Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

crazypenguin posted:

has it been so long since you've used svn that you've forgotten what it was like?

I think for the 5 years I used svn, there was not one single instance of branching/merging working. I'm not talking about merge conflicts. I mean what svn called merge conflicts, but were just svn being svn.

one time I had reason to branch off a branch, and I think it opened up a portal to hell

you are probably right to be fair, i dont remember already

but it h elped that our workflow was bad

we didnt feature branch in svn we just had like a john smith branch, a valeyard branch etc and then merge individual commits into trunk and then into release branches

it was pretty simple

hardest part was keeping your branch up to date with trunk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

im trying to build an r shiny server image in r and its a loving hell

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
oculus go is about as good as normal oculus
it's at a noncrazyperson price point tho

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
when i last used svn i ended up just manually managing sequences of patch files rather than using svn branches and i think part of why i got git right away is that it's really good at doing a better version of that sort of workflow

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man
I could see having issues with git if you don’t use magit but then again you have no excuse for not using magit and the superior code writing program emacs

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

yah use some gui like sourcetree or magit. don't touch the awful cli.

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

comedyblissoption posted:

yah use some gui like sourcetree or magit. don't touch the awful cli.

this is the opposite mindset from my work

"using sourcetree you scrub? use the CLI, its more POWERFUL"

(i do actually use the CLI though, sourcetree became too annoying to use eventually)

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

svn is terrible and the only interface is tortoisesvn which is also terrible

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

when I used sourcetree I used it for most things and the cli for things it didn't cover well

magit seems superior from what little I've used of it so far

the lovely thing about the cli is you gotta memorize a bunch of unintuitive bullshit (e.g. how do you delete a remote branch). the cli provides poor feedback about recent logs, what actions you can take, what is staged, and what is unstaged. you probably have to make a shitload of aliases to get it into a use-able state. magit and sourcetree are a lot better in this regard.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
lol if you need any sort of ui beyond tig

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

CC LIMERICK CONTEST GRAND CHAMPION
There once was a poster named Troof
Who was getting quite long in the toof
ive grown accustomed to using git cli but vscode's integration is starting to be v useful

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
guys, literally nobody is asking you to memorize anything about git except maybe add, commit, pull and push

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
and checkout I GUESS if you want to get fancy

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Corla Plankun posted:

and checkout I GUESS if you want to get fancy

i think that gets you to a minimal set? otherwise how do you make a branch

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

CC LIMERICK CONTEST GRAND CHAMPION
There once was a poster named Troof
Who was getting quite long in the toof
every attempt to define a simple subset of git that should be all you'll ever need turns out to be the lip of a rabbithole

i guess it's still worth trying just to help newbies get started, but if you use it long enough you'll eventually have to dip your toe in the madness

still better than the alternatives tho

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

JawnV6 posted:

i think that gets you to a minimal set? otherwise how do you make a branch

you do this remotealy on the bitbucket website, using the one true git

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

cinci zoo sniper posted:

im trying to build an r shiny server image in r and its a loving hell

current twenty one minutes to four o'clock in the morning terrible programmer status: i just sighed, took a massive poo poo at all my coworker did with this r garbage gently caress deployment, copied random rear end git repo and made a symlink between existing folder and loving garbage rear end container, may it choke on its own piss together with every person involved in the r, docker, and whatever is the thing you hate, dear reader

but i mean its working and i warned everyone i aint happy touching this, so you get what you paid for.

in case someone here is more docker-savvy than i am (basically means uve heard of it), ill gladly take tips on how i should do it so that my script inside docker could call a database located on the same machine that runs docker system (since afaik localhost inside docker will be the hyperlocalhost not "localhost")

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

thank you, 11 watcher, 81 star, and 67 fork github repository with debian-testing bleeding edge r-build and my least favourite line of the night,

code:
RUN apt-get install -y -t unstable sudo

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
has anyone ever actually got a job by responding to the recruiters on linked in?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Sapozhnik posted:

gitlab is open sores github

it seems ok but the deployment process is just a big pile of what the gently caress. it's written in a mix of three languages and there are two canonical ways to deploy it:

1. docker lol
2. git clone their repository and then create some gitignored config files right there in that checkout

also it expects to be launched from sysvinit in tyool almost 2018 so you can bet the authors have Systemd Opinions

What in the gently caress are you talking about? They literally have a centos repo. Add it and yum install it. Done.

