Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Fart City posted:

Yeah, Empire has one of the best visual gags in the entire series when one of the star destroyers runs into an asteroid and the admiral's hologram just blinks out during a Vader conference call.

That’s a great shot but I never really read it as slapstick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

kidkissinger posted:

Being arrogant about your combat capabilities is one thing.

Completely ignoring an obvious threat is really not the same.

Why didn't Captain Needa launch Tie Fighters in response to the Falcon taking up an attack posture in ESB?

Why does the Empire only send FOUR fighters after the Falcon ever at one time?

Why don't they treat it as the appropriate threat like they should, like, ever? Until TLJ when literally all the TIEs are told to blast it out of the sky?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I'm sorry the movie made fun of the nazi officer.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

AndyElusive posted:

Why didn't Captain Needa launch Tie Fighters in response to the Falcon taking up an attack posture in ESB?

Why does the Empire only send FOUR fighters after the Falcon ever at one time?

Why don't they treat it as the appropriate threat like they should, like, ever?

They did at least shoot at the falcon.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

euphronius posted:

The entire problem with Kylo Ren and the Alt right empire is that these caricatures of male entitlement, arrogance, and fragility actually make for pretty poor villains in a fantasy adventure film.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

euphronius posted:

The more interesting thing is that he's the only Nazi officer who is ridiculed. The commander of the dreadnaught is a 4th wall breaking character who is portrayed as incredibly capable and aware of Hux's flaws. He's really interesting because it's essentially a character addressing the ~tactical realism~ of the film in real time, and one whose ship is the only one that had the power to end the siege

kidkissinger posted:

The entire problem with Kylo Ren and the Alt right empire is that these caricatures of male entitlement, arrogance, and fragility actually make for pretty poor villains in a fantasy adventure film.

How is the First Order the Alt Right?

Waffles Inc. fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Dec 19, 2017

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Waffles Inc. posted:

The more interesting thing is that he's the only Nazi officer who is ridiculed. The commander of the dreadnaught is a 4th wall breaking character who is portrayed as incredibly capable and aware of Hux's flaws. He's really interesting because it's essentially a character addressing the ~tactical realism~ of the film in real time, and one whose ship is the only one that had the power to end the siege

Yeah he def got the "regular German army officer" treatment. I liked it a lot.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

euphronius posted:

Well, that's kinda the problem. It undercuts him as a villain. He starts out looking a fool and never stops. For his next trick he'll shake his fist at the Duke Brothers.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I bet after the hyperspeed ram, Hux is offscreen ranting to his subordinates about how it's SO unfair that the Resistance did that, that they've never done it before and anyway, it's totally unrealistic and shouldn't have worked.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Hux is rehabilitated soon after and his positive and dangerous qualities come to the forefront.

euphronius fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Dec 19, 2017

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Phasma is probably gonna come back in the next one right? But with a burned up half-face and an axe to grind with Finn. And I bet he puts out some banana peels or something for her to slip on

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Hobo Clown posted:

Phasma is probably gonna come back in the next one right? But with a burned up half-face and an axe to grind with Finn. And I bet he puts out some banana peels or something for her to slip on

A secret preview of Phasma's appearance in Ep 9:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfdJGrGfA_Y&t=9s

Necrothatcher fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Dec 19, 2017

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

euphronius posted:

Yeah he def got the "regular German army officer" treatment. I liked it a lot.

Oh yeah this is good, he's the "Clean Wehrmacht".

There's some of the cop from Die Hard in there, too, passive aggressively telling no one in particular what's explicitly happening on screen and what ~tactical realism~ action should be taking

We're supposed to agree with the Dreadnaught commander that yes, that would have been the best way to kill Poe Dameron

It's neat

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

kidkissinger posted:

Kylo is loving great? Like, kylo is a really interesting, dangerous, human character. After years of BIG CGI BAD LAD it's loving rad to have a villain whose on a journey as much as the heroes are.

