Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Drink how you want and if anyone says it isn't manly, punch their eye.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

I almost always drink my stuff neat, but I just picked up a bottle of Old Grandad Bonded and am finding myself throwing ice in it to mellow out the bite a little bit.

emotive fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Dec 19, 2017

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

sean10mm posted:

Rule Zero is that a person can drink their whiskey however they drat well please.

My personal rule of thumb is to try it neat first, and if I don't like that then to try adding a bit of water and/or ice, or make an Old Fashioned out of it.

If it's still bad then just dump it into coke/ginger ale.

If it can somehow ruin soda then it's just poo poo.

If WT101 with plenty of ice is wrong then I don't want to be right.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Josh Lyman posted:

Macallan 30 is bullshit. I've had 2 pours on someone else's tab and I still prefer Yamazaki 18.
I bought a pour of Macallan 18 this weekend and it was... meh.

I'd rather just drink Macallan 12 for less than half the price and Lagavulin over both of them.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Dec 19, 2017

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
I’ve bought a good 30 bottles of whisky this year and haven’t finished a single one. I enjoy just sipping an ounce or two at night.

It’s like I’m playing whisky Pokémon.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

Mandalay posted:

I’ve bought a good 30 bottles of whisky this year and haven’t finished a single one. I enjoy just sipping an ounce or two at night.

It’s like I’m playing whisky Pokémon.

I keep doing this because every time I buy a new bottle I'm not that into it so I keep trying to find something I love. I'm mostly a scotch drinker with the occasional rye but trying to expand my horizons into bourbon but I just can't find anything I really love.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

Josh Lyman posted:

I bought a pour of Macallan 18 this weekend and it was... meh.

I'd rather just drink Macallan 12 for less than half the price and Lagavulin over both of them.

Macallan is expensive whisky and seems to be getting more expensive. The distillery is something like 4 times the size it was 10 years ago too. Congrats Edrington I guess.

Capri Sun Tzu
Oct 24, 2017

by Reene

CoolHandMat posted:

i usually end up letting the ice melt a bit before enjoying burbon rye. is that sacrilegious in general? or does it just depend on the quality / type of whiskey one is drinking?
Many whiskey fans will encourage you to add a splash of water. It can help bring out flavors that would get masked by the high proof. For me it just depends on what I'm drinking, some stuff tastes better neat, some stuff better chilled or on ice.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

I don't care for ice mostly because it chills the whisky and the rate of dilution is unpredictable. A splash of water is a specific amount of dilution that doesnt change temperature or dilution over time.

drink however you want though, that's just my pref.

Capri Sun Tzu
Oct 24, 2017

by Reene
Yeah, the thing about ice is that it puts your drink on a clock. I definitely prefer my higher proof whiskey's straight from the freezer, though.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
I got a tray for making bigass oversized ice cubes that barely fit in the glass, they dilute more slowly (and also don't cool as quickly, go figure) but mainly they just look cooler in a glass of booze.

mentalcontempt
Sep 4, 2002

I had posted earlier about picking up some whiskey with holiday funds. I ended up getting a few bottles that I had been interested in: Redbreast 12, Compass Box Great King Street, Monkey Shoulder, and Dickel No. 12. I went for the blended scotches as I thought they might be a way to ease into getting more of a taste for scotch. First I should say I don’t know a lot about tasting or describing individual notes, so sorry if I use the wrong terms below.

The Redbreast is my favorite out of the bunch; I enjoy it neat. I thought the Great King Street was also good neat, and seemed “balanced” in terms of dominant flavors. Seems to have been a good choice for an approachable entry.

The Monkey Shoulder had a fantastic nose, but I felt there was a medicinal / iodine-y finish that dominated any sweetness or fruit from the nose. So I made an Old Fashioned with a little Demerara sugar and orange bitters, and thought it was fantastic. The finish that had bugged me earlier was a nice counterpart to the sweetness of the cocktail.

