Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Why does it matter how the bombers work? It was a clear homage to the World War II aesthetics that inspired Lucas in the original trilogy. And in a universe of contained laser beam swords and outright ghosts, whose to say anything needs to operate by real-world laws of physics?

I'm not trying to be facetious or be a dick here, I'm genuinely curious as to why this is a hold up for some people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nael
Sep 10, 2009
So, in episode 9 who is Finn going to have an emotional reunion with at the end?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

They obviously were not expecting her to turn the ship around and attack.

Because not only was it suicide but it effectively ended the resistance as they have no capital ships. They have a Jedi now i guess tho.

illectro
Mar 29, 2010

:jeb: ROCKET SCIENCE :jeb:

Hullo, I'm Scoot Moonbucks.
Please stop being surprised by this.

homullus posted:

Hyperspace was never not dumb in the same movies as a Death Star. Why bother making a small moon-sized space station -- or any capital ships whatsoever -- when you can strap hyperdrives to some asteroids and calculate their emergence into the upper atmosphere of Alderaan?

Because an asteroid the size of the death star wouldn't completely destroy a planet, and a hyperdriving rock would drop out of hyperspace inside the atmosphere and not retain superluminal energies because of the interference caused by the planet.

Death Star was always an over indulgence, a technological terror which could turn an planet into an asteroid belt when it was just as easy to build something smaller and glass the surface of the planet.

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est
This is an extremely small thing, but when the codebreaker tells Finn: "Let me learn you something very important", that's a way to signal the character's lack of language skills, right? Like the scene in GoT where Jamie Lannister gets chewed out by his dad for being illiterate and Jamie reacts with "I could care less". I mean, I'm not a native speaker, but a gaffe like that would never be unintentional, right?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The Japanese didn't win ww2 and the Kamikaze were not effective overall.

nael
Sep 10, 2009

illectro posted:

Because an asteroid the size of the death star wouldn't completely destroy a planet, and a hyperdriving rock would drop out of hyperspace inside the atmosphere and not retain superluminal energies because of the interference caused by the planet.

Death Star was always an over indulgence, a technological terror which could turn an planet into an asteroid belt when it was just as easy to build something smaller and glass the surface of the planet.

The Death Star was also The Empire totally misunderstanding how to properly rule by fear. You don't make them fear you, you dummies, that just breeds resentment. You make the people fear something else and convince them you're the only ones that can protect them.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9hwGZFPSmw

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

illectro posted:

There's something funky about hyperspace through gravity wells that might make that impossible, but an object the size of the size of the death start moving at any appreciable fraction of c would absolutely destroy a planet.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Meatgrinder posted:

This is an extremely small thing, but when the codebreaker tells Finn: "Let me learn you something very important", that's a way to signal the character's lack of language skills, right? Like the scene in GoT where Jamie Lannister gets chewed out by his dad for being illiterate and Jamie reacts with "I could care less". I mean, I'm not a native speaker, but a gaffe like that would never be unintentional, right?

That’s correct actually, just archaic.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Meatgrinder posted:

Yeah it's a dialogue or character choice that is meant to evoke some sort of shorthand to indicate benecio del toro's "book" intelligence being less-than

It plays with the idea that we are supposed to assume that rich Justin Theroux is competent and BDT is not competent because he is poor and dumb

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

They are also in pretty much in agreement this movie left very little to do in the IX and killed a lot of excitement for the finale.

Wait two years for a 30 minute lightsaber fight between Kylo and Rey

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

kidkissinger posted:

The bombers were clearly a terrible design as evidenced by the fact that they all shredded like paper after a single one of them went down.

Is this a problem with the movie?

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

So Disney decided to do a sequel trilogy but had no idea where they were going with it?

TFA threw a bunch of stuff out and then Rian Johnson was given power to do what the gently caress ever he wanted.

This is going to end up with just three loosely connected movies each made up of jumbled subplots.

Why didn't they sit down and come up with a cohesive over arching story line?

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

kidkissinger posted:

He straight up squeals and is used as a punchline.

In the OT people getting force choked was legitimately frightening.

In a few instances, but Empire has multiple instances of dudes getting straight murdered on screen as a literal punchline.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

This from a few pages got buried, but:

Dork457 posted:

I thought the codebreaker subplot was pretty half baked. I didn't care that he sold them out without any redemption, that seemed fine. But he's in and out of the movie in less time than Phasma was in the first movie. Also he's introduced in such a bizarre way. Firstly you have Maz Kanata delivering the most badly disguised bit of exposition in the whole movie with the implication that she's having a badass firefight that's of no consequence to the main plot while delivering the protagonists a reason to go to the next location.
This. I can stomach the exposition dump at the start of the movie because this is a billion dollar Disney thing and they can't alienate new fans or whatever. But one hour into the movie? This was some serious amateur-hour poo poo. Did they have the backup to the backup director film this or something because god drat.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Deadulus posted:

So Disney decided to do a sequel trilogy but had no idea where they were going with it?

