Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Rhyno posted:

I thought the whole film got poo poo canned! I'm happy to have misunderstood. But she IS incredible and I adored her in Baby Driver and the shockingly watchable From DUsk til Dawn series.

It currently has no director again but has not been cancelled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
Justice Leauge Dark is a terrible title.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

In case you're wondering JL had a 4.1 million weekend 5, putting it just below 220 million domestic, which it will hit sometime this week (possibly tomorrow). Look to JL bowing somewhere between 220 to 230 million total domestic.

good day for a bris
Feb 4, 2006

No, I don't want to play "Conversation Parade".

JT Smiley posted:

I’m figuring with justice league bombing as bad as it did, maybe they can try a different naming scheme to avoid comparisons

JT Smiley posted:

What about Dark Universe?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Lick! The! Whisk! posted:

In case you're wondering JL had a 4.1 million weekend 5, putting it just below 220 million domestic, which it will hit sometime this week (possibly tomorrow). Look to JL bowing somewhere between 220 to 230 million total domestic.

The Last Jedi made $220 million domestic opening weekend. Fuckin' WB. :rip:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Won't Last Jedi be enormously frontloaded, though? (Disclaimer: as I've said before, I think the numbers are very interesting but I don't really understand how they work.)

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
More like Justice League Dork.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Wheat Loaf posted:

Won't Last Jedi be enormously frontloaded, though? (Disclaimer: as I've said before, I think the numbers are very interesting but I don't really understand how they work.)

Any movie that makes that much opening weekend is going to be more frontloaded. But the film has an A Cinemascore which means it should have good legs. Justice League had a B+, which sounds good but for a big blockbuster isn't. That's the same Cinemascore hits like Superman Returns, Amazing Spider-Man 2, Spider-Man 3, and the Oscar winning Suicide Squad got.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

twistedmentat posted:

I just realized that now they can do a proper Rogue storyline because they could have her drain Carol's powers.

Maybe that could explain where Carol's disappeared to since the 90's. She got her powers drained out of her.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

X-O posted:

Any movie that makes that much opening weekend is going to be more frontloaded. But the film has an A Cinemascore which means it should have good legs. Justice League had a B+, which sounds good but for a big blockbuster isn't. That's the same Cinemascore hits like Superman Returns, Amazing Spider-Man 2, Spider-Man 3, and the Oscar winning Suicide Squad got.

Sure, but the audience score they have on Rotten Tomatoes (granted, perhaps less indicative then I may assume) seems to indicate that it has been divisive (as I've said elsewhere, I really liked The Last Jedi a lot, but I see how it would divide audiences) and couldn't that contribute to issues in relation to its word of mouth?

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Give me the secret to the anti-puppet equation!

Wheat Loaf posted:

Sure, but the audience score they have on Rotten Tomatoes (granted, perhaps less indicative then I may assume) seems to indicate that it has been divisive (as I've said elsewhere, I really liked The Last Jedi a lot, but I see how it would divide audiences) and couldn't that contribute to issues in relation to its word of mouth?

At least some of that seems to be bots. I saw some screenshots of The Shape of Water's page that had a bunch of 1 star reviews for Last Jedi from first time reviewers.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

X-O posted:

Yeah the Cinemascore scale is poo poo. B- is a death sentence.

Wheat Loaf posted:

Only nerds and scripts submit user ratings.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Movies that get a Cinema
score of F tend to be pretty interesting

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Well, in any event, I feel like Star Wars is going to end up at number two for the year. I'm not sure if it will make it to number one. I think Beauty and the Beast will be there when the final tally comes in. :shrug:

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Wheat Loaf posted:

Well, in any event, I feel like Star Wars is going to end up at number two for the year. I'm not sure if it will make it to number one. I think Beauty and the Beast will be there when the final tally comes in. :shrug:

It's possible, but it had the 2nd biggest opening ever behind Force Awakens so I'm thinking it'll come in closer to TFA's 2b rather than the 1.2b that Beauty and the Beast wound up with. It hasn't opened in China yet, though China doesn't seem to care about Star Wars admittedly.

I would be very willing to take that bet, even with the audience score/critics score discrepancies on Rotten Tomatoes. I think this will be a good test of how much stock people put in that number, honestly.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I think it's entirely possible that it could come in at number three behind Fast and the Furious, frankly.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Wheat Loaf posted:

1.2 billion? Jesus, that's a lot of money for such a piece of poo poo.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Aphrodite posted:

1.2 billion? Jesus, that's a lot of money for such a piece of poo poo.

Do you mean Star Wars or Beauty and the Beast? :v:

Edit: If you're talking about Beauty and the Beast, I didn't see it but most of what I saw about it made it look visually impressive but otherwise like it was a just a live-action adaptation of the 1991 movie, which doesn't seem terribly interesting to me.

