Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
Werp, sounds like I finally have an excuse to try the Orca.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Blind Rasputin posted:

I prefer the emulator on my PC that lets me control elite dangerous via my switch controllers. It is a little hard to land with the tilt controls but I would never use a HOTAS.

I’m using tilt controls!

IcePheenix
Mar 4, 2008

osirisisdead posted:

In CQC Deathmatch Now

edit: I got wafflestomped, but learned ~~unlocked~~ a lot.

How long did you sit in queue before you actually got a match? The last half dozen times I've tried I gave up after like five minutes of searching.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
I haven't played since a few months after launch and am thinking about installing this again when I take a months leave at the end of the week. I am pretty sure cargo hauling broke my brain and I'm sure I had most of my money sunk into a type 9. What should I know what and should I do if I buy the expansion and get back in?

edit: Also I bought this off the site originally is there a way to put it on my steam account?

Raged fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Dec 17, 2017

Voyeur
Dec 5, 2000
I like to watch.

Raged posted:

edit: Also I bought this off the site originally is there a way to put it on my steam account?

Log in to your account on https://www.frontierstore.net/ then go to the Partner Keys page; there should be a code to unlock the Steam version, or you might have to request it, I don't remember. That's where you get it though.

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

IcePheenix posted:

How long did you sit in queue before you actually got a match? The last half dozen times I've tried I gave up after like five minutes of searching.

Yeah, I've been there. Elite requires metagame organization at this stage. I threw down an invite because I knew anyone monitoring this thread would know what they were doing. I was in queue for less than a minute and I played FFA Deathmatch for about an hour.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

They should just make the arena mode F2P instead of charging 3.99 or whatever bullshit for it.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

tooterfish posted:

They should just make the arena mode F2P instead of charging 3.99 or whatever bullshit for it.
They don't sell it anymore. At all.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

IcePheenix posted:

The proven method to getting a match in CQC:

1- Use the discord server. It has people that absolutely love to play. You can announce that you want to start a match, or see if one is currently going on. There's also a neat effect where once you get a decent amount of people playing, even more people join in for fun. I've played for several hours in a row before, with no wait for matches. https://discord.me/elitedangerouscqc

2- Try to play during 5pm-7pm London time. This part sucks if you are like me in the US, but you'll have the most luck getting a match around that time. It is possible to get matches at different times of the day, but you'll absolutely want to try to set it up on discord first or else you'll just be waiting in the lobby forever.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
From Galnet:

quote:

The Alliance has commissioned Lakon Spaceways to produce a new ship in response to the recent Thargoid attacks in the Pleiades. The vessel, which has been named the Type-10 Defender, represents a comprehensive revision of the Type–9 Heavy.

Lakon issued the following statement:

“The Type-10 boasts greater speed, acceleration and manoeuvrability than the Type-9, and also offers a more focused hardpoint loadout. We envisage it being particularly effective in combat situations.”

The development is significant in that it represents the first overtly military response from the Alliance to the rising Thargoid threat.

Lakon has committed to an aggressive production schedule that should see the Type-10 reaching retailers next week.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

quote:

The Type-10 boasts greater speed, acceleration and manoeuvrability than the Type-9
And the award for world's tallest dwarf goes to...

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Dwesa posted:

They don't sell it anymore. At all.
Heh, figures.

Should've been F2P from the start then. Honestly, the fun flight model is a pretty great hook for this game (it's the polish on the turd of the MMO parts). They'd probably make the money back selling fighter skins anyway.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug

tooterfish posted:

Heh, figures.

Should've been F2P from the start then. Honestly, the fun flight model is a pretty great hook for this game (it's the polish on the turd of the MMO parts). They'd probably make the money back selling fighter skins anyway.

I think the order of events was:
-released as a game mode, accessible only through the main game
-released as a standalone game as well, for :10bux:
-standalone went on sale
-standalone made FTP
-standalone abandoned and taken from stores
-made accessible only through the main game

The funny and tragic part is that all of that happened in just a few months. They didn't even give it a chance to succeed.

Edit: even worse is that it has been apparently abandoned (or at least put in cold storage) from the main game as well. During the livestream a few days ago, Sandro answered a few questions for the audience. One of them was about updates to CQC and he laughed it off that anyone was even asking about it and admitted he didn't know about any future updates.

Mike the TV fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Dec 17, 2017

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
There's deathmatch CQC going on right now if anyone's interested.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

How does one get the anti-thargoid weapons? Are they on sale everywhere, or do they take some sort of engineering? I want to take all my rescue mission cash and go shoot aliens with the type 10 next week.

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
On sale at the planetary base in Merope.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Blind Rasputin posted:

How does one get the anti-thargoid weapons? Are they on sale everywhere, or do they take some sort of engineering? I want to take all my rescue mission cash and go shoot aliens with the type 10 next week.

Jameson Memorial

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
Are the rescue missions still going?

Also, any chance of a type 9 running the mission if it's still up?

Raged fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Dec 18, 2017

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

I’ve been using a type 7 and I’m getting a mil or more per run, which take all of 5minutes to do. Yeah they are still going strong. People are using cutters and anacondas so I’m sure a type 9 would be ok. Watch for debris though, you really don’t have much time to dock due to the extreme heat and there’s been a few times where I’ve hit debris or been hit with an explosion that’s sent me bouncing around and the resulting damage is quite high, even with heat sinks. Playing in open is actually fun too because there is such a large community presence. People form cues for the large landing pads and there’s usually someone in an anaconda or federal corvette parked near the station or the line acting like security. I’ve only seen one griefer and he got unloaded on by the rescue ship and people near by.

It is really a rad thing they’ve done.

So is there a new station in 63 G capricorni to check out after the community goal completed? What does it do?

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
I brought my Anaconda and just stuck to solo mode to avoid the congestion at the rescue ship. A Python can land on mediums and has a decent cargo capacity, would make a decent choice for this mission in open mode.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

I’d recommend fitting at least a cargo rack on your rescue ship because for some reason the missions are still giving out engineering commodity rewards.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug
I made a feature request on the official forum for the first time. Feel free to add your feedback: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/395647-Alternate-rescue-operation-scenarios

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

INTJ Mastermind posted:

I brought my Anaconda and just stuck to solo mode to avoid the congestion at the rescue ship. A Python can land on mediums and has a decent cargo capacity, would make a decent choice for this mission in open mode.
Cabins only go up to class 6, so anything with slots class 7 and above end up wasting a lot of space.

A Python can fit 140 economy passengers, with a shield and a 4t cargo rack for when you accidentally take a mission with a cargo reward (which you'll do all the time because the station's UI glitches out constantly due to the damage). To put that into context a Type 9 with shield and small cargo rack can fit ~120, a Beluga ~148, an Anaconda ~160m and a Cutter ~168.

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
Shark with laser beams. It's a power play mule that kicks. aisling waifu is best waifu but really it's because I want the prismatic shields

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

tooterfish posted:

Cabins only go up to class 6, so anything with slots class 7 and above end up wasting a lot of space.

A Python can fit 140 economy passengers, with a shield and a 4t cargo rack for when you accidentally take a mission with a cargo reward (which you'll do all the time because the station's UI glitches out constantly due to the damage). To put that into context a Type 9 with shield and small cargo rack can fit ~120, a Beluga ~148, an Anaconda ~160m and a Cutter ~168.

I wanted to say I was surprised by how the difference between the capacity of the Python and the capacity of the Beluga was so small.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

I wanted to say I was surprised by how the difference between the capacity of the Python and the capacity of the Beluga was so small.

Wasn't the thing about the passenger ships (Dolphin, Orca and Beluga) that they can outfit luxury cabins, which are one step above the first class cabins every other ship can equip?

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

The Beluga has use one of its class 6 slots for shields, so that screws it a bit. The Python can fit class 3.

So a shieldless Beluga could cram another 32 in. Probably not a good idea for the rescue missions though.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Ive succumbed to space madness again, I'm already 5k ly away from the bubble and rapidly moving away :D

https://imgur.com/a/P0uSr

This album will continue to grow as I move further outwards, the eventual goal is to join the 65,000 LY club by reaching Beagle Point. I'm already 6500 LY from 63 G. Capricorni. as of the time of finishing this post. I moved 1500 light years while setting up the album link.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Dec 19, 2017

Dolemite
Jun 30, 2005
Has anyone had any success using an Asp Explorer as a bounty hunter/fighter/pirate/assassination murdering ship? I bought a Python for murdering, but man is it a slow ship. Slow to turn, only boosts to ~320m/s. My engineered Asp hits well over 400m/s, turns on a dime and the 40LY jump range is kinda nice.

With engineered weapons, can the Asp Explorer be a good combat ship, given its small hard points and all?

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

-MOST AMMUNITION EXPENDED ON CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT
-WORST KDR VS CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT

Dolemite posted:

Has anyone had any success using an Asp Explorer as a bounty hunter/fighter/pirate/assassination murdering ship? I bought a Python for murdering, but man is it a slow ship. Slow to turn, only boosts to ~320m/s. My engineered Asp hits well over 400m/s, turns on a dime and the 40LY jump range is kinda nice.

With engineered weapons, can the Asp Explorer be a good combat ship, given its small hard points and all?

Good? Good enough for mission running and light bounty hunting, sure. And it's pretty fun. Probably not good enough for heavy duty warfighting or spending hours in a hazres. I have an engineered Asp Explorer I keep around for running missions and exploring but I mostly avoid unnecessary combat in it.

I guess it also depends on your combat rank since iirc having a higher combat rank makes enemies in bigger ships spawn.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
Fans some rescue missions last night and they were neat. Just wish I could dump all the passengers at once. Surprised I did not wreck my type 9 one my first few flight back in the game.

What are some of the good commodity tools out there now? Really want to get up to 20m credits an hour to finish off my anaconda savings fund. If there is anything else that I could do in a 9 that will boost my earnings let me know.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Man, honestly I’ve tried python, FDL, Anaconda, asp, the best ship for sitting in a site and murdering ships is still the Vulture. It’s nearly untouchable and is a speed demon murder boat.

Also that glorious engine sound.

edit: A good use of the vulture

http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/MeatBishop/video/41111234

Blind Rasputin fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Dec 19, 2017

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Is there a timelimit on picking up the (goon) community goal rewards? I assumed that i would "get it in the mail" so i set out into the great empty to explore and didn't plan on going back to the bubble for a good while.

Kramjacks
Jul 5, 2007

Dongattack posted:

Is there a timelimit on picking up the (goon) community goal rewards? I assumed that i would "get it in the mail" so i set out into the great empty to explore and didn't plan on going back to the bubble for a good while.

If you mean the cash reward, you need to turn in the mission at the station like any other completed mission. If you mean the decal,

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Kramjacks posted:

If you mean the cash reward, you need to turn in the mission at the station like any other completed mission. If you mean the decal,

Yes, i meant do i have a timelimit on turning it in? I went several days travel away from that station.

Kramjacks
Jul 5, 2007

Dongattack posted:

Yes, i meant do i have a timelimit on turning it in? I went several days travel away from that station.

No there's no time limit.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

Kramjacks posted:

No there's no time limit.

I think if you don't pick it up in two weeks, it's automatically credited to you nowadays.

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

Dolemite posted:

Shark boosts to 420 m/s.

Idk what you did wrong but

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Dongattack posted:

If you wait so long that they push a big patch I think it auto cashes you out no matter where you are and gives you the credits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

I played in open for a change and the game lags horribly despite having good net, it crashed twice despite never crashing in solo, and then I proceeded to get grief rammed to death while people occupied all the landing pads. All in about an hour and 20 minutes.

Elite is a good single player game.

Anime Store Adventure fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Dec 19, 2017

• Locked thread