Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

Carbon dioxide posted:

For years, a park somewhere in NL had, in Google maps, not the actual name of the park, but a set of two names that I'm reasonably certain must've been the names of the two ponies that lived in a pen in the middle of the park. Google maps has a thing where you can send in corrections, I think I tried that once or twice but they just ignored it.

It's been fixed now but it took them years.

there's a building near me that has a stupid name on google maps. I've sent in corrections a few times over the past year but it's still the same and it's infuriating :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tough stains
May 23, 2007

Desire gets the upper hand over insight and foresight and the results are often needless entanglement.

Carbon dioxide posted:

Google maps has a thing where you can send in corrections, I think I tried that once or twice but they just ignored it.

I filed corrections - they're pending, it says. Only did that once before, for Mickey Mantle's pub in NY, which they put up within 24 hours.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

A company that laid everyone in my branch office off was, a year later, still trying to act like that branch was still open. I notified Google Maps that the office was indeed closed and they updated it the same day. Revenge, uh, I guess.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Does anyone have that map of recent types of terrorists attacks by type/victim/motivation in germany? Like assaults/arsons/etc?

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Hey, kids! Time for some cRaZy poo poo!

Negostrike fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Dec 19, 2017

Gleri
Mar 10, 2009
Does that map assume that everyone in Western Europe is speaking... Basque variants? I thought the Etruscan language was thought to be non Indo European?

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
I like that the maps explanation of itself is actually contradictory to what it depicts: it says 'what if they never left their homeland but basically every hypothetical homeland is also on the map.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Negrostrike posted:

I like how they treat Arabic as Indo-European.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Negrostrike posted:

There have always been turks in asia minor

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Negrostrike posted:

I am confused.

Why are there humans outside of Africa?

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

whoops wrong thread

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
There are a lot of problems with that map but Iceland being inhabited by Inuits isn't accurate. There's no evidence of human habitation in Iceland before the Irish monks that predated the viking sttlement.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Yeah, an honest map would just be two-thirds "insufficient data."

neamp
Jun 24, 2003
Hmm, yes, Old Europe's indigenous Turkic people.
Though where the hell are those names coming from? I recognize names relating to Raetia, Carantania, Gallia Narbonensis and Iberia, also Euskal = Basque and Rasnal = Etruscan but "Eutan", "Iken", "Skalka", "Skiri"? The cities in "Skalka" all seem to be names of rivers takes from different sources, but no idea what is going on in Britain for example.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

neamp posted:

Hmm, yes, Old Europe's indigenous Turkic people.
Though where the hell are those names coming from? I recognize names relating to Raetia, Carantania, Gallia Narbonensis and Iberia, also Euskal = Basque and Rasnal = Etruscan but "Eutan", "Iken", "Skalka", "Skiri"? The cities in "Skalka" all seem to be names of rivers takes from different sources, but no idea what is going on in Britain for example.

https://pastebin.com/ELK9qULk

Have fun, as the guy who did that map had.

Now of course that map is inaccurate as hell especially about those Inuits in Iceland which is totally whoopedoo but I guess it's supposed to be an alternate reality taking place on present-day where PIE people didn't exist/ever got out of their homeland, Turkic peoples still went into Europe and Arabs didn't for some reason? I kinda admire the research the author made for supposedly pre-IE names though. :shobon:

Negostrike fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Dec 19, 2017

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

I'm the indigenous hungarians in the pannonian basin

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

I’m Massachusetts.

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:

Platystemon posted:

I’m Massachusetts.

How in the hell did New Haven county wind up with so many church tweets, no one is religious here(relatively)

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
How did loving Chicago wind up with that many church tweets drat.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Benagain posted:

And New Orleans so few beer tweets.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Benagain posted:

Black people.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
That whole map is "where are black people?" plus Massachusetts

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

cis autodrag posted:

That whole map is "where are black people?"

