Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

wicka posted:

They don’t want to. Vodafone paid like a third of McLaren’s budget, no one pays that much anymore. You’d be taking a sponsor who pays the same amount as your regular sponsors and then giving them a bonus. It doesn’t make sense.

Yeah thinking about it the concept of paying more money for better spaces on the car and a spot in the team name doesn't make sense. I see your point now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Norns posted:

Zak Brown is cool cuz he lets Fernando race in other series where he at least has a chance to win.

Yeah I forgot that Toyota just can't stop winning the LeMans 24 haha

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

1500quidporsche posted:

Yeah thinking about it the concept of paying more money for better spaces on the car and a spot in the team name doesn't make sense. I see your point now.

It’s the literal truth, shut the gently caress up.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

track day bro! posted:

Yeah I forgot that Toyota just can't stop winning the LeMans 24 haha

I said chance

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

wicka posted:

It’s the literal truth, shut the gently caress up.

Sponsor: Hi I'd like my company name on the side pod of your car.
Wicka: Okay it's the same price as putting it on tiny blade #38 of the front wing.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

1500quidporsche posted:

Sponsor: Hi I'd like my company name on the side pod of your car.
Wicka: Okay it's the same price as putting it on tiny blade #38 of the front wing.

You ask a question, why do you cry about the answer? Sorry about reality, I guess?

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

wicka posted:

You ask a question, why do you cry about the answer? Sorry about reality, I guess?

That's not reality despite what your PCP induced delusions have led you to believe.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Can you two gently caress already

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Norns posted:

Zak Brown is cool cuz he lets Fernando race in other series where he at least has a chance to win.

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

wicka posted:

They don’t want to. Vodafone paid like a third of McLaren’s budget, no one pays that much anymore. You’d be taking a sponsor who pays the same amount as your regular sponsors and then giving them a bonus. It doesn’t make sense.

OK, so it's more that nobody wants to BE a title sponsor, and less that McLaren doesn't WANT a title sponsor. That makes more sense. So gently caress it, have rotating logos each race. Once (twice, whatever) per season you get a major sidepod spot. Then you cycle through all the other spots on the car. Sponsors agree to pay extra if the car podiums while they're on the prime location. You're welcome, Zak.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

CratSock posted:

OK, so it's more that nobody wants to BE a title sponsor, and less that McLaren doesn't WANT a title sponsor. That makes more sense. So gently caress it, have rotating logos each race. Once (twice, whatever) per season you get a major sidepod spot. Then you cycle through all the other spots on the car. Sponsors agree to pay extra if the car podiums while they're on the prime location. You're welcome, Zak.

Safest bet going.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Norns posted:

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

CratSock posted:

It’s kind of an in-between of the two, where McLaren could easily get a title sponsor, but they wouldn’t derive any extra value from it. Companies aren’t paying that much extra to be the title sponsor. It makes more sense to sign several major sponsors instead.

Brainwrong
Mar 20, 2004

RIP Bobby K
Poland's Rose. Like a cabbage in the wind.
F1 without our wonderful :britain: would be Ferrari racing against Toro Rosso and Sauber.

Ferrari would still cheat and whine.

Toto Rosso wouldn't have a designer or racing director.

Sauber would still be a bag of wank

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
Sauber's greatest shame will forever be not closing the sponsorship deal to become Powerslice-Sauber-Alfa Romeo.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CratSock posted:

Much like resident Ferrari fans Gonzo and Track day, who feature a relatively low meltdown temperature.

Delete this crap

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Brainwrong posted:

F1 without our wonderful :britain: would be Ferrari racing against Toro Rosso and Sauber.

Ferrari would still cheat and whine.

Toto Rosso wouldn't have a designer or racing director.

Sauber would still be a bag of wank

Bashir should've put that oval office in her place like he did with Jackson.

Brainwrong
Mar 20, 2004

RIP Bobby K
Poland's Rose. Like a cabbage in the wind.

1500quidporsche posted:

Bashir should've put that oval office in her place like he did with Jackson.

The French killed the Princess of our Hearts, nothing good has ever come out of France

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

wicka posted:

It’s kind of an in-between of the two, where McLaren could easily get a title sponsor, but they wouldn’t derive any extra value from it. Companies aren’t paying that much extra to be the title sponsor. It makes more sense to sign several major sponsors instead.

McLaren can't get a title sponsor because the team and organization believe they are of a higher value than they actually are. Turns out when you underperform for a decade your value to potential sponsors goes down.

Human Grand Prix fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Dec 19, 2017

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Zak Brown: Hi, I'm Zak Brown of McLaren. Please sponsor our trash team which has won zero races since 2013 and zero WCCs in the last two decades.