TFA threw a bunch of stuff out and then Rian Johnson was given power to do what the gently caress ever he wanted.

This is going to end up with just three loosely connected movies each made up of jumbled subplots.

This is the story line, you don't think Johnson just did this movie alone and on December 15 everyone at Disney was like "oh poo poo what do we do now?!"

How the gently caress are these movies loosely connected any moreso than Empire and ANH were?

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

illectro posted:

I'm not talking about completely destroying a planet, which isn't necessary. They only needed to wipe out the planet's population, and a few mile-wide asteroids at terminal velocity would suffice. Completely destroying a planet doesn't scare me any more than wiping out all life on it -- I, and everyone I know, is equi-dead. If it's possible to come out of hyperspace inside a solid object, which Han implies is not only possible but sufficiently likely that they need to run calculations first, then there should have been hyperspace bombs materializing in capital ships and on planets the whole time.

I don't care about that, since there are sounds in space and space ships bank like fighter planes in Star Wars. Arcing bombardment and all the other stuff is just more of the same.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
[quote="Deadulus" post="""]
[/quote]

Sounds like it would be a horrible story if everything that happened was required to cross a t on some grand narrative.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

"Loosely connected "

The movie starts immediately after the end of TFA.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
I like that the primary complaint is people who want a story that completely aligns with the fan fiction head canon movie they pre wrote for ep 8.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

I can't watch because of work, but let me take a crazy wild guess here: THEY DIDNT LIKE IT

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

AndyElusive posted:

I can't watch because of work, but let me take a crazy wild guess here: They didn't like it.

in a shocking twist, creeps with bad opinions do not like a good movie

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

This film feels very little like a spiritual, visual, tonal or narrative sequel to The Force Awakens. It's so fundamentally different imo.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Vegetable posted:

This from a few pages got buried, but:

This. I can stomach the exposition dump at the start of the movie because this is a billion dollar Disney thing and they can't alienate new fans or whatever. But one hour into the movie? This was some serious amateur-hour poo poo. Did they have the backup to the backup director film this or something because god drat.

It wasn't great but I think they wanted to establish that Maz is still alive. Also, this is a dive into some things established in one of the newer books, so I think they wanted a small connection to the novels.

On another note, maybe consider adding this to the OP?

http://www.esquire.com/entertainmen...ews&date=121817

Johnson explains a lot in the interview including:

quote:

This is exactly what happened to Luke at the end of The Last Jedi.

I think it’s absolutely drawn directly from Obi-Wan in A New Hope. It’s a slightly different context, but it’s exactly what happens—down to him leaving the robes. That combined with his last words to Leia and his last words to Kylo are very exciting. I didn’t go into it thinking that, but as I started thinking about Luke’s story for this and I started realizing what his arc was going to be, this movie was going to be devoted to following his arc from being this Fisher King character to someone who takes the mantle of his legend back onto his shoulders in order to inspire the galaxy. And I realized that if there’s going to be anywhere in this trilogy to get a moment to do this, it’s here. It’s going to be the place to do it. And I realized it with a growing sense of dread, because no one wants to be the guy who pulls that trigger.

I knew I wasn’t going to be making the next movie—I didn’t know who was going to be making it—but the potential of Luke’s part in the next chapter, no matter what it ends up being, the possibilities are more varied and more exciting with him having passed on into the next realm. The notion of what his place could be in that context actually seemed more exciting to me than him following around the gang with a lightsaber. It seemed like it added the possibilities of more ingredients in the next film that seemed very exciting.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

I understand the complaints about the writing, pacing, specific scenes, etc, but I'm genuinely confused at the people upset about the overarching plot like the petition to have it taken out of the Canon. Were people really invested in Snoke or something?

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Deadulus posted:

I dunno. Here's where The Last Jedi leaves off:

- Rey has communed with the Force, put to bed the mystery of her parents, and has possession of the Jedi texts.

- Kylo Ren has lost his chance at vengeance on Luke, has built a mind-telephone with Rey, and is now Supreme Leader of the First Order.

- Finn has stopped running, cathartically cut his First Order ties, and has openly taken on the mantle of "Rebel Scum"

- Poe has been dealt a severe lesson in humility and patience, and has more or less been set up to be the de facto leader of the Resistance after Leia's death.

