Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
To kind of expand on that, Aatrox is in the subset of characters who snowball by sustaining so much health that they can outlast 2 people. With grievous wounds, no amount of snowballing will allow him to right click through 3 people in a team fight any more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

its curtains for Kevin posted:

To kind of expand on that, Aatrox is in the subset of characters who snowball by sustaining so much health that they can outlast 2 people. With grievous wounds, no amount of snowballing will allow him to right click through 3 people in a team fight any more.
I'm referring to game-states well before this point in the game.

In laning, for example, Aatrox still excels against many other fights whose goal is to out-trade, since he'll typically go even but then sustain all that damage away. Against tanks like Singed, for example, Aatrox wants to just sit there and whack him and swap to healing when he's sub-50% to really stretch things out. However, when you're level 3 or 4, that means you heal for 40+some small chunk of missing HP... less 50%, every three hits. Which is often less HP than the amount you take on the chin JUST from the Bramble Vest return passive.

Against Aatrox in particular, Bramble Vest is just one of those items with a TON if hidden power all encapsulated within Grievous Wounds automatically applying to anyone who would get aggressive with a tank. It's an incredibly effective and efficient item, and it's super-underrated and under-valued by most.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

People are frequently very dumb about defensive itemization. I've played mostly normals this pre season and I'm frequently stunned by people resolutely not building Armor against a team with two people stacking lethality.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

you cant kill someone with armor items you dummy. not even bramblevest or thornmail or sunfire cape.

a long time ago i was playing with a friend who exclusively plays full damage junglers and he got disconnected for the first five minutes and when i asked him to build tankier he said he was "too far behind" to build tanky and had to build full damage. thats pretty representative of the general player attitude as well as literally every jungler

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

rabidsquid posted:

you cant kill someone with armor items you dummy. not even bramblevest or thornmail or sunfire cape.

a long time ago i was playing with a friend who exclusively plays full damage junglers and he got disconnected for the first five minutes and when i asked him to build tankier he said he was "too far behind" to build tanky and had to build full damage. thats pretty representative of the general player attitude as well as literally every jungler

love to be invincible

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

yea i almost exclusively play characters that reward my being a huge dumb rear end who is good at hitting buttons but also the most fun in the game is being doctor mundo and being unable to die and killing everyone

overloaded tanks arent fun tho, get out of here orrn you piece of poo poo. you're, cut it out man. just cut it out we dont need none of this in here in this game.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

ornn is not for the culture. we not about that oppressive poo poo, we want to be built like trucks and move twice as fast, riot you hosed up when you took out force of nature, put it back in. make a new tank to fill old poppys role of surviving things with 40hp while also taking 2 minutes to kill. doot doot.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

pog boyfriend posted:

make a new tank to fill old poppys role of surviving things with 40hp while also taking 2 minutes to kill. doot doot.

Just play yorick for this tbqh

Magic Rabbit Hat
Nov 4, 2006

Just follow along if you don't wanna get neutered.

I've peaked.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Man, I must've roamed more than I thought, because my Year in Review is convinced my second most-played role (at a whopping 4%) is Mid. I played a single game of Mid this year by complete accident, and that was out of 250ish games.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

i have no idea what the hell the damage per death stat is but i apparently do 5k per death with ezreal. also i played a lot of caitlyn this season that i dont remember playing. and i got a penta this season it didnt count riot u mother fuckers

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

rabidsquid posted:

i have no idea what the hell the damage per death stat is but i apparently do 5k per death with ezreal. also i played a lot of caitlyn this season that i dont remember playing. and i got a penta this season it didnt count riot u mother fuckers

I assume it's average champion damage dealt per game divided by average deaths per game.

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate
i casted twitch QWE all the same number of times each. what this means is that i dont gently caress around

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

My best game for assists was the single game I played Nunu in ranked and won with a score of 3/1/29. I don't even remember what that game was but it apparently happened.

Unsurprisingly I have a bajillion games on Tryndamere and Udyr (58.9/61.9% win rates respectively). Shockingly, as someone who plays nothing but a ton of melee fight mans, my most-lost-to champ was Lulu. This year in review thing is kinda neato.

E: In the entire year I cast Udyr's Q over 10K times. I can Udyr's R just over 100. :unsmith:

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

the number 4 is jhin's gimmick and I see a bunch of 4s there so it looks good to me

Falconer
Dec 7, 2003

Did you know, I was THE MOON once!

Yes! You see, one night it turned out the moon had been STOLEN!

The animal people asked ME to take its place as I am so WISE and BRILLIANT!!
I'm tickled that I even have a year in review to look at. Apparently at some point I had a 1/0/33 game as Soraka.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Champ I've died to most: Yasuo (428 times)

Champ I've killed the most: Yasuo (431 times)

:flipoff: eat poo poo yasuo :smug:

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

Mikujin posted:

He does this far better at level 3 when you have all three buttons to push.

Aatrox, in general, is pretty good at being a fight man in top lane. He's got some noticeably bad match-ups, though.

Including this laundry list of champions:

Aatrox's whole schtick is that he is much worse melee version of Vladimir who attacks you really fast when he wants to all-in you. Fortunately for literally anyone who has to lane against him, this means that for a simple 1K investment they can become utterly immune to all the poo poo Aatrox wants to do to you.

Don't get me wrong, though - Aatrox is fun, and I've definitely got more than a few wins with him (recently, even!) in ranked going topside. But literally every win is against a top laner who didn't build bramble vest, and every lane loss is against someone who did.

bring back old aatrox

Mikujin posted:

His numbers and kit are still really unimpressive for a top lane fighter/bruiser, and far and away his biggest issue is still his passive needing to stack to 5 (which you only do quickly by landing Q/E/R on three people).

having a w stack is an OK way to do it as well

Verviticus fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Dec 19, 2017

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

Rygar201 posted:

People are frequently very dumb about defensive itemization. I've played mostly normals this pre season and I'm frequently stunned by people resolutely not building Armor against a team with two people stacking lethality.

ehhhh, if you think you're better than the other players, it makes sense to always go for broke. if im against people i dont really respect i think, well anything i do im going to do first and i dont want them to fight back

as your skill equalizes with your competition you're going want insurance on them getting the first move in

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I had 69 triple kills this year.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD

Vermain posted:

Man, I must've roamed more than I thought, because my Year in Review is convinced my second most-played role (at a whopping 4%) is Mid. I played a single game of Mid this year by complete accident, and that was out of 250ish games.

Guy Who Exclusively Plays Lux Support With AP Items: Whys the game think I'm a mid laner

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Verviticus posted:

bring back old aatrox

having a w stack is an OK way to do it as well
I'd be ok with reverting to old Aatrox as well; I have more of my games on that iteration than this one.

And as for stacks: in top lane I'm typically always resting on 3-4 stacks (swap to healing mode once you get there so you don't rack any more up), so that when I land an E I can get Tempo starting up while I dive in. Then you your rad max stacks initiation with tons of rune + passive attack speed + bonus base AD, so you hurt a lot. My complaint regarding stacks is that once mid/late game rolls around your passive feels like it's locked away because Aatrox is a great skirmisher and his passive absolutely wants you to go balls deep and still run this risk of getting popped/CCed before you get the fifth stack live.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

i dont really know how to make the new one work, but the old one i just split pushed like i was on tryndamere - a bit weaker than trynd is at that, with the caveat that you can always initiate a teamfight if it comes to you

Bright Future
Oct 9, 2007

[let's] fuck that crazy-ass robot
Five pentas! All in aram though lol

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

According to riot I ward a lot more than supports from any tier. It doesn't make me good though, since I still lose.

SSJ_naruto_2003 fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Dec 19, 2017

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Work Friend Keven posted:

Guy Who Exclusively Plays Lux Support With AP Items: Whys the game think I'm a mid laner

I built Morellonomicon exactly twice this entire year. :colbert:

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician
I wish they had brought back the most synergistic teammates thing from last year's one, because it was so small sample size that you got stuff like braum as your best teammate jungler

Orv
May 4, 2011
I don't even remember playing Gnar...

Killed and died to Vayne the most though. I have achieved balance.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Monicro posted:

I wish they had brought back the most synergistic teammates thing from last year's one, because it was so small sample size that you got stuff like braum as your best teammate jungler

It's available in the client version. They apparently couldn't do it on the website for some reason.

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician

Vermain posted:

It's available in the client version. They apparently couldn't do it on the website for some reason.

Oh yeah there is a friends thing but unless I'm mistaken the one I'm referring to still isnt there? There was one that was like "you had a 65% winrate when your team's toplaner was Darius" etc etc

Primetime
Jul 3, 2009

Monicro posted:

Oh yeah there is a friends thing but unless I'm mistaken the one I'm referring to still isnt there? There was one that was like "you had a 65% winrate when your team's toplaner was Darius" etc etc

It's still kinda there with best and worst vs. I have a 100% winrate vs. Nidalee and 100% loss rate vs. Morde. I saw them both once

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Verviticus posted:

i dont really know how to make the new one work, but the old one i just split pushed like i was on tryndamere - a bit weaker than trynd is at that, with the caveat that you can always initiate a teamfight if it comes to you
This one still plays a lot like the old one but I feel like you want to itemize a bit differently. Before it was always rush a Tiamat item into like Shiv or PD and then GA or some other bruiser-y stuff. Now he really wants to just abuse Lethal Tempo + his passive. Typically got BotRK into Guinsoos and GA. Start E-W-Q then R>W>E>Q (since E sucks now that it's physical damage).

In lane just get your passive stacks to 3-4 and sit on them. Poke enemy with E: if you hit, swap W to damage and Q in. By the time you land/knock them up you'll get the attack speed boost from Tempo plus the attack speed and base AD from your passive. If the enemy tries to melee trade with you they lose hard. Otherwise, they blows summoners or other escapes, at which point you get to sustain any damage you took with W just like old Aatrox would.

Mid-late he kinda feels similar where he just wants to split and be a weaker Tryndamere, with the exception that you don't get tanky enough to force fights - though if your team has tertiary initiation you can help I guess. And, as mentioned, hope no one builds early Bramble Vests because you literally can't beat them if they do. It's really sad.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
Every God Forsaken Noob Of The Earth: Play Quinn or Riven top every game gotta carry folks wow great split push

Keven, Warrior of Truth, Man of Honor, Champion of All People of Runeterra:

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

Every God Forsaken Noob Of The Earth: Play Quinn or Riven top every game gotta carry folks wow great split push

coward gently caress

Ormi
Feb 7, 2005

B-E-H-A-V-E
Arrest us!

I think this means I'm too thirsty. :thunk:

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

I guess I played Vi once?

:shrug:

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
How is it that people are dying to Yasuo so much

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Untreelievable

I have an 82% Lux winrate. She's good.

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED
My season in review was basically just "you should be playing more vel'koz" and i was like "yeah" :blush:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iSurrender
Aug 25, 2005
Now with 22% more apathy!
My season in review showed how atrocious I am at using Hawkshot.