Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

I just saw this last night and I'm about 10 pages behind in reading the thread, but I wanted to post a few things. First, I got a strong impression from the bombs at the beginning that they were live droids. Could've been just dumb objects rattling around under the maneuvering/attacks but they seemed too individual for that; they seemed nervous in a way akin to roosting hens.

The cave sequence was fascinating but I don't think I fully understand it. When she asked about her parents and saw her own reflection it brought to mind Anakin's birth, as a creation directly of the Force itself. It also seemed like a way to depict Rey expanding her perceptions beyond the present; it seemed to shift perspective along the sequence, from her physical presence in the cave along to where she was almost seeing her future actions before she took them, or seeing her immediate past/present actions simultaneously. I need to ponder that one some more.

I admit I wasn't into it all that well until Ghost Yoda showed up; after that it suddenly clicked and became really good. Luke was incredibly good, beyond what I was hoping for, and I was hoping for a lot. Snoke's guards were perfect for the difficult-to-get-right "Star Wars aesthetic" in a way that a lot of the newer movies can't quite nail. I feel conflicted about the movie overall in a similar way that I did about the prequels, which bodes well. There's a lot to digest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Guy A. Person posted:

Maybe my memory is fuzzy, but did Poe ever tell Finn and Rose that Laura Dern was planning to use the transports to escape? All I can think of is that it was when they were on their way back in the stolen ship prior to the mutiny but after Poe saw her fueling the transports. Otherwise I wasn't sure how Benicio even had that info, the whole premise of the code cracker plan was that they didn't think there was an official plan at all up until well after they left, much less the actual details of flying under the radar to a nearby planet (which he didn't learn till Leia personally ended the mutiny at the exact moment Finn and Rose were captured)

Yes, there's a shot of DJ listening in as Poe tells Finn and Rose that Holdo s packing everyone onto transports; hence how DJ knows that info and can trade it for his freedom

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Saw it a second time, yep, still enjoy it.

I'm as big a Star Wars nerd as they come, but I think some of you guys are taking things a little too seriously. If you can't enjoy this movie from the franchise that brought us the goddamn Ewoks and Lumpy the Wookie, I'm sorry man.

Which reminds me, Bea Arthur is canon, right? Or did Disney scrap that?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

CornHolio posted:

Saw it a second time, yep, still enjoy it.

I'm as big a Star Wars nerd as they come, but I think some of you guys are taking things a little too seriously. If you can't enjoy this movie from the franchise that brought us the goddamn Ewoks and Lumpy the Wookie, I'm sorry man.

Which reminds me, Bea Arthur is canon, right? Or did Disney scrap that?

The Holiday Special is no longer canon...but Ackmena the night bartender gets mentioned in From A Certain Point of View, so she's still canonical as a character.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

jivjov posted:

Yes, there's a shot of DJ listening in as Poe tells Finn and Rose that Holdo s packing everyone onto transports; hence how DJ knows that info and can trade it for his freedom

OK I for sure missed that then realized as I was asking the only logical place it could have been.

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!
Come to think of it Holdos plan was kind of lovely for the people in the medical frigate / other ships that ran out of fuel along the way. No wonder Poe mutineered.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Isometric Bacon posted:

Come to think of it Holdos plan was kind of lovely for the people in the medical frigate / other ships that ran out of fuel along the way. No wonder Poe mutineered.

There's like 30 seconds of her talking to the last guy who stayed behind to pilot the ship about how the evacuation is complete.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

PostNouveau posted:

There's like 30 seconds of her talking to the last guy who stayed behind to pilot the ship about how the evacuation is complete.

<bane voice> Perhaps he's wondering why you would need to pilot a ship that doesn't have fuel and is traveling in a straight line.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Isometric Bacon posted:

It looked like the only people on the two support ships were the pilots; you can see transports leaving those ships and coming to the Raddus, so presumably they evacuated everyone
E: shoulda refreshed, I guess

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Even if they did need a pilot, why did they leave behind a vice admiral to be sacrificed? Like, send a low-ranking grunt, a droid, whatever.

e: spoilers

Vegetable fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Dec 18, 2017

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

dont even fink about it posted:

<bane voice> Perhaps he's wondering why you would need to pilot a ship that doesn't have fuel and is traveling in a straight line.

Yeah, space works weird in this one. You need to be "above" a ship on its plane to "drop" bombs on it. You need to continuously burn tons of fuel to travel in a straight line in a vacuum. Lasers arc like cannonballs.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

You do need fuel to achieve constant acceleration.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

euphronius posted:

K cool. I thought they were just getting to like, max speed and staying there, but I guess a chase where they're constantly accelerating makes sense.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

With the bombs I just figured they were so close to that big ship that the big ships artificial gravity field was active.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

euphronius posted:

And technically in space you don't need fuel to maintain speed. Lol what a lovely movie, what a load of crap hahaha. They should of played some kerbal to learn about space.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Tenzarin posted:

And technically in space you don't need fuel to maintain speed. Lol what a lovely movie, what a load of crap hahaha. They should of played some kerbal to learn about space.

Maybe you are joking but they had people behind them.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

euphronius posted:

Maybe you are joking but they had people behind them.

No in space there is no friction, if you jump off like a ledge you will continue to be jumping until you stop yourself. So all they needed was to push themselves up to top speed and then turn the engines off to stay at that speed. AKA use no fuel!

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

PostNouveau posted:

K cool. I thought they were just getting to like, max speed and staying there, but I guess a chase where they're constantly accelerating makes sense.

yeah they approach relativistic speed which explains how rey had time to train, go visit snoke, then find them on the planet. what was a few hours for poe was weeks for rey and finn

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Tenzarin posted:

No in space there is no friction, if you jump off like a ledge you will continue to be jumping until you stop yourself. So all they needed was to push themselves up to top speed and then turn the engines off to stay at that speed.

