Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

dreadbox made the shittiest module i ever bought, they dont understand eurorack and i kinda doubt they understand synthesizers

My Erebus is fine, but either I'm not understanding it entirely (which is not just possible, but likely) or it's a very one-trick-pony kind of box. It does that one trick very well, though.

I was told by the local Dreadbox dealer that I should think long and hard before buying dreadbox modules. Can't remember the specific reasons why, but they were weird, like the modules exposed really bizarre patch points but hardwired others, and some stuff was flat-out labeled incorrectly or in a way nobody else would do it? It was a strange conversation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!
yeah i got the reflector and its output is line level for some fukken reason

i emailed the store that sold it and the mfr, the mfr said it was supposed to be like that and the store wouldnt take it back

gently caress dreadbox

e: wtf is wrong with you dreadbox!!?? modules should output modular levels unless its specifically designed as a line level output cheese and rice!!!

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary

Gringostar posted:

with the extra $500 i would get either an 0-coast or one of the dread box semi-modulars personally

also, if you haven't checked out the tc electronic $50-60 pedals you should

they're mostly just repackaged behringer pedals but the delays are great, the flange and chorus are good, and reverb and fuzz decent for the money

I'm looking at a BOSS RV-5 for reverb as it has a really nice shimmer, though the digitech polara is intriguing me too. for delay, the tc flashback 2 excites me the most, but i've only briefly looked into pedals at all

Flipperwaldt posted:

There's some serious "up to a maximum of" caveat poo poo going on with that; beware.
cool, thanks for the heads up. i'll keep an ear out

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Plavski posted:

I'm looking at a BOSS RV-5 for reverb as it has a really nice shimmer, though the digitech polara is intriguing me too. for delay, the tc flashback 2 excites me the most, but i've only briefly looked into pedals at all

cool, thanks for the heads up. i'll keep an ear out

Check out the Zoom MS-70CDR too. It's technically a chorus/delay/reverb multipedal thing but has ballooned into also having compressors and bitcrushers and a few other random algos. I use it mostly for reverb though and it's great. Can't say how it compares with the RV-5 since I don't own one, but when I was testing them I found I liked the Zoom better than the BOSS on whatever synth in particular I happened to be testing it with (I think it was a Mopho?)

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

MockingQuantum posted:

Check out the Zoom MS-70CDR too. It's technically a chorus/delay/reverb multipedal thing but has ballooned into also having compressors and bitcrushers and a few other random algos. I use it mostly for reverb though and it's great. Can't say how it compares with the RV-5 since I don't own one, but when I was testing them I found I liked the Zoom better than the BOSS on whatever synth in particular I happened to be testing it with (I think it was a Mopho?)

Oh hey, it models the BlueSky shimmer, nice! Okay, well that just rose to the top of my list straight away, thanks!

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Plavski posted:

Oh hey, it models the BlueSky shimmer, nice! Okay, well that just rose to the top of my list straight away, thanks!

It's definitely one to check out before buying, but I'd heartily recommend it. The caveat is only because not every modeled pedal is a home run hit, and a lot make the mistake of really trying to make it clear what pedal they're copying but fall short of achieving what is a really classic and identifiable tone.

That said, there's like 50 modeled pedals in the thing so a handful being not amazing is hardly something to lose sleep over. Only other caveat I'd throw out there is that it's a bit fiddly to set up pedal chains in it so I tend to not switch out pedal models as often as I expected to.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

MockingQuantum posted:

It's definitely one to check out before buying, but I'd heartily recommend it. The caveat is only because not every modeled pedal is a home run hit, and a lot make the mistake of really trying to make it clear what pedal they're copying but fall short of achieving what is a really classic and identifiable tone.

That said, there's like 50 modeled pedals in the thing so a handful being not amazing is hardly something to lose sleep over. Only other caveat I'd throw out there is that it's a bit fiddly to set up pedal chains in it so I tend to not switch out pedal models as often as I expected to.

I see it got an update recently too, adding another 51 effects to the 86 already in the box. Sounds like it's a pedal that still has after-market support too, so that's quite nice. And at $100, that's quite a steal.