I'm incredibly interested to see what this dude on the edge of sanity does with the enormous power he cannot weird responsibly. It's going to go poorly for him but poorly for everyone else too. Cool and different.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Hobo Clown posted:

Finn and Phasma were the big letdowns for me and could reasonably have been cut entirely. Rose and BB-8 in Canto Bight would have been sufficient and possibly better.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Kylo is great because for a moment it was believable that he turned. But nope lol he went full space hitler as soon as the throne was empty. And that was also believable for him!! Good character.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

I kind of find it interesting that the two highest ranking people in the First Order are now backstabbing, arrogant, rage-filled kids. If anything, it pushes the organization into a possibly more extremist realm. Palpatine and Snoke both had plans and patience. Ren and Hux strike me being much more dangerous in how immature and reactionary they are. The largest war machine in the galaxy is now run by children, and with Ren's doctrine of "let the past die," feels like it will now be used to act more in the name of personal vendettas, than the larger goal of "ruling the universe."

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Can you just think the movie had tone and script problems without being a neckbeard fanboy? This movie feels bizzarely polarizing, it had some cool bits, but at least for me it never felt cohesive. I wasn't a huge TFA fan however that movie felt a lot less disjointed to me.

This

kidkissinger posted:

He straight up squeals and is used as a punchline.

In the OT people getting force choked was legitimately frightening.

Kinda sums up my thoughts on the First Order / Resistance Plotline. The jokes and Hux being a whipping boy killed all the tension of the situation. Even after the Resistance is near.y wiped it... the movie never feels like they are in danger of failing and losing. Oh we're trapped... Magic Crystal Foxes! Or the Empire figured out we're sneaking off on shuttles... Kamikaze! The only time the try to make things "serious" is when Leia is blasted into Space or I guess when the Bombers get owned, but the former is ruined by Mary Poppins in space and the latter by feeling a lot like a pandering to the Chinese Market move.

Lots of people die, but they are all just random mooks or really thin characters we only just got introduced too like that Holdo person. Or I guess Roses sister, but it doesn't work that well because we don't know that till like 20-30 minutes later.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Kylo screaming at his soldiers to "FIRE EVERYTHING" is an homage to Star Trek 2009, it was great

Jack2142 posted:

Can you just think the movie had tone and script problems without being a neckbeard fanboy? This movie feels bizzarely polarizing, it had some cool bits, but at least for me it never felt cohesive. I wasn't a huge TFA fan however that movie felt a lot less disjointed to me.

This

Kinda sums up my thoughts on the First Order / Resistance Plotline. The jokes and Hux being a whipping boy killed all the tension of the situation. Even after the Resistance is near.y wiped it... the movie never feels like they are in danger of failing and losing. Oh we're trapped... Magic Crystal Foxes! Or the Empire figured out we're sneaking off on shuttles... Kamikaze! The only time the try to make things "serious" is when Leia is blasted into Space or I guess when the Bombers get owned, but the former is ruined by Mary Poppins in space and the latter by feeling a lot like a pandering to the Chinese Market move.

Lots of people die, but they are all just random mooks or really thin characters we only just got introduced too like that Holdo person. Or I guess Roses sister, but it doesn't work that well because we don't know that till like 20-30 minutes later.

The resistance do lose and they do die. Many, many of them die. They are unorganized, squabbling and lead through most of the movie by a leader whose plan is imaginary. In fact there are so few of them that by the end they all fit on the Milenium Falcon.

In fact, the resistance had lost before the action in the film even began

"The First Order reigns."

Your problem seems to stem from the fact that you are unwilling or incapable of feeling empathy for people who died whose faces you do not see. You should think on that.

"but they are just faceless mooks" is a remarkable thing to say

Waffles Inc. fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Dec 19, 2017

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Seriously, did anyone really find Hux intimidating in Force Awakens? Maybe Kylo Ren's 'try-hard' rubbed off on the rest of the First Order, but I always saw the entire group as pretenders to the throne. With that in mind, I have no problem with them being openly mocked in the film, especially by someone as sarcastic as Poe Dameron.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

THe Magic Crystal Foxes don't actually save them.

glitchwraith posted:

Seriously, did anyone really find Hux intimidating in Force Awakens? Maybe Kylo Ren's 'try-hard' rubbed off on the rest of the First Order, but I always saw the entire group as pretenders to the throne. With that in mind, I have no problem with them being openly mocked in the film, especially by someone as sarcastic as Poe Dameron.