A lot of character stuff happens in TLJ, and all of the characters learn lessons along the way. You do a five year time jump between 8 and 9, and any one of those character threads could lead to new and interesting narratives. Frankly, not knowing what's left for 9 has me more excited for a Star Wars sequel than I have been in a long time. It's been awhile since the series felt like it was in so completely uncharted territory.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Bip Roberts posted:

I like that the primary complaint is people who want a story that completely aligns with the fan fiction head canon movie they pre wrote for ep 8.

Failure to align with headcanon is the primary complaint for every Star Wars movie released after the first one.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The incompetence of this space nazi ruins my immersion!

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Vegetable posted:

This film feels very little like a spiritual, visual, tonal or narrative sequel to The Force Awakens. It's so fundamentally different imo.

Even if this were the case, why is that bad? For instance, is Aliens bad because it is an incredibly poor narrative sequel to Alien?

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Waffles Inc. posted:

in a shocking twist, creeps with bad opinions do not like a good movie

They also haven't liked a Star War since around 1988.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Tender Bender posted:

I understand the complaints about the writing, pacing, specific scenes, etc, but I'm genuinely confused at the people upset about the overarching plot like the petition to have it taken out of the Canon. Were people really invested in Snoke or something?

I think it's a comic book mentality where people demand many many issues of back story etc .

Star Wars source isn't comic books tho.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

AndyElusive posted:

They also haven't liked a Star War since around 1988.

They clearly don't even like star wars; they like how movies they watched as children make them feel. That's totally fine, of course, but they very obviously do not like Star Wars

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

Tender Bender posted:

I think its more that whats left to write about is kind of boring. Kylo and Rey lightsaber fight for third time. Hux gets clowned by the plucky rebels. Roll credits.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

euphronius posted:

I think it's a comic book mentality where people demand many many issues of back story etc .

Star Wars source isn't comic books tho.

But can't they do that anyway? Like surely there can be books, comics, etc written if that's what they need. I don't get what happened in this movie that needs to be purged.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Fart City posted:

Why does it matter how the bombers work? It was a clear homage to the World War II aesthetics that inspired Lucas in the original trilogy. And in a universe of contained laser beam swords and outright ghosts, whose to say anything needs to operate by real-world laws of physics?

I'm not trying to be facetious or be a dick here, I'm genuinely curious as to why this is a hold up for some people.

Most of the Physics in Star Wars don't really hold up, I mean, check out the Death Star's gravity, it's side-ways. The hangers on the Death Star are perpendicular to the planet's surface so everything would just fall into the back of the hanger while it's being pulled to the center of the Death Star. It doesn't really matter because it looks cool having the giant side-window that looks into space rather than just a black sky above.

The bombs were just really goofy though because you have no clue what the gently caress is propelling them when they literally could have just shot them via rubber bands to give us some sort of motion. But they don't, they just "drop" when they shouldn't, and not only that, the pilot has no ill effects from being in the open vacuum of space without any protective gear, ok, maybe space isn't dangerous in Star Wars now? But then we see Leia crystalizing as you would if you were in space unprotected so what's with the inconsistency?

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Fart City posted:

A lot of character stuff happens in TLJ, and all of the characters learn lessons along the way. You do a five year time jump between 8 and 9, and any one of those character threads could lead to new and interesting narratives. Frankly, not knowing what's left for 9 has me more excited for a Star Wars sequel than I have been in a long time. It's been awhile since the series felt like it was in so completely uncharted territory.

I think this is what people are struggling with the most about TLJ. It's very long and a lot happens. It takes stamina to keep up with. That part probably isn't a strength of the film but it certainly doesn't make it bad.

The original trilogy was made up of 3 films that were fairly simple in comparison. And, by pushing the series into uncharted territory, some people out of the 1 billion people who saw this are going to be left unnerved or unsatisfied. We only get to see 1 director's vision of this film (which is built upon a whole lot of things Disney and LucasFilm certainly told him to do or not to do) and it's not going to line up with everybody's vision of what they wanted to happen.

tadashi fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Dec 19, 2017

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Deadulus posted:

I think its more that whats left to write about is kind of boring. Kylo and Rey lightsaber fight for third time. Hux gets clowned by the plucky rebels. Roll credits.

I mean... If you were writing it, I guess so.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The bombs make sense because the audience will implicitly understand their function through visual cues.

Show don't tell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

Those things have to happen in some fashion and they really haven't set up much else to occur.

I guess they could throw a huge curve ball of Rey joining Kylo and them killing off the Rebels. Sets up for next trilogy.

• Locked thread