Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Dr. Furious posted:

Are you sure it's not just a total waste of time?

That's impossible because my time is worthless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

treerat
Oct 4, 2005
up here so high i start to shake up here so high the sky i scrape

ChairMaster posted:

Do you seriously not understand the difference in a loss of scientific potential and a loss of stability of human civilization? Or are you just grasping at straws for a way to read my post incorrectly.

You don't have to answer that, it's definitely the latter. Stop being a dumb rear end in a top hat and just admit that you couldn't be bothered to read the whole post that you responded to in the first place.

The idea that destroying local natural environments only has local effects is loving retarded.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

ChairMaster posted:

Do you seriously not understand the difference in a loss of scientific potential and a loss of stability of human civilization? Or are you just grasping at straws for a way to read my post incorrectly.

You don't have to answer that, it's definitely the latter. Stop being a dumb rear end in a top hat and just admit that you couldn't be bothered to read the whole post that you responded to in the first place.

You are incorrect that losing the Amazon doesn't incur a potential loss of stability for human civilization.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
Guys, ChairMaster gets it. The problem is clearly that the patient is dying, not that he's bleeding out from a gaping gut wound. Priorities, okay?

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Trabisnikof posted:

You are incorrect that losing the Amazon doesn't incur a potential loss of stability for human civilization.

By all means enlighten me, do you believe that if we stopped emitting greenhouse gases at the cost of the destruction of the amazon rainforest, we would still be screwed?

e: also, to get back to the original point, do you people seriously believe that trying to rebrand climate change as "total ecological collapse" is going to inspire the action you still seem to think has a chance at saving the world? It seems pretty clear that it'd just make more people realize that it's too late and we're hosed regardless of what we do.

Conspiratiorist posted:

Guys, ChairMaster gets it. The problem is clearly that the patient is dying, not that he's bleeding out from a gaping gut wound. Priorities, okay?

You do realize that first priority in helping an injured patient is not a gut wound, it's clearing the airway? Fixing up their bleeding isn't going to matter much if they suffocated 20 minutes ago. We should focus on the airway first, is what I'm saying here.

ChairMaster fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Dec 13, 2017

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

ChairMaster posted:

We should focus on the airway first, is what I'm saying here.

And what I'm trying to say is, your attitude that we can "stop emitting greenhouse gases at the cost of the destruction of the amazon rainforest" is wrongheaded because this is all intractably linked. To mitigate the most climate harms we can we need to mitigate deforestation, mitigate ocean acidification, mitigate invasive species, etc. We lost the option to pick-and-choose when we let climate change get this bad.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Plasma torches are not as high energy as you might think but they don't scale very well. There has been some exciting research on metal / carbon Nano Spike catalysts that can electrolyze CO2 directly to ethanol.

Eddy-Baby
Mar 8, 2006

₤₤LOADSA MONAY₤₤

ChairMaster posted:

You're posting on the internet dude, your time has a carbon value

Your posts would continue to have an effect on the earth for a century even if nobody read them

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

ChairMaster posted:

By all means enlighten me, do you believe that if we stopped emitting greenhouse gases at the cost of the destruction of the amazon rainforest, we would still be screwed?

e: also, to get back to the original point, do you people seriously believe that trying to rebrand climate change as "total ecological collapse" is going to inspire the action you still seem to think has a chance at saving the world? It seems pretty clear that it'd just make more people realize that it's too late and we're hosed regardless of what we do.

You do realize that first priority in helping an injured patient is not a gut wound, it's clearing the airway? Fixing up their bleeding isn't going to matter much if they suffocated 20 minutes ago. We should focus on the airway first, is what I'm saying here.

You really love making up bad metaphors and overextending them to drum up your panic don't you?

Ganson
Jul 13, 2007
I know where the electrical tape is!

ChairMaster posted:

Actually it's a net negative due to your effect on the people around you.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
why are you all arguing with the massive red text sperg literally calling for environmental terrorism as they call you morons and not ignoring, reporting and moving on? they even said that they believe all discussion on the internet is "performative" and they're not going to change their minds, just double down and get angrier

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

It's especially bad that this crazy guy is calling for environmental terrorism, because right about now we need sane and persuasive people calling for environmental terrorism.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Trabisnikof posted:

And what I'm trying to say is, your attitude that we can "stop emitting greenhouse gases at the cost of the destruction of the amazon rainforest" is wrongheaded because this is all intractably linked. To mitigate the most climate harms we can we need to mitigate deforestation, mitigate ocean acidification, mitigate invasive species, etc. We lost the option to pick-and-choose when we let climate change get this bad.

