posted:

bitcoin!

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Some of us no-coiner lucky duckies haven't ever had to think about our itemized deductions due to being broke, Unca Scrooge

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

He's not entirely wrong, in many countries you can tax deduct small donations without providing a proof, but it's something fairly insignificant like $200/year.
However it doesn't discount your tax bill by 200, just reduces taxable base by 200.

Pyromancer fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Dec 18, 2017

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
the dollar is crashing! the world economy is crashing! i say, as i invest in a new digital currency bubble instead of learning to farm fish or hunt

the fed doesn't care about you! and they hate bitcoin! i prepare for this losing global war by using my credit card to turn old numbers into new numbers, both inedible and useless, how would i get killed or starve if the world economy truly collapsed? *points at enough campbells soup to feed a family two weeks*

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
It's simple, people hear smart businessy tv/movie characters say "tax deduction" and think it means a smaller direct tax, ala tax credits

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
I've also heard people say that it's smart to get paid as a 1099, because that way the government doesn't take any taxes from you

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

ur mum's a bubble

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.

loving moron inflation has been less than 2% for years. A gallon of milk cost $2-4 in 2008 and it costs $2-4 in 2017. People would buy US treasuries at a negative interest rate, that is how confidant they are in the US. Someone post the venn diagram of bitcoin users.

CassandraZara
Oct 21, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Dmitri-9 posted:

loving moron inflation has been less than 2% for years. A gallon of milk cost $2-4 in 2008 and it costs $2-4 in 2017. People would buy US treasuries at a negative interest rate, that is how confidant they are in the US. Someone post the venn diagram of bitcoin users.

You gotta be an idiot to look at treasury rates and be like "hmm actually everything is fine".

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

These are the same idiots who don’t understand marginal rates and will refuse extra work because they’ll be pushed into the next tax bracket and will “lose momey.”

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Dmitri-9 posted:

show me receipts for gallons of milk from 1940, 1980, 2004, 2008 and 2017

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

extra stout posted:

show me receipts for gallons of milk from 1940, 1980, 2004, 2008 and 2017

In 2004 the avg retail price of milk was 3.23, during the commodity bubble in 2008 the avg retail price was 3.68, and present avg retail price is 3.28. Look at all that scary inflation.

Per https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/spendingandborrowing/this-is-what-milk-cost-the-year-you-were-born/

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Dmitri-9 posted:

In 2004 the avg retail price of milk was 3.23, during the commodity bubble in 2008 the avg retail price was 3.68, and present avg retail price is 3.28. Look at all that scary inflation.

Per https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/spendingandborrowing/this-is-what-milk-cost-the-year-you-were-born/

post a picture of your hand gripping all the receipts, but make sure they are legible, i'll do my own math thank you

communist kangaroo
Oct 2, 2006

those are my principles, and if you don't like them...well, i have koalas.
They're just cutting the milk with water you idiots

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe

extra stout posted:

the dollar is crashing! the world economy is crashing! i say, as i invest in a new digital currency bubble instead of learning to farm fish or hunt

Hold on now! This Danish ultralibertarian, Lasse Birk Olesen, the brother of our Danish minister of housing, studied to become a mechanical engineer because he wanted a particularly useful occupation when he moves to a seastead (they'll finish one any day now).

Unfortunately somewhere along the line his life took a different turn. You'll never guess what he does now! Why yes, he DOES run a Bitcoin exchange.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
It's a good thing that milk is the only inflationary good that we have.

May want to look at other things that we buy that make up the basket.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

TraderStav posted:

It's a good thing that milk is the only inflationary good that we have.

May want to look at other things that we buy that make up the basket.

The things that are outpacing inflation are education, childcare, and healthcare. The average CPI increase has been ~2% for almost 40 years since the end of stagflation. Yes inflation occurs but I'm guessing shitcoin academy youtube idiot doesn't really have a good grasp on what affects it and CassandraZara and extra stout only know a little bit more than him.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

inflation is good

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Sentient Data posted:

It's simple, people hear smart businessy tv/movie characters say "tax deduction" and think it means a smaller direct tax, ala tax credits

Is it an actual deduction in the US?

I'm only used to doing Canadian taxes, and up here it's just a credit (federally, 15% up to $200, 29% on anything above that), but you need to make sure it's a legit registered charity with a registration number, and a receipt outlining the dollar value in case you get audited.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Yeah! gently caress inflation! (Holds a tremendous amount of static debt) Fed always loving with me *buys Bitcoin*

Moxxis Endowment
Dec 11, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

Dmitri-9 posted:

The things that are outpacing inflation are education, childcare, and healthcare.
Not housing?

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

mojo1701a posted:

Is it an actual deduction in the US?

I'm only used to doing Canadian taxes, and up here it's just a credit (federally, 15% up to $200, 29% on anything above that), but you need to make sure it's a legit registered charity with a registration number, and a receipt outlining the dollar value in case you get audited.

It's functionally the same. The American version is the charitable gift is a deduction off gross income, so the effective credit is (your marginal rate) x (the deduction). In Canada it seems like they just multiply the charitable gift by a percentage and provide that as a credit, either way it's some fraction of the write-off.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Nope. Nationwide, inflation on housing prices has been around 2% for a generation, and somewhat lower in the last decade.

Certain housing markets have appreciated much faster than others though, so if you're living in San Francisco or Boston it probably doesn't feel like that.

down n out
Sep 16, 2008

Nap Ghost

Imagine paying $200 to learn about bitcoin from a guy who can’t hold it together for 15 minutes without shouting about the banks collapsing, Darwinism, and tea parties.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

It's functionally the same. The American version is the charitable gift is a deduction off gross income, so the effective credit is (your marginal rate) x (the deduction). In Canada it seems like they just multiply the charitable gift by a percentage and provide that as a credit, either way it's some fraction of the write-off.

I know the difference myself (though even as a CPA student I still catch myself using them interchangeably sometimes), I just didn't know the US treats it as an actual deduction.

But yeah, if you could get all that and claim it on your return, it might be one of the best ways to cash out on Bitcoin without really needing any money touching your bank account. You'd still take a large haircut, but if you just want out, then at least in Canada, you can carry forward any donations for 5 years if you can't use it all at once.

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

My favorite is how so few people understand marginal tax rates in the U.S. It's always good to make as much money as possible, but people think jumping a tax bracket means their entire income will be taxed at the higher level.

So if the bracket was at $100,000, they'd rather earn $99,999 than $100,001, even though that just means they'd have less money, because they're clueless and think the entire sum would be taxed at an additional x% and not just the last two dollars.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

extra stout posted:

i can't do any of these but i can cook and cure meat

Moxxis Endowment
Dec 11, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo
I mean, it's kind of hard to blame americans for being ignorant about even basic tax poo poo like the above when the full tax code is two 8 lb volumes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Do you guys want to hear a good "doesn't understand tax credit vs deduction" story

I was buying a truck for our business and we ended up buying this Silverado from a guy in a nearby rural town

He said it had a new engine and transmission and sure enough he had invoices from a shop for both, and the truck wasn't even like 10 years old. I asked him why it needed a new engine and transmission so soon (only had like 50k miles) and he said "well because they're for my business, I replace them every couple of years on my work trucks"

And I didn't really want to openly just laugh at him so I said "But like, that's a tax deduction, not a credit, so you're still paying way more than you need to on these trucks. You aren't getting free engines." and he just gave me this look like I was a fuckin idiot who didn't understand taxes and goes "Well, it's been working for me so I'm just gonna keep doing it" so I just said "That's cool man"

That guy is still spending thousands per truck every couple years over what he needs to I guess