Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Homeless people breaking into your car and pissing on the seats is just penance for the middle class supporting ponzi scheme trickle down economics for decades. God is just and has a sense of humor. Namaste

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

ISRAEL DOESN'T HAVE CIVILIANS THEY'RE ALL VALID TARGETS
I'm a huge dickbag ignore me
Except homeless people aren't breaking into middle class neighborhoods to do that, homeless folks can't get there because there's no transit system to the suburbs. And if they ever did show up they'd be pretty instantly picked up and arrested by the cops in those areas who don't have anything better to do.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Thalantos posted:

Except homeless people aren't breaking into middle class neighborhoods to do that, homeless folks can't get there because there's no transit system to the suburbs. And if they ever did show up they'd be pretty instantly picked up and arrested by the cops in those areas who don't have anything better to do.

For context, they got the robot for a neighborhood where the median home value is over $1M.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Trabisnikof posted:

For context, they got the robot for a neighborhood where the median home value is over $1M.

And an average income of 10,000 to 27,000 a year.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

And an average income of 10,000 to 27,000 a year.

Maybe years ago. The mission now has a median income above $90k.

Median rent is over $3k a month, so few poor people who can afford to still live there.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Raspberry Jam It In Me posted:

Homeless people breaking into your car and pissing on the seats is just penance for the middle class supporting ponzi scheme trickle down economics for decades. God is just and has a sense of humor. Namaste

and maybe, just maybe, if the government gave those homeless money every month, they will spend it on rent.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

Trabisnikof posted:

Hiring a human guard would be better for the community and more humane than having a private robot patrolling streets and harassing people and/or enforcing the law.

Assuming the SPCA could afford a human guard, that is (let alone afford to pay one what would qualify as a living wage with local housing prices). Plus the security robot in question is little more than a camera on wheels - it has no more potential to be inhumane than a human guard (less if you consider that it has no capacity to commit any sort of violence). As for the community, we're talking about patrolling mostly during a time when most of the community is asleep - I doubt human vs. robot would make much difference there.

Any way you slice it, there's just no excuse to go pinning the blame on people who only want to deter bona fide crime while the government fails to solve anything on account of some quasi-religious aversion to spending money to help people.

Tasmantor
Aug 13, 2007
Horrid abomination

Cockmaster posted:

Any way you slice it, there's just no excuse to go pinning the blame on people who only want to deter bona fide crime while the government fails to solve anything on account of some quasi-religious aversion to spending money to help people.
Citizen you have been found guilty of homelessness, 25 years in the cubes!

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Tasmantor posted:

Citizen you have been found guilty of homelessness, 25 years in the cubes!

Are these cubes catered?

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Tasmantor posted:

Citizen you have been found guilty of homelessness, 25 years in the shame cubes!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Judge Dredd is looking optimistic, given they instituted welfare to look after the millions of people who can't get jobs because of robots. And at least one of the cops cares about the rule of law and prosecuting corruption.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

What I was saying is that the moment you allow robots to be police or soldiers, the 1% will not need the 99 % to be around. They can order the robots to kill 1 million people, and delete all related files as if nothing happened.

Is our job to figure out how to fix Capitalism before we get there.

StabbinHobo
Oct 18, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
what if they don't kill the 99%, they just let it be increasingly financially impossible to raise children, while also providing free 'family planning' medicine

problem takes care of itself in like 60 years

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

StabbinHobo posted:

what if they don't kill the 99%, they just let it be increasingly financially impossible to raise children, while also providing free 'family planning' medicine

Are you the guy out front of planned parenthood clinics trying to tell all the black women that go in about your pet theories about how abortion is genocide?

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

StabbinHobo posted:

this will be too logical for humans.

and some of them want people with a worse life to feel superior, to feel they are winning (because other people is losing)

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Are you the guy out front of planned parenthood clinics trying to tell all the black women that go in about your pet theories about how abortion is genocide?

gently caress off with this disingenuous bullshit.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Solkanar512 posted:

gently caress off with this disingenuous bullshit.

"maybe birthcontrol is a rich person genocide plan" is like literally a thing people think now, not some spooky future thing.

StabbinHobo
Oct 18, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
no i'm all for it, any way we knock a few billion off the headcount asap without war/famine/genocide is great to me

edit: this got off topic

watch this video and tell me you don't get a liiiitle bit gay for robots https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1Mf5Rfwlvs

StabbinHobo fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Dec 18, 2017

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

Inescapable Duck posted:

Judge Dredd is looking optimistic, given they instituted welfare to look after the millions of people who can't get jobs because of robots. And at least one of the cops cares about the rule of law and prosecuting corruption.

