Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Katt posted:

PETA will topple the Trump administration.

This is a suitable end to this year.

PETA hates pet owners too

(commence PETA derail)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
I'm not a pet owner, I'm a pet caregiver.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Yes. Poor antibiotic stewardship is driven by many things, but patient satisfaction scores (despite being inversely proportional to morbidity and mortality) ranks exceptionally high up there. Low scores literally result in lower Medicare reimbursement, so the physician who persistently gets lower Press Ganey scores because he or she refuses to write for Z-Paks for clearly viral URI costs the department money and is more likely to be fired as a result. It is precisely the same mechanism that forced physicians to over-prescribe opiates. It's not that doctors get kickbacks from the companies, it's their jobs are at risk if they don't "strive for five" on patient satisfaction scores.

(I use "their" instead of "our" quite specifically here. My department does not demand that I make patients happy, just that I make them better. I'm more than happy to deny people unnecessary medications.)

Edit: One satisfied doggo.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

is anyone shocked. trump is a weird narssitic sociopath. of course he doesnt care about pets or animals.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

I'm so pleased that this didn't end with "The Vice President".

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe

Dapper_Swindler posted:

is anyone shocked. trump is a weird narssitic sociopath. of course he doesnt care about pets or animals.

Any person who has the ability to have at least one animal (if your landlord won't let you have a pet, they are a monster.) around the house, even a goldfish, and they do not, that's a huge red flag for me. I can't imagine any fullblood narcissist caring at all about an animal. The human animal bond is a mutual thing, where a quadroped could not constantly praise the screaming carrot demon.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Is today the day we finally make all of America into Oklahoma with this tax bill?

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

KickerOfMice posted:

Any person who has the ability to have at least one animal (if your landlord won't let you have a pet, they are a monster.) around the house, even a goldfish, and they do not, that's a huge red flag for me. I can't imagine any fullblood narcissist caring at all about an animal.

I can respect someone that knows they would be bad at taking care of an animal because of their life situation or just general ability and chooses not to more than someone that has pets and then does a poo poo job because they don't understand what the hell they got into. But yeah Trump's basic lack of understanding of "what the hell would this animal even be doing for me??" is really perfect example of his lovely outlook on everything else he touches including his human family.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

KickerOfMice posted:

Any person who has the ability to have at least one animal (if your landlord won't let you have a pet, they are a monster.) around the house, even a goldfish, and they do not, that's a huge red flag for me. I can't imagine any fullblood narcissist caring at all about an animal. The human animal bond is a mutual thing, where a quadroped could not constantly praise the screaming carrot demon.

but a dog would constantly kiss his rear end and love him, its what they do. i am honestly surprised pence has a snake. he seems to be the type who thinks they are satanic. good for him i guess, they are good pets.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

KickerOfMice posted:

I never really considered myself a dog person.

After about three years with my puppy I swear to God if anyone intentionally harmed her I would get the six-foot rock bar out of the garage and put it straight into his loving torso, pull it through, and do it again.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Yes. Poor antibiotic stewardship is driven by many things, but patient satisfaction scores (despite being inversely proportional to morbidity and mortality) ranks exceptionally high up there. Low scores literally result in lower Medicare reimbursement, so the physician who persistently gets lower Press Ganey scores because he or she refuses to write for Z-Paks for clearly viral URI costs the department money and is more likely to be fired as a result. It is precisely the same mechanism that forced physicians to over-prescribe opiates. It's not that doctors get kickbacks from the companies, it's their jobs are at risk if they don't "strive for five" on patient satisfaction scores.

Not really asking if it ever happens that people get antibiotics they don't need, just always smelled like a way to shift responsibility onto rando individuals and family doctors.

Like the guy who gets antibiotics every time he has the flu shouldn't do that, it's dumb, but even if he's jamming antibiotics into his eyes 24/7 till the flu is gone he's gonna have used an amount lower than the amount that went into his lunch or was used in a hospital in an hour or whatever.

Like personal misuse of antibiotics seems cleary bad and not good, but it does feel like a "don't run your sink" answer to an aluminum factory problem.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

tetrapyloctomy posted:

After about three years with my puppy I swear to God if anyone intentionally harmed her I would get the six-foot rock bar out of the garage and put it straight into his loving torso, pull it through, and do it again.

