Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession
Julie was great as always, the Wurster call was good, and there's a good story in the first call with a really funny punchline (the caller takes a while to get to it)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

They're changing the Half Hour of Power release schedule.

Probably for the best. I imagine certain sorts of people get antsy if they don't feel they're getting enough "exclusive" stuff from donating.

Best Show Patreon posted:

From now on, the Half Hour Of Power is gonna be exclusive to Patreon for two weeks, then it goes up on the feed for everyone to hear. If you want to hear it first, keep supporting The Best Show Patreon!

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
I get why they're making the change, but I wish more artists would accept 'pure' patronage from Patreon. I don't like seeing artists feeling obligated to produce extra content or paywall previously free content. I just want to chip in money for quality content that I'm already enjoying.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

The only 2 patreon subscriptions I have are to podcasts with exclusive episodes. I would subscribe to the best show patreon if and only if they paywalled episodes.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

Know Such Peace posted:

I get why they're making the change, but I wish more artists would accept 'pure' patronage from Patreon. I don't like seeing artists feeling obligated to produce extra content or paywall previously free content. I just want to chip in money for quality content that I'm already enjoying.

I don't get this mentality. Nothing is changing on your end, you are still supporting the show. Nothing big is changing on their end, they aren't "selling out" they're just using a tried and true method to get money from people who either are fine freeloading or are just disconnected from the show by the nature of it being a downloadable podcast. More podcasters should monetize their patreons better because I want to see them making money for the good content they release mostly free. People are forgetful and lazy by nature and just having a podcast automatically download onto your phone creates a disconnect. If tom rang up listeners and asked for 5 dollars to keep the show going I think most people wouldnt hesistate chipping in.

inferis posted:

The only 2 patreon subscriptions I have are to podcasts with exclusive episodes. I would subscribe to the best show patreon if and only if they paywalled episodes.

This is exactly why it's a good idea. A lot of people like this are out there. Not saying it's a bad thing it's just a fact. Chasing "purity" while pissing away 75% of what you could be earning on your show is just foolishness. I always thought a good compromise would be tom simply recreating a two week long listener pledge drive like he did at WFMU. It would be organic, give people a reason to pledge and call, and probably raise a bunch of money. I think tom's part of the drive alone used to rake in something like 250k for wfmu.

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe

Seltzer posted:

This is exactly why it's a good idea. A lot of people like this are out there. Not saying it's a bad thing it's just a fact. Chasing "purity" while pissing away 75% of what you could be earning on your show is just foolishness. I always thought a good compromise would be tom simply recreating a two week long listener pledge drive like he did at WFMU. It would be organic, give people a reason to pledge and call, and probably raise a bunch of money. I think tom's part of the drive alone used to rake in something like 250k for wfmu.

The Patreon is currently at $280k/year though. I wonder how the number of people donating compares to the WFMU days - the Patreon is at 2,837 so right around $100/year per person.

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
Bonus content fragments the audience. It’s already easy enough to skip out on the main show, but I really don’t know how many people will discuss the paywalled Half Hour of Power episodes now.

It makes much more sense from a normal business perspective to offer additional content for the money, but I view the Patreon system more like a charity. I don’t necessarily think the Doughboys or the Best Show or Chapo are worth $5+ a month, but I’ll pay for the ad-free content anyways because I feel some kinship with the creators.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

The Bunk posted:

The Patreon is currently at $280k/year though. I wonder how the number of people donating compares to the WFMU days - the Patreon is at 2,837 so right around $100/year per person.

Could you provide a link? That sounds ridiculously high.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Seltzer posted:

Could you provide a link? That sounds ridiculously high.

https://www.patreon.com/TheBestShow

$23,350 a month, holy crap. That Friends of Tom Card campaign seems to have really worked.

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

JethroMcB posted:

$23,350 a month, holy crap. That Friends of Tom Card campaign seems to have really worked.

Ya I coulda sworn last time I looked it was around $10k. Good on um.

