Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Yeah, I just started playing a couple weeks ago, and I also have a permanently stuck vs AI quest that won't advance. I've tried pure AI matches, matches with friends and without, and nothing works. It is pretty irritating that it takes up a quest slot and won't go away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lame Devil
Mar 21, 2013

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
Try an unranked game. I think those are meant to advance all quests regardless of if you meet quest conditions. Or maybe it’s only ranked?

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

My new auto-block comment is anyone who says "wtf".

My unranked matches have been real weird. Like I'm playing with people who's most played hero is like, 10 matches, but they've been playing the game for three years.

It's like my mmr is 0 now? Was that part of the reset?

Like the last unranked draft game was me (silver), and 4 people who've never played HL before and have played ~10-20 games total in hots vs 3 diamond, 1 gold, and 1 no-HL guy but he had 400 games played. Which is more than my whole team put together (sans myself).

appropriatemetaphor fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Dec 19, 2017

Dilkington
Aug 6, 2010

"Al mio amore Dilkington, Gennaro"
I would watch a reality tv show where tcjimbo teaches uncoordinated teens how to drive, or a bear grylls-type survival show where he takes people out and teaches them bushcraft, but then gets mad and leaves them to die

Dilkington
Aug 6, 2010

"Al mio amore Dilkington, Gennaro"
maybe a tv-movie where he is an air-traffic controller and he has to talk a passenger through landing. basically while waiting for star wars to start today i thought up potential television vehicles for tcjimbo

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014

appropriatemetaphor posted:

My new auto-block comment is anyone who says "wtf".

Mine is "..."

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

I just turned team chat off entirely at this point unless I'm in a premade, wasn't worth it anymore.

Edit: Also I've been playing a lot of UD and it does seem to get real weird. I know it's trying to match premades and MMRs and all sorts of stuff, but I'm level 1500+ and I've been matched to people with less than a dozen games played. It's not really a problem I'm glad to see new blood. But it feels weird now and then.

Mind over Matter fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Dec 19, 2017

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Dilkington posted:

maybe a tv-movie where he is an air-traffic controller and he has to talk a passenger through landing. basically while waiting for star wars to start today i thought up potential television vehicles for tcjimbo

tcjimbo would be simultaneously aggressive AND passive-aggressive Gordon Ramsey.

"I'm not trying to be an rear end in a top hat but this is not how you cook chicken. This is the exact opposite of good chicken. Like if we were cooking steak maybe that would be the right call but this is chicken and I don't want the chicken to turn out lovely"

e: for the record I love playing with tcjimbo and newbies shouldn't take the "don't play with tcjimbo" meme seriously unless they have thin skin for criticism. He will berate you but it's a decent call more often than not and it's more entertaining than no voice chat at all and WAY better than assholes who have open mics ECHOING THE loving GAME SFX BACK AT ME

BrianBoitano fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Dec 19, 2017

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

ooh that's good too

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Mind over Matter posted:

I just turned team chat off entirely at this point unless I'm in a premade, wasn't worth it anymore.

Why would you do anything other than a premade ever?

/join SAGoons /join teamleague /join team league /join lfg only play with people who do Discord because that is a proxy to filter out assholes

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

BrianBoitano posted:

Why would you do anything other than a premade ever?

/join SAGoons /join teamleague /join team league /join lfg only play with people who do Discord because that is a proxy to filter out assholes

Right, and I've told you again and again that as much as I like playing with you voice is usually not an option for me. :(

You're not wrong, I just have a situation where filtering out non-voice people generally filters me out too.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

That ain't no problem, like I said it's a proxy for weeding out assholes. You don't need a mic to join Discord so the only concern is if your rig somehow lags out with it, which some do.

e: also ymmv if you're not on NA servers, I don't know your local lfg channels

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Mind over Matter posted:

If I turned off chat I wouldn't see people asking me why I'm "intentionally dying" as Murky and generally just not understanding how his death situation works! Like I'm too in awe that people STILL don't understand how Murky works after all this time, I can't bring myself to mute chat and miss out on that.