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
A used Flashback x4 can be found for ~$140. It's a solid delay, but I think a lot of people end up selling it to help pay for one of the $300+ big box delays (Strymon Timeline, BOSS DD-500, Source Audio Nemesis, Eventide TimeFactor/H9, Empress Echosystem). Delay pedals have gotten ridiculous over the past decade or so. There are so many solid choices at nearly every price point. The Flashback Triple Delay is also worth consideration. It's basically three flashbacks shoved into the x4's frame that can be run either in sequence or in parallel.

The reverb pedal market has grown the same way, but I never cared as much about reverb as I did delay. I have a Hall of Fame variant, but I would pickup the Polara if I was buying one now. I don't hear a big difference between the main competitors, but I do like that the tails switch is on the front of the Polara.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

Know Such Peace posted:

A used Flashback x4 can be found for ~$140. It's a solid delay, but I think a lot of people end up selling it to help pay for one of the $300+ big box delays (Strymon Timeline, BOSS DD-500, Source Audio Nemesis, Eventide TimeFactor/H9, Empress Echosystem). Delay pedals have gotten ridiculous over the past decade or so. There are so many solid choices at nearly every price point. The Flashback Triple Delay is also worth consideration. It's basically three flashbacks shoved into the x4's frame that can be run either in sequence or in parallel.

The reverb pedal market has grown the same way, but I never cared as much about reverb as I did delay. I have a Hall of Fame variant, but I would pickup the Polara if I was buying one now. I don't hear a big difference between the main competitors, but I do like that the tails switch is on the front of the Polara.

For cheap delays that do a lot for the buck, look at the EHX Canyon. Even has a basic looper pedal built into it.

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

Plavski posted:

the polara is suppose to be the lovechild of the supernatural and hardwire reverbs, which is a good thing

also, unless you're totally in love with the exact sound a pedal makes i would never spend more than $150 on a pedal as I've found that boutique pedals are seldom worth the prices they demand

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Gringostar posted:

the polara is suppose to be the lovechild of the supernatural and hardwire reverbs, which is a good thing

also, unless you're totally in love with the exact sound a pedal makes i would never spend more than $150 on a pedal as I've found that boutique pedals are seldom worth the prices they demand

b-b-b-but... the big sky!

i agree with you tho, my budget is very much in the sane area for a delay, reverb and "misc" pedal. and if i can get one like that zoom that does all that and more, for a fractional price, then huzzah!

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

Know Such Peace posted:

theres still not a pedal to match a digitech time machine is there? oh well guess ill hafta get that 4ms tapographic delay :getin:

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

Plavski posted:

b-b-b-but... the big sky!

i agree with you tho, my budget is very much in the sane area for a delay, reverb and "misc" pedal. and if i can get one like that zoom that does all that and more, for a fractional price, then huzzah!

real talk

the only pedals that i would break the $150 rule on would be a select few eqd pedals and the boss re 20, the later because it sounds loving incredible with synths

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Is there any other category of pedals that really makes synths shine? I had a couple of synths that felt kind of unremarkable or lifeless until I sent through verb/delay, which was very much an "oh I get what people like about these now" kind of moment. But besides verb/delay, I can't think of a type of pedal that seems like it would make a huge difference or really bring out the goodness for a synth. I'm no pedal expert though so my knowledge is limited.

Edit: Oh and I bought a used DOD Boneshaker on a whim for my guitar and it turns out it's a really useful distortion for synths. Who knew?

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

MockingQuantum posted:

So I was looking around and people were saying that the MS-50G was actually the better pedal now. As it has most of the delay and reverb stuff from the 70, but also has comp, overdrive and amp modelling too thanks to the V3 firmware. So it has 172 different effects, including that sweet rear end bluesky shimmer, and it's cheaper. It's mono in and stereo out though, while the 70 is stereo in, stereo out.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Plavski posted:

So I was looking around and people were saying that the MS-50G was actually the better pedal now. As it has most of the delay and reverb stuff from the 70, but also has comp, overdrive and amp modelling too thanks to the V3 firmware. So it has 172 different effects, including that sweet rear end bluesky shimmer, and it's cheaper. It's mono in and stereo out though, while the 70 is stereo in, stereo out.

It's entirely possible. iirc when the two were released the 70 was definitely the "effects" unit and the 50 was amp modeling and distortion, but I'm not at all surprised that gap has closed, since they're basically the same guts in different chassis.

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

MockingQuantum posted:

Is there any other category of pedals that really makes synths shine? I had a couple of synths that felt kind of unremarkable or lifeless until I sent through verb/delay, which was very much an "oh I get what people like about these now" kind of moment. But besides verb/delay, I can't think of a type of pedal that seems like it would make a huge difference or really bring out the goodness for a synth. I'm no pedal expert though so my knowledge is limited.

Edit: Oh and I bought a used DOD Boneshaker on a whim for my guitar and it turns out it's a really useful distortion for synths. Who knew?

muff based fuzzes are loving pro

high gain distortion is great unless you have an ms-20 which already has one of the best distortions ever

chorus of course since that was a key part of the juno series

flange is a maybe since it's just a modulated comb filter, phaser, drive and boost i never liked on synths

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

MockingQuantum posted:

the right gain staging is even more important. when i feel like the mono/polys too clean for what i want ill run it through the moog LPF which is my fave distortion  or just go nuts in the rack :wink: 

Gringostar posted:

muff based fuzzes are loving pro
gently caress tha police i 8 playin with no fuzz :wink:

Gringostar posted:

high gain distortion is great unless you have an ms-20 which already has one of the best distortions ever
gain staging mother fukker do you speak it :colbert:

Gringostar posted:

chorus of course since that was a key part of the juno series

flange is a maybe since it's just a modulated comb filter, phaser, drive and boost i never liked on synths

chorus and flange are just delay :goonsay:

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

the right gain staging is even more important. when i feel like the mono/polys too clean for what i want ill run it through the moog LPF which is my fave distortion  or just go nuts in the rack :wink: 
gently caress tha police i 8 playin with no fuzz :wink:
gain staging mother fukker do you speak it :colbert:

chorus and flange are just delay :goonsay:

chorus can also be pitch :eng101:

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
i have a pog2 and it's awesome. not so much making a synth shine, more like sending it through a portal to an alternate dimension. coupled with a reverb it can really transform your synth into a different instrument.

i also loaned a boss RV-5 from a friend but am kinda underwhelmed by it. the reverb isn't quite long enough to get really crazy sound. it's OK at everything but lacks the awe factor. but but, he promised to sell it to me for 80 bucks so i am tempted to buy it just in case it clicks at some point.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
I've bitten the bullet and bought my first synth (Microbrute) and while I've put my extremely limited VST amateur experience to use to figure out the knobs and stuff, I've got two rather basic questions to ask:

1) What's the point of filter's keyboard tracking knob? I mean, I understand what it does, but I don't really get what's the reasoning for its existence. Is this effect trying to emulate the behavior of some particular kind of instrument or something?
2) This one will be really embarrassing - as my robot farts from the sequencer sound different depending on what key I pressed to have it playing, what exactly is the relation between the key I pressed and whatever I recorded into sequence? Does it simply shift the whole thing to begin at what was pressed?

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008

Lichtenstein posted:

2) Does it simply shift the whole thing to begin at what was pressed?
Someone else will probably be better equipped to answer your first question, but I can answer this. It does exactly what you said and transposes the sequence. Check out the synth classic “I Feel Love” by Donna Summer with production help by Giorgio Moroder for how it might be used in a song.

Edit:

MockingQuantum posted:

Is there any other category of pedals that really makes synths shine?
Phasers can elevate a synth's sound, particularly when they are set to a slow speed for pads. It's a classic sci-fi/atmospheric type of patch.

Know Such Peace fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Dec 18, 2017

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever

Flipperwaldt posted:

There's some serious "up to a maximum of" caveat poo poo going on with that; beware.

The comb filter will chew this up, doubling WT osc too iirc. Otherwise it's more honest than a lot of synths in that regard. Looking at you old Rolands :/

XenoCrab
Mar 30, 2012

XenoCrab is the least important character in the Alien movie franchise. He's not even in the top ten characters.

