Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I've been having shoulder issues and got diagnosed with a "frozen shoulder", never heard of it until now but it is a thing and the only thing that fixes it is intense physical therapy which I just recently started. I have never been through this much pain in my life, gently caress me.

Full recovery is predicted to be anywhere from 6 months to 3 years :smithicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Not an upright but...
My wife just snagged a Dyson V8 from QVC for $450 with all the attachments and it's loving fantastic.
She doesn't empty it either. EVER. However she does vacuum everything all the time. So I just make sure the container is empty and she does the rest. It's a pretty good system.

After a year of living with my now-wife, my Dyson DC07 started making an awful racket and I finally broke down and bought a Dyson head-repair kit which worked flawlessly. You have no IDEA how much hair I pulled out of the bearings on the roller. It was insane. Thing runs like a top now, too.

Not sure how the V8 is set up, but just an FYI.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I took a chance on a factory refurbished Dyson cordless even though our 11 year old cylinder was working fine.
1/ You can't tell it's a refurb
2/ it gets used multiple times daily just because of how easy it is to pick up. Balls to cords.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Applebees Appetizer posted:

I've been having shoulder issues and got diagnosed with a "frozen shoulder", never heard of it until now but it is a thing and the only thing that fixes it is intense physical therapy which I just recently started. I have never been through this much pain in my life, gently caress me.

Full recovery is predicted to be anywhere from 6 months to 3 years :smithicide:

Yeah, my mom got that over a year ago and is still recovering. But she has been making incremental progress.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

BraveUlysses posted:

Thank you spotify for randomly deleting like 20gb of downloaded music off my phone without warning

Mine has done that 3 or 4 times now over the last 5+ years that i have been using spotify for. Each time I have discovered that it has done it as i settle into my seat before a long journey and try to play some music. Enjoy getting it to sync it all back up.

cakesmith handyman posted:

I took a chance on a factory refurbished Dyson cordless even though our 11 year old cylinder was working fine.
1/ You can't tell it's a refurb
2/ it gets used multiple times daily just because of how easy it is to pick up. Balls to cords.

Everybody please stop giving James Dyson money. Hes a twat.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Siochain posted:

ps - get some Corydora's, they're cute as poo poo and hell fun.

Corys will definitely be in there. Always liked the little buggers, plus they keep it a lot cleaner.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

kimbo305 posted:

Yeah, my mom got that over a year ago and is still recovering. But she has been making incremental progress.

Does she still have pain or just limited movement? I can deal with the flexibility issue, it's just the non stop pain that's wearing me down. Supposedly it goes through phases and the pain stops eventually but idk, it's probably different for everyone.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Liquid Communism posted:

Yup. It's why I got rid of my Prime. Got tired of paying for two day delivery that showed up about the same speed as their 4 day.

Pay for prime?
Just complain everytime something is late, you'll get at least an extra free month. Mine is set to expire in july 2018 and I haven't paid amazon for prime since at least 2015.
Yes, this does mean that some packages have been late, but free streaming.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Corys will definitely be in there. Always liked the little buggers, plus they keep it a lot cleaner.

Drop a couple cherry bombs and black cats in there too, really livens up the tank

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!
Well that was the easiest job search ever. Fired a week ago, job offer today. Location I wanted (100mi move) and a 20% raise. "Interview" was lunch at a sports bar.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Tomarse posted:

Everybody please stop giving James Dyson money. Hes a twat.

This

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

ilkhan posted:

Well that was the easiest job search ever. Fired a week ago, job offer today. Location I wanted (100mi move) and a 20% raise. "Interview" was lunch at a sports bar.

what did you do to get fired

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!

BraveUlysses posted:

what did you do to get fired
Customer complained that I didn't know an obscure thing about their network off the top of my head for a meeting with them. Customer was already a known oval office but they made noise about leaving as clients over it.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
We've had our Dyson for going on 10 years now and have spent a total of 35 bucks on repairs. Works as well as the day we bought it.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

So, Star Wars was good. Lots of twists and turns. I never really knew what was going to happen, in a good way. Finally some nice technique with Force+lightsaber. Definitely enjoyed it.