He's saying it's not a chase between ships at top speed. The fleets are constantly accelerating for the whole 18 hours.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Tenzarin posted:

No in space there is no friction, if you jump off like a ledge you will continue to be jumping until you stop yourself. So all they needed was to push themselves up to top speed and then turn the engines off to stay at that speed. AKA use no fuel!

the first order ships are accelerating behind them so they also have to accelerate

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

mastershakeman posted:

yeah they approach relativistic speed which explains how rey had time to train, go visit snoke, then find them on the planet. what was a few hours for poe was weeks for rey and finn

Star Wars has never done the effects of time dilation. Ever. That at least is consistent.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

PostNouveau posted:

He's saying it's not a chase between ships at top speed. The fleets are constantly accelerating for the whole 18 hours.

euphronius posted:

the first order ships are accelerating behind them so they also have to accelerate

Lol, some star wars movies we got now. Just make your excuses to make it work.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

euphronius posted:

Star Wars has never done the effects of time dilation. Ever. That at least is consistent.

they've also never rammed a ship through another at hyperspace speed
or had cloaks

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Dec 18, 2017

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I didn't really like the look of Snoke's throne room. Too much red imo.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.

mastershakeman posted:

or had cloaks

darth maul had a cloaking device. i read it in the encyclopedia with pictures when i was 6 years old.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

mastershakeman posted:

or had cloaks

Well, ships as small as the Falcon don't have cloaking devices. Larger one, presumably do, if that one Imperial is to be believed.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Davros1 posted:

Well, ships as small as the Falcon don't have cloaking devices. Larger one, presumably do, if that one Imperial is to be believed.

We don't ever see a cloaked vessel in any Star War film. Piett is utterly perplexed about where the falcon went because no one can see it anymore and he says that small ships can't have cloaking devices.

If you give any poo poo (you likely shouldn't for any discussion about the movies themselves), any mentions or appearances of cloaking devices in Rebels, Clone Wars and the comics are Klingon Bird of Prey style full on visual cloaks

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I keep waiting for an Interdictor to show up in one of the movies as a plot point, they were always used to pretty good effect in the EU novels.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
I'm not a scientist but I don't think there is a "top speed" in space. You will accelerate as long as you are burning fuel.

Not sure how real life laser swords and artificial gravity work though. Magic?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Artificial gravity has always been magic afaict.

Laser swords are just plasma.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

UmOk posted:

I'm not a scientist but I don't think there is a "top speed" in space. You will accelerate as long as you are burning fuel.

Not sure how real life laser swords and artificial gravity work though. Magic?

When the ships ran out of fuel for some reason they stopped moving, lol.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Man this science fiction movie isn’t realistic at all.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Important to remember that in Star Wars, space is not space, it's World War II.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Tenzarin posted:

They did?

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

dont even fink about it posted:

Important to remember that in Star Wars, space is not space, it's World War II.

Um no. These movies are actually history of real events in a galaxy far away. https://www.wookiepedia.com

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Tenzarin posted:

No, they stopped accelerating, whereas the large Imperial ships did not.

Star Wars has a metric loving ton of bullshit science (like the Dreadnaught 'sinking' after it was bombed, even though they're too far from any planets to be affected by gravity) but that really wasn't one of them. Relative speed and acceleration aren't difficult concepts.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

UmOk posted:

Um no. These movies are actually history of real events in a galaxy far away. https://www.wookiepedia.com

You spelled wookiee wrong

Also I read your username as "ooh-mahk"

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

CornHolio posted:

No, they stopped accelerating, whereas the large Imperial ships did not.

Nah I’m pretty sure they actually started diverting / wobbling until they fell in range of the guns.

(I’ve only seen this once so I may be misremembering the ships after they started getting hit)

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

euphronius posted:

yoda looked like the ot yoda because that was the oldest yoda in the timeline. That is the yoda who turned into a force ghost.

Yoda looked really weird and, you know, like a puppet, and it was honestly pretty distracting. I understand that a lot of people actually want him to transparently look like a puppet because they think Star Wars is supposed to be like The Muppets or something.

e:

Hobo Clown posted:

Also, looking back Yoda's line about "Lots of wisdom in there, but nothing Rey doesn't already have" is pretty great given that reveal at the end.

That struck me as weirdly anti-intellectual, actually. Apparently the Jedi are all about literal book-burning now? Burn the Bible and the Koran and the Vedas, I guess, because they're boring and old? Just really weird.

How is Rey going to learn to be a full Jedi now? It's something that's supposed to take years of intense study, training, and hard work. Now there's no one left to teach her and all the texts are gone. But Rey doesn't need those because books are useless and ancient wisdom is retarded?

Cnut the Great fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Dec 18, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Nah I’m pretty sure they actually started diverting / wobbling until they fell in range of the guns.

(I’ve only seen this once so I may be misremembering the ships after they started getting hit)

There's surely a lot of spinning and otherwise moving parts inside those ships, along with exhaust. When the drive shuts down, do does the thrust vectoring that stabilizes those motions, so the ship starts slowly going off-course a bit.

But then I'm justifying imagery in a Star Wars film with science.

Meh, why not a little more:
To anyone talking about relativistic speed, remember the word in there is "relative-" if the ships are accelerating near-equally, then the relative difference in acceleration (and thus, change in speed) is very small.

Also, Hyperdrive seems to allow reorientation of your inertial reference, given that you can travel from one planet orbit to another and be moving pretty slowly relative to both, even though they're probably hurtling at a very high speed relative to one another. Thus the passage of time during the chase and elsewhere could be the same...?

Zomborgon fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Dec 18, 2017