Lichtenstein posted:

I've bitten the bullet and bought my first synth (Microbrute) and while I've put my extremely limited VST amateur experience to use to figure out the knobs and stuff, I've got two rather basic questions to ask:

1) What's the point of filter's keyboard tracking knob? I mean, I understand what it does, but I don't really get what's the reasoning for its existence. Is this effect trying to emulate the behavior of some particular kind of instrument or something?

I guarantee someone else can give a much better answer, but there are two reasons I can think of:

1) Having the filter close as you player lower on the keyboard removes more and more high frequency content, and vice-versa for playing up the keyboard, which may be desirable for the sound you want (i.e., you don't want any higher frequencies for bass notes, but might want some for mid-range notes).
2) If the filter is self-oscillating when the resonance is cranked (as the Microbrute's is) then you can use key-tracking to "play" the filter (effectively creating another oscillator).

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

keyboard tracking is great as playing the filter can produce some lovely sounds

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

Gringostar posted:

chorus can also be pitch :eng101:
cant bypass the delay on the echophon :getin:

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

keyboard tracking helps a synth emulate p much all acoustic instruments, which have more high frequency content with higher notes

its also a wonderful opportunity for modulation of all sorts of parameters

loga mira
Feb 16, 2011

WON'T SOMEONE PLEASE THINK OF THE NAZIS?
There's more to it than playing the filter. You can get something resembling a sine out of a synth what don't got a sine. It's also a way to make the cutoff frequency hover above the note so the sound doesn't get dull or cut off on higher notes. Basslines and in general, sound more "articulated" with some tracking, especially with resonance cranked. On some synths when the filter starts to sing it overdrives the amp and it's a tone of its own, and with good tracking you can play it. And in general some tracking gives a more natural and dynamic sound.

Clavavisage
Nov 12, 2011

MockingQuantum posted:

i have a ms-100bt which i forgot had an IOS app for additional effects, some of which cost money but...
"All add-ons in the StompShare App are NOW FREE! 116 modules include amps, distortions, modulation, compressors, synths, pitch shifters and more. The MS-100BT and the App are discontinued and no longer supported or updated."

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

I can totally see someone not figuring out the point of key tracking on a two octave keyboard like the Microbrute has.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
Can you guys recommend a really metallic, cold but modern synth? I returned the Dark Energy, mostly because it had a faulty power outlet but it was just too, uhh, spacey i guess? It had plenty of aggression but the sound was mostly warm analogue. I'm looking more like, cold industrial type of sound. Dark ambient, industrial and so on. I could do all this on the Digitakt if you could sample it onto itself through an effects loop, but since it's not possible I need a synth.

Also whats your thoughts on Elektron's Monomachine? One is available for cheap locally and I'm kinda tempted, I really like the workflow on the Digitakt.

Dyna Soar fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Dec 19, 2017

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

The Minilogue is pretty cold and metallic. For some that's a strike against it, but it could be a nod in its favour for you.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Dyna Soar posted:

Can you guys recommend a really metallic, cold but modern synth?
The Venom got slighted everywhere for being that, I think.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
What are the conditions to satisfy the modern criteria?

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

ynohtna posted:

What are the conditions to satisfy the modern criteria?

Easily available, midi controllable and not super expensive.

There's a sale on T-store, I could get both a Waldorf Streichfett and a Roland D-05 for 500 euros. I'm kinda tempted.

I watched a bunch of youtube videos and those two synths seem to be pretty close to what I'm looking for.

Here's a bunch of reference songs of the sounds i'm after. I kinda know what synths they used, but it's all hard to get vintage stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aErp0Ioa1Qo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dl1JE9yWgrs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rsroAO7D3s

Dyna Soar fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Dec 19, 2017

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

I really thought the Microbrute was pretty cold, especially if you really pushed the saw and the filter overdrive.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

Chainclaw posted:

If loose wires aren't a problem, and you don't have dust / pet / children to worry about, and currently only need a few units of rackspace, the most simple solution is a rack stand. I've got one of these and it's good value for the cost.
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/TableRackStd

If you want something that you can enclose easily, and are slightly handy, then DIY from furniture, especially Ikea, is a good way to go. A surprising amount of cheap furniture matches the 19" rack standard. Specifically Ikea's Rast and Lack.

