Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Waffles Inc. posted:

The truth is that the movie explains the events that are unfolding, even if that explanation is counter to the plot or what characters say. For instance, it's clear that Holdo's "cloaking devices" were fake and that she had placed her trust in a ruse, since it's clear that the ships never cloak and never uncloak.

The ships were cloaked. Hux confirms they were cloaked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

edit: Yeah, what that guy said. ^^^

Waffles Inc. posted:

The truth is that the movie explains the events that are unfolding, even if that explanation is counter to the plot or what characters say. For instance, it's clear that Holdo's "cloaking devices" were fake and that she had placed her trust in a ruse, since it's clear that the ships never cloak and never uncloak.

Wait, hang on, I'm mostly with you, but Holdo did have the transports cloaked. It's just that, in this instance, cloaked means hidden from radar. Some First Order guy said they ran some anti-cloaking scan thing after DJ told them about the cloaked transports, and that's what revealed them. Maybe the anti-cloaking scan was looking out the window, which they normally wouldn't bother doing since radar would take care of it. But the ships were cloaked.

It''s just not cloaking like in Star Trek, where the ship literally becomes invisible. More like a stealth bomber.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Their sensors were jammed !

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

tadashi posted:

It's a lot easier to sell Force-based projections in a movie where that has already happened than it is to sell the idea that Luke somehow snuck past all of the First Order into that cave.

I figured he could have shown up in his X-Wing that they show early on.

Figured that was Chekov’s x-wing but I guess they had to do some over the top bullshit with the force instead.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

kidkissinger posted:

The entire sequence of every AT-AT shooting him is so dumb and devoid of tension. Why is this movie trying so hard to be a matrix sequel.

It's really more of a homage to Quaids hologram in Total Recall.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

kidkissinger posted:

Also, what was with all the crappy one-liners deflating nearly every single dramatic scene?

It seriously felt like a lovely Guardians of the Galaxy spinoff where the characters have to be winking at the audience in every scene.

We Gen-X to early Millennials (the main demographic movies are produced for at the moment) can't take anything serious or can take unbroken drama without blunting it with irony and sarcasm. Except when nerding out on the Internet. That's why nearly all movies feel so similar - they are all earnest stories constantly subverted and ironised just before they might have a message or get too honest.

Decius fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Dec 19, 2017

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

thrawn527 posted:

Maybe the anti-cloaking scan was looking out the window, which they normally wouldn't bother doing since radar would take care of it.

"Phasma, you switched off your targeting computer. What's wrong?"

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

kidkissinger posted:

Figured that was Chekov’s x-wing but I guess they had to do some over the top bullshit with the force instead.

Rian Johnson gave an interview where he said that in each movie of the OT, you see the Force do something new. Moving objects in Empire, Force Lightning in Jedi, so this was just an extension of that. People keep finding new things the Force can do. And the movie establishes pretty early on that it's possible, so you shouldn't be too surprised when Luke can do it at the end.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Quick question: does phasma have the only working suit of armor in the galaxy?

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

kidkissinger posted:

That X-Wing had probably been in the water since he landed there a very long time ago. I don't think it was supposed to be functional but I'm sure it was a red herring.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

tadashi posted:

That X-Wing had probably been in the water since he landed there a very long time ago. I don't think it was supposed to be functional but I'm sure it was a red herring.

Well yeah that does make sense

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

kidkissinger posted:

The xwing had been underwater for like a decade

Why would you think it worked? Also it's "just" visual language to tell you the viewer that his ace pilot days are dead and buried

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Bip Roberts posted:

Quick question: does phasma have the only working suit of armor in the galaxy?

Looks like storm troopers and the praetorian guard also.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

I didn't hate Star Wars Nerds before TLJ.

I do now.

*hides his mountain of Star Wars branded stuff away until the next movie*

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

There's a reason snoke had a telescope, doesn't matter that a cloak doesn't visually hide the ships because after like 800 meters against the inky void your poo poo's probably real hard to see. I hope to see Star Destroyer captains using sextants and telescopes in the next installment

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Schwarzwald posted:

The ships were cloaked. Hux confirms they were cloaked.

It seems they have scanner to find cloaked ships if they know to look and seem able to target and destroy them, so calling it cloaked seems an overstatement.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

tadashi posted:

Or possibly it's in that shot because if it weren't we currently be engaged in an argument about how Luke got to the island in the first place etc.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

euphronius posted:

Why would you think it worked? Also it's "just" visual language to tell you the viewer that his ace pilot days are dead and buried

But it also provides a connection to the sunken x wing in empire and gives a probable mechanism for Luke showing up in person.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Looking out the window would not have worked because they were too far away. They could only be seen with the naked eye if you used Snokes magic magnifying glass.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Also, what was with all the crappy one-liners deflating nearly every single dramatic scene?

It seriously felt like a lovely Guardians of the Galaxy spinoff where the characters have to be winking at the audience in every scene.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

euphronius posted:

I do think Johnson used it as a Chekov's X-Wing but it was really a red herring to make you think it was going to be used because "This is not going to go the way you think."

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

euphronius posted:

Looks like storm troopers and the praetorian guard also.

But their armor doesn't do poo poo. The glossy armor of the other hand just makes laser beams bounce right off.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Mr. Flunchy posted:

Or possibly it's in that shot because if it weren't we currently be engaged in an argument about how Luke got to the island in the first place etc.

:lol: I am thankful for it if only for that reason.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

thrawn527 posted:

edit: Yeah, what that guy said. ^^^

Wait, hang on, I'm mostly with you, but Holdo did have the transports cloaked. It's just that, in this instance, cloaked means hidden from radar. Some First Order guy said they ran some anti-cloaking scan thing after DJ told them about the cloaked transports, and that's what revealed them. Maybe the anti-cloaking scan was looking out the window, which they normally wouldn't bother doing since radar would take care of it. But the ships were cloaked.

