Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

the black husserl posted:

How did they gently caress up marketing this bill so badly? Americans love tax cuts.

Yet everyone seems to know this one is a sham.

The GOP knows that public opinion is irrelevant.

Dick Trauma posted:

Holy poo poo is that thing unflattering. I love it.

They need to inflate its size by about 50% though because Trump hasn't been that thin in years.

Looking forward to the eventual news of someone hacking his robot to play the tape audio and the freakout of families who go to Disney only to have that audio played for their families.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

A new cfpb for healthcare could not deal with the scope of the problems without staffing up till they we're the size of the military. Reviewing medical records is a *lot* of work.

Sounds like a great way to create a few (million) jobs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

boner confessor posted:

a lot of folks dont because they get run over by cars and or screw up ecosystems by murdering for fun

The other side of our townhouse development has a rat problem.

Our side does not, because one of our neighbors has an awesome outdoor cat.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Also that stupid corporation family's taxes are going up since they can't deduct their state taxes anymore

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

the black husserl posted:

How did they gently caress up marketing this bill so badly? Americans love tax cuts.

Yet everyone seems to know this one is a sham.

they bought their own hype regarding tax reform long enough to pass a reconciliation bill that required having a lot of losers in the bill, then let paul ryan, noted idiot, draft the initial bill that would get the most public attention with zero regard for how all those losers would play in public because they were too focused on the cash grab

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Those numbers are probably way too low.

A huge number of cats are farm cats. The farmers don't feed them much, maybe a saucer of milk about to go bad every now and then.

The cats just roam and hunt.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Also that stupid corporation family's taxes are going up since they can't deduct their state taxes anymore

they live in a zero income tax state, obviously, just like all Americans should

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Aramis posted:

I'm going to guess that most of that side-business is actually rent money that mostly goes towards paying mortgages. That would help to explain the absurdly low tax rate.

But he specified two types of business income. Rent would only be one and it would be pass through.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Evil Fluffy posted:

The GOP knows that public opinion is irrelevant.

Appeasing their wealthy donors with a blatant wealth transfer to the rich and corporations is more important than serving their voters.

It's pretty shameless and cynical but there you go.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

The Republicans not giving a poo poo about the public perception of this bill is pretty worrisome since it implies they know that it doesn't matter. Hopefully that's because they don't care about their jobs and are fine moving to lucrative lobbyist positions in the companies they are grifting for and not because they know something about their own elect-ability we don't.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Xae posted:

Those numbers are probably way too low.

A huge number of cats are farm cats. The farmers don't feed them much, maybe a saucer of milk about to go bad every now and then.

The cats just roam and hunt.

there's only 2.1 million farms in the united states so even if every single one had a cat it wouldn't be "a huge number" of cats, relatively speaking. even if every single one had two cats it wouldn't be.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Aramis posted:

What's the visibility of the ASPCA? The canadian equivalent is certainly by far better known than PETA up here.

ASPCA by a country mile. Only time I hear about PETA is when it comes to edgelord stunts.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Radish posted:

The Republicans not giving a poo poo about the public perception of this bill is pretty worrisome since it implies they know that it doesn't matter. Hopefully that's because they don't care about their jobs and are fine moving to lucrative lobbyist positions in the companies they are grifting for and not because they know something about their own elect-ability we don't.

the best explanation i read is that the public opinion of the GOP is already pretty baked in. who out there is going to vote republican if this doesn't pass, but won't if it does? we all know what they are. so yeah, in a pretty real sense it doesn't matter, and it does matter to their grifting operations and fundraising operations.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
PETA is bad and crazy a lot but also it's one of those things where it's not like people would be any kinder to a less extreme group since people hate their raw message (don't be cruel to animals) more than basically anything imaginable. If they fixed up their image and made their ads more palatable to people's sensibilities people would just reward them with ignoring them forever and not by being more sympathetic.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

evilweasel posted:

there's only 2.1 million farms in the united states so even if every single one had a cat it wouldn't be "a huge number" of cats, relatively speaking. even if every single one had two cats it wouldn't be.

Well, at least where I grew up the larger farms would have a dozen or so cats. Most of them don't even get named or anything. The cats just live in a little hut the farmer sets up and they make do on their own.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

DaveWoo posted:

https://twitter.com/JohnCornyn/status/943136421765840896

Yes, that certainly sounds like most average families. Who among us doesn't have a side business making $40,000/yr?

I wonder if you can actually find this family.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

evilweasel posted:

"Farms" in this context probably includes a lot of non-farm rural landowners, and they usually don't have just one or two cats, because rural cats tend to not have a very long lifespan.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Taerkar posted:

nope, it's the result of an optimization trying to find the biggest percentage tax cut you can get on a family you can claim is middle class

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

DaveWoo posted:

https://twitter.com/JohnCornyn/status/943136421765840896

Yes, that certainly sounds like most average families. Who among us doesn't have a side business making $40,000/yr?