Fortune 500 CEO: Holy poo poo.

Zak Brown: Title sponsors are actually fake.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Fernando Alonso: Let me take a race or two off to race in other events during the year because your car sucks poo poo or else I won't sign a new contract

Zak Brown: Ok

17-18 F1 Off-Season assfucked by a giant dildo with a beard: Zak Brown is a genius

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Human Grand Prix posted:

McLaren can't get a title sponsor because the team and organization believe they are of a higher value than they actually are. Turns out when you underperform for a decade your value to potential sponsors goes down.

Literally the opposite is true lmao. They can’t get a title sponsor because their regular sponsors are paying as much as other teams’ title sponsors.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

Norns posted:

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Ron Dennis: Synergy. Sponsor activations. Major partners.

Zak Brown, holding a shotgun: Ron, there's something you need to see behind the barn.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

wicka posted:

Literally the opposite is true lmao. They can’t get a title sponsor because their regular sponsors are paying as much as other teams’ title sponsors.

Yes the top five finishing teams this year all have title sponsors for 2018, clearly they are doing it wrong and McLaren have figured it out.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

1500quidporsche posted:

Yes the top five finishing teams this year all have title sponsors for 2018, clearly they are doing it wrong and McLaren have figured it out.

Clearly each F1 team is not identical. Petronas and Martini are not paying all that much. Marlboro is obviously a unique situation. Sahara isn’t a sponsor, they own half of Force India. And Aston is laying the groundwork for an engine partnership with Red Bull. None of these things apply to McLaren.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Did you miss the giant BWT Logo on the side of the Force Indias?

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Human Grand Prix posted:

Did you miss the giant BWT Logo on the side of the Force Indias?

What does the word “title” mean

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

1500quidporsche posted:

Was Honda not a title sponsor? They had their name over the garage and were literally forking over truck loads of cash and (lovely) engines.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Did anyone else notice that the latest FIA entry list has Toro Rosso’s team name as “Red Bull Toro Rosso Honda”? Bizarre.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

GramCracker posted:

Was Honda not a title sponsor? They had their name over the garage and were literally forking over truck loads of cash and (lovely) engines.

Yeah in a sense but they weren't really dictating the livery or anything. They definitely could've had a title sponsor and banked the extra cash.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

1500quidporsche posted:

Yeah in a sense but they weren't really dictating the livery or anything. They definitely could've had a title sponsor and banked the extra cash.

And made all their other sponsors wonder why they didn’t get to dictate their livery or have their company name on the garage.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

wicka posted:

And made all their other sponsors wonder why they didn’t get to dictate their livery or have their company name on the garage.

"Hi how much can you pay, the title sponsor is paying this much."

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

1500quidporsche posted:

"Hi how much can you pay, the title sponsor is paying this much."

Let's say sponsors like Chandon and Hilton are paying McLaren 20m, and McLaren wants 30m for their title sponsorship. Why would anyone pay McLaren 30m when they can pay the likes of Williams 15m for the same role? And why would McLaren accept 15 or 20m just to have a title sponsor when it undermines all their current deals and would ultimately result in getting paid less money?

Do you seriously not understand this comically basic concept?

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
marlboro is paying Scuderia Ferrari like 150 millions of dollar and they cant even advertise on the loving car,

mclaren: actually title sponsors doesnt exist anymore

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

wicka posted:

Let's say sponsors like Chandon and Hilton are paying McLaren 20m, and McLaren wants 30m for their title sponsorship. Why would anyone pay McLaren 30m when they can pay the likes of Williams 15m for the same role? And why would McLaren accept 15 or 20m just to have a title sponsorship when it undermines all their current deals?

Do you seriously not understand this comically basic concept?

The reality is Mclaren want $X for their big banner sponsorship and the value simply isn't there for any company to sponsor a lovely team that can barely get into the points. I have no doubt that Martini would've been paying more than either Chandon or Hilton but McLaren thinks finishing 2nd in the WCC is just a year round the corner so they just sit on their hands with these dumb side sponsors.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah Marlboro’s deal with Ferrari is definitely relevant to anything at all, lmfao

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

#ForzaMarlboro

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

1500quidporsche posted:

The reality is Mclaren want $X for their big banner sponsorship and the value simply isn't there for any company to sponsor a lovely team that can barely get into the points. I have no doubt that Martini would've been paying more than either Chandon or Hilton but McLaren thinks finishing 2nd in the WCC is just a year round the corner so they just sit on their hands with these dumb side sponsors.

Read my post again you loving asshat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

You two are seriously dumb

• Locked thread