Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

cat doter posted:

the talos principle is imo the perfect counterpoint to the witness and a far superior game at that, anyone curious about the witness should just get talos instead

The Talos Principle is awesome and thanks so much for reminding me I never played the DLC!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben

Hbomberguy posted:

The Talos Principle is awesome and thanks so much for reminding me I never played the DLC!

Finish your Christmas Day DLSoy already!

Yes I know it's January now, why don't you get MacArthur to sue me :v:

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Seeing a McIntosh tweet where they're being a huge stick in the mud over nothing just isn't surprising anymore. Their meltdown-y tweets over the reveal of DOOM will always be ridiculous at least.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Max Wilco posted:

I'm tempted to tweet at him and ask him if he could give me a list of things that aren't fascist, but I figure he would just block me.

Then again, he might actually do it, and then I would just regret asking in the first place.

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.
The Song Crimes Christmas Spectacular is here, featuring The Twelve Days of Christmas, Christmas Shoes, I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Clause, and Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer.

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Web Developer for phelous.com dot com.

Playstation 4 posted:

Finish your Christmas Day DLSoy already!

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

This would make for a good parody account tbh

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Yardbomb posted:

Seeing a McIntosh tweet where they're being a huge stick in the mud over nothing just isn't surprising anymore. Their meltdown-y tweets over the reveal of DOOM will always be ridiculous at least.

Oh, I didn't realize he had a 'reputation' I have trouble watching some shows when they get awkward because of second-hand embarrassment so I didn't think he was saying anything that outrageous.

New Butt Order
Jun 20, 2017

On one hand, there are people who honestly believe that Mao had even the vaguest idea of how to run a country and those people should be shamed forever. On the other hand, this dude is a huge idiot. DILEMMA.

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Web Developer for phelous.com dot com.

Calico Heart posted:

Hi everyone, I thought I'd throw my hat into the ring here. This is my first video essay about the film A Ghost Story and how it uses aspect ration, literal temporal editing and meticulous framing to create a sombre and uneasy tone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ua1M-i8XXIY

I'd appreciate any feedback/advice immensely. If this isn't the best place to post this, my bad. Any likes/comments/subs (gasp) would go a really long way. Lemme know what y'all think!

Good start. You've got a great speaking voice, and the pacing is good and even. The editing of the clips matches what you're saying pretty well, and the sound balance between voice + music sounded good enough in earphones.

I'd introduce the thesis and get into some concrete examples a bit sooner. It wasn't until 40 seconds in that you brought up the question "how to ghosts see the world?". It's an excellent hook. Personally, I'd lead with it. Keep in mind some people may just be flipping through videos, and if you don't catch them in, like, 5 seconds, they might be gone. You can pretty much reverse the order you present your info-nuggets to draw people into the video. ie: "How do ghosts see the world? And how uneasy and sombre would it be for us, the living, to see it that way? Can something unknowable even be done? The film A GHOST STORY..."

After you've introduced the question, get into answering / exploring it quicker. From :40 ~ 4:11, the time is spent mostly on how the movie looks-- aspect ratio, framing, etc. All excellent stuff, but it did leave me wondering "what's the point of this-- how does this tie back into the thesis". In the end it all ties together, but it went on for so long that it felt like the video would just be a "what" video-- hmm-- by that I mean you'd just be describing WHAT the movie does technically, and not WHY it supports your thesis. A couple of extra lines to keep the train-of-thought on track would be good.

5:05 is an EXCELLENT example of doing it right. This is where you talk about using a standard editing cut to actually show a huge temporal edit in the time. You explain the technique, and instantly associate with with your thesis-- about how it shows how Ghost Dad sees the world differently, even though the simple act of turning around SHOULD be a normal thing with results tied to human-expectations (ie: it takes you 2 seconds to turn around, time should only have moved 2 seconds).

The only time your cadence and pace breaks is when you talk about the nihilistic guy. You slip out of narrator/presenter voice, and it almost sounds like you're going to start one of those "pretend to talk to someone offscreen saying really? REALLY? Is this a thing?"-- which was a bit jarring given the pace and tone of the rest of the video. There's nothing wrong with humorous asides-- even tone-jarring ones if they're appropriate-- but I feel they'd work better keeping a consistent tone. (ie: Shaun_And_Jen's very dry delivery of humor).