Yeah even Snoke has enough of it and tells Kylo to get rid of the cosplay mask. (Tho he's also setting up the internet dating session with Rey).

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

euphronius posted:

THe Magic Crystal Foxes don't actually save them.

Yeah even Snoke has enough of it and tells Kylo to get rid of the cosplay mask. (Tho he's also setting up the internet dating session with Rey).

That whole scene with him smashing the mask just seemed like Disney saying “this element polled really poorly in the first film, so we’re cutting it”

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Mr. Flunchy posted:

A secret preview of Phasma's appearance in Ep 9:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfdJGrGfA_Y&t=9s

This is good, Ep9 will need some humorous slapstick to counteract watching Chewie get vivisected

Capri Sun Tzu
Oct 24, 2017

by Reene
The bombers in the opening scene had to literally fly above their targets to DROP their bombs? Like I get that Star Wars has always been WWII in space, but gravity assisted free-falling bombs aren't going to work IN SPACE.

Also lol at the artillery style laser bombardments from the flagship.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

One of the things I particularly liked about the script was how every major event happened 'in the moment'. There are very few times we know more than the characters do and it gives the film a sense of immediacy and tension.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Capri Sun Tzu posted:

The bombers in the opening scene had to literally fly above their targets to DROP their bombs? Like I get that Star Wars has always been WWII in space, but gravity assisted free-falling bombs aren't going to work IN SPACE.

The TIE bombers flew over their targets in The Empire Strikes Back. Like, we're not explicitly shown it's gravity doing it, but that's the visual language when they're bombing the asteroid.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Capri Sun Tzu posted:

In fact every starship gun we see operated in star wars is a manually operated cannon; that's textual. Why would cannonballs fired from siege engines not arc?

To put it to you another way: why is what you see stupid when it is what you see? Does it not match the specifications in the manual you have for the Kuat-Engralla Engineering created Resurgant Class Star Destroyer?

thrawn527 posted:

The TIE bombers flew over their targets in The Empire Strikes Back. Like, we're not explicitly shown it's gravity doing it, but that's the visual language when they're bombing the asteroid.

There's also this, yeah

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phGlo_TNDp0

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

The bombers were clearly a terrible design as evidenced by the fact that they all shredded like paper after a single one of them went down.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Capri Sun Tzu posted:

The visual dictionary has you covered:

"The MG-100 StarFortress SF-17 relies on a reverse gravity well projector to eject its destructive ordinance. The technology, originally developed by the Imperial Navy to pull ships from hyperspace, relies on Tibanna gas fusion to create a gravity well at the base of the craft known as an interdiction field. Once activated, the ordinance is released and accelerates towards the field and is rapidly 'pushed' away from the craft once it has passed through."

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

kidkissinger posted:

The bombers were clearly a terrible design as evidenced by the fact that they all shredded like paper after a single one of them went down.

Everything in Star Wars shreds like paper unless it's a capital ship with shields or piloted by a protagonist and even then sometimes it still happens.

Also the more main characters that are on a ship the more it can withstand.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal
Hux came to power because his father is the literal co-founder of the First Order(along with an Admiral Sloane) and as a child was even taken under the wing of the man instructed by the Emperor to sabotage the Empire and Rebellion should the Emperor die. His dad was abusive and Hux has been with the FO since the start. He helped enslave and brutally train all the earliest child soldiers that would become Storm Troopers and has a massive entitlement complex because he was there before Snoke AND Kylo. Hes got a massive chip on his shoulder. Read the books, because like SW has always been, a lot of its characters in the movies are vague representations of larger themes until you read the EU, in which the backstory is filled out. Thats always how this franchise has worked.

illectro
Mar 29, 2010

:jeb: ROCKET SCIENCE :jeb:

Hullo, I'm Scoot Moonbucks.
Please stop being surprised by this.
OK So just saw the movie last night and being a guy who likes spaceship games and plays a lot of Armada I had to think about the Weaponized Hyperdrive scene.

As awesome as that moment was, it raises the question of why this isn't used all the time.

