Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE

Green Tea Erotica posted:

I was wondering, and hopefully someone can give me an opinopn. I'm going to be doing my first EotE campaign soon and I'm curious if it works well with no board or pieces as I think it will. My group previously played 4ed DnD so are used to having every movement on a board. Anyone play with just paper and your imagination~

I stole a huge whiteboard from work so we could place it on the table and draw maps, but in practice we rarely use it because it doesn't make sense to draw something that we'll be moving on from shortly. If we're going to be spending a while in one place where layout is important, then we'll draw it.

Otherwise the only thing on the table are our sheets and the dice tray. Our group is big on the theater of the mind. Sometimes it leads to misunderstandings but those are few and far between. We've all been playing together for 5 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuriousAngle
May 14, 2006

See your face upon the clean water. How dirty! Come! Wash your face!

Crumbletron posted:

I stole a huge whiteboard from work so we could place it on the table and draw maps, but in practice we rarely use it because it doesn't make sense to draw something that we'll be moving on from shortly. If we're going to be spending a while in one place where layout is important, then we'll draw it.

Otherwise the only thing on the table are our sheets and the dice tray. Our group is big on the theater of the mind. Sometimes it leads to misunderstandings but those are few and far between. We've all been playing together for 5 years.

One option I used before my in-person games dissolved was to take a hex-battlemap and draw the "bands" and move tokens or paws between the range bands. I just picked an arbitrary part of the map to act as the "center" or "engaged" band and everything was relative. It isn't super-accurate but it could help players start thinking more abstractly and less in terms of traditional RPG movement.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE
Yeah, for the big setpieces we do something like that. Everyone picks a token to represent them and we draw the bands on and other detritus that affects the landscape.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Which are the good premade adventures again?

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Blockhouse posted:

Which are the good premade adventures again?

The ones you play with your friends

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
I now really want to run an age of rebellion game sad right after the Last Jedi. The new status quo is an interesting one. Also, the notion of playing in a world that is undefined is fun.

Too bad I probably don't have time.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Covok posted:

I now really want to run an age of rebellion game sad right after the Last Jedi. The new status quo is an interesting one. Also, the notion of playing in a world that is undefined is fun.

Yeah, the current metaplot or whatever you wanna call it is super good and I really want to do some stuff in it!

susan
Jan 14, 2013

Covok posted:

Very true. Like, realistically, aside from a few ship statblocks, does anything need to be updated for the new setting? Assuming we ignore Warp travel speeds, just like the films do...

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Covok posted:

:agreed:

Seems like a VERY interesting state right now, and very much in line with the Rebellion as a grassroots movement, or random Force-sensitives etc.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

susan posted:

Very true. Like, realistically, aside from a few ship statblocks, does anything need to be updated for the new setting? Assuming we ignore Warp travel speeds, just like the films do...

Not really. Reskin any blaster rifles as the new blaster rifles, reskin stormtroopers as first order soldiers, make up a stat block for the swinging lightning things that Finn always throws about...

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Arcturas posted:

Not really. Reskin any blaster rifles as the new blaster rifles, reskin stormtroopers as first order soldiers, make up a stat block for the swinging lightning things that Finn always throws about...

Isn't that bigass stun baton already in Disciples of Harmony?

susan
Jan 14, 2013

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Isn't that bigass stun baton already in Disciples of Harmony?

http://swrpg.viluppo.net/equipment/weapons/

Czerka "Peacekeeper" Stun Baton
Melee +2 4 Engaged 3 2 500 3 Cumbersome 3, Disorient 2, Stun 3, ND:48

Z6 Riot Control Baton
Melee +2 5 Engaged 2 1 1,000 4 Cortosis, Disorient 2, Stun Damage, DoH:44

The new ships, though, not so much. Though how much have the X-Wing and TIE actually changed? I mean, sure, TIEs have shields now. So give them a shield point in the front arc. And X-Wings have some kind of afterburner, so... I don't know the best way to handle that one, actually. Up their speed/strain/maneuverability? The Rebel Bombers, First Order Dreadnaught/Star Destroyers/etc, would all need to be lightly homebrewed, though.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Maybe they’ll eventually do a new book for the 7-9 setting like the Dawn of Rebellion one.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

susan posted:

And X-Wings have some kind of afterburner, so... I don't know the best way to handle that one, actually. Up their speed/strain/maneuverability?

Give them a modification that lets them Punch It without taking strain.

susan
Jan 14, 2013

Arcturas posted:

Give them a modification that lets them Punch It without taking strain.