A word of praise on the consistent tone though-- you've managed to find a way of talking slowly, calmly and consistently without sounding monotone. That's really hard to do, so kudos.

Assuming your work is scripted, keep an eye out for "um" words-- usually they're qualifiers that would work if you were talking off the cuff, but otherwise come off as diminishing or undermining your authority. Sorry, didn't note the timecodes, but there's a couple times where you say "a good point, *I THINK*, is something". You can drop "I think", and just state the point. Unless it's something extremely contentious, or something that needs extra qualifications, you don't really need to state anything like "I think" or "just my opinion". It's an opinion piece by default. Same goes for "Honestly...".

Overall: good job. Did not make my ears bleed; I didn't cringe; my faith in humanity is still in-tact; and you made it through a whole 8 minute video without uttering a single racial slur. You've cleared some very high Youtube bars!

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Normal people discovering Phil Greaves is funny as hell

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

RareAcumen posted:

Oh, I didn't realize he had a 'reputation' I have trouble watching some shows when they get awkward because of second-hand embarrassment so I didn't think he was saying anything that outrageous.

If it was anyone else it'd just be a "I get it I guess" statement, but they've said some groanworthy junk before so that stuff always sounds high horsey coming from them I suppose.

https://twitter.com/radicalbytes/status/610299196621479936

:rolleyes:

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

delete all video games

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Btw, PopArena, no idea if someone has liked it yet, but The Hero and the Crown - The Lies of Myth is an great video! Reminds me of FoldableHuman's Thermian Argument episode. People treating fictional history as objectively true is a pet peeve of mine, so it is always nice to see it addressed, even if it isn't the sole focus of your video.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Yardbomb posted:

If it was anyone else it'd just be a "I get it I guess" statement, but they've said some groanworthy junk before so that stuff always sounds high horsey coming from them I suppose.

https://twitter.com/radicalbytes/status/610299196621479936

:rolleyes:

you know what, I'm gonna defend this. A game expo recently showed off an arena demo of David Cage's Detroit game where the audience got to shout out the choices they want and all. Detroit is a game about (clumsy) metaphor for humanity and race relations involving robots and cops and poo poo, it's terrible David Cage writing but the analogy is clear.

They get to a place where the choice is something like 'forgive' or 'execute' an unarmed, surrendered, robot while playing as a cop, and the entire clip is an arena full of gamers shouting "EXECUTE" and hooting and hollering when the cop guns down the robot for making him mad.

Like, no Tipper Gore wasn't loving right with 'games make people into killers!!!!' poo poo but we DO have an incredibly violent culture in general and kinda stepping back and looking at how we treat ALL media involving those themes can actually be really disturbing. Macintosh is an rear end in a top hat but he was actually 100% right that as great as it was Doom selling itself originally as "YEA BLOODY GUTS RIP AND TEAR CHAINSAW A GUY IN HALF AND STOMP HIS SKULL IN" was kinda gross.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

sexpig by night posted:

Macintosh is an rear end in a top hat but he was actually 100% right that as great as it was Doom selling itself originally as "YEA BLOODY GUTS RIP AND TEAR CHAINSAW A GUY IN HALF AND STOMP HIS SKULL IN" was kinda gross.

It was actually great

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
things can both be cool and a gross statement of a culture's values, those can both be things.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Gore is FTW

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

sexpig by night posted:

They get to a place where the choice is something like 'forgive' or 'execute' an unarmed, surrendered, robot while playing as a cop, and the entire clip is an arena full of gamers shouting "EXECUTE" and hooting and hollering when the cop guns down the robot for making him mad.

I'd wager almost 100% this is because it was a David Cage game and people just want to make dumb things happen and marvel at the hamfisted writing. It wasn't a bunch of people being bloodthirsty, it was a bunch of people going "lol pick the stupid option" because that's why you play Cage's games.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

sexpig by night posted:

you know what, I'm gonna defend this. A game expo recently showed off an arena demo of David Cage's Detroit game where the audience got to shout out the choices they want and all. Detroit is a game about (clumsy) metaphor for humanity and race relations involving robots and cops and poo poo, it's terrible David Cage writing but the analogy is clear.

Like, no Tipper Gore wasn't loving right with 'games make people into killers!!!!' poo poo but we DO have an incredibly violent culture in general and kinda stepping back and looking at how we treat ALL media involving those themes can actually be really disturbing. Macintosh is an rear end in a top hat but he was actually 100% right that as great as it was Doom selling itself originally as "YEA BLOODY GUTS RIP AND TEAR CHAINSAW A GUY IN HALF AND STOMP HIS SKULL IN" was kinda gross.