Powershift posted:

My youngest nephew absolutely refuses to watch anything on TV.

That would be a good thing if he wasn't glued to an ipad blasting youtube junk every waking hour.

Kids these days, i tell ya.

My 16-year-old daughter will watch TV, and Netflix, and that's fine. I actually like most of the stuff she watches (anime...) It's the screaming idiots on YT that get to me, too. I mean literally screaming, to the point of clipping the mic signal. I have no loving clue what she is watching. I'm pretty sure I don't want to know. I just tell her to turn it down when I can hear it through the damned door (she uses earbuds most of the time, but she has it on speaker while taking a bath. Yeah. Yes, she's dunked the phone. No, she didn't get a new one.)

IOwnCalculus posted:

Jesus, Amazon is utterly failing at getting things to me on-time lately. I realize not all of this is on them, but a lot of it is...

I've got one package I ordered early last week with two-day delivery (Prime). They waited two days to send it, and then shipped it UPS second day air.

Another is one of those USPS-as-last-mile deals. It was at the post office literally across the street at midnight. 3AM, it was then scanned at a post office 120 miles away in the middle of nowhere.

My wife ordered 2-day Prime stuff over a week ago, for a party on last Friday, that hasn't shown up yet. She's chatted with them twice, got a $5 GC, and assurances that the order was in the last stage of shipping the first time, then an offer to refund and cancel the part that wasn't going to make it the second time. Everything that was ordered was sold and shipped via Amazon, so no third party shenanigans. Amazon's really hosed up their logistics this year, apparently.
They've actually not failed me before this. For one thing, we have two major Amazon locations in the area (Dallas/Fort Worth.)

The Midniter posted:

After a year of living with my now-wife, my Dyson DC07 started making an awful racket and I finally broke down and bought a Dyson head-repair kit which worked flawlessly. You have no IDEA how much hair I pulled out of the bearings on the roller. It was insane. Thing runs like a top now, too.

Not sure how the V8 is set up, but just an FYI.

That reminds me that I have a DC07 that I need to get a new hose (tear in the vinyl, currently taped. Works but ugly) and roller drive belts for. Pulled it out of the neighbor's trash. These were the folks who have no idea how to care for anything. She (or he, possibly) obviously vacuumed up wet stuff with it. I had to clean mud out of the poor thing. And I bet they threw it away because it didn't pick up well - because the beater bar isn't spinning. They also broke the catch on the bottom door of the hopper, but you can deal with that. May 3D print a new one when I have a 3D printer.

No tools, but I bet I can sell it for $50-100 after I fix it.

ilkhan posted:

Good for you! Now go piss in the client's and your previous employer's ficus trees. I know you want to. I still want to go take a dump on my former host's CIO's desk, and the desk of the spineless HR manager of my outsourcing company who wouldn't defend me against them.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Darchangel posted:

Good for you! Now go piss in the client's and your previous employer's ficus trees. I know you want to. I still want to go take a dump on my former host's CIO's desk, and the desk of the spineless HR manager of my outsourcing company who wouldn't defend me against them.
Nope. They gave me a fat severance and a glowing letter of recommendation. No complaints on them.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

:siren: Two days left to get your answers in for the Sheep Game! :siren:

We currently sit at 47 players, which is 13 short of my stated goal of 60 players. We can do it, AI!

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Oldest daughter came home with requirements for the science fair project we have to complete.

....Why don't people sell their kids old projects on craigslist or eBay? Cause I looked. Dark web maybe?

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Who assigns projects like that the week before Christmas? Sheesh.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

It's due in mid-January, but yes I agree.

I think that an experiment that the whole class participates in, would be a lot more educational than these questionable experiments that probably get mostly completed by the parents.

Oh also here comes another fund raiser....

