Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

that is way longer than I thought it'd be

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Kanos posted:

I could definitely buy Endeavor not morphing into a total dickhole until later in life(i.e. around the time Shoto was conceived) when he had become old enough to believe he would never personally surpass All Might, which in turn would lead to him becoming truly abusive and driving his wife off the deep end and traumatizing Shoto.

Isn't that what his flashback during the All for One fight basically state? That his inability to even get near to the power of All Might started to break him.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Endeavor really shouldn't get a redemption arc.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
That was awful to read.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Mordaedil posted:

That was awful to read.

Yeah. "His family isn't covered in scars and constantly huddling in corners, frightened and weeping, so maybe he isn't actually abusive at all??? well maybe mental abuse but let's just completely ignore that one and move right along to my Todoroki-Is-Deku's-Brother-And-Endeavor-And-Nighteye's-Secret-Anti-AFO-Plot that somehow makes more sense than my detailed defense of an abuser."

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

It also ignores that the family members he doesn't think are worth the effort he basically ignores which is another form of abuse.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

This person is a moron and as funnily mentile as their theory sounds I am not loading 84 more images.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Radish posted:

It also ignores that the family members he doesn't think are worth the effort he basically ignores which is another form of abuse.

I got to a point where he was comparing the "Don't talk to your brothers" frame with the frame of him talking to his sister, saying that it's fine now because Endeavor lets him speak with his family now. But we're not show anything of him speaking to his brothers, or even shown those brothers as far as I know, so that simplification just ignores them entirely. I gave up on that point, as it doesn't seem like a good summary, even if I do agree that Endeavor is, very broadly speaking, not as bad as he's being made out to be.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Did someone say "domestic abuse apologetics spread over 90 images?"

how did you guys know my ACTUAL FAVOURITE THING!

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I will admit the blood type thing is an unusual and interesting little detail, not that I believe it makes Shoto and Deku related.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Mraagvpeine posted:

I will admit the blood type thing is an unusual and interesting little detail, not that I believe it makes Shoto and Deku related.

It's almost definitely just a small mistake from Horikoshi. After all, I doubt many people know that you need a special mutation if you have AB blood to have a son whose blood type is O. Hell, I didn't know until reading the trivia on the MHA wiki's Endeavor page.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
I'm not clicking on the link because I'm at work rn and all but if the "trivia" alluded to here is that Deku and Todoroki somehow have the same blood type or whatever, then that's wrong.

This was even a plot point because it affected Stain's quirk

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

Dragonatrix posted:

I'm not clicking on the link because I'm at work rn and all but if the "trivia" alluded to here is that Deku and Todoroki somehow have the same blood type or whatever, then that's wrong.

This was even a plot point because it affected Stain's quirk

That's not what it's about.

It's about the fact that Endeavor is a good boy.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Remember that thing in Batman Beyond where Terry's parents having a child with black hair was incredibly unlikely from a genetic standpoint? So they decided at the last minute to say that he was actually secretly Bruce's son the whole time, and undermined everything important about the character in the process?

Remember how loving stupid that was?

Because that's basically what this literal abuse apologist is trying to do.

Edit: The only good Deku-With-Powers AU is the one where he gets a combination of his parents' quirks so he gets pyrokinesis.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Dec 19, 2017

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

PMush Perfect posted:

Remember that thing in Batman Beyond where Terry's parents having a child with black hair was incredibly unlikely from a genetic standpoint? So they decided at the last minute to say that he was actually secretly Bruce's son the whole time, and undermined everything important about the character in the process?

Remember how loving stupid that was?

Because that's basically what this literal abuse apologist is trying to do.

Edit: The only good Deku-With-Powers AU is the one where he gets a combination of his parents' quirks so he gets pyrokinesis.

Yeah that retcon by Justice League after Batman Beyond had finished still really annoys me.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

This is no Hyuga Family Eugenics Masterplan, that's for sure.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

Mordaedil posted:

That was awful to read.

Yeah i stopped halfway, which was still too far into it.
I feel dirty now.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
In conclusion, Endeavor is a land of contrasts.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
Endeavor is very clearly a good hero who is also a bad person, but a lot of people try to argue that his good hero aspects counteract his being a bad person. This one in particular just goes way too far into it, and then throws a very dumb theory out there to cap it off. I couldn't even sort of read the whole thing, but went back and skipped to the end to see what people were talking about with Deku.

LightningKimba
Nov 5, 2010

Unleashing my best...

LUMINARY UPPERCUT!!

I do appreciate that My Hero Academia has a very huge cast of characters who feel unique in some way. Endeavor being the 2nd best hero, seeing this in action in the anime, presents that despite his rude behavior and his family related issues, he does have the talent.

At the same time, I could understand that it’s hard to feel “okay” with a character who has abused their family to some degree. I’d like to think that the argument presented was to show that Endeavor, like every character in MHA, has gray areas and depth to who they are, but they also have issue presenting their points strongly.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
after all might gets depowered doesn't endevor have a inner thought that goes like "what the gently caress was all that for then?" implying the forced marraige and abuse?

also it's pretty obvious most of endevor's abuse is emotional/psychological

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
All this endeavor talk has me hyped for this next chapter

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I didn't think that the post was that bad. a bit convoluted but it's not really that stupid. I don't think it's out of the question for Endeavor to turn out to not be so bad.