Or, it's a game with branching routes and they might be planning to go with the kinder approach in their own playthrough so what the hell let's see the bad path now :shrug:.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

sexpig by night posted:

How else would you sell Doom?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Yardbomb posted:

I'd wager almost 100% this is because it was a David Cage game and people just want to make dumb things happen and marvel at the hamfisted writing. It wasn't a bunch of people being bloodthirsty, it was a bunch of people going "lol pick the stupid option" because that's why you play Cage's games.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Or, it's a game with branching routes and they might be planning to go with the kinder approach in their own playthrough so what the hell let's see the bad path now :shrug:.

I mean, they were cheering and poo poo about it and clearly genuinely excited to see some rando get blasted to the point where the presenter was even laughing and say 'I knew you'd want that' but yea I'm sure it was all irony, not like a room full of mostly middle class americans could have a hosed up perspective on police violence or anything.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

sexpig by night posted:

I mean, they were cheering and poo poo about it and clearly genuinely excited to see some rando get blasted to the point where the presenter was even laughing and say 'I knew you'd want that' but yea I'm sure it was all irony, not like a room full of mostly middle class americans could have a hosed up perspective on police violence or anything.

Nobody is going to take a david cage game seriously

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
America elected Donald Trump and acquits murderer cops on the regular. I think pretending the majority of the population dosen't lust for humiliation and violent retribution in almost all the "mainstream" media we consume is naive. People cheered for that scene because they obviously wanted to see a simulated execution on a huge screen.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Hoo boy.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Andrast posted:

Exactly this. I mean even watching the most mild-mannered people I know play David Cage games, they pick and do the stupid or crazy things because David Cage is an awful writer and the real fun is in making his games hit that train wreck mark even faster.

Max Wilco posted:

How else would you sell Doom?

Also yeah, selling DOOM on "Blast the poo poo out of some demons!" has literally always been it's bag.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Problem is violence and gore owns

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Andrast posted:

Yardbomb posted:

Exactly this. I mean even watching the most mild-mannered people I know play David Cage games, they pick and do the stupid or crazy things because David Cage is an awful writer and the real fun is in making his games hit that train wreck mark even faster.

you...know there's a difference between 'haha fail this QTE to see how dumb the result is' and "FUCKIN KILL 'IM" right? Like, if you saw people cheering and clapping over a dude purposely failing that weird rapey fight scene in Heavy Rain you'd probably not assume 'oh right everyone is doing an irony' right? You'd know that cheering is a weird reaction to that?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I kinda love that when Kyle did a video on fascism in films that ended by pointing out that regardless of quality the action/super hero story of 'brave maverick breaks societies rules and who cares if they're a bit rough or harsh about it THEY'RE RIGHT drat IT' has fascist undertones even in the best cases it was pretty well agreed that that's a genre issue but of course a thing about vidya games has to be 'no no when they were clapping and cheering for 'SHOOT THE PERP, COP, WHOOOOO' they were just fuckin around it's cool'.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I personally feel DOOM should be marketed more on it's charnel atmosphere, sick demons, and badass pentagrams and less on the lame meme'y "blood guts rargh" slapstick violence, but that's just because of my lifelong commitment to evil.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

I mean of course an audience is going to shout for the choice that involves something happening on the screen, especially when it's a scene from gaming's answer to Ed Wood only without the crossdressing. I hardly think that's indicative of anything beyond "Hey, we're here and we want to see things happen". There isn't even the remotest chance of literally any audience in the world in that situation shouting "FORGIVE! CLEMENCY!!!" when asked what they want to see. I really don't think it runs that deep.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

sexpig by night posted:

I kinda love that when Kyle did a video on fascism in films that ended by pointing out that regardless of quality the action/super hero story of 'brave maverick breaks societies rules and who cares if they're a bit rough or harsh about it THEY'RE RIGHT drat IT' has fascist undertones even in the best cases it was pretty well agreed that that's a genre issue but of course a thing about vidya games has to be 'no no when they were clapping and cheering for 'SHOOT THE PERP, COP, WHOOOOO' they were just fuckin around it's cool'.

Yeah that's only controversial if you get defensive at the idea that any media imparts authoritarian social values.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Yardbomb posted:

Also yeah, selling DOOM on "Blast the poo poo out of some demons!" has literally always been it's bag.

See also: Wolfenstein 3D

Actually, that reminds me of something:

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

A Gnarlacious Bro posted:

I personally feel DOOM should be marketed more on it's charnel atmosphere, sick demons, and badass pentagrams and less on the lame meme'y "blood guts rargh" slapstick violence, but that's just because of my lifelong commitment to evil.

You mean like how the original box art posted to prove how violent and gory Doom was actually was a dude bloodlessly firing his guns on a mountain of badass demons? Heh, looks like someone doesn't 'get' Doom...

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm literally the person that says people don't get the original DOOM all the time lol

I was referring more to Brutal DOOM and the DOOM remake

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea I was mainly just joking that in the attempt to talk about how these games have ALWAYS been gorefests people are posting incredibly tame video game covers that were extremely sanitized to get shelf space and tend to just be 'dude fires rifle into air' rather than the trailer of cutting a guy in half as blood splatters on your face and kicking his teeth in.

e: actually half trolling half serious confession: doom 3 was a better attempt to remake doom than the newest Doom even if the newest Doom was a far superior game.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Max Wilco posted:

Actually, that reminds me of something:

This is one of those things where, like... yeah, the words he's saying are right. But he's entirely missing the context.

Wolfenstein II is not a game about defeating institutional racism with a machine gun. It's a game about a literal guerrilla war against an occupying foreign army. It does, in fact, address topics of institutional racism, and does, in fact, acknowledge that the Nazis didn't invent it and defeating them won't end it. And yet, even with all of that being true, it's still worth getting rid of the occupying army, and you ain't going to do that non-violently.

In theory, I'm cool with more games turning to less violent gameplay. If nothing else, it leads to creativity--if you have to interact with a game in ways that don't involve pointing and shooting with a gun or hacking and slashing, that opens the way for more creative gameplay. I'm thinking of games like Pyre, which tells a pretty high-stakes story about a completely non-violent conflict. Granted, it's still an action game, but using sports instead of combat, and that means it isn't necessarily completely reinventing the wheel. But it's still a cool and fun game.

But even though I agree that more non-violent and creative games would be a good thing, I can't muster up any sort of righteous anger or moral indignation at loving Doom or Wolfenstein. Doom is about fighting literal demons from literal Hell, and Wolfenstein at least attempts some nuance. I'm sorry Wolfenstein II isn't a game about organizing nonviolent civil rights protests in the actual, non-alternate-history 1960s, I guess?

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Trailers for games weren't really a thing in 1993 though. Who can say what the original Id would have come up with there...maybe it'd have been like that one Doom comic (which is still probably the most "GRAAAHHH RIP AND TEAR" thing that there is related to Doom)

EDIT: Not that I'm saying the original Doom isn't anything more than that. I still consider it one of the scariest, most intense games of them all - even now. Id's original idea - essentially an Aliens game in hell - is still something that shines through.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

sexpig by night posted:

'no no when they were clapping and cheering for 'SHOOT THE PERP, COP, WHOOOOO' they were just fuckin around it's cool'.

That's the entire point of David Cage games though, you make all the bad choices all the time because it's always better than the alternative of trying to play along with the crap writing, David Cage is incapable of making a scene have any real gravity or meaning, him trying to make a game that ~says something~ about institutional racism or abuse or whatever is laughable as all hell. Even moreso when the game's gonna come out and have even more of the usual Cageisms, a short hair pretty lady is probably gonna take a shower or piss a couple times and the game's gonna weirdly sit on it for a little, there's gonna be french actors trying hard to hold down the accent and distracting from the dialogue, there'll probably be creepy almost-rape a time or two.

Harrow posted:

But even though I agree that more non-violent and creative games would be a good thing, I can't muster up any sort of righteous anger or moral indignation at loving Doom or Wolfenstein. Doom is about fighting literal demons from literal Hell, and Wolfenstein at least attempts some nuance. I'm sorry Wolfenstein II isn't a game about organizing nonviolent civil rights protests in the actual, non-alternate-history 1960s, I guess?

:yeah:

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Dec 19, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

if peace wants to compete in the marketplace of ideas, it's gonna need to break the 'kicking rad' out from storage

• Locked thread