Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Hunter Noventa posted:

In regards to scaling, I still want a pokemon game that lets you do the gyms in any order, and the difficulty of the gym is based on how many badges you already have.

There’s a proof of concept hack that does exactly that, Roaming Red.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Blaze Dragon posted:

People keep saying that without realizing how much it'd gently caress up the game. Pokemon is just not built to be an open-world game.

It's almost as terrible of an idea as having all regions in one game.

Plus Game Freak would never go back to having more freedom of choice in going about the map, considering how kids were stymied enough by the 2 branching paths in Sinnoh.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Strange Quark posted:

Plus Game Freak would never go back to having more freedom of choice in going about the map, considering how kids were stymied enough by the 2 branching paths in Sinnoh.

One does have to remember, as you're saying, that this is a game for kids.

And, well, the adults who grew up playing it, too.

Gamefreak has a vested interest in keeping it simple because of that. A open world or pseudo-open world Pokemon, while a cool idea, would likely be a royal pain in the butt to make from GF's standpoint (the aforementioned scaling problems). It's very easy to go "Oh, we want this in a game", but the problem is more complexity makes the game harder to make. While Pokemon effectively prints money for GF and Nintendo, time and effort are also increased.

Basically demand more features and you run into the problem that's known as Star Citizen.

The White Dragon posted:

i feel like this is supposed to be gladio but you barely even see him. he should be a maze boss, like gary; hau could've been the new area level check boss: easy, but has certain weaknesses and resistances you'll want to know for the upcoming areas.

This may be what GF went for but ultimately didn't pan out the way they wanted it to be.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

iospace posted:

One does have to remember, as you're saying, that this is a game for kids.

And, well, the adults who grew up playing it, too.

Gamefreak has a vested interest in keeping it simple because of that. A open world or pseudo-open world Pokemon, while a cool idea, would likely be a royal pain in the butt to make from GF's standpoint (the aforementioned scaling problems). It's very easy to go "Oh, we want this in a game", but the problem is more complexity makes the game harder to make. While Pokemon effectively prints money for GF and Nintendo, time and effort are also increased.

Basically demand more features and you run into the problem that's known as Star Citizen.

This may be what GF went for but ultimately didn't pan out the way they wanted it to be.
Yeah. People complain about the literal plot gates in SuMo and USUM but I think that actually works pretty well. And there's plenty of out-of-the way and optional places to explore and things to do, so it keeps it interesting and not totally railroaded while not being open-world.

However, I still prefer the absolutely absurd plot gates, like in sinnoh not being able to go on a certain route until you get the medicine to cure the literal gigantic pile-up of psyduck in the way.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

PetraCore posted:

However, I still prefer the absolutely absurd plot gates, like in sinnoh not being able to go on a certain route until you get the medicine to cure the literal gigantic pile-up of psyduck in the way.
:allears:
Psyduck wall was the best roadblock.

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes

PetraCore posted:

Yeah. People complain about the literal plot gates in SuMo and USUM but I think that actually works pretty well. And there's plenty of out-of-the way and optional places to explore and things to do, so it keeps it interesting and not totally railroaded while not being open-world.

Blaziken386 posted:

:allears:
Psyduck wall was the best roadblock.

The dancing men in BW2 are actually the best, sorry.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Actually it's the classic passed out drunk dude in Red and Blue.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Diet Poison posted:

First of all, gently caress Ho-oh and his stupid-rear end 90 speed. I just want this stupid bird in a Fast Ball.
Second, haha, when it killed my last mon I whipped out my wallet and threw six thousand bucks at it so I could get away? This game operates on insane logic from start to finish.

How else do you think Ho-Oh pays for his harem of dancing girls?

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Vinylshadow posted:

How else do you think Ho-Oh pays for his harem of dancing girls?

Selling shiny eggs to Wonka.

Hope your trainer name isnt Veruca.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

I’ve gotten into the habit of listening to the ultra jungle theme at the gym. It’s very powerful 👍

Alloran
Dec 30, 2014

I think this line is mostly filler.
So. The event Rockruff. To evolve it into it's orange form, I need to evolve it between 5-6 PM, which in Moon is 5-6 AM, right? How badly will I mess up my game changing the time anymore?

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Alloran posted:

So. The event Rockruff. To evolve it into it's orange form, I need to evolve it between 5-6 PM, which in Moon is 5-6 AM, right? How badly will I mess up my game changing the time anymore?

All the other time-based events won't work for 24 hours, that might include time-based evolutions. Worst case, you have to wait a couple days to cycle through it all.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
I've got about twenty minutes till 6 if you want me to evolve him for you in a copy of sun. Otherwise you can evolve him at the "correct" time in the reverse world.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Time based evolutions don't care about clock changes, do it as much as you want.

Alloran
Dec 30, 2014

I think this line is mostly filler.

Kurieg posted:

I've got about twenty minutes till 6 if you want me to evolve him for you in a copy of sun. Otherwise you can evolve him at the "correct" time in the reverse world.

I thank you, but he's still some levels off from evolving. Just wanted to make sure when the time comes!

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
So it turns out that Shelmet is basically a real animal.

Seriously, the Scaly Foot Gastropod is the coolest thing I've seen all day, it's this magnetic iron snail that lives in deep sea vents.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Strange Quark posted:

Scaling levels for gyms doesn’t really work because if you’re overleveled, you’re probably intentionally grinding because you’re bad at the game or whatever. Scaling levels then means the game never will get easier for you if you try putting more time into it. The only scenario where you get an overleveled Pokemon quickly is going to be a trade, which is also balanced for.