Now imagine what would happen if they stole your car while they were at it...

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
Marlon Bundo is the only good thing associated with Mike Pence.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Pence, meaning well but not fully understanding the situation, is just keeping all the pussies locked away so Trump doesn't grab them.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

KickerOfMice posted:

How about if you don't have a pet because you are terrified that you aren't a good enough owner to them?

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

Fun Shoe

Ularg posted:

How about if you don't have a pet because you are terrified that you aren't a good enough owner to them?

Well, that makes sense, I wasn't saying it's a well thought out judgement, it's just reflexive.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

but a dog would constantly kiss his rear end and love him, its what they do.

Trump does not require love, he requires validation of his success, real or imagined. Train a parrot to say "You're smart!" and there, he would have his pet!
:parrot:

KickerOfMice fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Dec 19, 2017

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I imagine there must be people in the world who like PETA, but I have literally never met one of them, not online or in person.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

What’s latest on tax bill? It going to pass?

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Radish posted:

This is only going to result in right wingers flinging their dogs out of their upstairs windows.

If I start hearing about poo poo bags just killing dogs because Trump doesn't like them that's probably what's gonna make me go insane.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

KickerOfMice posted:

Earlier this year my wife and I stayed with her sister and her husband for 4 days. We have 2 cats that are alwaysu p in our poo poo, being nosey, chasing each other around, etc. The quiet at night in their pet free house was eerie.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Animals are overrated. I don't need something shedding hair all over the house, pooping and peeing in my lawn or a box in house, chewing and clawing my stuff, smelling bad, and racking up huge medical bills from crazy genetic disorders introduced by breeders over decades.

Not liking animals doesn't make you a sociopath.

They are fine but I don't want any in my house.

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

KickerOfMice posted:

I like not having pet hair everywhere, mostly because my spouse and I are poo poo at housekeeping. We've thought about getting a cat, but the pet hair thing is kind of a big deal.

We like other people's pets a lot though :3:

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

Fun Shoe

Deadulus posted:

Looks like they have the votes, it's a good thing they represent their donors and no one else.

Cnn- The tax bill: Follow the vote live
TalkngPointsMemo- GOP Set To Catapult $1.5T Final Tax Bill

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Dapper_Swindler posted:

but a dog would constantly kiss his rear end and love him, its what they do. i am honestly surprised pence has a snake. he seems to be the type who thinks they are satanic. good for him i guess, they are good pets.

Maybe he belongs to one of those snake handling churches.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Al Borland Corp. posted:

acking up huge medical bills from crazy genetic disorders introduced by breeders over decades.

you don't have to get one of those genetically hosed up breeds

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Deadulus posted:

As of Friday they had the votes, and nothing has changed as far as anyone’s stated intent. McCain’s on his deathbed, but he was always a yes and isn’t needed for it to pass. There’s some other republican on chemo, but he said he could come in.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Deadulus posted:

I've already spent my tax cut so it better.

For better or worse it's going to pass.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
Abandoning all my pets to trigger the libs.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

There was no way they were going to not pass some incredibly onerous tax bill. The tiniest of bright sides is that this is so transparent that they can't even pretend to sell it as anything other than looting the country for their overlords and personal interest; they just aren't even trying outside of Collins because she wants to somehow continue to sell herself as a "moderate." The next step is hammering Democrats so that if they get back into power they undo a lot of this nightmare instead of just immediately trying to pass off the status quo as the new normal. This tax bill should be used as a constant reminder that there are no good Republicans and pretending otherwise is incredibly dangerous. Any pundit that tries to make the claim that both sides are acting in good faith has immediately discredited him or herself (much in the same way as the idiots desperate that Trump had finally become president).

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Dec 19, 2017

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

TheScott2K posted:

PETA hates pet owners too

(commence PETA derail)

Wait so what would PETA have me do with the 4 week old kitten that was stashed in the wheel well of a car in front of my wife while she was driving to work? He fell out into a busy street and she manages to stop traffic and save him. Should we just release him back in the wild to get mauled or freeze to death?

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Krispy Wafer posted:

I've already spent my tax cut so it better.

For better or worse it's going to pass.

