Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Devorum posted:

How do the LLs stack up? It looks like Sigvald gets no mount...and Kholek is his own mount.

Archaon and Kholek are two of the burliest LLs in the game. Kholek is a giant wrecking ball that can slaughter armies, while Archaon trades some of that brute power for being a lord-level fire mage in a game where fire magic got buffed to the skies in terms of killing power. Sigvald is a really good duelist who is extremely tough, but he's not as strong as the other two, he's restricted to being on foot, and the only real gimmick he brings to the table that the other two don't is having regeneration from one of his items.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mahasamatman
Nov 8, 2006

Flame on the trail headed for the powder keg
Sigvald starts with a penis cannon, which is the best artillery piece in the game and a massive starting advantage.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
The Hellcannon is a fairly big advantage over Archaon for taking towns, but Kholek doesn't give a poo poo because Kholek is his own siege weapon.

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.

FlyingCowOfDoom posted:

As someone not as up to date on WHF lore, how will the Tomb Kings be different from the Vampire undead already in game? Are their units that much different?

Archers, chariots and ranged monsters that fire arrows the size of tree trunks.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

FlyingCowOfDoom posted:

As someone not as up to date on WHF lore, how will the Tomb Kings be different from the Vampire undead already in game? Are their units that much different?

They're at least as different as Brets and Empire, they basically share "skeleton trooper" and "crumble instead of running".

The Liche Priests originally cast their incantations as bound items (think the fireball ring, or in context a scary mummy dude reading from the book of the dead), so it'd be cool if their spells were just abilities on a timer instead of proper spells. That'd be a huge difference from anyone. But the new tabletop edition removed that so they'll probably use winds.

They also don't have a heal spell in iirc, their lore attribute heals whatever they cast a buff on. They have spells to make you faster, shoot more, fight goodly, etc and then they heal on top of that, plus a sandstorm vortex and a debuff or two. I think there's some kind of aoe heal as well but I barely remember anymore.

Unlike VC also, their monsters are all slow as gently caress like the basic troopers, so you basically have to be casting the AOE "extra move" spell to manouver. I think the Kings themselves also had a zone that let you move faster. Even chariots are still plodding along at heavy cav speed otherwise.

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Dec 18, 2017

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I think the kings also had a zone around them that made every trooper fight almost as well as the king, didn't they?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Night10194 posted:

I think the kings also had a zone around them that made every trooper fight almost as well as the king, didn't they?

Yeah, it was necessary since otherwise their line troops were absolutely terrible.

It'll probably be implemented as an aura with a huge +WA/WD boost in TWW. Much like how Corpse carts or Branch wraiths work.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

That still sounds pretty great on a badass mummy lord you want in there with their khopesh anyway.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods
As rad as Settra obviously is, I think i'm most excited for Khalida to be honest. Super buffed archers and constructs are totally my jam, especially when those constructs also have bows the size of bolt throwers.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Night10194 posted:

Yes and because your line soldiers were so bad, the most effective strategy against tomb kings was to try and take out their lord, which was easier than it was against VCs because you needed your lord in the midst of the fighting to get that big bonus.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Finally got this game. I'm enjoying the poo poo out of playing as high elves right now. Tyrion is kinda of boring but meh, I have enough mages that I don't mind. Early on I was annoyed because some of the other HE factions gobbled up some territory I wanted but I also didn't want to go to war over it. I got ridiculously wealthy - even though I now know I could be wealthier with this one weird elven agent trick - and ended up getting big enough that it was pretty simple to confederate the ones I wanted. Plus I noticed that one of the AI factions was doing the incredibly annoying work of keeping one of the pirate factions at bay when the pirates would just run the gently caress away so I left them alone. Ended up crushing that DE faction that spawned to the North, consolidating the home territories and ultimately ended up sending 3 stacks across the sea to the DE homelands and I'm having fun running amok over there.

Sea Guards with Shields might be my favorite all purpose unit, but the dragons take the crown. I typically take 4 swordsmasters, 4-6 sea guards with shields, a couple of phoenix guards, a couple eagles, at least one dragon, and a couple bolt throwers with some various units flexed in there depending on my whims at the moment.

drans
Sep 1, 2016
Ramrod XTreme

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

Yes and because your line soldiers were so bad, the most effective strategy against tomb kings was to try and take out their lord, which was easier than it was against VCs because you needed your lord in the midst of the fighting to get that big bonus.

That said Settra is a loving beast in CC

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
But the generic Tomb Kings aren't goku fighters like the vampire lords are. They're tougher and better than a generic human lord, maybe dwarf or elf tier.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

But the generic Tomb Kings aren't goku fighters like the vampire lords are. They're tougher and better than a generic human lord, maybe dwarf or elf tier.