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Dec 18, 2017

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Star Wars makes more money than most small countries do so I don't know why anybody is trying to pretend they're not going to be the top earner every year now that they're making star wars every year.

Maybe every other year since they're only dropping numbered sequels every other Christmas, I guess

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Wheat Loaf posted:

Do you mean Star Wars or Beauty and the Beast? :v:

Edit: If you're talking about Beauty and the Beast, I didn't see it but most of what I saw about it made it look visually impressive but otherwise like it was a just a live-action adaptation of the 1991 movie, which doesn't seem terribly interesting to me.

Emma Watson is less human than the CGI furniture.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Remember when Bill Condon's remake of Bride of Frankenstein was going to save the Dark Universe?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

purple death ray posted:

Star Wars makes more money than most small countries do so I don't know why anybody is trying to pretend they're not going to be the top earner every year now that they're making star wars every year.

Maybe every other year since they're only dropping numbered sequels every other Christmas, I guess

People think the user review botting on RT and Metacritic are a sign of something.

And while granted the type of sad idiots to do that probably are the same who'd see a movie multiple times, that's probably still not a significant audience.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Wheat Loaf posted:

Remember when Bill Condon's remake of Bride of Frankenstein was going to save the Dark Universe?
I’m wondering if there was a single person anywhere who believed that

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Wait is Beauty and the Beast currently the #1 earner for 2017?

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

irlZaphod posted:

Wait is Beauty and the Beast currently the #1 earner for 2017?

Yep, followed by Fate of the Furious, Despicable Me 3, Spider-Man Homecoming, and Wolf Warrior 2. It feels like a weird list, honestly.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

What the hell is Wolf Warrior 2?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The top 10 list is here on Wikipedia.

Edit: That's in world terms. In America, the ranking is slightly different: list at bottom of this page.

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Dec 18, 2017

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

A fake movie China made to launder money.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Looking at that list, I just remembered that Hidden Figures, a biopic about African-American women who worked as mathematicians at NASA who have been unjustly ignored by history for their contributions to the space programme, won the Saturn Award for "Best Action/Adventure Film".

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Wheat Loaf posted:

Looking at that list, I just remembered that Hidden Figures, a biopic about African-American women who worked as mathematicians at NASA who have been unjustly ignored by history for their contributions to the space programme, won the Saturn Award for "Best Action/Adventure Film".
Haven't we just been through this with Get Out at the Golden Globes? Or do the Saturn Awards themselves choose the categories to place films in?

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Endless Mike posted:

China has discovered the jingoistic Cannon films of the 80's and figured out they'd work well for a demo that craves spectacle over substance.

Aphrodite posted:

A fake movie China made to launder money.

Also this, much like Cannon films.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

purple death ray posted:

Yeah I don’t think a Han Solo without the actual Han Solo is beating Infinity War in 2018.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Endless Mike posted:

Wolf Warrior 1 is on Netflix and I'm sure the sequel is pretty much more of the same.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

X-O posted:

Yeah I don’t think a Han Solo without the actual Han Solo is beating Infinity War in 2018.

People willingly went to the prequels so if it has Star Wars in the name, it will make bank.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Wheat Loaf posted:

Admittedly I was down to see it anyway, but it sounds like if anyone would be able to, it was that combo. I have no idea what he meant when he said he wanted to make "a modern James Whale movie" but he directed a movie about James Whale so I'd hope he'd understand how to do so. Plus Javier Bardem was supposed to play the monster, and frank(enstein)ly, it seemed like the perfect choice.

I'm actually real disappointed about the Dark Universe, I'd love a good horror cinematic universe.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

X-O posted:

Rogue One came second to Civil War in the end.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
Because Rogue One was a pretty good movie and definitely one of the best Star Wars films. It also told a really interesting story that people actually wanted to hear about. I don't know anyone l, including super fans, who wants to see Young Han Solo adventures. It's just not an interesting concept.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I was interested in Solo when it was a Lord & Miller movie. Not so much as a Ron Howard film.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Rough Lobster posted:

Because Rogue One was a pretty good movie and definitely one of the best Star Wars films. It also told a really interesting story that people actually wanted to hear about. I don't know anyone l, including super fans, who wants to see Young Han Solo adventures. It's just not an interesting concept.
Hi, space heist with a smarmy smuggler is way more interesting to me than Rogue One's basic concept.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Endless Mike posted:

Hi, space heist with a smarmy smuggler is way more interesting to me than Rogue One's basic concept.

Space Ventura: Fett Detective, much like it’s Jim Carey based prequel, would have been a terrible movie.

• Locked thread