Dickel 12 was a disappointment; I think perhaps I just don’t like Tennessee whiskey and the charcoal mellowing process. Didn’t have the flavors I enjoy in whiskey.

I also got an inexpensive bottle of French brandy that I am really enjoying... not whiskey, but tasty.

I am wondering, given my reaction to Monkey Shoulder - what would be an option for something where that sort of bitter or astringent flavor is more balanced with sweetness or fruit notes?

I almost picked up some Famous Grouse because I thought it might fit that bill based on its components, but held off on that one.

Oh yeah, and I got a little airplane bottle of WT101 since I’ve never tried it and it seems popular.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
Monkey Shoulder is bad at normal strength, but quite drinkable when diluted to about 35%. My problem with it is mostly the young alcohol burn.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe

mentalcontempt posted:

The Redbreast is my favorite out of the bunch; I enjoy it neat.

One of us. One of us.

No_talent
Jul 30, 2009

What are you're guys' thoughts on "Infinity Bottles", when you toss the last oz or so of your whiskey into a single bottle?

I've been doing this, and decided to combine all whiskey with 1oz ore less. So far with Canadian Rockies 21yr, 1792 Bourbon store pick, Knob Creek 120 store pick, Caribou Crossing (Single barrel from Sazeracs Canadian barrel houses). It's been a really neat experiment as the blends change. Right now it's sitting as this oily maple/caramel beast with underlying almond and peppery flowers.

mentalcontempt posted:

I also got an inexpensive bottle of French brandy that I am really enjoying... not whiskey, but tasty.

You are a smart person. Brandy(and all its variations; cognac, armagnac, calvados) have crazy good value.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

No_talent posted:

What are you're guys' thoughts on "Infinity Bottles", when you toss the last oz or so of your whiskey into a single bottle?

I've been doing this, and decided to combine all whiskey with 1oz ore less. So far with Canadian Rockies 21yr, 1792 Bourbon store pick, Knob Creek 120 store pick, Caribou Crossing (Single barrel from Sazeracs Canadian barrel houses). It's been a really neat experiment as the blends change. Right now it's sitting as this oily maple/caramel beast with underlying almond and peppery flowers.

I like it a lot, but only throw in whiskies you like at least a bit on their own, don't put in trash whisky.

And have two separate bottles, one for peated/smokey and one for not. Otherwise the peat will overwhelm everything else.

good jovi
Dec 11, 2000

'm pro-dickgirl, and I VOTE!

I do one bottle for bourbon-ish whiskys and one for scotch-ish. I like it as a way to keep my cabinet tidy. Otherwise, I'm going to leave that bottle with a finger left in the bottom in there forever, not wanting to finish it off. But if I pour it into an infinity bottle, it lives on forever!

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

I just put money in the Magic Fingers!
I'm currently "aging" a Poor Man's Pappy. I'm going to crack it for my birthday next month and I'm very optimistic.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

You all that can have multiple bottles going and can leave a little bit at the bottom of a bottle are impressive. That poo poo does not last long enough at my house.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Internet Explorer posted:

You all that can have multiple bottles going and can leave a little bit at the bottom of a bottle are impressive. That poo poo does not last long enough at my house.

buy more. :v:

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Hey how did I miss this thread? I love whisky. Especially scotch whisky!

Actually reading the last couple pages made me want a drink, and I am almost out of good scotch :( just over half a bottle of Caol Ila 12yo left... I should get around to spending a ton of money on some Lagavulin 12yo (the one case where the less-aged one is way, way better than the standard 16yo) and Caol Ila Cask Strength, two of my all-time favorites.

I've also been wanting to buy some Bowmore or Highland Park, what's the best (that can actually be found and afforded by not-rich people) type of those?

OSheaman
May 27, 2004

Heavy Fucking Metal
Fun Shoe
This has probably been covered in the thread before, but: for someone who is kind of educated but not really about whiskey, what books would you recommend that are both good factually but also not so dense that I'd fall asleep after a few pages? I'm primarily interested in learning more about whiskey as a bartender/consumer rather than getting into the distilling business myself, if that narrows things down.