Blaze Dragon posted:

It's almost definitely just a small mistake from Horikoshi. After all, I doubt many people know that you need a special mutation if you have AB blood to have a son whose blood type is O. Hell, I didn't know until reading the trivia on the MHA wiki's Endeavor page.

I would hope that the guy who wrote a character whose powers specifically worked around blood types would know about how blood types are inherited.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Elfgames posted:

after all might gets depowered doesn't endevor have a inner thought that goes like "what the gently caress was all that for then?" implying the forced marraige and abuse?

also it's pretty obvious most of endevor's abuse is emotional/psychological

I thought it was more like "I put all this effort in to beat this guy and then he went and lost it all regardless of me." Like he was mad that he gained the top #1 spot because of events that largely didn't involve him.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

mabels big day posted:

I would hope that the guy who wrote a character whose powers specifically worked around blood types would know about how blood types are inherited.

The way blood types are viewed in Japan can be rather...superstitious. It's possible that Horikoshi just thought a blood-type-based power would be cool. Or that Endeavor just has cis AB, if you're looking for a Watsonian explanation.

I'm pretty sure Todoroki's mother, at least, thinks he's Endeavor's son, or else she wouldn't have scarred his fire side like that. Though Todoroki actually being Midoriya's half-brother is an entertaining crack theory.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Radish posted:

I thought it was more like "I put all this effort in to beat this guy and then he went and lost it all regardless of me." Like he was mad that he gained the top #1 spot because of events that largely didn't involve him.

Worse than that (from Endeavor's perspective): All Might went out with a bang in such a way that Endeavor will never be able to surpass him now. Endeavor will always be #1 with an asterisk; there's always going to be the niggling thought (at least in his own mind) that All Might would be better if he still had his powers.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

its cool that a guy who has never experienced abuse made a huge theory about how endeavour isn't actually an abuser bc his kids were happy playing in a flashback

even cooler that someone thought it was smart to post it

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Just popping in to say I love this series. Started with the anime a few weeks ago and finished it, thought I'd wait for the next season to start.

Last night I read the Manga up to bakugo getting captured and I can't handle the insanity.

Tarodia
Jan 13, 2008

Winners don't do drugs
I stopped reading at "this is not the face of a person that was abused" and I'm gonna look side eyed at everyone who continued after that

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Kingtheninja posted:

Just popping in to say I love this series. Started with the anime a few weeks ago and finished it, thought I'd wait for the next season to start.

Last night I read the Manga up to bakugo getting captured and I can't handle the insanity.
Oh are you in for a treat. :allears:

Stay out of the thread until you're caught up though, we're terrible about spoilers.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Kild posted:

its cool that a guy who has never experienced abuse made a huge theory about how endeavour isn't actually an abuser bc his kids were happy playing in a flashback

even cooler that someone thought it was smart to post it

I didn't post it because I agreed with it.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Silver2195 posted:

Worse than that (from Endeavor's perspective): All Might went out with a bang in such a way that Endeavor will never be able to surpass him now. Endeavor will always be #1 with an asterisk; there's always going to be the niggling thought (at least in his own mind) that All Might would be better if he still had his powers.

Endeavor, the Tom Brady of anime.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

Tarodia posted:

I stopped reading at "this is not the face of a person that was abused" and I'm gonna look side eyed at everyone who continued after that

That's right around where I stopped. It made me a bit actually angry.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

"endeavor abused his family but not as much as you guys think!!!" is a weird hill to die on and idk what that guy was trying to prove with it but he sure did put a lot of effort into his endeavor apologist theory

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

Manatee Cannon posted:

"endeavor abused his family but not as much as you guys think!!!" is a weird hill to die on and idk what that guy was trying to prove with it but he sure did put a lot of effort into his endeavor apologist theory

Two points he made that are worth exploring IMO are:

1) When it comes to his retellings, Shoto is an unreliable narrator. This is true of basically all of MHA's characters and is part of what makes it good, in my view.
2) The only evidence of Shoto's abuse comes from his mother.

There's a whole lot of fluff and needless poo poo in that massive picture dump outside of that, though. I think it is interesting to look at Endeavor's desires to have Shoto surpass All Might be in relation to One for All. That's a pretty huge stretch from what we know about the series though, so we'll see. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Sarcophallus posted:

1) Shoto might be lying about being abused
2) Shoto's mother might be lying about being abused
What the actual gently caress is wrong with you

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Sarcophallus posted:

Two points he made that are worth exploring IMO are:

1) When it comes to his retellings, Shoto is an unreliable narrator. This is true of basically all of MHA's characters and is part of what makes it good, in my view.
2) The only evidence of Shoto's abuse comes from his mother.

I mean there was that one flashback that we see of Endeavor causing five year old Shoto to throw up and then yelling at his mother to stay the gently caress out of it when she said "Jesus, he's only five". That's pretty starkly "Endeavor 100% definitely was abusive".

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Like I said, even if there's anything to the theory, I'm perfectly fine with things the way they are. Cause there's no way it's going to clear Endeavor completely. And as far as I'm concerned, I'm not a fan of someone who only abuses a little as opposed to a lot. They're both seriously lovely. Endeavor does not need any tiny bit of redemption.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Why are you all twisting so hard to make Endeavor a good guy.

He isn't even that interesting a character. All he has is the contrast between being a good hero and an insanely lovely person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

They think he's...

hot. :j: