Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mniot
May 22, 2003
Not the one you know

Keetron posted:

I am going to xpost this to the working in corporate thread, but my co-devs will not shut up about bitcoin and other crypto currency. How do I explain to them they are being swindled out of their money without sounding like a dick? And yes, I understand bitcoin and blockchain, that doesn't mean I like the bitcoin and other currency implementations. Hell, I understand a lot of things that I have no desire to obtain. Either way, is your workplace also a bunch of people blowing up that bubble a bit more?

In other news, two ops people got "suspended pending investigation". I work at a bank. This poo poo is bad poo poo.

I hope you're hinting that these two are related and your ops people have embezzled money to buy bitcoins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

Mniot posted:

I hope you're hinting that these two are related and your ops people have embezzled money to buy bitcoins.

I would never suggest that, or hint at them using prod systems to mine coins.
Either way, there is absolutely no information on this so all hints and suggestions, if I would make them at all, are fabrications of my or other's imagination. There is of course the other strange coincidence that one was about to go abroad for a while for some vague reason.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Carbon dioxide posted:

My job kinda encourages drinking beer. Everyone got a big box of beer for christmas.
This is cool if it's something that had been discussed with everyone beforehand, but this is the kind of thing that gets into weird ADA territory if anyone at the company is a recovering alcoholic, or EEOC territory if anyone is from a religion that prohibits alcohol consumption (i.e. Mormonism, Islam, SIkhism)

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.

Vulture Culture posted:

This is cool if it's something that had been discussed with everyone beforehand, but this is the kind of thing that gets into weird ADA territory if anyone at the company is a recovering alcoholic, or EEOC territory if anyone is from a religion that prohibits alcohol consumption (i.e. Mormonism, Islam, SIkhism)

Or if you have underage interns, or if you have active, non-recovering alcoholics, or if you have both of those and one keeps giving beer to the other. I'm so over the culture of the beer o'clock software company.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I occasionally think back to the job I was fired from in January for being a "poor fit." It was a remote job at a mainly on-site company and I remember that I had accidentally insulted the CEO over chat by saying that having beer taps in an office was "obviously loving stupid" only to find out quickly that they had beer taps in the office.

Anyway, glad I don't work at that obviously loving stupid company anymore. The main thing I've learned in my career is to be a dick and never apologize.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

rt4 posted:

I occasionally think back to the job I was fired from in January for being a "poor fit." It was a remote job at a mainly on-site company and I remember that I had accidentally insulted the CEO over chat by saying that having beer taps in an office was "obviously loving stupid" only to find out quickly that they had beer taps in the office.

Anyway, glad I don't work at that obviously loving stupid company anymore. The main thing I've learned in my career is to be a dick and never apologize.

Every time I start working with a new person I tell them: "If my code is poo poo, tell me it's poo poo, I don't need people to sugar coat it for me. But if you do tell me it's poo poo, you better have a good reason as to why it's poo poo, and you better show me a solution to make it not poo poo."

This has worked out wonderfully for me. Others get to not worry about pissing me off, and I get to become a better developer as well.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I was wondering on this most recent Pollyanna Dilemma if the ticket just was "Remove the button" with nothing else. If they are like user stories I have seen, then I would believe it.

My one gripe in code reviews is the folks that are flabbergasted that I have not solved All The Things with my one rinkydink commit and use the code review to request new features. Such is life.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I was wondering on this most recent Pollyanna Dilemma if the ticket just was "Remove the button" with nothing else. If they are like user stories I have seen, then I would believe it.

My one gripe in code reviews is the folks that are flabbergasted that I have not solved All The Things with my one rinkydink commit and use the code review to request new features. Such is life.

I'm just gonna outsource my posts to Rocko from now on :v:

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Keetron posted:

I am going to xpost this to the working in corporate thread, but my co-devs will not shut up about bitcoin and other crypto currency. How do I explain to them they are being swindled out of their money without sounding like a dick? And yes, I understand bitcoin and blockchain, that doesn't mean I like the bitcoin and other currency implementations. Hell, I understand a lot of things that I have no desire to obtain. Either way, is your workplace also a bunch of people blowing up that bubble a bit more?

In other news, two ops people got "suspended pending investigation". I work at a bank. This poo poo is bad poo poo.

Is there a gambling addict support line in your country (Netherlands?) you could encourage these people to call? JFC

Hughlander posted:

Meanwhile at my work on of the early joiners has quit after cashing out 40% of of his holdings for high 8 digits and moved to CA.

Where did he go through to cash out that much?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Munkeymon posted:

Where did he go through to cash out that much?

I'm betting he "sold" it to an exchange that double pinky swear promises that they have more than $10,000 cash on hand and now he has a very pretty number that he could draw down from, but won't.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

Volmarias posted:

I'm betting he "sold" it to an exchange that double pinky swear promises that they have more than $10,000 cash on hand and now he has a very pretty number that he could draw down from, but won't.

Ah yes, that is the problem! This morning, like they do every morning between 7 and 8, one guy bragged that he sold for a thousand this weekend but then bought dogecoin for the money. Now he still has nothing but a counter on a website. A website that is run from the money people give it to buy bitcoins that they will keep for you while they take your money and run their services from it.

You know, how many stories are there of people who actually cashed out, that have the money in actual dollars/euro/whatever in the bank?

The biggest problem I have with bitcoin is that there is no added value to the world, just resources that are being used for reasons greed and the anonymity basically guarantees that it brings out the worst in people. The dickwad theory.

Maybe I should not worry about it and go on with my life, this amount of stupidity gives me anxiety.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

When bitcoin hit $15000 I cashed out my .00067 btc paper wallet that a friend was handing out at a party.

It was worth $5 when he gave it to me, and I got a little under $100 and bought a nice bottle of whiskey.

That’s my bitcoin story.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug
A friend of mine has something like 90 bitcoins. I don't know enough about the market to validate this, but he claims it's essentially impossible to turn them into USD due to transaction limits.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

New Yorp New Yorp posted:

A friend of mine has something like 90 bitcoins. I don't know enough about the market to validate this, but he claims it's essentially impossible to turn them into USD due to transaction limits.

Has he tried buying illegal firearms with them? Maybe some illicit drugs?

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Sell them to other idiot. Sell 1 a week or something. If he can't figure it out I'll take them off his hands and do something with them.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

KoRMaK posted:

Sell them to other idiot. Sell 1 a week or something. If he can't figure it out I'll take them off his hands and do something with them.

Cool, now you've either tripped the FinCEN threshold of $10k triggering an investigation, or you made several sub-$10k transactions and that gets you nailed harder.

Dirty Frank
Jul 8, 2004

JawnV6 posted:

Cool, now you've either tripped the FinCEN threshold of $10k triggering an investigation, or you made several sub-$10k transactions and that gets you nailed harder.

I don't know what that means, assuming until now he's just been a good tax paying saleryman, is that still a big deal?

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

JawnV6 posted:

Whatever, I'll file the taxes. I'm allowed to make money.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

KoRMaK posted:

It’s not a tax issue, it’s that any large transaction looks identical to money laundering, and you’re almost assuredly not worth that trouble to your bank.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

In any case, I haven't done anything illegal. So long as I file my taxes I should be fine if they come sniffing. Plus, I'lll have enough buttcoin money to pay an accountant and lawyer to deal with it.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

It's funny to me that you're probably better off actually laundering your BTC than transferring it through a legitimate institution.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Well, thats true of anything where you make a bunch of money, even via legitimate means. If I restore cars I bet I'd have to deal with the same thing.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

KoRMaK posted:

In any case, I haven't done anything illegal. So long as I file my taxes I should be fine if they come sniffing. Plus, I'lll have enough buttcoin money to pay an accountant and lawyer to deal with it.
Yeah, so good luck on the race between declaring a $1M+ windfall, liquidating the BTC through dodgy exchanges that won't do transfers over a $10k cap, and the IRS coming knocking for what, $500k in taxes? I'm not sure any single exchange could handle a $500k cashout without utterly tanking the price.

KoRMaK posted:

Well, thats true of anything where you make a bunch of money, even via legitimate means. If I restore cars I bet I'd have to deal with the same thing.
I mean, if you had business receipts, quarterly tax payments, and could point to happy customers from a successful business I think that's an easier story to sell than "some internet jerk who won't admit to having $1m they gave to me because of their own tax situation just... you know.. ended up in my name looool"

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

The Fool posted:

It's funny to me that you're probably better off actually laundering your BTC than transferring it through a legitimate institution.

Bitcoin, where honest men launder their cash, and where criminals transfer through banks.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

KoRMaK posted:

And your bank is allowed to freeze your accounts for suspicious activity or just cut you a check and say good luck, which you'll need if they do because they share information about people they cut loose for suspicious activity.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Has he considered living in another country?

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
There are a couple of agencies that do real estate deals in Bitcoin, but you'd be left with the real-world taxes on that.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

Vulture Culture posted:

There are a couple of agencies that do real estate deals in Bitcoin, but you'd be left with the real-world taxes on that.

Sell Bitcoin to invest in Vancouver Real Estate! What could go wrong?

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

JawnV6 posted:

Yeah, so good luck on the race between declaring a $1M+ windfall, liquidating the BTC through dodgy exchanges that won't do transfers over a $10k cap, and the IRS coming knocking for what, $500k in taxes? I'm not sure any single exchange could handle a $500k cashout without utterly tanking the price.

I mean, if you had business receipts, quarterly tax payments, and could point to happy customers from a successful business I think that's an easier story to sell than "some internet jerk who won't admit to having $1m they gave to me because of their own tax situation just... you know.. ended up in my name looool"

Well, don't do it all at once. Duhhhhh. geez its like you don't want to fleece idiots over the period of 18+ months. $5k at a time

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Has he considered living in another country?

Just follow whichever tropical countries Mcaffee has lived in, he's already vetted them for crazy technocrats.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Skandranon posted:

Sell Bitcoin to invest in Vancouver Real Estate! What could go wrong?

You end up on HGtv.

evensevenone
May 12, 2001
Glass is a solid.

Skandranon posted:

Bitcoin, where honest men launder their cash, and where criminals transfer through banks.

Between 2000-2011, Wachovia/Wells Fargo laundered more from drug cartels ($378B) than Bitcoin's current market cap ($315B). That we know of.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

KoRMaK posted:

Well, don't do it all at once. Duhhhhh. geez its like you don't want to fleece idiots over the period of 18+ months. $5k at a time
Congrats, you're in FinCEN's other bucket, "trying to avoid any single $10k transfer." That's what they caught Hastert on!

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
You’re supposed to buy poo poo using Bitcoins like video cards, drugs, and sell them for cash to last as your ATM for years or just enjoy it for the novelty. I swear this is like the SA version of that Office Space discussion about what you’d do with a million dollars or something.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

necrobobsledder posted:

You’re supposed to buy poo poo using Bitcoins like video cards, drugs, and sell them for cash to last as your ATM for years or just enjoy it for the novelty. I swear this is like the SA version of that Office Space discussion about what you’d do with a million dollars or something.

Two chicks at the same time man

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

Didn't buttcoin also have the equivalent of a split this year with the bitcoin cash nonsense? Anyone holding BTC through that split owes taxes.

I hope the IRS really goes hard after the likely billions of dollars owed and forces a price crash as people desperately try to sell. I've gotten a few love letters from the IRS (small owner/employee in startups), and I do my best to follow the rules. When you get one of those, you better be able to explain how you already paid the taxes or things get ugly fast.

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

wow this thread is really weird. talk about Agile you ding dongs

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Well, I have hit the point of feeling dread when I wake up in the morning. :smith: Anybody need a embedded Linux guy? I am full stack baby.

evensevenone
May 12, 2001
Glass is a solid.

B-Nasty posted:

Didn't buttcoin also have the equivalent of a split this year with the bitcoin cash nonsense? Anyone holding BTC through that split owes taxes.

I hope the IRS really goes hard after the likely billions of dollars owed and forces a price crash as people desperately try to sell. I've gotten a few love letters from the IRS (small owner/employee in startups), and I do my best to follow the rules. When you get one of those, you better be able to explain how you already paid the taxes or things get ugly fast.

You typically owe cap gains when you sell, and nobody is selling. Also, you can't actually sell bitcoin because the exchanges won't let you cash out anything more than trivial amounts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

evensevenone posted:

You typically owe cap gains when you sell, and nobody is selling. Also, you can't actually sell bitcoin because the exchanges won't let you cash out anything more than trivial amounts.

Yeah, but splits can be different. Ironically, typical stock splits have special tax exemptions, but because bitcoin is more or less just 'property', getting more of it, i.e., income, is an immediately taxable event.

I don't want to derail any further, but here's a discussion: http://fortune.com/2017/11/16/bitcoin-cash-irs/ (like all things buttcoin, nobody knows and it's complicated.)