Testro
May 2, 2009

TorakFade posted:

Hey how did I miss this thread? I love whisky. Especially scotch whisky!

Actually reading the last couple pages made me want a drink, and I am almost out of good scotch :( just over half a bottle of Caol Ila 12yo left... I should get around to spending a ton of money on some Lagavulin 12yo (the one case where the less-aged one is way, way better than the standard 16yo) and Caol Ila Cask Strength, two of my all-time favorites.

I've also been wanting to buy some Bowmore or Highland Park, what's the best (that can actually be found and afforded by not-rich people) type of those?

Based on your other likes, I'd recommend Bowmore 15 year old Darkest. You can pick it up for around £40-45.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

OSheaman posted:

This has probably been covered in the thread before, but: for someone who is kind of educated but not really about whiskey, what books would you recommend that are both good factually but also not so dense that I'd fall asleep after a few pages? I'm primarily interested in learning more about whiskey as a bartender/consumer rather than getting into the distilling business myself, if that narrows things down.

I like ralfy on the utubz. He's great. Not a book but it's where I've learned a lot from.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
I can't take ralfy seriously because no whisky actually has 40 discernible tasting notes like he always rattles off. Whisky Bitch's palate is closer to mine if you can get over her boisterous character.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

I've been digging It's Bourbon Night, too, but they're less informative about whisky knowledge and more about just fun people to watch.

OSheaman
May 27, 2004

Heavy Fucking Metal
Fun Shoe
I should clarify: I enjoy specific reviews, but I'm more looking to get into the nuts and bolts of whiskey, how it works, what the different styles are, how to talk about whiskey to laymen, maybe some good non-classic whiskey cocktails, etc etc etc. Rather than an individual opinion about Buffalo Trace, if that makes sense.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
I would also be interested in a book like that.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

OSheaman posted:

I should clarify: I enjoy specific reviews, but I'm more looking to get into the nuts and bolts of whiskey, how it works, what the different styles are, how to talk about whiskey to laymen, maybe some good non-classic whiskey cocktails, etc etc etc. Rather than an individual opinion about Buffalo Trace, if that makes sense.

Ralfy tends to start his videos with the review, then go into details about the specific distillery or style or whatnot, usually with recommendations of other similar whiskies. He rambles a bit sometimes, but in a cool grandpa/uncle kinda way.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

OSheaman posted:

I should clarify: I enjoy specific reviews, but I'm more looking to get into the nuts and bolts of whiskey, .

If possible, visit a distillery. Then attend a tasting put on by distillers, you'll be able to chat up the guys who make the stuff and learn anything you want to know. Sorry, I don't have a book recommendation.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

I want to try a bourbon with some decent age on it. Any suggestions for a 15+ year age statement, preferably cask strength. I'm not picky, but the age statements on the pappy's have me curious about older Bourbons.

GrAviTy84 fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Dec 23, 2017

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!
There was a shitload of george t stagg for this year wasn't there? I've never had it but it seems to more or less fit what you're looking for

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
The only bourbon I've had over 15 years was Elijah Craig 18 and imo it was spent, too much aging.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
I had a 30 year old Bourbon at a wedding. It was awesome. They had a whiskey tasting table where you could try various whiskeys and the favor was a mini engraved tasting glass (I can't remember the name but the tulip type).

Anyway, you were only supposed to try it once but they needed to finish the bottle at the end of the night. Getting drunk on 30 yr old Bourbon was awesome. I don't think it's worth the price though.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

gwrtheyrn posted:

There was a shitload of george t stagg for this year wasn't there? I've never had it but it seems to more or less fit what you're looking for

There was a lot of stagg this year, but all it really means that stores might get 2 bottles for their raffles/good customers/owners instead of one

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k
Very good Christmas haul imo

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

2DCAT posted:

Holy loving poo poo

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
:stare:

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
Blessed Image.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

2DCAT posted:

Beautiful family you have there.