Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
I don't think ESPN would put out a supportive press release if there was more to come, but I guess I shouldn't put too much faith in institutions at this point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/richarddeitsch/status/942791866243837952

cue lebatard reckless speculation sounder

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Disney will replace him with the Fox Sports guy who made their website go to all-video.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Timby posted:

Disney will replace him with the Fox Sports guy who made their website go to all-video.

Please no

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

iospace posted:

Please no

Didn't that guy actually get fired for some combo of alcohol+grabass?

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Dexo posted:

https://twitter.com/Smooth_Orator/status/942789699927707649

He just got extended, no way is this dude leaving just for a substance abuse thing

well substance abuse usually isn't a noticeable problem until it affects someone's behavior and they do something outside the lines of acceptable. So, yeah, he did something while hosed up, coulda been as simple as missing work too much or he coulda had a meltdown in the office, who knows?

other option is it seriously affected his health, but that seems slightly less likely (why would that make you resign?)

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Redgrendel2001 posted:

Didn't that guy actually get fired for some combo of alcohol+grabass?

I had honestly completely forgotten that Horowitz got taken out in a sex scandal.

Also, reading between the lines on Skipper it sounds like he was showing up to work still drunk from the night before.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

EvanTH posted:

other option is it seriously affected his health, but that seems slightly less likely (why would that make you resign?)

Because being both president and the public face of a gargantuan cable network is likely an enormous, stressful timesink that doesn't allow for much downtime.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

EvanTH posted:

The statement says his resignation was "mutually agreed" upon by both him and Iger, which is corporate lingo for "quit, or else we're firing you."

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

So....hookers and blow?

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

shyduck posted:

Here's the link for the official announcement

https://twitter.com/CoyWire/status/942788404026241024

Papi eat the contract

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

shyduck posted:

Here's the link for the official announcement

https://twitter.com/CoyWire/status/942788404026241024

If he was high out of his mind the last few years that goes a long way towards explaining ESPN's decision-making process.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

LOL to imagine that all the ESPN excess and subsequent bloodletting occurred because John Skipper was showing up to work shitfaced.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

DJExile posted:

Because being both president and the public face of a gargantuan cable network is likely an enormous, stressful timesink that doesn't allow for much downtime.

Resign as opposed to taking some company-backed sabbatical where they release public statements about how caring and good an organization they are and of course they have the utmost sympathy for his disease

Timby posted:

The statement says his resignation was "mutually agreed" upon by both him and Iger, which is corporate lingo for "quit, or else we're firing you."

Yeah

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Crazy Ted posted:

LOL to imagine that all the ESPN excess and subsequent bloodletting occurred because John Skipper was showing up to work shitfaced.

Nah, the mandate to cut the budget (I think it was like $350 million over two years) came directly from Disney / Iger, because the company is hemorrhaging money on ESPN (the Monday Night Football deal, in particular, is a millstone).

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Awful Announcing's Ben Koo with a pretty good point

https://twitter.com/bkoo/status/942826520774524929

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

DJExile posted:

Awful Announcing's Ben Koo with a pretty good point

https://twitter.com/bkoo/status/942826520774524929

Also if it's over the Jemele Hill thing, it wouldn't be so abrupt. We' get a "Skipper will be stepping down on February 1".

Maybe it's all legit and he's really got a problem and is seeking help for it. But with everything going on, you wonder if that's the excuse that'll be used if we find out a bunch of women came forward with some stories.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

Niwrad posted:

Also if it's over the Jemele Hill thing, it wouldn't be so abrupt. We' get a "Skipper will be stepping down on February 1".

Maybe it's all legit and he's really got a problem and is seeking help for it. But with everything going on, you wonder if that's the excuse that'll be used if we find out a bunch of women came forward with some stories.

Either what we're getting is the whole story, or he's making a cover for something worst like sexual harassment. Like others have said though, if there was another shoe to drop, the company wouldn't have put out the statement they did.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I dunno, outing yourself as having a substance abuse problem seems like really poor cover if sexual abuse claims are gonna get out there anyway. I mean who really knows at this point but there are dozens of excuses for him to leave if it's actually sexual harassment/abuse that don't also make him sound like a junkie.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I think in the current environment, admitting to a drug problem is a more graceful exit than sex abuse claims.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

FlamingLiberal posted:

I think in the current environment, admitting to a drug problem is a more graceful exit than sex abuse claims.

Oh totally, but if it's not actually the case and the sex abuse stuff comes out (if it happened it totally will), it just makes you look even worse.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
He wasn't addicted to drugs or booze.

His substance of choice was "new sets" and the only rehab for that is "you're fired stop spending our goddamn money."

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

GobiasIndustries posted:

I dunno, outing yourself as having a substance abuse problem seems like really poor cover if sexual abuse claims are gonna get out there anyway. I mean who really knows at this point but there are dozens of excuses for him to leave if it's actually sexual harassment/abuse that don't also make him sound like a junkie.