Make it so that you can challenge the gyms in any order, and then have their levels, moveset, and pokemon available based on the number of badges you have.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

What about for everything else outside of gyms?

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Alxprit posted:

What about for everything else outside of gyms?

You can do it in a couple of ways, but you could also just tie it to the number of badges you have. It really depends on how the map is laid out and whether you want to do an Elder Scrolls esque 'locking in' of levels once you reach certain routes.

Main routes could be tied to your badge count while optional 'off the beaten path' routes could be locked in a certain levels, with the difficulty depending on how close they are to the starting town.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
It makes no thematic sense why wild Pokemon would be stronger just because you have more badges though.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

I don’t think these games need scaling in all seriousness because these are first and foremost kids games and pokemon is super flexible so you can make the game as hard as you want (see: nuzlockes)

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Strange Quark posted:

It makes no thematic sense why wild Pokemon would be stronger just because you have more badges though.

It makes no thematic sense why all the strong pokemon are on one route and not another. Each route should really have a mix of level 2 babies and level 40 fearows

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

ROFL Octopus posted:

I don’t think these games need scaling in all seriousness because these are first and foremost kids games and pokemon is super flexible so you can make the game as hard as you want (see: nuzlockes)

It's not difficulty that I'm looking for. Scaling is necessary because I want something more open that gives me a larger selection of pokemon to choose from for a playthrough. I'm sick of just trading crap in from other games just because I've never used X before and it's not available until the postgame.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Borsche69 posted:

It makes no thematic sense why all the strong pokemon are on one route and not another. Each route should really have a mix of level 2 babies and level 40 fearows

It’s like competitive evolution. One random Pokemon gets stronger so all the others have to also get stronger to compete at the same level.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Strange Quark posted:

When you have few badges, strong wild pokemon can sense you are weak, and contemptuously ignore you, but perhaps you're an appropriate challenge for the weak babies.

When you have many, strong wild pokemon can sense you are strong, and they want to challenge themselves against your strength.

The badges themselves just mean your power is acknowledged by humans.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Borsche69 posted:

Make it so that you can challenge the gyms in any order, and then have their levels, moveset, and pokemon available based on the number of badges you have.

>GYM LEADER CLAIR sent out DRATINI
>DRATINI used GROWL

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Open world games own and Pokemon owns but an open world Pokemon would not own

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The ability to make long-term strategic decisions about where to go next would own if the experience were as smooth as a linear progression in any order. However, there doesn't seem to be a good way to ensure that will happen.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

I'm giving up on shiny poipole in exchange for actually completing my pokedex and stuff. I'm still going to try for a shiny nihilego though.

EDIT: Or rather, I'm going to give up on it if I don't get it within my next two sessions of trying.

PetraCore fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Dec 19, 2017

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

PetraCore posted:

I'm giving up on shiny poipole in exchange for actually completing my pokedex and stuff. I'm still going to try for a shiny nihilego though.

EDIT: Or rather, I'm going to give up on it if I don't get it within my next two sessions of trying.

Don’t give up! Having a massive bee-dragon raining meteors on its opponents is something you’ll be able to enjoy for the rest of your life!

Abundant Atrophy
Nov 3, 2012

PetraCore posted:

Were you doing this without the shiny charm?

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

I don't think the shiny charm works on gifted mons

OmniBeer
Jun 5, 2011

This is no time to
remain stagnant!
I'm curious, since I just got access to the Surfing Pikachu after having raised a Pichu from the beginning:

Which do people tend to prefer, having Nasty Plot or having Surf on their Alolan Raichu? Since they seem to be mutually exclusive. I'm leaning towards the Surf version for novelty and coverage, and since I don't really do competitive stuff it super doesn't matter, but I'm mostly curious if there's an obviously superior choice.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

OmniBeer posted:

I'm curious, since I just got access to the Surfing Pikachu after having raised a Pichu from the beginning:

Which do people tend to prefer, having Nasty Plot or having Surf on their Alolan Raichu? Since they seem to be mutually exclusive. I'm leaning towards the Surf version for novelty and coverage, and since I don't really do competitive stuff it super doesn't matter, but I'm mostly curious if there's an obviously superior choice.

Nasty Plot is way more useful.

Martian Manfucker
Dec 27, 2012

misandry is real
I can't decide the rest of the cool friends I wanna put on my team. So far I have Mawile, Heracross, and Malamar. What are some other cool friends I can find and breed into super soldiers in Alola?

Abundant Atrophy
Nov 3, 2012

Scholtz posted:

I don't think the shiny charm works on gifted mons

Oh, I have learned something terrible.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

cheetah7071 posted:

Open world games own and Pokemon owns but an open world Pokemon would not own

making an open world in the mainline series wouldn't work well but a spinoff that has more freedom with the mechanics could be cool

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
I'd just like to clarify that my personal suggestion to make the levels scale wasn't about making it open world or challenging the gyms in whatever order. you'd still do everything in a predetermined order, and wild pokemon would always be at whatever level their designated area is supposed to be at, but trainer encounters (especially gyms and villain battles) would be scaled to the level of your pokemon, so overleveling wasn't an issue. it should at least be an optional feature ("hard" mode)

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

ROFL Octopus posted:

Don’t give up! Having a massive bee-dragon raining meteors on its opponents is something you’ll be able to enjoy for the rest of your life!
I guess... I can just finish the rest of the pokedex and then really go at it. I do enjoy the classic wasp colors.

I've been breeding weather sos pokemon to trade for version exclusives and trade evos on GTS and that's working out pretty well. I'm very close to finishing the pokedex!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Apparently Gladion challenges the elite four a month after you become champion in USUM, unlocking a new scene in Aether Paradise