The difference was that the Tomb Kings made their fodder much much stronger just by being near them. While Vampires did not do that. Vamps made up for that by being very powerful individually.

Pretty both had sucky chaff, but the Tomb Kings heavily buff that chaff, while the Vampire Counts used them as shields for their actual hitters the vampires.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Gejnor posted:

Its probably Throt the Unclean, the moulder guy since he has a solid starting point on the ME map with his Hellpit.

Lookin' Good

I think you are right, in the Vortex map Clan Moulder starts in the Southlands, which is a nice point of interaction with the Tomb Kings.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

I just want a start in Skavenblight or Hellpit.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

One thing about Tomb Kings is that they were surprisingly flexible in terms of army comps. You could go all in on tons of spooky skeleton soldiers, Khalida ‘black out the sun’ archer spam, full chariot ‘ghost rider’ armies, and the famous Deathstar where your tomb king buffs a core of your elite infantry and turns them into a slow moving block of death

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

ZearothK posted:

I think you are right, in the Vortex map Clan Moulder starts in the Southlands, which is a nice point of interaction with the Tomb Kings.

They would have to move it a bit. If you kept their Vortex start as is Moulder would be squished between Queek and Kroq-Gar.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
I wish the other Dark Elf factions could get their poo poo together against the Aghol and Mung. They get horribly steamrolled every time when they should be slaughtering them in droves at their walled cities like Ghrond and Har Ganeth. Having to chase the Aghol assholes all the way out onto that peninsula in every loving DE game is lovely, especially when there other factions that should be helping instead of being fodder. CA could at least jigger with the autoresolve on those big cities against the northmen until the actual Norsca release.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

new phone who dis posted:

I wish the other Dark Elf factions could get their poo poo together against the Aghol and Mung. They get horribly steamrolled every time when they should be slaughtering them in droves at their walled cities like Ghrond and Har Ganeth. Having to chase the Aghol assholes all the way out onto that peninsula in every loving DE game is lovely, especially when there other factions that should be helping instead of being fodder. CA could at least jigger with the autoresolve on those big cities against the northmen until the actual Norsca release.

The AI auto loses against old-Norsca because they can't deal with the stack spam. They leave their cities because they can beat one stack, then get nailed by 2-3 more stacks or the tribes just take their cities while they are deployed.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe
So game should be done loading by the time I'm home. I saw a norsca nerfing mod mentioned, are there any other balancing or quality of life mods any of you reccomend?

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Willfrey posted:

So game should be done loading by the time I'm home. I saw a norsca nerfing mod mentioned, are there any other balancing or quality of life mods any of you reccomend?

Turning off aggressive agents. Giving your lord more than 1 point when they level. Both of those are requirements for me.

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
so whats the norsca fuckup exactly? why will it take a billion years to implement the updated roster into the game?

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe

Soup du Journey posted:

so whats the norsca fuckup exactly? why will it take a billion years to implement the updated roster into the game?

I was reading earlier that it had something to do with the AI getting too much money bonuses so it would doomstack and conquor neaby AI opponents and kept snowballing. Was a royal pain in the rear end to deal with

edit: as far as it not being a playable race for months, i dunno

Willfrey fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Dec 19, 2017

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Soup du Journey posted:

as much as we want to feel like the second game is just the first game with a new map, apparently there was a design change to how it handled and stored its data. All of the other races got imported and changed properly but norsca came so late, they did not have it changed in time and are redoing a lot of the code.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Soup du Journey posted:

because the colonization mechanics that effectively nerfed them in 1 rely on things that are simply not present in two and not easily kludged together.

replacing norsca with the newsca roster is relatively easy; it's everything on the strategic layer that the QOL upgrades in 2 borked

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Yeah, basically a lot of the hooks for their unique strategic mechanics (the hunts, colonization etc) don't actually exist in 2. So when they attempted to port it over directly it completely fell apart. Mostly because the team that worked on Norsca was the DLC team working on WH1 months after the main team had branched into WH2 and changed a bunch of fundamental mechanics none of the orginal+DLC races relied on (but Norsca did).

Then they tried to fix it for a few weeks before realizing how fundamentally pointless it was to try to keep kludging it together when the kludges kept cropping up new issues.

So they scrapped the old code and decided to basically re-do Norsca in its entirety. But because the release hosed up their post-release content and DLC pipeline, they're putting out Tomb Kings and some other stuff first.

Basically Norsca is a lesson on why version control is important and why you shouldn't try to merge an ambitious project into a new, modified environment and expect everything to just sort of work out. And also why we should definitely not expect a DLC race at the end of WH2 right before WH3's release.

Zore fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Dec 19, 2017

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Turning off aggressive agents. Giving your lord more than 1 point when they level. Both of those are requirements for me.