Matt Damon’s Elysium could also be a good look at the future, since it has a lot of super poor people just kind of milling around between working lovely soulless jobs and being policed by an unsympathetic justice system staffed by robots.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
I wonder how corrosive to society it is that current american pop culture fiction has been stuck on dystopias for several decades.

Like other times and places mixed it up, look back at 1960s sci-fi or Japanese sci-fi or whatever and you see them mixing it up between "the future is going to all go wrong and suck" and "here is a pretty okay future and we made up some stuff that might be cool if someone invented" but the US has sorta just put it's food on the dystopia peddle and rarely let off.

Like it's so obvious whenever anyone mentions anything that everyone is so able to barf out 50 hit movies from the past 5 years about how awful everything is but the opposite is always some weird lol anime or doctor who from england or a book from 1947. Like culture gives people so many words to talk about how doomed everything is and so few words to even think of any problem being solved or different problems existing in the future or whatever.

Like "the original star trek" is pretty much everyone's only touchstone for talking about anything hopeful, but everyone can rattle off brainlessly 50 movies about how bad every aspect of everything that exists is going to be soon.

Owlofcreamcheese fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Dec 19, 2017

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I wonder how corrosive to society it is that current american pop culture fiction has been stuck on dystopias for several decades.

Like other times and places mixed it up, look back at 1960s sci-fi or Japanese sci-fi or whatever and you see them mixing it up between "the future is going to all go wrong and suck" and "here is a pretty okay future and we made up some stuff that might be cool if someone invented" but the US has sorta just put it's food on the dystopia peddle and rarely let off.

We build Ziggurat Vertigo, that gigantic building in the center of Metropolis. Then made a robot the AI to control the whole city. But slaves always revolt, and this one did too, and the city got destroyed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YeStLris-Q

Science-optimism is dead, so humanity is looking for other type of optimism. Religion-optimism or Comunism-optimism or Capitalism-optimism is not much better.

These that are not in the search for a new optimism are taking selfies in the narcissus lake.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Ted Chiang has an article that is kind of relevant here.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/tedchiang/the-real-danger-to-civilization-isnt-ai-its-runaway?utm_term=.gfG9z2L4x#.ng9bo8mz4

The problem is the #1 rule of corporatism is increasing shareholder value, and the pool of who can afford to be a shareholder is so limited and selfselecting. It's a really common mixup for humans, we take the means by which we measure and make it the only goal. The teaching for the test problem.

I know this is very fuzzy.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Like it's so obvious whenever anyone mentions anything that everyone is so able to barf out 50 hit movies from the past 5 years about how awful everything is but the opposite is always some weird lol anime or doctor who from england or a book from 1947. Like culture gives people so many words to talk about how doomed everything is and so few words to even think of any problem being solved or different problems existing in the future or whatever.

Like "the original star trek" is pretty much everyone's only touchstone for talking about anything hopeful, but everyone can rattle off brainlessly 50 movies about how bad every aspect of everything that exists is going to be soon.

I don't think the problem is pessimism, the problem is the failure to conceive of a future different from the present. A pessimistic book can at least get people to act differently. To use Star Trek as an example, they didn't make on that was set after Voyager, they just constantly revisit past eras over and over again. Usually a fictional property suffers when the fanboys get into the writers room and create their own fanfic but what we have is just the cynical comodification of nostalgia.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Dystopian fiction has been around a long rear end time.

Metropolis has strong dytopian themes. Hell, even during the 60s and 70s dystopias and post-apocalyptic was a thing.

I think there is a Chicken and the Egg aspect too. People have a feeling of decline. That feeling is reflected in Art.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Are you really surprised that science fiction writers favor settings that create natural conflicts? You don't set your book/movie/tv show in the future or near future if your setting is going to be "well, I guess everything is basically fine but better and more advanced."

Your point here is also kind of weird and offbase, because 90s Trek was a lot more optimistic than the original series while also being more popular and culturally relevant. Its writers also struggled constantly against Gene Roddenberry's need for the future to be perfect and good because that cut off most of the interesting stories. Dark and gritty sci-fi didn't become commonplace until after 9/11, and likewise economics-focused dystopian stuff started getting more common after 2008. Popular sci-fi is pretty reactionary and likely reflects how people are feeling rather than the other way around.