Speaking of Murky went 8 out of 10 games with him last night, was a pretty fuckin sweet night of HOTS. I think Murky is the reason I actually REALLY like Garden of Terror because I can risk pushing really hard with the terror because my deaths don't mean much. I've also started enjoying Braxis since going full slime build. I hate that map with anyone else though

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Lol, playing UD, the team captain is level 6 and started playing hots 1 day ago. Everyone on my team is sub lvl 100, while the other team is all 400 +. Does blizz think i'm a grandmaster?

Yeah 1 Diamond, 2 plats, 2 gold vs 1 gold, 1 silver, 3 bronze with <10 games played. So far my last 7 games have been incredibly lopsided.

appropriatemetaphor fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Dec 19, 2017

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

BrianBoitano posted:

That ain't no problem, like I said it's a proxy for weeding out assholes. You don't need a mic to join Discord so the only concern is if your rig somehow lags out with it, which some do.

e: also ymmv if you're not on NA servers, I don't know your local lfg channels

Yeah, it's unfortunate. You're absolutely right, and I don't argue it. But the reality of my personal situation is that even having voice on to listen to is often a no-go for me. It's frustrating for sure, I'd like to play TL more with you and with others, and do premades in general. I know it makes for a better game experience, I just often am not able to do so.

Macaluso posted:

If I turned off chat I wouldn't see people asking me why I'm "intentionally dying" as Murky and generally just not understanding how his death situation works! Like I'm too in awe that people STILL don't understand how Murky works after all this time, I can't bring myself to mute chat and miss out on that.

This is also fair, turning off chat does make you miss some gems for sure.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
So did they update something that made my FPS go from ~100 fps to 40 in the last few days?

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil

Mind over Matter posted:

This is also fair, turning off chat does make you miss some gems for sure.

If someone's being a jerk, I'll just say "muted" but not actually bother muting them. Either it's great reading or they shut up.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
What's a good, or at least decent and easy to learn, Tank or Support I can purchase so I can focus on doing well with one character before branching out?

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

malfurion, muradin are both cheap and easy

lucifirius
Mar 7, 2016

SirSamVimes posted:

malfurion, muradin are both cheap and easy

I second the Muradin. He's awesome. Good at bodyblocking, has a stun, an engage/escape, self heal, and can punch enemies into your team or out of your team.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck

Elysium posted:

So did they update something that made my FPS go from ~100 fps to 40 in the last few days?

I've been absolutely wondering the same thing, and apparently my friends with 1070s+ are even hitting the issue. I've had to shrink my resolution down to get it to stop most of the times, and even then it goes crunchy during team fights and/or Infernal Shrines. I'm chalking it up to the new camera.

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

Try turning off vsync, is what I've heard. No problems myself, but I've seen people talking about it.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord
Apparently there's some issue with Hanzo that causes framerate dips. Probably scatter shot.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Who's that like cloaking spaniard hacker in overwatch? She could have an ability that causes massive frame drops for the enemy team.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

appropriatemetaphor posted:

Who's that like cloaking spaniard hacker in overwatch? She could have an ability that causes massive frame drops for the enemy team.

Sombra is Mexican.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Chase the dragon, friends

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exalVjNkpu0

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.

Nybble posted:

I've been absolutely wondering the same thing, and apparently my friends with 1070s+ are even hitting the issue. I've had to shrink my resolution down to get it to stop most of the times, and even then it goes crunchy during team fights and/or Infernal Shrines. I'm chalking it up to the new camera.

I'm already on the lowest settings with vsync off. It didn't seem to happen right at the new patch/Hanzo, just like yesterday or the day before that.

Ronnie
May 13, 2009

Just in case.

Dick Burglar posted:

Sombra is Mexican.

What's the difference?

Kaldaris
Aug 10, 2008

Yeah! Yeah! Yeah!
Awesome possum!

Ronnie posted:

What's the difference?

An ocean.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Elysium posted:

I'm already on the lowest settings with vsync off. It didn't seem to happen right at the new patch/Hanzo, just like yesterday or the day before that.