I treat it like an NPR donation. The bonuses are nice for Best Show, but I don't need um. But I subscribe to Doughboys and Chapo exclusively for the bonus episodes, because they have a steady stream of them. Maybe I'm just more forgiving of Tom and the flaky release of Patreon stuff.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

JethroMcB posted:

It looks like it had an effect, though it looks like people are cashing out once they get the cards.

https://graphtreon.com/creator/TheBestShow

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I just had a weird best show memory. Tom has always been kind of ahead of the cusp on social media. I had never even heard of twitter until he started lampooning it for how stupid the premise was and semi ironically obsessing over how many followers he could get, as well as eventually writing his twitter novel. And similarly, I knew of Facebook, but honestly only had a vague idea of what it was. Tom would do this bit where he would read the mundane poo poo that H man posted to his timeline, set to dramatic music. I thought it was the funniest poo poo ever. I couldn't even process why someone would post boring poo poo from their lives for the public to see and the music just made it hilarious.

Now virtually everyone is the H man. I don't think it would even work as a comedy bit now, because frankly his feed was probably less boring than most of my own friend's. It's crazy to think that over sharing has become so common place, that something that seemed completely absurd a little over a decade ago is just a part of daily life now.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Just spitballin here, but has tom ever done an evangelical themed show #blessedshow ?

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

JethroMcB posted:

I don't listen anymore because I don't have time but bless him. Rather he have that money than Google or Facebook

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

vaginal facsimile posted:

I don't listen anymore because I don't have time but bless him. Rather he have that money than Google or Facebook

I really don't feel like the 3 hours helps the show. I don't know why he keeps it that long.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
A plus side to a three hour show is that they can do long-form Wurster calls that last an hour or so. A lot of times the long running time of the call is necessary for the bit.

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
Is there an official Best Show chat? I remember Tom referencing it a bunch of times during the WFMU days and callers would sometimes introduce themselves as so-and-so 'from chat,' but I'm lost. The 24/7 stream in particular would really benefit from live interaction.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Know Such Peace posted:

Is there an official Best Show chat? I remember Tom referencing it a bunch of times during the WFMU days and callers would sometimes introduce themselves as so-and-so 'from chat,' but I'm lost. The 24/7 stream in particular would really benefit from live interaction.

http://www.friendsoftom.com/forum/

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
WFMU has a live chat on the playlist page too

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
SHUT UP KAT FROM RALEIGH

SHUT

UUUUUUUUUUUUP

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.
papa john got fired.

sitting here lmaoing thinking about tom saying the words "papa john schnatter"

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
It sucks that he had the gall to do it in an off week for Best Show

Can the topic for the first show of 2018 be "Better Ingredients, Better Man: A Farewell to 'Papa' John Schantter"

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

holiday episode is always a delight that is much too long

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
I like hearing the background party get louder and sloppier as the night goes on

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
I like how bigger guests always ghost, and Tom ends up having to bring in second string players.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

That Garrison Keillor poem from the sound collage will never not disgust me.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe
Oh my am I listening to the end of Avalanche Bob?

I mean, probably not, but hey, a FOT can dream.

Koholint
Jan 1, 2010

~Neck Angels~
It took me a second but lol @ the “I hate divorce” soundbite in the collage.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Meet my Friends the Friends was played much straighter than I expected. Curious where it goes.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

i loved the ads for the 49 cent shave club lmao

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Meet My Friends The Friends With Tom Scharpling is my new favorite podcast

the ads are the best part but it's really good satire of podcasts either way

WrathOfBlade
May 30, 2011

Dudio is doing a really good job of playing it close to the vest.

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

I never set out to be weird. It was always other people who called me weird.
Can’t wait for Season 3 of Stan Dup.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
https://youtu.be/a3F_OG_T0oE

(Also, holy moly that Crashing/TJ Miller burn was utterly savage.)

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

CaptainPsyko posted:

(Also, holy moly that Crashing/TJ Miller burn was utterly savage.)

Can you point me in it's direction? I'm pretty behind.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

veni veni veni posted:

Can you point me in it's direction? I'm pretty behind.

It’s in the New Meet My Friends the Friends podcast.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

thanks

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe
This seems a little on the nose, no?

https://twitter.com/NOTSCTop10PIays/status/955301112718004224

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

I never set out to be weird. It was always other people who called me weird.
I’ve been listening to that Dr. Demento compilation and it is Extremely Good poo poo. Highly recommend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Is it weird that my first thought hearing Philly won the super bowl was "oh man there's gonna be a good Roy call this week"