The in universe answer is obvious, the magic hyperdrive tracking macguffin gave them the ability to track the cruiser, but also gave the cruise that was being tracked the opportunity to hyperdrive into the ship. I mean I'm sure there's some in universe pseudoscience about tracking the ship by synchronizing hyperspace signatures creating a shared conduit between the two ships enabling the cruiser to perform this maneuver, whereas without this it would drop out of hyperdrive before impact.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

AndyElusive posted:

Everything in Star Wars shreds like paper unless it's a capital ship with shields or piloted by a protagonist and even then sometimes it still happens.

Also the more main characters that are on a ship the more it can withstand.

Why’d the fly so close if they were all cheap firecrackers tho

I’m not trying to obsess over minutiae, I just have a hard time buying into anything this movie presented to me.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

AccountSupervisor posted:

Hux came to power because his father is the literal co-founder of the First Order(along with an Admiral Sloane) and as a child was even taken under the wing of the man instructed by the Emperor to sabotage the Empire and Rebellion should the Emperor die. His dad was abusive and Hux has been with the FO since the start. He helped enslave and brutally train all the earliest child soldiers that would become Storm Troopers and has a massive entitlement complex because he was there before Snoke AND Kylo. Hes got a massive chip on his shoulder. Read the books, because like SW has always been, a lot of its characters in the movies are vague representations of larger themes until you read the EU, in which the backstory is filled out. Thats always how this franchise has worked.

You shouldn’t have to read the books for the movie to make sense.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Capri Sun Tzu posted:

Like in most popular space operas, every ship has artificial gravity, whether it would need it or not. This is true of the bombers as well, even in the bomb bay, as demonstrated by Rose's sister. Now, I have no idea how artificial gravity functions in Star Wars, but I think it's safe to assume they don't extend beyond the ships. The bombs would be affected by said gravity right up until they fell out of the ship, at which point they would maintain their momentum and "fall" towards anything the bottom of the ship was pointed at.

Would it be more efficient to have them be some kind of built in propeller or guidance system? Maybe, but if your going to the trouble of making artificial gravity anyway, why not use it to propel the bombs? Keep in mind the whole point of the opening scene is to demonstrate that the Resistance is on the run, not fully prepared for this battle, and using what little tools they have at their disposal. It also highlights the consequences of war, which is an important theme of the movie, especially in regards to Poe, who planned the bombing run.

Fake edit: Beaten, but i wasted to much time typing this to delete it.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

kidkissinger posted:

Why’d the fly so close if they were all cheap firecrackers tho

I’m not trying to obsess over minutiae, I just have a hard time buying into anything this movie presented to me.

Well there probably isn't going to be any satisfactory answers for you in that case.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Hux is important because he believes in the First Order, and order. He is comic relief around those more powerful than him, but would be frightening to have as a superior.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

AccountSupervisor posted:

Actually it always worked with movies that had nice effects, memorable villains, charming protagonists, a simple story and epic scores from Mr. John Williams.

Perhaps you're thinking of some other franchise?

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

illectro posted:

OK So just saw the movie last night and being a guy who likes spaceship games and plays a lot of Armada I had to think about the Weaponized Hyperdrive scene.

As awesome as that moment was, it raises the question of why this isn't used all the time.

The in universe answer is obvious, the magic hyperdrive tracking macguffin gave them the ability to track the cruiser, but also gave the cruise that was being tracked the opportunity to hyperdrive into the ship. I mean I'm sure there's some in universe pseudoscience about tracking the ship by synchronizing hyperspace signatures creating a shared conduit between the two ships enabling the cruiser to perform this maneuver, whereas without this it would drop out of hyperdrive before impact.

Hyperspace was never not dumb in the same movies as a Death Star. Why bother making a small moon-sized space station -- or any capital ships whatsoever -- when you can strap hyperdrives to some asteroids and calculate their emergence into the upper atmosphere of Alderaan?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

illectro posted:

I like that even more than my excuse, which was just: if they had shields up a hyperdrive attack would be very harmless, but they were complacent about plinking the rebels for hours so took down shields to save on fuel.

Alternative reaching option is that it doesn't happen more because it has WMD-type side effects that gently caress up spacetime in some way.

• Locked thread