They even include a selinux policy file in the rpm. You have no loving clue what you are talking about.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Valeyard posted:

has anyone ever actually got a job by responding to the recruiters on linked in?

no but that's because i failed the on-site interviews. mind you those were in-house recruiters; i imagine the 'hello sir and/or madam i liked your profile and please add me' aren't exactly as fruitful

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Bloody posted:

tortoisesvn which is also terrible

counterpoint: it's fine

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

redleader posted:

counterpoint: it's fine

literally nothing about tortoise is fine

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Tortoise regularly caused cycles in svns commit graph rendering whatever I had checked out completely hosed when I tried to merge with trunk.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

ratbert90 posted:

What in the gently caress are you talking about? They literally have a centos repo. Add it and yum install it. Done.

They even include a selinux policy file in the rpm. You have no loving clue what you are talking about.

this thing is what they call an "omnibus package". It packs in its own self-contained universe of bullshit independent of the nginx, postgres, redis, and language runtimes provided by the distribution itself, then shoves them all into a directory in /opt. so, functionally the same thing as docker except without the namespacing.

i hope you have learned something today :)

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Valeyard posted:

this is the opposite mindset from my work

"using sourcetree you scrub? use the CLI, its more POWERFUL"

that's just because the git cli blows

the hg cli actually is more powerful, and not covered in pointy sticky things

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
my favorite git thing is that if you go to amend a commit and you suddenly change your mind then you have to erase the entire commit message in the editor

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

ratbert90 posted:

sounds like you have opinions about computers. this was your first mistake.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
since this is share your git workflow time: vscode for merging, cli for most other stuff. also gitup seems good on the mac. not sure what to use on windows to render the graph any more.

i recently had to admit that sourcetree is a slow piece of poo poo and cut it out of my life.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Sapozhnik posted:

this thing is what they call an "omnibus package". It packs in its own self-contained universe of bullshit independent of the nginx, postgres, redis, and language runtimes provided by the distribution itself, then shoves them all into a directory in /opt. so, functionally the same thing as docker except without the namespacing.

We ship an on prem app at work and let me tell you: gently caress letting users use whatever clown garbage version of the database/runtime/etc they want. We did that on a legacy product and never again. Use the version we provide or nothing

We ship an OVA tho, rather than installing packages, so we can also control the firewall and make sure only the UI is accessible externally

Arcsech fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Dec 19, 2017

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Users don't get to install whatever clown garbage version of the database/runtime/etc they want. They install Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7 and they install the one and only one supported version that ships with that operating system. If those are not recent enough for your application then they can install supplemental supported versions from Red Hat Software Collections.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

JawnV6 posted:

my afternoon started with an innocent question about stack sizes, this has horrifically led to a meeting being scheduled 2 days out

oooo, this is always exciting

these sorts of things are always so much more complicated than you expect

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Valeyard posted:

yes, my last job was that for me

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Valeyard posted:

i got plenty of interviews that way yeah

i got my current job via twitter :shrug:

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Sapozhnik posted:

my favorite git thing is that if you go to amend a commit and you suddenly change your mind then you have to erase the entire commit message in the editor

....no. just quit without saving changes. (:q in vi, C-x k in emacsclient)

not even git is THAT stupid.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Arcsech posted:

We ship an on prem app at work and let me tell you: gently caress letting users use whatever clown garbage version of the database/runtime/etc they want. We did that on a legacy product and never again. Use the version we provide or nothing

We ship an OVA tho, rather than installing packages, so we can also control the firewall and make sure only the UI is accessible externally
it sounds like your product doesn't support contemporary versions of the databases/runtimes/etc that your customers could find in the redhat or centos repositories for their operation system

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

c tp s: i've booted into centos vm to set up docker locally because it has some snowflake networking modes on windows and my target machine is centos too

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

git is one of those tools i just struggle to feel comfortable with no matter how long i use it. i never stop feeling like i'm ignorantly stumbling around

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

Valeyard posted:

my theory on this is that companies are willing to pay up to 1 or 2 salaries commission for a successful recruit. as such, anyone can call himself a recruiter and just mass contact people on linkedin until they hit the jackpot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Sapozhnik posted:

This isn't a bad thing. Your git server should be in a separate VM/container anyways.

FlapYoJacks fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Dec 19, 2017

• Locked thread