Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

standard.deviant
May 17, 2012

Globally Indigent

mlmp08 posted:

Yeah, I've seen that before plenty, but the other video with the darting just looks different. Could just be perspective plus the weird shape of whatever it is they're looking at, though. It's not enough go all Moulder over the video, but pretty weird looking.

Of course, I've also seen whole control centers kinda get on edge and commit interceptors to what turns out to be something like a balloon floating about.
No doubt. Early this year the Chileans released a totally unexplainable video that turned out to have been a civilian airliner, but it’s a lot harder to find the mundane explanation than a million sensational articles about how unexplainable the video was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Alaan posted:

What kind of coastal radar range can you get for surface detection before curvature stops you?

Distance to the horizon is about 3.57 times the square root of height if distance is in kilometers and height is in meters.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Blind Rasputin posted:

I’m glad I asked my question because it has been a rad digression. Crystalline metal turbofan blades.

Hell yeah. Stuff like this is why we're massive nerds!

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9selhGBPdek

If I've learned anything from this thread it's that the Saudis firing a dozen patriots at an incoming scud is accurate.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

ought ten posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9selhGBPdek

If I've learned anything from this thread it's that the Saudis firing a dozen patriots at an incoming scud is accurate.

*insert your preferred Patriot joke about accuracy*

Also I love that frigate. "Built for speed! (14 knots)"

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
There’s a reason US forces use US patriot and crews for defense. One day we hope to change that, but not yet.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

simplefish posted:

*insert your preferred Patriot joke about accuracy*

Something something Malcolm Butler.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

mlmp08 posted:

An old school (read current GO) air defender with experience with the York said the York wasn’t so much a thing that couldn’t shoot down helicopters, just a maintenance, reliability, cost, and overland maneuver speed problem that worked together to kill itself.

Shouldn't it have been relatively easy to re-adapt it onto an Abrams or Bradley chassis though? I feel like the sensor fusion is the hard part of that project, though followed by turret design I guess.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

If by relatively easy you mean "redo basically every part of the project to the point where you're basically starting from scratch", then maybe.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Should be rule #1 of the thread: nothing in military equipment development or procurement is ever easy.

Rule #2 should be: adapting, repurposing or recommissioning old equipment is never a good idea.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
The one DIVAD project that was a GAU-8 mated to the Abrams chassis. That was the one to build.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

That one was super ammo limited I think, sadly.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

This is probably in my top 10 for favorite Wikipedia articles for that section alone.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

priznat posted:

Should be rule #1 of the thread: nothing in military equipment development or procurement is ever easy.

Rule #2 should be: adapting, repurposing or recommissioning old equipment is never a good idea.
Rule #3: Performance and cost efficiency of military equipment is irrelevant for its procurement, it's all about how many pork barrels the manufacturer can provide.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Deptfordx posted:

Rifle? Oh look at Mr Fancy Pants here, with his impractical hi-tech solutions.

What's wrong with your trusty service revolver? :colbert:

What's wrong with it, old chap, is that it's simply Not Enough Gun

Mauser C-96 battery on an Austro-Hungarian recon plane, sometime in late 1915

NightGyr
Mar 7, 2005
I � Unicode

Collateral Damage posted:

Rule #3: Performance and cost efficiency of military equipment is irrelevant for its procurement, it's all about how many pork barrels the manufacturer can provide.

quote:

I had a guaranteed military sale...renovation program, spare parts for twenty-five years... Who cares if it worked or not?

Robocop, still the best movie.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

MohawkSatan posted:

Cyrano seriously understated the complexity of the manufacturing processes involved in jet engines. Not only are your alloys far, far beyond what existed before jets started getting serious(like the 1940s, where basic steel alloys and aluminium were your main things), but modern turbine blades? They're a loving monocrystalline structure. Yeah, that's right. Every single tiny steel crystal in the damned thing is aligned on the same axis, basically making it into a single big fuckoff crystal

What kind of difference does that make, from a manufacturing and maintenance standpoint? Well, everything after the ore comes out of the ground is controlled and registered. You can track which smelter refined it, which company ran that smelter, what the alloying mix was, what shift it was cast on, etc. And then you get to the machining, where you make something out of this single big fuckoff hyper specific steel alloy crystal that can spin at speeds greater than 12000 RPM without getting any vibration, while being exposed to temperatures in the thousands of degrees Celsius. Milligram of weight off? It explodes at speed. Heats up a tiny bit too much during machining? Explodes. Not cast correctly at the foundry? Explodes.