TheBalor
Jun 18, 2001

Paradoxish posted:

Are you really surprised that science fiction writers favor settings that create natural conflicts? You don't set your book/movie/tv show in the future or near future if your setting is going to be "well, I guess everything is basically fine but better and more advanced."

Your point here is also kind of weird and offbase, because 90s Trek was a lot more optimistic than the original series while also being more popular and culturally relevant. Its writers also struggled constantly against Gene Roddenberry's need for the future to be perfect and good because that cut off most of the interesting stories. Dark and gritty sci-fi didn't become commonplace until after 9/11, and likewise economics-focused dystopian stuff started getting more common after 2008. Popular sci-fi is pretty reactionary and likely reflects how people are feeling rather than the other way around.

The Culture books by Iain Banks run into this problem of perfect futures. The people of the Culture itself are essentially eloi given eternal paradise by a cabal of godlike Civ 6 AIs with the directive to max smiley faces in each city. That makes it impossible to set a novel entirely within the Culture itself, so everything is about either someone from the outside coming into the Culture, or the Contact/Special Circumstances groups of the Culture dealing with a crisis.

They also encounter Earth in one short story, consider uplifting us, and decide instead to just plant some drones and see whether we blow ourselves up instead.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Xae posted:

Dystopian fiction has been around a long rear end time.

Of course. I am absolutely not claiming no one ever used to write dystopias or that other countries never write dystopias or anything. But you absolutely can look back to 1950s fiction and see people bothered to write both. Futures where stuff was better and futures where stuff was worse. Or cool futures that still had problems instead of just being always sadsack words in every aspect.

But in current american pop culture it's crapsack world after crapsack world and the only language anyone has to talk about any new thing is to say "oh like X movie", "oh like Y movie" where those movies are always about the awful failed world of X and Y. People used to be better about exploring the whole range of stories in pop culture and you'd get stories where robots were cool buddies to go on an adventure with on the shelf next to the story where killer robots kill us all and people could reference one or the other or both when talking about things.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Tei posted:

Is our job to figure out how to dismantle and permanently Capitalism before we get there.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Of course. I am absolutely not claiming no one ever used to write dystopias or that other countries never write dystopias or anything. But you absolutely can look back to 1950s fiction and see people bothered to write both. Futures where stuff was better and futures where stuff was worse. Or cool futures that still had problems instead of just being always sadsack words in every aspect.

But in current american pop culture it's crapsack world after crapsack world and the only language anyone has to talk about any new thing is to say "oh like X movie", "oh like Y movie" where those movies are always about the awful failed world of X and Y. People used to be better about exploring the whole range of stories in pop culture and you'd get stories where robots were cool buddies to go on an adventure with on the shelf next to the story where killer robots kill us all and people could reference one or the other or both when talking about things.

There’s just a real lack of good sci-fi these days, I think part of the reason is probably because pop culture in our capitalist society is by its nature self reinforcing. Everyone wanted to make the dark night after it came out, every action and/or super hero movie was “gritty” and “dark” after that, why? Investors want to make money, and one strategy is to try to recreate what’s worked in the past.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

ElCondemn posted:

There’s just a real lack of good sci-fi these days, I think part of the reason is probably because pop culture in our capitalist society is by its nature self reinforcing. Everyone wanted to make the dark night after it came out, every action and/or super hero movie was “gritty” and “dark” after that, why? Investors want to make money, and one strategy is to try to recreate what’s worked in the past.

Nah.

In the 50s they where excited with Atom energy and Space Travel. You can see some of that in the Fallout games, a society that look at nuclear energy with hope and optimism.

Is common sense If we can get to the moon in 50 years, in another 50 years we will be exploring the moons of Saturn. So Space Exploration is hot too, in a 50's mindset.

Then we discovered nuclear power is a skull with crossed bones, and the potential to wipe all humans in the planet 5 times. So that optimism dies.

The only cool thing we have managed to produce is the Internet, and is a amazing thing. But we are not has excited has we should with the Internet. We should be loving amazed to have a computer in our pants connected to the wikipedia so we can answer almost everything we can think of. But we are not, we are pessimistic and we see both the advantages of technologies and the problems of technology. With the internet we have access to all the information we may want, but information is not education, information is not formation, information can deform and uniform has much can form and inform.

