Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Daynab
Aug 5, 2008

Those are all full priced banners, they're not doing a special half-off or anything? I have like no mithril because I'm an impulse buyer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

Daynab posted:

Those are all full priced banners, they're not doing a special half-off or anything? I have like no mithril because I'm an impulse buyer.

We get three lucky banners leading up to the fest. Healer, BSB, 6*.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

It almost feels wrong, but unless they give a poo poo ton of free mythril (and maybe even if), I'm probably skipping the healer and BSB banner and only going for 6*+.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

iamsosmrt posted:

It almost feels wrong, but unless they give a poo poo ton of free mythril (and maybe even if), I'm probably skipping the healer and BSB banner and only going for 6*+.

After my last "lucky" draw gave me Cloud BSB1 I'm done with them unless they are 6*. The relic pool is too big to be worth it unless you are a brand new player.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

pichupal posted:

Banner 3: Tidus CSB, Zack CSB, Cloud USB

Mother of god. :stare:

My three most wanted relics in the game all on one banner. Gonna pull till my fingers bleed if I have to on this one.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Prav posted:

if you can't afford 5* hones yet you should probably look into bringing some more bursts. USBs and chains are nice and all but they rely on ability hones.

Ya I wish I paid attention before I used so many ice and dark orbs just to beat a single magicite boss

Action George
Apr 13, 2013

iamsosmrt posted:

That doesn't seem that wrong. I think I'm in the same boat, as are a lot of long time players probably. Even a good pull on those two banners would likely just be a side grade or more CM options than an out and out upgrade. Even the 6* banner feels iffy depending on the exact selection on it and the other banners. For every Cloud or Bartz USB there's a Tyro OSB or Ysh USB

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

djfooboo posted:

Raines performs well in a physical team. His self buffs and double procs and speed casting make him such a beast.

FruitPunchSamurai posted:

I don't know your 5* ability hone situation is. That would definitely affect how good some of these dives are at least.

Buttz is probably the better dive since his USB can make him really good with more elements. You would have to hone the quadstrikes to get the best use of him however. He would also be a shoein for Living Flame magicite if you can get two bars on him for enwater from his BSB2 and his USB with the water quadstrike, and he's still pretty good even without enelement for the others.

Cid Raines on the other hand takes a lot less investment to get going. His BSB is still one of the best in the game up to this point especially with the doublecast procs. And the only skills you need for him are wrath and memento mori. His 4 star support can also be useful if you need him to bring a break.

Marche has the advantage of having en element on his USB. If you have guardbringer and divine cross honed up a good amount, then he is really good even just by himself. Otherwise, I'm not sure he really benefits that much from his dives. His BSB is not ideal to use with his USB. Until we get more than guardbringer for knight 4 hit abilities, Marche is a bit harder to justify. Knight is just not very versatile.

Short version:
If you have quadstrikes honed, Bartz. If not, Raines. Marche can wait.

Thanks guys, Raines it is. Two follow up questions:

Since his SBs are Dark/Holy, will holy boost and dark boost equipment stack?
Which of these record materia is best: +large magic, +significant dark damage, or +small chance for dark doublecast?

Uncle Ulty
Dec 12, 2006

Represent.
So no news on the 3-pulls for 5 myth each?

I'm currently sitting on 400 mythril, so if we don't get that, then I should be in good shape to pull on all of my chosen fest banners with no worries. But if those do come up, then I'll have to make some choices.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

The Moon Monster posted:

Thanks guys, Raines it is. Two follow up questions:

Since his SBs are Dark/Holy, will holy boost and dark boost equipment stack?
Which of these record materia is best: +large magic, +significant dark damage, or +small chance for dark doublecast?

The first question: No. The type of damage an attack deals is calculated by which one would have the biggest multiplier, so it will only ever use one of the two. (If they're tied, it defaults to whichever the ability lists first.) Using two dark or two holy boosting items does stack though.

The second question is more complicated.

Magic is best until you hit the softcap, where the stat gives you diminishing returns. Raines can generally hit this himself between his burst entry buff, his burst command 2 buff, and basically anything else (he can use Memento Mori, which will do it, if you have nothing else). I would not give Raines this one.

Significant dark is probably generally more useful, but make sure it refers to Dark, the element, and not Darkness, the type of ability; Raines' burst commands are not Darkness, they are Black Magic - though the aforementioned Memento Mori is Darkness. I bring this up because there's no RM that is doublecast dark, the element, but there is for doublecast Darkness, the ability school (two actually, Karmic Blade and Arcane Secrets). There's a +booster for each, though.