Neither of these are at all required in 2.

What you do need is the faster end turn camera.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Neither of these are at all required in 2.

What you do need is the faster end turn camera.

Why would you not want to play with all the cool poo poo on your lord faster?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Why would you not want to play with all the cool poo poo on your lord faster?

It is fun to make choices, and unlike in 1 you have enough levels and enough actually good choices for that poo poo to matter.

Also, I think the diplo AI needs a fun overhaul. Same thing has happened in my Thorgrim go and my Morathi one-

All the AIs who should be at war (Empire vs VC, DE vs HE, dwarfs vs orcs) just sit and jerk off, meanwhile everyone who should be at war with me as a player does so, and then some.

So as Thorgrim both VC factions drown me in stacks while sniping Stirland and Averland, and then ONLY being at war with me, meanwhile Karl Franz is at war with no one except Nordland for a bit. Eventually he decs me as well. "Oldest ally of the Empire... we declare war??"

As Morathi, all of Ulthuan unites to send infinite stacks at me by like turn 20 while all of Naggaroth does gently caress all. Some dudes are at war with beastmen, Mal is at war with the norse, that's it. Mazda invited Skeggi into war with me. It feels like a return to Rome 2's "gently caress the player faction" mechanics which suck. Prolly gonna go back to playing normal cuz this isn't fun. "Hello fifth spear + archer stack in four turns"

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Dec 19, 2017

New Butt Order
Jun 20, 2017

Soup du Journey posted:

why will it take a billion years to implement the updated roster into the game?

The Norsca DLC is built out of a lot of custom code that was built by a number of the game's programmers as a side project and was outside of the pipeline for WH2/ME (I've even heard they did it off the clock but I can't actually find any credible source for that). CA severely underestimated the amount of time and work that it would take to actually get that code working in WH2 because severely underestimating project needs is what coders do.

New Butt Order fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Dec 19, 2017

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Economically illiterate Tory Boy Bollocks brain.
Keep away from children

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

It is fun to make choices, and unlike in 1 you have enough levels and enough actually good choices for that poo poo to matter.

Also, I think the diplo AI needs a fun overhaul. Same thing has happened in my Thorgrim go and my Morathi one-

All the AIs who should be at war (Empire vs VC, DE vs HE, dwarfs vs orcs) just sit and jerk off, meanwhile everyone who should be at war with me as a player does so, and then some.

So as Thorgrim both VC factions drown me in stacks while sniping Stirland and Averland, and then ONLY being at war with me, meanwhile Karl Franz is at war with no one except Nordland for a bit. Eventually he decs me as well. "Oldest ally of the Empire... we declare war??"

As Morathi, all of Ulthuan unites to send infinite stacks at me by like turn 20 while all of Naggaroth does gently caress all. Some dudes are at war with beastmen, Mal is at war with the norse, that's it. Mazda invited Skeggi into war with me. It feels like a return to Rome 2's "gently caress the player faction" mechanics which suck. Prolly gonna go back to playing normal cuz this isn't fun. "Hello fifth spear + archer stack in four turns"

I thought it'd be a good idea to send a pirate raiding force to scout the old world. Every time I'd discover someone war would soon folllow. Bretonnian warships and mousillion (who are at war with each other and factions right next to them) soon begin to launch attacks on naggarond, happily uncaring about their own borders being completely unprotected.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
is there a mod yet where dwarves/greenskins get event pop ups like helfs/delfs and get nice crafted items from it

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Third World Reggin posted:

is there a mod yet where dwarves/greenskins get event pop ups like helfs/delfs and get nice crafted items from it

Those events rely on scripts so the number of people capable of making them is very low.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted
Tomb Kings trailer https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpWqKme-g_4

and faq https://www.totalwar.com/blog/tomb-kings-announcement

Settra, Khalida, Khatep and Arkhan. Out jan 23rd

christ that giant at the end

peer fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Dec 19, 2017

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe
I am in ecstacy right now.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Oh my god, everything in that trailer is great, but those loving eye lasers on that hierotitan. :pcgaming:

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
:burger: TOOT KINGS IS HERE :burger:

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

peer posted:

Settra, Khalida, Khatep and Arkhan.

Sweet, 4LLs out of the box.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

ZearothK posted:

I am pretty sure the Tomb Kings victory condition will involve stopping Nagash from returning or helping him come back (if you're Arkhan The Black or whatever), since they've mentioned DLC factions won't interact with the Vortex.

"While the Tomb Kings can be played in the Eye of the Vortex campaign, they do not seek to influence the Vortex itself, and therefore do not engage in the race for control of it. Instead, they seek the nine cursed Books of Nagash, a search culminating in an epic battle at the Black Pyramid of Nagash."