It''s just not cloaking like in Star Trek, where the ship literally becomes invisible. More like a stealth bomber.

In a film with a strong motif of appearances being deceiving and astral projection, Holdo's plan is to have faith in her plan. Aside from those who mutiny everyone believes in the Emperor's New Cloaking Device. Even the first order are fooled at first, until they use their eyes

And no, we do know how a cloaking device works in Star Wars, it allows a ship to totally disappear from "scopes"

("Captain Needa, the ship no longer appears on our scopes!")

You know

Scopes

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Sharkopath posted:

Theres a dialogue line where they announce that even though it's in range, the ship is empty and isnt worth firing on now that they can get shots on the transports.

It's established in dialogue, pacing, and visually that they made a mistake only targeting the transports and the cruiser is now turning around to destroy them and they can't stop it in time.

If the imperials actually say that, then i take back that part. I only recall them saying the ship's trying to get away, keep firing on the transports.

Mr. Flunchy posted:

I thought pretty much the same. It was shocking, awe-inspiring and perfectly cinematically executed. It had a huge emotional wallop.

Why would you want to tinker with that moment by overexplaining it or spoiling the surprise (or worse, changing it so it simply didn't happen at all because it's apparently implausible by the rules of the fictional universe)?

You make a good point here. They probably deliberately avoided an establishing framework to preserve the surprise, and it was highly effective and well done. But afterwards my opinion soured about it. I felt it harmed the plot, even just within TLJ. I don't think it takes a lot of effort. I keep coming back to the RotJ example of the A-wing, since they took 5s of dialogue that both set the tone properly and established why this wasn't normal. In fact, given the way the film deliberately hearkened back to the original trilogy, it's probably fair to think that the framing of 'imperial officer gives firing orders - rebel ship kamikazes - imperial officer reacts and dies horribly' was purposefully similar. Granted, the scene in RotJ had little impact on the plot or main characters unlike the scene in TLJ.

I'm a little pissy that apparently there's no room to critique this without being a SpaceBattles.com nerd angry that a star destroyer hypermatter compressor clearly cant support artillery turbolasers of that size and therefore the plot of the movie makes no sense

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

kidkissinger posted:

I'm glad you've enjoyed your first Star Wars movie ever.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Bip Roberts posted:

But their armor doesn't do poo poo. The glossy armor of the other hand just makes laser beams bounce right off.

Oh I see what you mean.

Yeah who knows.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Bip Roberts posted:

They explain it in the visual dictionary:

The layered armour of the Praetorian Guard is a high tech onion-skin of laminate, impregnated with conductive wirepaths that, once powered, create an intense local magnetic field. Once this energy-intensive field activates, the powered plates can deflect blaster fire. Even a lightsaber will glance off, though a directed thrust will penetrate the shell.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Bip Roberts posted:

I'm glad you've enjoyed your first Star Wars movie ever.

The quips in the original trilogy were actually good and not awful tho

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

tadashi posted:

I do think Johnson used it as a Chekov's X-Wing but it was really a red herring to make you think it was going to be used because "This is not going to go the way you think."

I guess. I can see that. I never thought it could be used but see how it could be read had way.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

euphronius posted:

i mean a decade makes a difference but it has been explicitly shown that you can fix an underwater xwing so it's not exactly a stretch; I assumed it was a deliberate callback. :shrug:

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

tadashi posted:

I thought the point was that he was tossing the lightsaber into the same pit he tossed his x-wing

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

kidkissinger posted:

The quips in the original trilogy were actually good and not awful tho

Great comment kid, that was one in a million.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

tadashi posted:

They explain it in the visual dictionary:

The layered armour of the Praetorian Guard is a high tech onion-skin of laminate, impregnated with conductive wirepaths that, once powered, create an intense local magnetic field. Once this energy-intensive field activates, the powered plates can deflect blaster fire. Even a lightsaber will glance off, though a directed thrust will penetrate the shell.

Just like blowing too much air into a balloon!

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

I don't really remember there being quips in the really dramatic scenes other than a few Leia quips and the bit with "I'm holding for Hux", which I thought was funny. Maybe I just overlooked it. The issue with making a movie this epic is that people aren't going to remember every detail after one viewing. It's long.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Escobarbarian posted:

You.....sexist......motherfucker

While Holdo was arch and secretive, Dameron was sexist and responsible for a bunch of deaths.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Bip Roberts posted:

Great comment kid, that was one in a million.

I seriously doubt you can remember any of the one liners from this movie that weren’t just calling back to better ones from the original trilogy.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Well, there's a difference between a quip and Poe humiliating Hux. All the quips i can think of in the original trilogy were between protaganists. The Hux one stands out because it was so early on and set the tone of Hux being everyone's toilet.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

kidkissinger posted:

I seriously doubt you can remember any of the one liners from this movie that weren’t just calling back to better ones from the original trilogy.

It's salt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

tadashi posted:

I don't really remember there being quips in the really dramatic scenes other than a few Leia quips and the bit with "I'm holding for Hux", which I thought was funny. Maybe I just overlooked it. The issue with making a movie this epic is that people aren't going to remember every detail after one viewing. It's long.

"Do you think this is quite enough?" "Down it is sir" *brushes invisible dust off* "What are you looking at me, follow him!" "long live the Supreme Leader". Not that I'm complaining, I love the humour of the OT and the quips hit this feeling well (except the completely bafflingly bad Hux-Poe scene at the start)

• Locked thread