Technology don't sell has much has it use to do. Thats the only reason we don't see more science fiction.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Tei posted:

The only cool thing we have managed to produce is the Internet,

I would think what is "cool" is the most influenced by the culture of the media around it. Like this topic started when people were talking about a thing then people had to come in and let all the movies they knew that were about it roll out of their mouth so they could all dutifully recite "it's like elysium", "It's like judge dredd" ect. Like it's not even an opinion, media existing and being popular is enough to be like required comparison for whatever the thing is.

Like after the human genome project if some studio had spent a ton on some blind kid who got his eyes genetically altered to whatever whatever some super power. Then forever after that any time anyone mentioned eyes or genes or genetic engineering everyone would say "yeah! like johnny gene eyes!" and every conversation would frame through that forever and ever in the public. Movies work as ads for things. If every movie about space made it seem like studying ants sorting tiny screws in space then people would be way more sour on space than if it's a cool place you and your friends can go to have adventures.

Like sadsack movie after sadsack movie seems like it's only allowed people to talk easily about dystopian futures. (at the same legitimate worries make dystopian future more popular as a genre). Till every situation you can imagine starts with everyone shuffling in to list the 5 hit movies that told them that thing was bad.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Is a feedback loop. Movies are made about what is cool and define what is cool. A better example would be smoking in movies.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Tei posted:

Nah.

In the 50s they where excited with Atom energy and Space Travel. You can see some of that in the Fallout games, a society that look at nuclear energy with hope and optimism.

Is common sense If we can get to the moon in 50 years, in another 50 years we will be exploring the moons of Saturn. So Space Exploration is hot too, in a 50's mindset.

Then we discovered nuclear power is a skull with crossed bones, and the potential to wipe all humans in the planet 5 times. So that optimism dies.

The only cool thing we have managed to produce is the Internet, and is a amazing thing. But we are not has excited has we should with the Internet. We should be loving amazed to have a computer in our pants connected to the wikipedia so we can answer almost everything we can think of. But we are not, we are pessimistic and we see both the advantages of technologies and the problems of technology. With the internet we have access to all the information we may want, but information is not education, information is not formation, information can deform and uniform has much can form and inform.

Technology don't sell has much has it use to do. Thats the only reason we don't see more science fiction.

Eh, there is actually a shitton of sci-fi movies and television shows coming out each year, more than ever before, at any point of history. High quality stuff just as much as trash (comic book adaptations, etc.). Some of it is optimistic, some of it is pessimistic :confused:

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Sorry for self-driving car related chat but FYI Anheuser-Busch announced they had placed an order for 40 of these, and PepsiCo announced they had ordered 100, and then today UPS topped that again with an order of 125 Tesla Semi trucks.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Rastor posted:

Sorry for self-driving car related chat but FYI Anheuser-Busch announced they had placed an order for 40 of these, and PepsiCo announced they had ordered 100, and then today UPS topped that again with an order of 125 Tesla Semi trucks.

Reminder that AnheuserBusch has alrrady successfully delivered beer with an autonomous truck. One of the big waves of unemployment is about to get cracking.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
The first sign of the AI singularity will be when a truck realizes it's currently fulfilling its designed purpose of hauling Bud Lite Lime-a-rita and accelerates into oncoming traffic.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

If I know anything about AI singularities the actual outcome will be an exponentially increasing amount of global industrial output being directed into converting all of Earth's oceans into Bud Lite Lime-a-rita

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Tei posted:

Is a feedback loop. Movies are made about what is cool and define what is cool. A better example would be smoking in movies.

Yeah, I agree with that some. Movies reflect what people want but also shape what they want. It's depressing how obviously movies shape the dialog around some things. Where just saying a title becomes a shorthand for the whole concept and people only know the titles to movies that show one specific thing.

Like god, even something like the movie aliens which definitely 100% made people more racist against aliens also made people want two legged fork lifts way out of line with the amount that would even be useful or good. New movies just seem opposed to even having anything just presented any aspect of any future as anything but as glum as possible nonstop. Till it smooths out people's brain till they just say "It's like judge dread!" "it's like looper!" as a knee jerk reaction to any idea even if a stupid remote control segway with some cameras on it is actually nothing at all like judge dread.

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

It’ll definitely happen at the business level that some merchandising AI is gonna poo poo the bed and start ordering and stocking just the weirdest stuff until some human nominally supervising it notices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tasmantor
Aug 13, 2007
Horrid abomination
Wtf poo poo are you dribbling OOCC, that guy said homelessness was a crime, that's some hyper authoritarian poo poo, just like judge dredd. gently caress me you can't take a joke without running it through your hosed up fo filter of why everyone else is wrong and dumb.

• Locked thread