FruitPunchSamurai
Oct 20, 2010

^^^^^^^^^
edit: Yeah what that guy said

The way damage is calculated in this game, having two different element stat boosting equipment will not stack. The game will deal whatever type of damage that yields the highest damage and excludes the other damage type from the calculation. To make the most of his BSB, it helps to have two holy boosting or two dark boosting relics.

Out of the materia you listed, significant dark damage is the best unless you're already capping on his commands. Large magic isn't really that good for him because he can self buff to the magic cap or pretty close to it, not including any external sources of magic. Your goal for maximizing him should be the much more holy/dark materia from Paladin Cecil and Garland respectively, or tyro's last RM if the boss is weak to one of them.

FruitPunchSamurai fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Dec 18, 2017

bilperkins2
Nov 22, 2004

Fashion for Dogz
:france:

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

I really want all of those chains. I also really want Cloud's USB, but it's on the banner with the only 2 chains I already have, of course.

I'm in the same boat :( I really want it but sounds like too many dupes.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

cloud's usb is boring as poo poo

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Prav posted:

cloud's usb is boring as poo poo

It is, but it gets most jobs done fairly easily and I'm not the type of person who enjoys beating my head against a wall for extended periods of time.

Boogaloo Shrimp
Aug 2, 2004

Uncle Ulty posted:

So no news on the 3-pulls for 5 myth each?

I'm currently sitting on 400 mythril, so if we don't get that, then I should be in good shape to pull on all of my chosen fest banners with no worries. But if those do come up, then I'll have to make some choices.

Those first showed up in JP as part of the 3rd year anniversary, which roughly translates to the spring anniversary for Global which is usually in March, so 3 more months.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Yeah, Cloud's USB is just nice because there's so much poo poo to do in this game now and turning a grindy 10 minute fight that isn't even challenging into a 2 minute fight instead sounds good to me.

This is just rough because it's coming pretty close to the III banner, which is then fairly close to the crazy Tactics banner, and I also need to save some pulls for the next IX banner because I really want Beatrix / Vivi relics.

I could easily blow 400 mythril on these banners, but that would clear out all my savings.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

That's DeNA's :master: to tempt you to pay $$ for pulls.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
It's ok to spend the mythril

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

If you want some real fun apparently JP just put up an HTML 5 rom of FF1 and that Google Translate. :eyepop:

Squinky v2.0
Nov 16, 2006

Behind you! A three headed monkey!

College Slice
Is hope any good? I just pulled his usb and bsb2 in the same 11.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Squinky v2.0 posted:

he's fine, and those are pretty good. He'll get better when we get Madeen.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Squinky v2.0 posted:

He's extremely mediocre. If you don't have other Holy options, he's very useable, but they really should've given him 5* white access. If you have Raines BSB, it'll outperform Hope at his own game in 99% of situations.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Yeah, Cloud's USB is just nice because there's so much poo poo to do in this game now and turning a grindy 10 minute fight that isn't even challenging into a 2 minute fight instead sounds good to me.

This is just rough because it's coming pretty close to the III banner, which is then fairly close to the crazy Tactics banner, and I also need to save some pulls for the next IX banner because I really want Beatrix / Vivi relics.

I could easily blow 400 mythril on these banners, but that would clear out all my savings.

I know right, I could really use some chains since I have zero, but I also want one of the Onion Knight USBs and the USB for Thunder God Cidolfus Orlandeau, Sword Saint. I'm only at 200 mithril so I hope they give us some for Christmas.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

pull or die in obscurity

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

rabidsquid posted:

pull or die in obscurity

Blame yourself or RNGesus.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

I'm feeling pretty good about hoarding all of the mythril I got when they brought back old events instead of using it on all the recent trap banners.

I'm sure the feeling will be long gone by the end of the fest.

bilperkins2
Nov 22, 2004

Fashion for Dogz
:france:

How come the jump start is greyed out for me? I completed the whole rest of the event, thinking that might unlock it, but it’s still locked.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

bilperkins2 posted:

How come the jump start is greyed out for me? I completed the whole rest of the event, thinking that might unlock it, but it’s still locked.

Something got hosed with the event. The single remaining DeNA intern fell asleep on the keyboard.