Yeah, that could work...

Related question for the group: Looks like I will be running 'Tales of Porg Squadron' for my game group in January as a new campaign. Since this will be an Ace game set in the new timeline, and each PC will get their own ship, what other mods/etc should I do for the stock ships to update them? I'm thinking:

Afterburner/Punch It Upgrade (TBD stats) for X-Wings, or some other neat trick.
Increase Strain for A-Wings, or increase speed even more, or give non-lovely blasters.
Increase Armor for Y-Wings, or let them attach mega-ordinance (TLJ bomb pods) on their wings.
Give B-Wings a strain-draining megagun from Rebels, or increase maneuverability.
E-Wings unchanged, as they deserve nothing.

Anything else I should do?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
They're all but invisible on-screen, and of course they're only named in the Visual Dictionary, but The Last Jedi has a shout-out to FFG

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

jivjov posted:

They're all but invisible on-screen, and of course they're only named in the Visual Dictionary, but The Last Jedi has a shout-out to FFG

Given that there's a d4, d10, and d20 there I'm not sure it's an FFG shoutout in particular.

EDIT: Okay, the name I guess.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Should've just used the EotE dice :colbert:

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Should've just used the EotE dice :colbert:

That would support my pet theory as to why FFG redesigned the results icons for Genesys.

FuriousAngle
May 14, 2006

See your face upon the clean water. How dirty! Come! Wash your face!
FANTAFLY Dice?

Not really subtle, are they? :mmmhmm:

Rogue 7
Oct 13, 2012
Yo so someone in another thread said that Autofire breaks this game in half. I'm just about to start running and EotE game, and while I don't have any worries about my players, I don't want to do something like set up an E-Web blaster for an ambush and walk into a TPK. Can someone please elaborate?

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

I don't know what to put here. Guys? GUYS?!

Rogue 7 posted:

Yo so someone in another thread said that Autofire breaks this game in half. I'm just about to start running and EotE game, and while I don't have any worries about my players, I don't want to do something like set up an E-Web blaster for an ambush and walk into a TPK. Can someone please elaborate?

Basically, once you have enough dice, Autofire can be really nasty, especially at short range. Adding a single difficulty dice for the opportunity to hit multiple times can create some really ridiculous autofire attacks. It's only really a problem in the later game when there are ways to increase the numbers of dice, upgrade dice, do more damage for an attack, get free advantage, reduce the number of advantage to use for it, etc.

I think sometimes people forget you need to prime Autofire with the extra difficulty die. It's not crazy broken until you start adding a lot of bonuses, and usually at that point, the enemies should have similar crazy things.

Valatar
Sep 26, 2011

A remarkable example of a pathetic species.
Lipstick Apathy
Autofire is dandy against minion groups with negligible defenses, but then it kinda should be. Against a nemesis or anything with good defensive abilities, however, it opens the user up to increased likelihood of hitting despairs or just missing. That extra black die isn't insignificant if it's on top of a couple other black dice and some difficulty upgrades. So I guess the actual answer to the question is: It depends. If your GM tends to throw large groups of goons, autofire is very powerful and your best friend. If your GM uses fewer but more dangerous opponents, autofire is less helpful. Linked is a better quality to have against solo opponents, as it has no real downside.

Also, very important detail, multiple hits from autofire and linked have soak reduce damage for EACH HIT. So if you autofire on something and do two 10-damage hits but it soaks for 8, you do 4 damage, not 12. If someone's getting that rule wrong, it makes multi-hit go immediately and insanely overpowered.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
New preview article for Dawn of Rebellion. While I don't really care too much about the Broken Horn Syndicate, I'm happy that we'll also be getting profiles in the book about the Inquisitorius and Phoenix Cell.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Rogue 7 posted:

a basic stormtrooper or imperial army gunner ~almost certainly won't generate enough advantage to trigger autofire more than once, and is not certain to trigger it at all during the course of an early-game encounter.

particularly as your E-Web gunner is probably not part of a big minion group, and thus won't get the stacking skill ranks that minion groups do.

we can get a concrete idea of this by running the probabilities
http://game2.ca/eote/?montecarlo=100000

A typical autofire attack roll for your scenario would be 2 green dice and 1 yellow die (for a 2-man stormtrooper gunnery team) versus 3 purple dice (2 base difficulty at medium range, +1 for autofire)

with this roll, the probability of generating at least 2 advantage is only ~15%, and the probability of generating at least 4 advantage is only ~1%. That's if the attack succeeds at all.