Yea uh I obviously don't think that burning down the rainforest is gonna fix the climate, I dunno why you people are so unable to let go of this weird taking words out of context strategy you cling to. Trying to solve even the greenhouse gas issue is so outside of the realm of what we can accomplish in the societal structure we so adamantly refuse to let go of that worrying about anything smaller is just superfluous at this point.

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

You really love making up bad metaphors and overextending them to drum up your panic don't you?

I didn't make up that metaphor, do you have the guy I responded to on ignore or something? And like I said, re-branding climate change as total ecological collapse seems pretty clearly intended to just drum up panic. You're making the problem look bigger and even more impossible to change than it already is.

Autism Sneaks posted:

why are you all arguing with the massive red text sperg literally calling for environmental terrorism as they call you morons and not ignoring, reporting and moving on? they even said that they believe all discussion on the internet is "performative" and they're not going to change their minds, just double down and get angrier

Performative means it's for the benefit of the people who read it, not for the benefit of the people posting at each other. I'm not ever gonna convince any of these simpletons that nonviolent individual action is a waste of time, but like every other thread on the internet, for every person posting there's multiple people reading it. This thread has like 600k views and 10k posts.

Also my red text came form the canpol threads, you'd know better than to think it had any value if you knew any of the people who post there or how worthless and inept Canadians are in general.

ChairMaster fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Dec 14, 2017

Kindest Forums User
Mar 25, 2008

Let me tell you about my opinion about Bernie Sanders and why Donald Trump is his true successor.

You cannot vote Hillary Clinton because she is worse than Trump.
I got my avatar and text in the canada tbread for pointing out that Hillary Clinton wasnt receiving any criticism by Canadian media outlets during the election.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Arglebargle III posted:

Plasma torches are not as high energy as you might think but they don't scale very well. There has been some exciting research on metal / carbon Nano Spike catalysts that can electrolyze CO2 directly to ethanol.

Can these be injected into people? Asking for a friend.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Minge Binge posted:

I got my avatar and text in the canada tbread for pointing out that Hillary Clinton wasnt receiving any criticism by Canadian media outlets during the election.
Why is that remarkable?

Kindest Forums User
Mar 25, 2008

Let me tell you about my opinion about Bernie Sanders and why Donald Trump is his true successor.

You cannot vote Hillary Clinton because she is worse than Trump.
Canada is garbage. Duhh

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Minge Binge posted:

Goddamn they have some good press in Canada

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

His Divine Shadow posted:

Can these be injected into people? Asking for a friend.

Being an autofermenter is miserable and crippling, look it up!

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot
When people are buried in caskets, is the emissions from their decomposing corpses captured 6 feet under, or does it all find it’s way outside?

What about cremation? What’s the carbon footprint on that versus just dying face down in a ditch?

Is there anything interesting that could occur when the endless number of graveyards are flooded by climate
change?

Would it, eventually, far far into the future, be possible to harvest human graveyards for oil and natural gas?

Just a little death quiz to lighten the mood.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Arglebargle III posted:

Being an autofermenter is miserable and crippling, look it up!

that said I'm curious about what happens, in carbon sink terms, if a human imbibes ethanol produced from CO2

does it get reemitted as a gas? does waste processing or whatnot turn it into a gas?

Ganson
Jul 13, 2007
I know where the electrical tape is!

Gortarius posted:

Would it, eventually, far far into the future, be possible to harvest human graveyards for oil and natural gas?

2020 the world is powered by gasifiers fueled by fat people.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

GreyjoyBastard posted:

that said I'm curious about what happens, in carbon sink terms, if a human imbibes ethanol produced from CO2

does it get reemitted as a gas? does waste processing or whatnot turn it into a gas?

Humans can metabolize ethanol.

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

I lust in my heart for as many dead refugees as possible.
The fermentation process that produces ethanol emits CO2 and if you're drinking alcohol that's by far the primary carbon contributor. It's also nothing to worry about, a tiny part of cumulative human emissions.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Thug Lessons posted:

The fermentation process that produces ethanol emits CO2 and if you're drinking alcohol that's by far the primary carbon contributor. It's also nothing to worry about, a tiny part of cumulative human emissions.

