Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
You guys are this close to demanding paper bag tests, don't stop now!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Whitlam posted:

Also, fun fact, Meghan and Prince Harry have a shared ancestor (from like the 1500s but whatever).

Is that not quite far enough that almost everyone has a shared ancestor from those days?

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.

Jerry Cotton posted:

Is that not quite far enough that almost everyone has a shared ancestor from those days?

Probably, but I think most people would struggle to trace their ancestry back that far. Mainly I just think it's kind of cool because I'm a genealogy nerd.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Jerry Cotton posted:

It's almost as if what anglophones call race is a social construct :thunk:

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Queen_Combat has a new favorite as of 22:12 on Dec 26, 2017

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
How could you ignore Jerry Cotton???

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Randaconda posted:

How could you ignore Jerry Cotton???

There's a button for it on my profile page. Hope this helps!

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jerry Cotton posted:

There's a button for it on my profile page. Hope this helps!

:golfclap:

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
I just realized that when Ricky Ricardo said Lucy had some splaining to do, or said she was specting when she was pregnant, that was hypercorrection because Spanish has a bunch of words that start with es that start with just s in English, like estupido.... or español

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm

Jerry Cotton posted:

Yeah, pretty much everyone with a European ancestor is descended from English royalty. And Genghis Khan. And Mohammed. And...

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

InediblePenguin posted:

I just realized that when Ricky Ricardo said Lucy had some splaining to do, or said she was specting when she was pregnant, that was hypercorrection because Spanish has a bunch of words that start with es that start with just s in English, like estupido.... or español

That makes sense, in Spanish you always put an e in front when the word starts with s + another consonant. They pronounce ska 'eska'

Hispanic! At The Disco
Dec 25, 2011

InediblePenguin posted:

I just realized that while Star Trek claims the first interracial kiss (Kirk and Uhura), they were produced by DesiLu studios and Desi Arnaz And Luclille Ball kissed long before Star Trek even hit the air.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Hispanic! At The Disco posted:

I just realized that while Star Trek claims the first interracial kiss (Kirk and Uhura), they were produced by DesiLu studios and Desi Arnaz And Luclille Ball kissed long before Star Trek even hit the air.

White Hispanic is a thing though

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

No they specifically weren't allowed to kiss because Desi wasn't considered white. The show's producer said to Lucy: "Nobody will believe you are married to this whop."

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Cyrano de Bergerac was an actual dude in IRL life.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Two things in video games that took me way past their prime to realize:

- Tail's real name in Sonic 2, Miles Prower, is a take on Miles Per Hour.

- TIE Fighter: in an early segment of the game, you bring a peace treaty between two alien races, the Dimoks and the Ripoblus. Aka Democrats and Republicans.

Both of these realizations came long after I had since played them, then randomly floated into my head with a "holy poo poo how did I not put 2 and 2 together".

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Jerry Cotton posted:

in IRL life.

WHYYYYYY

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

It’s like second life but sqrt(-1)

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Phy posted:

WHYYYYYY

:troll:

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Jerry Cotton posted:

Cyrano de Bergerac was an actual dude in IRL life.

I bet he’d the type of person who’d forget their PIN number at the ATM machine.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

How is The TTP Project these days?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Helith posted:

I bet he’d the type of person who’d forget their PIN number at the ATM machine.

You mean their personal PIN number :smugmrgw:

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Jerry Cotton posted:

You mean their personal PIN number :smugmrgw:

Yes, my personal PIN identification ID number

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

InediblePenguin posted:

Or it's becuase he has an accent as English isn't his first language...EXplaining.

rodbeard posted:

No they specifically weren't allowed to kiss because Desi wasn't considered white. The show's producer said to Lucy: "Nobody will believe you are married to this whop."

Lucy and Desi also slept in separate beds, like every other married couple on TV. The first couple to be shown sharing a bed was Fred & Wilma Flinstone

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Ferrule posted:

Or it's becuase he has an accent as English isn't his first language...EXplaining.

I gather that's what InediblePenguin meant, hypercorrection can easily apply to speaking second languages. Since the character's used to removing the e- from es- words when speaking English, he ends up doing it in cases where he shouldn't, even in the case of ex-.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

Powaqoatse posted:

I gather that's what InediblePenguin meant, hypercorrection can easily apply to speaking second languages. Since the character's used to removing the e- from es- words when speaking English, he ends up doing it in cases where he shouldn't, even in the case of ex-.

It's a pronunciation thing, not a syntax thing. He's not replacing letters in his head because of rules of his language.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
please look up the Wikipedia article on hypercorrection, section: English as a second language.

quote:

Some English-Spanish cognates primarily differ by beginning with "s" vs. "es", such as the English word "spectacular" and the Spanish word "espectacular". A native Spanish speaker may conscientiously hypercorrect for the word "establish" by writing or saying "stablish", which is archaic.

That's exactly what I meant and I honestly don't understand your objection.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!
Just like Arnold on Happy Days.

Mr Havafap
Mar 27, 2005

The wurst kind of sausage

Phy posted:

WHYYYYYY

That bother you?
I personally could care less.

NAG
Jul 13, 2009

I first played Maniac Mansion on the NES over 20 years ago.

I never understood what the deal was with the easel in the foreground. I thought it was actually shown with its back to the viewer, hence the extra wood paneling in the middle.

The viewer is actually seeing the front of the easel. The artist was painting a depiction of the crate in the corner of the room, presumably with the purple meteor placed on top of it (hence the slime trace from the crate to the door, and circular, unfinished object on painting).

Its more obvious in the original version:

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Forums user Kilometers Davis is a play on Miles Davis

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Henchman of Santa posted:

Forums user Kilometers Davis is a play on Miles Davis

son of a bitch

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Busy Phillips is an actor, a lady and not a old black man that plays jazz.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Inzombiac posted:

Busy Phillips is an actor, a lady and not a old black man that plays jazz.

How...?

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

I was hiding in the dumbwaiter!

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Busy Phillips sounds way more like the name of an old black jazzman than a blonde actress

om nom nom
Jul 23, 2011

om nom nom nom nom nom nom
Grimey Drawer

rodbeard posted:

The slur is just "wop", it originated as an acronym for "with out papers".

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Um actually it's a bastardization of the Italian word "guappo" which basically means "pimp".

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

:wom: but wop

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

om nom nom posted:

The slur is just "wop", it originated as an acronym for "with out papers".

Thread title strikes again.