Two page back :spergin: and fanatic touched it but but most monocrystaline turbine blades are nickel or Ni-Cr alloys with a ceramic (Often combos of AlOx, AlNx, SiOx, SiCx, TiX and a bunch of others) environmental barrier coatings, not iron alloys (i.e. steel). This is because of creep properties of nickel alloys that are not exhibited as well in steel save for a few examples, (e.g. A286 stainless alloy that has good creep properties)

EDIT: I will stop editing now, drinkin and spergin on my first day of vacation. If you want to hear my ramblings about ceramic composites and aircraft engines let me know.

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Dec 19, 2017

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Rent-A-Cop posted:

These sorts of subs strike me as more of a naval vanity project than an effective weapon. At 5kts you're depending on either blind luck or massive incompetence on the part of the enemy to ever get a decent shot. And you better hope no ASW assets are left alive when your tubes are empty because even at an "oh gently caress!" sprint on batteries you aren't clearing the area before they start making GBS threads a million torpedos into the water.

Seems like money would be better spent on a capability to spam ASMs at anything near your coast.

That's just how subs work dude. They can't go very fast if they're anywhere near something hostile with a hydrophone because they'll get noticed. Pre-nuclear subs just couldn't go very fast submerged at all, and certainly not sprint any significant distances. Intercepting a target with a sub in open water is a very tricky business that involves a fair bit of luck, and yet diesels historically managed to do it successfully quite often. A diesel boat with AIP is still a perfectly regular diesel with the usual battery banks; the AIP is just an add-on that enables almost completely silent power generation while submerged, and that used to be impossible unless you had a nuclear reactor. It's not a lot of power (hence the low sustained speed) but it's one hell of a lot better than nothing.

The advantage a sub has over an ASM battery on land is mainly that it's much harder to hide an ASM battery, especially if it's moving. Something that can stay completely invisible for weeks at a time and reposition without ever being seen has a great value as a deterrent. Littoral subs also come with a bunch of naval mines in tow in addition to their modest torpedo armament, so they can be an even more obnoxious area denial tool, especially in shallower seas where navigational routes are limited.

AIP isn't some unique Swedish special snowflake thing either - Kockums was one of the first to it as far as I know but everyone who is building non-nuclear subs has some kind of AIP technology now. The US Navy actually rented one of the Swedish Gotland class AIP diesels complete with crew to use as an aggressor back in the early 2000's, and it turned out it wasn't completely toothless (although I believe someone in this thread mentioned that the USN's sub hunting arm has atrophied badly since the Cold War).

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Dec 19, 2017

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Dammit Doc, I just bought this for you 3 months ago. Try and keep it around for a bit longer this time.

Memento posted:

Hey, DICE, get this into BF1 ASAP.

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!

Memento posted:

Does it shoot all at once like a shotgun or sequentially like a machine gun?

How mad are his fellow officers going to be once they wake up and notice their sidearms were stolen?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

INTJ Mastermind posted:

Does it shoot all at once like a shotgun or sequentially like a machine gun?

How mad are his fellow officers going to be once they wake up and notice their sidearms were stolen?

Single trigger, they all fire at once.

And what are they going to do about it? He's got all their guns.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
Whats everyone think this is?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TIciPSOWn_A

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
Neither space aliens nor classified/foreign future tech indistinguishable from magic.