You're taxes are going up friendo. Better look into selling a kidney now.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Andrast posted:

Even with mutts it's a crapshoot cause one if it's parents two or three generations back is probably one of those genetically hosed up ones.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

Andrast posted:

On the flip side, if you are a good pet owner, just regular checkup vet bills will seriously pile up over the life of the animal. Speaking on the parrot side of things, you have to expect to spend at least 10X the price of the bird in vet bills when budgeting for getting a new friend.

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

Fun Shoe

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Animals are overrated. I don't need something shedding hair all over the house, pooping and peeing in my lawn or a box in house, chewing and clawing my stuff, smelling bad, and racking up huge medical bills from crazy genetic disorders introduced by breeders over decades.

Not liking animals doesn't make you a sociopath.

They are fine but I don't want any in my house.

ALLERGIES = SOCIOPATHY! (that's not what I meant.)

And yeah, gently caress breeders, there are plenty of shelters out there givin' em away. :toot:

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Not really asking if it ever happens that people get antibiotics they don't need, just always smelled like a way to shift responsibility onto rando individuals and family doctors.

Like the guy who gets antibiotics every time he has the flu shouldn't do that, it's dumb, but even if he's jamming antibiotics into his eyes 24/7 till the flu is gone he's gonna have used an amount lower than the amount that went into his lunch or was used in a hospital in an hour or whatever.

Like personal misuse of antibiotics seems cleary bad and not good, but it does feel like a "don't run your sink" answer to an aluminum factory problem.

You're thinking of it as a quantity issue, and that's the wrong approach. Microorganisms, including pathogens, are continuously evolving and any reduction in unnecessary antibiotic and antiviral prescription is beneficial to prolonging the viability of the medication we do have available.

The other reason to focus on reducing unnecessary prescription (and antibacterial use in general) is due to the environmental fate of said pathogens and medication that a lot of people do not think about. I work in the Water/Wastewater industry, and one of the big "oh poo poo" issues right now is the antibiotic resistance development that is occurring at wastewater plants that have sludge digesters. The digesters are a perfect self-contained system for rapid bacteriological replication. Because the wastewater treatment process isn't able to fully break down and remove antibiotic compounds and other biocides from the process flow, you end up with the actual scenario where you're allowing microbes to be exposed to low concentration of some critical antibiotic while having enough time to undergo several generations of reproduction and resistance development.

In a lot of cases, that sludge is then pulled up, decanted/centrifuged/dewatered and shipped off to be used as fertilizer on farm fields, etc, in which case the potentially antibiotic-resistance microbes now have a direct path to stream, rivers, lakes, etc.

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Even with mutts it's a crapshoot cause one if it's parents two or three generations back is probably one of those genetically hosed up ones.

Or like my wife and I where we knowingly adopted a dog with a seizure disorder, but it turns out she has other medical issues also. She's doing ok and is a wonderful dog, though her monthly med cost is around $50 or so (on top of all the other expenses).

And why are antibiotics and other biocides ending up in the wastewater? Because in addition to the people who regularly dump their prescriptions into the toilet, we've also been putting antibiotics such as triclosan into literally everything possible even though there are very few benefits to their use generally for consumer products. The FDA started to crack down on antibacterial use in consumer products, but I'm sure a Republican-led FDA will work to undo that.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Al Borland Corp. posted:

How about a cat then?

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Aramis posted:

Speaking on the parrot side of things, you have to expect to spend at least 10X the price of the bird in vet bills when budgeting for getting a new friend.

Don't the larger parrot breeds live over 50 years? You need to budget for what will happen to that pet when you are dead of old age..

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

KickerOfMice posted:

ALLERGIES = SOCIOPATHY! (that's not what I meant.)

And yeah, gently caress breeders, there are plenty of shelters out there givin' em away. :toot:

To be clear, I don't have allergies. I just don't like the way they smell and don't like having hair constantly shed everywhere.

Pet owners, you maybe don't realize, but your houses smell like poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

toadee posted:

Wait so what would PETA have me do with the 4 week old kitten that was stashed in the wheel well of a car in front of my wife while she was driving to work? He fell out into a busy street and she manages to stop traffic and save him. Should we just release him back in the wild to get mauled or freeze to death?

The answer is euthanasia. PETA does not support pet ownership and believes that destroying pet animals is more ethical than placing them as pets.

• Locked thread