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Your mission is now to give them reason to have to update both the project rules and the school's health and safety guidelines.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

3-0

HAHAHAHA England. It's going to be 5-0 by Sydney's end

An England team playing a sport collapsing you say?

Of course there are probably 5 people in AI who know what you are referring to.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

You should post the results on the effects of methane on the human psyche in a confined space.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

But where could we find a source of reliable, consistent methane production

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

InitialDave posted:

Your mission is now to give them reason to have to update both the project rules and the school's health and safety guidelines.

Speaking of, I'm actually quite proud of this one, I'm the reason why my highschool physics "catapult" project had some time changes for the following years.

Basic premise was build a medieval style siege weapon that would shoot a golf ball at a Fisher price castle at the end of the gym, you'd get points based on how close your ball landed to castle and you got multiple tries and your scores were additive.

Most people used a catapult or trebuchet design that would lob the golf ball. No, not me. I used a hatra ballista design.

I used 5 or 6 foot 2x6 planks for the top and bottom to give a sense of scale for this thing and I wound it so tight that it began splintering by the end of testing. For the first test shot, I aimed a little high underestimating with how much force this thing would shoot the ball. It propelled it directly into the new score board and punched a hole into it. Whoops. Shooting at the castle was just absolute overkill, took the little plastic drawbridge right out.

The following year the golf ball was replaced by a soft bean bag and a parabolic trajectory was a requirement of the designs.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Ours was "projectile launcher" at a target on the floor, with no specified type of projectile. So we shot arrows.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
I built a 7.5kV Jacob's Ladder in grade 5 for science fair. Most kids did shadowbox solar systems. Still have it and it still works but my choice in electrode material (cheese grade soft steel) means it only runs for a minute or so before poo poo's too corroded. I got 1st place for it. :smug:

If you don't know what a Jacob's Ladder is wrt electronics, it's one of the earliest forms of electric light and something you'd see in a mad scientist's lab in old horror movies. YouTube it.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Queen_Combat fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Dec 26, 2017

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
It's probably my favourite science fair project.

In HS I built a prototype battlebot showcasing different methods of how to prevent a wedge (most-common design at the time) from being effective. It had basically the opposite of a hovercraft for one system and some really powerful electromagnets wired to a car battery charger and I freaked a teacher out when I announced that 6A at 12v was harmless and grabbed a terminal with each hand. I ended up going to state with it and won a $100 from NASA cause they liked the idea of using electromagnets to secure objects to ferrous surfaces.

The guy who won state that year figured out how to take x-ray pictures with a digital camera and I felt no shame in losing to him cause it was cool as gently caress.

Fermented Tinal fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Dec 19, 2017

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
You guys wanna see something hilarious?

A friend of mine was invited to a Chinese themed birthday party. And someone thought it was a good idea to post these pictures visible to the public.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

whitepeople.jpg

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
I want to show those to my sister-in-law to see how she reacts.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
imnotracistbut.jpg

I think I'm mostly surprised no one is pulling back on their eyes.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Not all that far from what I'd expect from an American-themed party in China, tbh. Not everyone is racist, but everyone sure is dumb.

That said, I'm the katana.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
This is the same friend who turned his G37 into a "GTR" a few years ago. He's so nice but jesus christ this makes him look dumb.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

Not all that far from what I'd expect from an American-themed party in China, tbh. Not everyone is racist, but everyone sure is dumb.

That said, I'm the katana.

I’m the nunchuks

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
If you don't watch bigclive, you should.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYQqCw_Bk-0

Skip to the end if you want a big suprize. Nearly spit my drink out.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

ExplodingSims posted:

You should post the results on the effects of methane on the human psyche in a confined space.

angryrobots posted:

But where could we find a source of reliable, consistent methane production

:getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Rhyno posted:

You guys wanna see something hilarious?

A friend of mine was invited to a Chinese themed birthday party. And someone thought it was a good idea to post these pictures visible to the public.

A guy who bottoms horses as the governor? Seems great, said the fine citizens of Indiana, well known for their exceptionally good decision making skills

• Locked thread