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Dammit Doc, I just bought this for you 3 months ago. Try and keep it around for a bit longer this time.
Swamp gas.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Weather balloon.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Now that we’ve discussed the composition of jet turbine blades and since we are on the subject of submarines I was wondering if you all knew the exact composition of US nuclear submarine propellers? The angles and rotation speeds of the blades seem interesting too maybe we could discuss that next.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Toshiba puppet account spotted.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

priznat posted:

Contrary to common sense, this rule completely falls apart when it comes to airplanes.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Blind Rasputin posted:

Now that we’ve discussed the composition of jet turbine blades and since we are on the subject of submarines I was wondering if you all knew the exact composition of US nuclear submarine propellers? The angles and rotation speeds of the blades seem interesting too maybe we could discuss that next.

Magic!

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Blind Rasputin posted:

Submarines don't have propellers. They create small mass effect fields in front and behind them to move through the water silently.

RaffyTaffy
Oct 15, 2008

Blind Rasputin posted:

Would it be ok if I faxed you the technical docs at (213) 807-8088 or do you need a physical sample. Maybe a whole sub would work.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

RaffyTaffy posted:

Would it be ok if I faxed you the technical docs at (213) 807-8088 or do you need a physical sample. Maybe a whole sub would work.

Huh I was expecting the Russian embassy not the Chinese.

RaffyTaffy
Oct 15, 2008
That was my first search.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

hobbesmaster posted:

The fax machine killed the Soviet Union.

They’re not taking that risk.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

hobbesmaster posted:

With that many 8s in the number it's definitely Chinese.

Hey while you're at it can you ask them if Harold Holt was useful to them and if we can have his body back, please?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Honestly my first thought is that it looks weird but it wouldn’t have been released by the government if there wasn’t an explanation.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Dead Reckoning posted:

I mostly flew planes manufactured from 1958-1960. So imagine taking Uncle Avery's lovingly maintained 1958 Chevy Task Force from the farm, dropping in a Vortec V8, re-wiring it for the electronics in a 2004 Silverado, and driving it over the dirt roads of Afghanistan in the summer. Ask your mechanic what it's going to take to keep it going, keeping in mind that if the engine stops for any reason, you will likely die.

Also note that your mechanic has all the original manuals for the 1958. And another manual for the mechanical and wiring changes to get the Vortec in. A separate set of manuals that have all the original wiring diagrams for the original AM radio, the AM/FM radio, the AM/FM/8-track, and that one stereo you wired in in high school that cut all the wires from the factory install, and the conversion kit that puts the '04 nav package in.

Then you go "hey, I think one of the speakers sounds a little funny" but you can't really say why or when or in what way or what you were doing when you noticed and you wonder why your mechanic only thinks about drinking heavily and murdering you in your sleep when you helpfully add "I think it's the carburetor."

Whoops, left the tab open WAY too long. I'm leaving it, because I'm a bitter mechanic and pilots are the worst.

babyeatingpsychopath fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Dec 19, 2017

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Dead Reckoning posted:

"Uh, how many guys do we have, Active, Reserve, and Guard, with an active security clearance, current flight physical, all these SEIs, and an F-117 Form 8?"

By the time we get to that point, where we're going, we don't need Form 8's to fly :getin:

Platystemon posted:

Maybe not thirty thousand feet—few places in the ocean reach that depth—but can you imagine it?

You’re tangled up and weighed down, slowly sinking into the black abyss.

Historically, quite a lot of sailors didn’t know how to swim. They didn’t require any special circumstances to down.

The glass-half-full way of thinking about it is, given the average depth of the ocean, you're never more than a couple miles away from land :v:

Collateral Damage posted:

Helicopter: A million parts rotating rapidly around an oil leak, waiting for metal fatigue to set in.

My favorite one was 'never trust an aircraft whose wings travel faster than its fuselage.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Platystemon posted:

Maybe not thirty thousand feet—few places in the ocean reach that depth—but can you imagine it?

You’re tangled up and weighed down, slowly sinking into the black abyss.

Historically, quite a lot of sailors didn’t know how to swim. They didn’t require any special circumstances to down.

Naw, drowning or hypothermia will kill you long before you reach crush depth in a sinking. Unless you're in a submarine but I am given to understand that an implosion is an instantaneous event (I was never a submariner).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kafouille
Nov 5, 2004

Think Fast !
Obligatory reference material

That's with a one atmosphere delta. At even a modest 200m depth it's 20 times that.