Ah yes, tell me more about normal, average families, Mr. 1%

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

GOP leaders think the low tax cut approval numbers are just the proles being idiots and assume everyone will come around once the economy is booming again. They know better than the public and economists, because they've successfully brainwashed themselves.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Taerkar posted:

Check Cornyn's relatives

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

What the gently caress is a domesticated cat?

Civil Lies
Sep 3, 2008

business hammocks posted:

Jones’ statement about rape allegations is a loving disgrace.

The cynic in me thinks he's going to try to flip to the republican party before the next election. It's not like Alabama doesn't already have a precedent for that sort of thing.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Dietrich posted:

What the gently caress is a domesticated cat?

i think it's distinguishing them from feral cats given that undomesticated cats went extinct a while ago

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

NmareBfly posted:

GOP leaders think the low tax cut approval numbers are just the proles being idiots and assume everyone will come around once the economy is booming again. They know better than the public and economists, because they've successfully brainwashed themselves.

I think the take is more likely where they know it's bad and unpopular but believe they have a voting base that they also know won't abandon them over economic issues. Their real constituents are the money backers as their voters have effectively given up their right to be heard as they vote Republican regardless of actions.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Radish posted:

Republicans have never, ever given a poo poo about public perception. It didn't stop us from reelecting Obama and it hasn't stopped Democrats from winning in NJ, VA, and AL this year. They knew that if they did not pass a tax cut they'd never get another cent from their donors, that's why they are pushing this--that and they know that they have a voterbase that will bitch, moan, piss, whine, and then vote for them again anyway because BETTER THEM THEN A DEMMYCRAT.

They're counting on the public to have lovely memories next year, and no one ever lost money betting against the collective memory of the American voting populace.

You gotta stop schvitzing. No one is going to suddenly cancel elections or outlaw being a liberal or a Democrat.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

PETA is bad and crazy a lot but also it's one of those things where it's not like people would be any kinder to a less extreme group since people hate their raw message (don't be cruel to animals) more than basically anything imaginable. If they fixed up their image and made their ads more palatable to people's sensibilities people would just reward them with ignoring them forever and not by being more sympathetic.

Opposing industrial livestock practices and trying to preserve natural areas gets people’s lives ruined. America absolutely hates animals and does not ever want to think about them as capable of feeling fear or pain.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Radish posted:

The GOP now believes they are completely and utterly hosed, at least the ones in states/districts that are remotely competitive.

This is a jewelry store smash-and-grab, they are getting whatever they can.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Civil Lies posted:

The cynic in me thinks he's going to try to flip to the republican party before the next election. It's not like Alabama doesn't already have a precedent for that sort of thing.

I have very real concerns about that happening in a 51-Dem Majority situation, but his unwillingness to disavow the Democratic position on abortion and the GOP's continued courting of White Supremacists makes that unlikely, IMO.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Civil Lies posted:

This is a pretty special level of ridiculous

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003

Straight White Shark posted:

But that raises the question of what kind of $60k wage household owns enough real estate to make $40k renting it out.

There are whole forums on the internet dedicated to teaching people how to become slumlords. This seems like kind of the situation they'd get into.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Civil Lies posted:

nah, he's just following the manchin route: he's from a deep red state and the way to get re-elected is to be loudly republican where it will help in the state (which is why nobody bit on obamacare repeal and the current tax nonsense, which nobody likes) and doesn't matter and quietly democratic where it does. in other news, manchin is looking reasonably likely to get re-elected in loving west virginia.

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

evilweasel posted:

i think it's distinguishing them from feral cats given that undomesticated cats went extinct a while ago

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Civil Lies posted:

No loving chance in hell. The guy isn't a blue dog, his entire platform is straight up center-left if you'd actually check it out. He's far better than someone like Manchin

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

business hammocks posted:

Opposing industrial livestock practices and trying to preserve natural areas gets people’s lives ruined. America absolutely hates animals and does not ever want to think about them as capable of feeling fear or pain.

It's not just America. Right wingers in all countries are scum.

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices...s-a8065161.html

There's a place in hell for the likes of Jim Messina.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Pakled posted:

I’m well familiar with this illustration but I just noticed today that the single mother’s son has incredibly long and impossible arms.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Radish posted:

It's not just America. Right wingers in all countries are scum.

standard american right wingers are extremists anywhere else, there's no loving comparison

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Lote posted:

I’m well familiar with this illustration but I just noticed today that the single mother’s son has incredibly long and impossible arms.

The one percent of arm length

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

evilweasel posted:

standard american right wingers are extremists anywhere else, there's no loving comparison

Yeah that's true as well.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Pakled posted:

Missing the final image, F-- would not view again :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

evilweasel posted:

Just look at how Teresa May wants absolutely nothing to do with a potential Trump state visit.

• Locked thread