It seems, from anecdotal evidence, that the only people who have this event's JS unlocked are the ones who weren't playing the game during last event's JS.

superloosegoose
Dec 26, 2008
is marche good without his usb? I have his lmr and his bsb now. i feel like he could dump a lot of saint's cross damage with those + holy gear, but based on just that he seems meh

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

superloosegoose posted:

is marche good without his usb? I have his lmr and his bsb now. i feel like he could dump a lot of saint's cross damage with those + holy gear, but based on just that he seems meh

Pretty much anybody with doublecast holy and access to Divine Cross + Guardbringer can poo poo out absurd damage, especially given how much +holy gear (especially good swords) are floating around.

I dove Beatrix with just her BSB and she's basically identical, and while I regret that now, that's only because I pulled Marche's BSB and USB literally 2 days later and he would have been just a straight-up upgrade. Dived Beatrix still let me mop the floor with Shadow Dragon after struggling against him for a while, and while the effect of Marche's USB is really, really good, pretty much anyone with doublecast LMs are worthy dive candidates even without relics, at least with the direction the meta has been moving in recently (and still is in JP, as far as I know).

edit: That said, it's probably still one of those situations where you have to ask yourself, will diving that character specifically bring you closer to your current goals? Is your holy coverage relatively weak, or are you stonewalled against Shadow Dragon or something? If you haven't had any issues with your holy DPS yet, you might want to hold off, just because you never know what you're going to pull next, and motes are still very rare. It basically comes down to doing it because it shores up a major weakness in your elemental coverage, or because you want to start working toward magicite speed clears.

(or just because you like the character and feel like it, of course)

Grizzled Patriarch fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Dec 19, 2017

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

boy there's nothing like trying to make a spread sheet of all your SBs to make you realize how much complete crap you've been holding onto

half of these ssbs aren't even worth typing down, much less bringing into anything mildly difficult these days

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Yeah I gave up on spreadsheeting, I have literally hundreds of SBs now and I could probably turn most of those relics into rosetta stones and never miss them, but instead I just keep hoarding them.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

i feel like i need some kinda spreadsheet because i only now realized a day or two ago that i had a fran bsb and a galuf bsb just sitting there

i just gotta like. ignore the part of my brain that's telling me to keep track of every sb i have, even if it's my half a dozen 'less powerful than a 5* abliity' unique sbs

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

Yeah I gave up on spreadsheeting, I have literally hundreds of SBs now and I could probably turn most of those relics into rosetta stones and never miss them, but instead I just keep hoarding them.

I intermittently update my Spreadsheets but I don't see much point these days. I never show them to anyone else because I always feel like it looks too smug to do so and I never reference them either. My Wordpad doc is more up to date, mostly because I keep notes for JP on what stuff has all realms +Element or Resistances.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

is there an orbfest coming along with these holiday banners?

coming back from a six month break to a 'usb + big hones' meta has been kind of a bummer when that break means i have very few of either; if there is one coming i'm half thinking of spending some major mythril on orb farming

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

Everynight I wake up Screaming.
(and beating the dragon)
Wheres my 5* Spirit Motes goddamnit

Its been nothing but Bravery and Vit outside Crystal Tower missions, and im certainly not gonna be able to do those.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Brother Entropy posted:

is there an orbfest coming along with these holiday banners?

coming back from a six month break to a 'usb + big hones' meta has been kind of a bummer when that break means i have very few of either; if there is one coming i'm half thinking of spending some major mythril on orb farming

Yes, I think someone posted a pic of the schedule a few pages back.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Alxprit posted:

I like how Monday is Spanish

oh what do you know, it was just last page

for some reason i thought this was about a daily dungeon revamp

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

It is about a daily dungeon revamp. I don't think we get Orbfests anymore. I remember someone saying that during future fests they allow you to access any Daily Dungeon at will.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
Yeah, that's the dailies revamp. Again, JP didn't get this fest (they got two smaller fest instead; they were arguably better because they were only 3 banners each and tended to have 3 CSBs on each banner, as opposed to the 1-2 per banner it looks like we'll be getting), so it's hard to say on the orbfest issue. JP did not have an orbfest for their 3rd anniversary (coming up for global in March), but had all the dailies open instead. It sounds like for the upcoming fest in JP, they're doing the dailies thing again, but there may be some sort of limited-access orbfest, where you get "tickets" each day you can use to run a special dungeon. The dailies thing instead of an orbfest is honestly kinda lame, since you do dailies all the time anyway and it's not special, the XP is bad, and you don't get gil. You'd be surprised how much you rely on orbfest gil to avoid ever needing money, but long time players probably have more gil than they know what to do with.

• Locked thread