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

cis autodrag posted:

That whole map is "where are black people?" plus Massachusetts

It's really not. Compare with a map of % African-Americans:

While it's hard to eyeball the strength of the relationship, it looks at most weakly positive, I dunno maybe they'd have an R^2 of 30% or so?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Squalid posted:

It's really not. Compare with a map of % African-Americans:

While it's hard to eyeball the strength of the relationship, it looks at most weakly positive, I dunno maybe they'd have an R^2 of 30% or so?

there's really no reason why metro atlanta would be blood red but northeast georgia be slightly blue without the black angle here. northeast georgia is super white and deeply religious

really this is just one of those statistical_noise.jpg maps because it's not like the church<-->beer spectrum is oppositional

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
I think I've solved this puzzling enigma:

It's just correlated with religiosity.
The fact that it's "beer" as the comparison is irrelevant. You could put "wine" or "sodomy" or anything with a sufficiently high occurrence rate and get pretty much the same map.

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos

Tree Goat posted:

I think I've solved this puzzling enigma:

It's just correlated with religiosity.
The fact that it's "beer" as the comparison is irrelevant. You could put "wine" or "sodomy" or anything with a sufficiently high occurrence rate and get pretty much the same map.

except this map shows the northeast, especially mass, having an exceptional number of churches. I wonder if this is just from population density or due to the older towns, where even small ones average 5-6 'historic' churches.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Benagain posted:

There are a whole bunch of Catholics in Chicago. Being a huge destination for Irish and Polish immigrants for a century or so can have that effect sometimes.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

rear end struggle posted:

except this map shows the northeast, especially mass, having an exceptional number of churches. I wonder if this is just from population density or due to the older towns, where even small ones average 5-6 'historic' churches.

u.s. catholics don't go to church very often compared to baptists/mormons/evangelicals.

i can't find the actual "church attendance by county" map that i was looking for, so i'm stuck with all these proxy measures.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
The beer vs. church tweet data is also only a single week of data and it doesn't look like it's screening out anything, so things like Church's Chicken would count as church as well.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

rear end struggle posted:

the latter, new england was for a while very attractive to protestant religious dissenters who desired freedom of worship thus the place is riddled with tons of little independent churches

there's some indication of population density on the map but some rural areas stand out as well

also that last quartile, i want to know which county has 3,536 churches :eyepop:

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Probably LA County. That map would be much more useful per capita, since it's basically populationdensity.png as is.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
i tracked down the data (it's Churches and Church Membership in the United States, 1990. Roper Center for Public Opinion Research, University of Connecticut) and the top five counties in terms of number of churches are pretty much what you would expect

1. Los Angeles, CA - 3536
2. Cook, IL - 2181
3. Harris, TX - 1361
4. Maricopa, AZ - 1266
5. Kings, NY - 1147

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I like how the county where I grew up was both most churches and most beer tweets, which...yeah that checks out.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Lord Hydronium posted:

Probably LA County. That map would be much more useful per capita, since it's basically populationdensity.png as is.

LA county is also incredibly diverse with every major religion/sect on the planet as well as smaller independent churches, new age cults, and native language churches for a hundred different immigrant communities. Once you start counting things like the weird Adventist splinters that meet in strip malls and Hmong language parishes it adds up.

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!

This Is What Bulgarians Actually Believe.

im the godless new england and cascadia

e: no actually, im the godbothering confederacy

colorado and utah are also a really funny pair, isn't it true that utah cops are huge assholes to anybody coming from the direction of colorado or with colorado plates?

SaltyJesus fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Dec 19, 2017

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

New England might not be so much irreligious as it is full of liberal Protestants with the "a church isn't a building" mindset. Some of my relatives are like that.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

SaltyJesus posted:

cops are huge assholes to anybody

Hmmm, yes, quite.

Tweezer Reprise
Aug 6, 2013

It hasn't got six strings, but it's a lot of fun.
You're forgetting rich white people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

SaltyJesus posted:

colorado and utah are also a really funny pair, isn't it true that utah cops are huge assholes to anybody coming from the direction of colorado or with colorado plates?

I think since weed was legalized every state surrounding Colorado just parks cops on every road leading out to catch people trying to smuggle out.