Nah, a lot of people who get busted sexually harassing or assaulting women blame it on booze or drugs. "You see I propositioned the interns not because I'm a pervert abusing my power, but because I was drunk".

Maybe it has nothing to do with that stuff but with all the stories coming out on ESPN, it sure looks like something else is up.

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

The amount of glee and football-spiking that's been generated by this announcement has been gross by basic human dignity standards and pretty normal by internet standards. It shouldn't have surprised me, but it did.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
I wonder how many people he laid off are unable to get treatment for substance abuse

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Niwrad posted:

Nah, a lot of people who get busted sexually harassing or assaulting women blame it on booze or drugs. "You see I propositioned the interns not because I'm a pervert abusing my power, but because I was drunk".

Maybe it has nothing to do with that stuff but with all the stories coming out on ESPN, it sure looks like something else is up.

I get that too, it just seems odd to lead with substance abuse to me :shrug: I hope that's all to the story and that he's legit getting help.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Timby posted:

Nah, the mandate to cut the budget (I think it was like $350 million over two years) came directly from Disney / Iger, because the company is hemorrhaging money on ESPN (the Monday Night Football deal, in particular, is a millstone).
Well yes I know this, but him coming to work hammered would seem like a jokingly, halfway-plausible cause for some of the financial decisions he made, like Monday Night Football and ungodly amounts of money on studio renovations.

Especially MNF.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Crazy Ted posted:

Well yes I know this, but him coming to work hammered would seem like a jokingly, halfway-plausible cause for some of the financial decisions he made, like Monday Night Football and ungodly amounts of money on studio renovations.

Especially MNF.

like when nbc got sunday night football we all knew espn was getting the short end with mondays

the nfl putting a higher priority on thursday night games didn't help either

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Crazy Ted posted:

Especially MNF.

The acting chair is the guy responsible for the MNF deal I thought.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

Crazy Ted posted:

So we should definitely let a bunch of contributors go to pay Woj a million dollars when his main thing is breaking news on twitter?

Skipper: *nods out*

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

exploded mummy posted:

The acting chair is the guy responsible for the MNF deal I thought.

Bodenheimer made the call to punt MNF from ABC to ESPN. Skipper signed off on the current deal (signed in 2012, I think?) that I guarantee you ESPN would do anything to get out from.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

chunkles posted:

So we should definitely let a bunch of contributors go to pay Woj a million dollars when his main thing is breaking news on twitter?

Skipper: Also, while we're at it we need to restrict how our employees use and break news on Twitter.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

chunkles posted:

"Darren Rovell? Oh he can't get fired."

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Timby posted:

Bodenheimer made the call to punt MNF from ABC to ESPN. Skipper signed off on the current deal (signed in 2012, I think?) that I guarantee you ESPN would do anything to get out from.

They aren't getting $8 per subscriber without the NFL. They don't just need MNF but they need the highlights that come with it (although I guess you could argue they could buy those rights separately).

Skipper made some bad decisions and didn't see cord-cutting coming, but I don't think things are as dire as they're made out to be. ESPN is still really profitable. It's just not as insanely profitable as it was. It seems like they just hit a really nice sweet spot for a number of years where cable was at it's peak and it's tough to blame them fully for changing dynamics and not meeting that ridiculous profitability again.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Bodenheimer is the guy from the ESPN book that Steve Jobs told "your phone is the stupidest loving idea I've ever seen"

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

FlamingLiberal posted:

"Darren Rovell? Oh he can't get fired."

"Uhhhhhh Sir, Darren Rovell and Stephen A Smith are punting babies off the roof!!!"

"Sigh...I guess it's time for their contract extensions"

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Diana Moskovitz has a long reflection on her time as a reporter for NFL Network. It's about what you'd expect.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

It actually wasn't as bad as I was expecting. Sounds like most of the emptiness we experience in the corporate world.

She did take a few jabs at Deadspin/Gawker at the end which was interesting. Left out the Greg Howard stuff but still interesting.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

this was a really great article. I liked how it linked contemporary journalism (and really so many other professions) with labour in the NFL: basically the NFL labour situation is a microcosm for American garbage capitalism. I also thought it did a good job of highlighting how in these precarious situations (only enhanced by poo poo labour situations) gender discrimination is more easily swept under the rug. It''s difficult to file a grievance about any type of discrimination when you're not a real employee and the turnover is already so insane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
My favorite bit is her asking why the cheerleaders have to wear their uniforms but the players don't. I know cheerleaders and players aren't exactly an apples to apples comparison in the NFL but that's a pretty egregious example of sexism in the workplace, especially considering that they told a woman who dared ask a question about it to be quiet and not to ask those kind of questions.