If you're a little more handy, then a complete DIY rack isn't a bad idea. Two by fours are cheap, rails aren't quite as cheap. You can build something that matches the size you need for probably less than $10 in wood and $8 to $40 in rails. Here's a page I had followed loosely to build my own once.

If you do go DIY, I recommend getting at least two blank rack panels. You can install these into your rails, and then use that to mark up and set everything up. Makes it much simpler to handle all the measuring.

There are also all the usual rack solutions you see at Guitar Centers and other stores. Those are often built for travel and to take a beating. If your rack mounted stuff isn't moving around a lot, you don't need to spend that much.

There are also other interesting solutions, like desks with racks built in.

Lastly, check Craigslist for 19" racks. Because music and servers use the same standard, there are a lot of interesting used options out there. If you can find a company going out of business or growing/shrinking, you can probably get some of their old hardware for cheap.

Once you have the rack, powering it is pretty simple. Most rack modules use standard power plugs like you would plug into the wall. Think of the rack mounted surge / conditioners as specialty convenience power strips. The difference between ones you probably have elsewhere in your house is that they are built to mount into the rack and probably built to better isolate things to prevent noise.

As you're figuring this out, you can pick things up as you find them. If you get a rack and don't yet have a power conditioner, you can use a power strip you have laying around your house (at the cost of potential signal noise from the power). If you have a conditioner and not yet a rack, you can just pile your rack gear up loosely and start using it.

JamesKPolk posted:

Its servers but everything matters less. The only thing you need to worry about is that its 19"/1u dimensions, I wouldn't bother with a fancy server rack as music stuff is way less temperature critical. In one cabinet I have I run everything via a racked power conditioner, which is cool, in another its just to a surge protector, and I don't notice a huge difference.

You're gonna pay a surcharge for a "rack cabinet" versus the screws, an appropriate cabinet w/ the right dimensions, the rails, and labor.

Ikea does a Rast thing that easily converts into a 6u rack cabinet or an 8u with more finagling.

I think I figured this out. Lot of good cheap server rack options out there since I deal with dust and pets, so I actually would want to get something they can't mess with when I'm not around.

I see a lot of very reasonably priced 19" tall server racks with wheels and glass door going around £100-200. They seem like the ideal thing for me in the future.

The Lack conversion looks really nice and stylish though. I wish I could've gone that route if my situation was a bit different.

Thanks for the help.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

Dyna Soar posted:

Easily available, midi controllable and not super expensive.

There's a sale on T-store, I could get both a Waldorf Streichfett and a Roland D-05 for 500 euros. I'm kinda tempted.

Gotcha.

Yeah, the D-05 could definitely fit the bill.

Leftfield retro suggestions, which'll require patience depending on your local second-hand market (which'll probably see a rise in options in a couple of weeks): Korg Wavestation, Kawai K5/K5000, Casio CZ series, Yamaha SY85, Kurzweil K2000.

Sound design suggestions to sculpt the result: comb filters, phasers, tight EQ, gritty mid-fi digital effects.

It's funny to me that cold and metallic tonal palettes are no longer easy to find due to the synth companies over-reacting to all their negative 90s gear reviews by somewhat single-mindedly fixating on "warm; analogue; fat; knobs." Meanwhile, the modular domain gets a large influx of LCDs, digital processing, and rotary encoders. Swings and roundabouts.

e: Forgot to mention the Kurzweil!

ynohtna fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Dec 20, 2017

Dr. Video Games 0081
Jan 19, 2005
So much of the cool digital stuff was dirt cheap when I was first looking into synths around 2000, 2001. If it didn't have knobs and resonant filters no one wanted it. I didn't have money as a dumb kid or I should've bought more stuff then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave

Elektron posted:

Status update on Digitakt OS
As we approach the end of the busiest year in Elektron’s history, we regret to inform you that, despite tremendous effort, we will not have the new Digitakt OS ready until next year. We’re sincerely sorry for the inconvenience, and we’re working hard to get it done.

lol

i loving knew it