The math: at 1.9 Billion Hectoliters of beer produced in 2016, with roughly 1.6kg of C02 produced per 20 liters brewed, this results in 167,551 tonnes of carbon emissions from beer production. Other liquor distillations may vary, this does not include extrinsic amounts in the supply chain such as carbon produced by packaging, distribution, houses burned down in wild benders, etc.

So yeah, actually a drop in the bucket.

In climate news:
A city in Alaska is warming so fast, algorithms removed the data because it seemed unreal

Rime fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Dec 15, 2017

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

GreyjoyBastard posted:

It's converted to acetaldehyde and then converted to acetate and from there is picked up by CoA and enters electron transport. It is a pretty good source of calories.

It's a pretty good rule of thumb that bioavailable carbon you ingest leaves your body as carbon dioxide. When it leaves your body, if it's used to build something it could stick around for a few years. And then it could leave as urine in another form. But mammals are pretty fuel hungry I bet the majority goes out as CO2.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Dec 16, 2017

treerat
Oct 4, 2005
up here so high i start to shake up here so high the sky i scrape

Minge Binge posted:

You consistently come up with the most amusingly bizarre tangents and non sequiturs.

Wakko
Jun 9, 2002
Faboo!
Just popping in to share some light eco-fiction. Happy holidays all!!

An Incomplete Timeline of What We Tried

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

Wakko posted:

:smith:

StabbinHobo
Oct 18, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

quote:

Suicide incentives for those of a certain age.

now theres a patreon i'm down for

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Wakko posted:

I think something is missing from that list...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owI7DOeO_yg

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Wakko posted:

Geoengineering attempts seem like they come in pretty late in that timeline.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

Conspiratiorist posted:

Geoengineering attempts seem like they come in pretty late in that timeline.

True story: on a block in my city, there is graffiti spelling out "GOONS" on the side of a pizza place as well as a concrete roadblock defaced with "GEOENGINEERING IS MURDER" in green paint, where they have been for years now.

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Rime posted:

The math: at 1.9 Billion Hectoliters of beer produced in 2016, with roughly 1.6kg of C02 produced per 20 liters brewed, this results in 167,551 tonnes of carbon emissions from beer production. Other liquor distillations may vary, this does not include extrinsic amounts in the supply chain such as carbon produced by packaging, distribution, houses burned down in wild benders, etc.

So yeah, actually a drop in the bucket.

In climate news:
A city in Alaska is warming so fast, algorithms removed the data because it seemed unreal

Is this Thug Lessons guy the new Arkane?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

white sauce posted:

Is this Thug Lessons guy the new Arkane?

Thug is very different from Arkane. Frustrating all the same, but Thug does a good job of walking a middle ground, like, Third Way on climate change policy and outlook interpretation that I've yet to meet literally any climate change scientist even come close to adopting or even accept as remotely valid.

I even get "That's a new one" from climate scientists in chats about awareness and education, so Thug is possibly even original in a lot of his arguments.

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Dec 18, 2017

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Thug is a pedantic rear end but his views are very different from Arkane's, who was for all intents and purposes an oil company shill.

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Climate change is real but it's too late to do anything about it :grin:

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Thug Lessons plainly states the scientific consensus and it makes the threads usual gang of misanthropes and aspiring suicides insanely mad because it's not consistent with the apocalypse necessitated by their ugly teleological perspective on history.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

As a native of a third world, sea-level backwater with a dying economy that's sinking faster than the land into the sea, I'm not speaking in hyperbole when I say the region won't make it to the end of the century.

I reserve the right to be apocalyptic in regards to the fate of my countrymen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Conspiratiorist posted:

As a native of a third world, sea-level backwater with a dying economy that's sinking faster than the land into the sea, I'm not speaking in hyperbole when I say the region won't make it to the end of the century.

I reserve the right to be apocalyptic in regards to the fate of my countrymen.

Well then given the seriousness of your position you should appreciate Thug lessons' willingness to take the surprisingly controversial position that actually America and Western Europe shouldn't let you die/actively facilitate your death alongside the rest of the third world.