Autofire only becomes really crazy due to talents and gear options that PCs and higher-end bad guys have access to. It's not nearly as dangerous in the hands of minions.

PupsOfWar fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Jan 6, 2018

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens
Plus as a GM you can choose to spread your autofire hits out- the problem is PCs dumping 3 hits dealing 12+ damage each into a single Nemesis and killing them in one action. That’s more of a problem with the Heavy Blaster Rifle than anything else, autofire on a SE-14c isn’t OP. If you want to rebalance it, just ban PCs from allocating multiple hits to the same target- each autofire trigger hits someone new.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
I've been listening to the Expounded Universe podcast, I now know about Ghostlings.

Wooo boy.

Coincidentally, here is my Ghostling homebrew.

Brawn: 1
Agility: 1
Intellect: 2
Willpower: 3
Charm: 3
Starting Experience: 120 XP
Wound Threshold: 8 + Brawn
Strain Threshold: 12 + Willpower
Special Abilities: Ghostlings start with one free rank in Charm. They may still not raise it above 2 during character creation.
Wispy: Cannot increase Brawn above 1.
What the gently caress?: If you ever gently caress a non-ghostling, you will be hosed to death. You also want to do this...for some reason. It's hosed up and I think you might be someone's fetish that they imported into Star Wars, but, Shrug, it's your life. Crystal Star is a bad book, what can I say?

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Talkie Toaster posted:

That’s more of a problem with the Heavy Blaster Rifle than anything else

It really is

everything else with autofire is either:

a) weak enough on a per-hit basis that autofire is reasonable (the vrelt autopistol, the various subrepeating blasters like you mentioned)

b) some sort of big ordnance piece whose combination of expense/weight/conspicuousness/rarity means its deployment can be limited.

a lot of 'em also have Inaccurate.

the HBR meanwhile has
10 base damage
middling Rarity
3 cumbersome (easily reduced to 2 using one of the cheapest mods in the game, allowing it to be wielded by nearly anybody)
low cost
a bunch of hard points (which can be used to further boost the damage and add mods that grant automatic Advantage, meaning more auto-fire)
no Inaccurate

there are a bunch of house-ruled fixes for auto-fire, but the easiest one might be to just take it away from the HBR and the DLS-12 carbine.

Super86
Apr 20, 2016

PupsOfWar posted:

It really is

everything else with autofire is either:

a) weak enough on a per-hit basis that autofire is reasonable (the vrelt autopistol, the various subrepeating blasters like you mentioned)

b) some sort of big ordnance piece whose combination of expense/weight/conspicuousness/rarity means its deployment can be limited.

a lot of 'em also have Inaccurate.

the HBR meanwhile has
10 base damage
middling Rarity
3 cumbersome (easily reduced to 2 using one of the cheapest mods in the game, allowing it to be wielded by nearly anybody)
low cost
a bunch of hard points (which can be used to further boost the damage and add mods that grant automatic Advantage, meaning more auto-fire)
no Inaccurate

there are a bunch of house-ruled fixes for auto-fire, but the easiest one might be to just take it away from the HBR and the DLS-12 carbine.

I think it's perfectly reasonable to just remove auto-fire from the HBR. I see them as the SW equivalent of the 7.62mm assault rifles (FN-FAL, CETME C, HK G3, etc), and nobody expects to use them in full auto except in very close quarters. They fit more as a rifle for designated marksmen and the like, not for "gun and run" situations.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

About to start a new mini-campaign with two players who are pretty inexperienced with both RPGs and Star Wars (one has seen all of the films but nothing else, the other has only seen a couple of the films).

I am pretty confident the campaign itself will go well, once it get started. I am looking forward to the challenge of players who are new to the system and setting, as the players in my other campaign are old EU nerds and I think this has made my GMing lazier in various ways. Excited to strip everything down to the Space Opera essentials, forceably ignore all of the Star Wars-related dross I have accumulated over the years, etc. They seem excited to play.

What I'm worried about is character-creation.

This is a game with dozens of sourcebooks and hundreds of options that can potenetially be presented to players at character creation. Even if I restrict them to the CC options in the Edge of the Empire core book, that's still 8 species, 6 careers and 18 specializations, which is way more than they are used to dealing with. Previously they have played PBTA or micro-games that are designed for character creation to be over in five minutes.

Right now, my plan is to be conversational about it. They show up for Session 0, I ask them to think of broad ~premises for their character, I think about it for a few minutes and come back with species/spec suggestions, we talk about those suggestions and see if any of them seem particularly appealing, repeat as needed.