Yeah I have vsync off already and it's definitely a lower frame rate this last patch

I'd laugh if tower ammo was somehow related to FPS in some esoteric way to make the game engine work

Samara
Jan 6, 2011

quote:

Deposited $150 at Mt Gox to try this Bitcoin thing out.

Stolen 6 days later. Really enjoyed my time there.

Helpful? Please donate - being this retarded ain't cheap!

Samara Investments
Basement Suite #101
Mom's House, Hometown FL
USAAA+
If you can’t take tcjimbos criticism you probably won’t get better at the game.

He may be a bit harsh at times but he taught me a lot about position and approaching fights from bad angles

Though the one time he yelled at a Garrosh who legitimately sucked did make me feel bad for the guy

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

I'm also on the "new patch / last couple of days makes my hardware strain" bus. I've always been lowest settings, vsync off. Now I guess I need to lower my resolution, buy a video card that costs more than $70, or hope for future optimizations :sigh:

At least I learned it through QM and not ranked. Thanks, Haunted and Solvent, for putting up with my extremely rusty Zeratul this morning. I understand why he's 2nd lowest winrate, but his new ult is loving sick.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

I don't care if he's bad, being able to jump to an overextended backliner 3 to 5 times is hilarious.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck

Fried Watermelon posted:

Yeah I have vsync off already and it's definitely a lower frame rate this last patch

I'd laugh if tower ammo was somehow related to FPS in some esoteric way to make the game engine work

It's recalculating your Personal Rating each frame. Or mining bitcoin, who even knows these days

But it is 'fun' making the game look like Diablo 2 with the shrunk resolution and no settings

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Nova is the new hot poo poo these days, huh? Better check her matchups...

:coolfish::hf::getin:

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I ain't scared of no Nova when I'm Murky :colbert:

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
Nova is on every team I played today.

I like Sylvanas and Cassia.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Samara posted:

If you can’t take tcjimbos criticism you probably won’t get better at the game.

He may be a bit harsh at times but he taught me a lot about position and approaching fights from bad angles

Though the one time he yelled at a Garrosh who legitimately sucked did make me feel bad for the guy

Sometimes tcjimbos commentary goes beyond criticism and when you start losing multiple team fights due to the entire team loving up and fault can't be blamed to one person he just flies off the handle and won't let things go

he does give good advice but it's like clockwork if we start losing a game he just becomes more and more unhinged

a tip with playing with him is just muting him after he's past the point of no return, he will likely not even realize you muted him in discord because at that point he's the only one using voice chat to yell at everyone

MisterZimbu
Mar 13, 2006
I've been getting performance issues too since the Hanzo patch, but mine's not really a framerate thing, but HotS has been hard-locking my PC for seconds at a time for the past few days and I've been going insane trying to track down whether it's actually HotS or my PC dying.

The entire PC freezes - mouse doesn't move, music/video from other apps stops, etc., for a couple seconds and I get the "has reconnected" message in HotS. It's not normal lag because I also get the freezes on the title screen (though rarer). It is sporadic but in a session when it does happen it's constantly happening.

Hardware failure doesn't seem to be a thing either - other games work fine, including SC2; haven't noticed any lag in any other online games, moved HotS to another HDD and also reinstalled it. No dice. Not noticing any packet loss or anything like that either.

Dumb game for jerks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

MisterZimbu posted:

I've been getting performance issues too since the Hanzo patch, but mine's not really a framerate thing, but HotS has been hard-locking my PC for seconds at a time for the past few days and I've been going insane trying to track down whether it's actually HotS or my PC dying.

The entire PC freezes - mouse doesn't move, music/video from other apps stops, etc., for a couple seconds and I get the "has reconnected" message in HotS. It's not normal lag because I also get the freezes on the title screen (though rarer). It is sporadic but in a session when it does happen it's constantly happening.

Hardware failure doesn't seem to be a thing either - other games work fine, including SC2; haven't noticed any lag in any other online games, moved HotS to another HDD and also reinstalled it. No dice. Not noticing any packet loss or anything like that either.

Dumb game for jerks

Do a full uninstall of your video card driver and re-install it.