Anybody here have any experience doing character creation with super new players? Tips and tricks?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Are there concrete rules for crafting starships anywhere in the mountains of splatbooks? Or any kind of recognized homebrew for it? My group took control of a small Imperial fabrication facility last summer and the base's constructions facilities are now starting to come online.

I'd take the normal crafting rules, but I feel like building a goddamn starship is probably gonna be way more complicated than putting together a suit of armor from scrap metal or something.

PupsOfWar posted:

Anybody here have any experience doing character creation with super new players? Tips and tricks?

Your plan sounds like it would work well enough. I'd probably ask them beforehand what kind of character they were thinking about... most people will respond with some kind of archetype. You can then use that as a basis before Session 0 to put together a couple pre-gens for them, and then present it to them and have them pick the one they prefer.

Or just go with actual legit pre-gens right out the gate, though the knowledge that the characters were crafted for them by you will probably make it more special for them.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Drone posted:

Are there concrete rules for crafting starships anywhere in the mountains of splatbooks? Or any kind of recognized homebrew for it? My group took control of a small Imperial fabrication facility last summer and the base's constructions facilities are now starting to come online.

I'd take the normal crafting rules, but I feel like building a goddamn starship is probably gonna be way more complicated than putting together a suit of armor from scrap metal or something.

There are starship crafting rules in the upcoming splatbook Fully Operational (engineers sourcebook), which was due out in Fall 2017...and hasn't been heard from since Summer 2017. :bahgawd:

Best we can do right now is this article about what the ship crafting mechanics will hypothetically be like once we get them

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2017/5/3/built-to-spec/

PupsOfWar fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Jan 15, 2018

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Covok posted:

I've been listening to the Expounded Universe podcast, I now know about Ghostlings.

Wooo boy.

Coincidentally, here is my Ghostling homebrew.

Brawn: 1
Agility: 1
Intellect: 2
Willpower: 3
Charm: 3
Starting Experience: 120 XP
Wound Threshold: 8 + Brawn
Strain Threshold: 12 + Willpower
Special Abilities: Ghostlings start with one free rank in Charm. They may still not raise it above 2 during character creation.
Wispy: Cannot increase Brawn above 1.
What the gently caress?: If you ever gently caress a non-ghostling, you will be hosed to death. You also want to do this...for some reason. It's hosed up and I think you might be someone's fetish that they imported into Star Wars, but, Shrug, it's your life. Crystal Star is a bad book, what can I say?

Hah, this is awesome as hell. We're workshopping an F&D actual play show right now, and it's currently set in The Old Republic, but I have been pushing Jon and Quinn to set it in the Expanded Universe milieu for a while now.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Does anyone have the manual install files for the latest Oggdude char creator? The official link has exceeded its bandwidth.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

theironjef posted:

Hah, this is awesome as hell. We're workshopping an F&D actual play show right now, and it's currently set in The Old Republic, but I have been pushing Jon and Quinn to set it in the Expanded Universe milieu for a while now.

you know what u must do

playable homebrewed Codru-Ji and Firrereo

also, have you told Jon about Boba Fett's dumb bounty-hunter friend who had a cannon for a head

Machai posted:

Does anyone have the manual install files for the latest Oggdude char creator? The official link has exceeded its bandwidth.

I have the files for 2.2.0
is that current

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.
Also going to ask if someone can toss the ogg characer creator up on Dropbox or otherwise make it available; i'm going to be running a series of linked convention games this spring, and that'll make pregens much easier.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

PupsOfWar posted:

you know what u must do

playable homebrewed Codru-Ji and Firrereo

also, have you told Jon about Boba Fett's dumb bounty-hunter friend who had a cannon for a head

If I had my way we'd be visiting dumb stuff like Planet D'vaur and Holographic Fun World, playing as Codru-Ji and Ruurians, someone's a force-user from the weird tradition of Luke's original mom.

theironjef fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Jan 16, 2018

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

PupsOfWar posted:

I have the files for 2.2.0
is that current

2.2.1 is current, but that is still good. I would greatly appreciate if you could share them.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Machai posted:

2.2.1 is current, but that is still good. I would greatly appreciate if you could share them.

zip's big enough that it will take a while to upload on my terrible rural internet, will put it up tomorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Here's a zip of Oggdude's character creator version 2.2.0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cnqv5wb3i005yfk/SWEotECharGen.zip?dl=0

PupsOfWar fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Jan 17, 2018