Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Turtlicious posted:

I think it's clear we got some wealthy rear end dudes in this thread.

I'm starting to suspect that website isn't on the level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

TheScott2K posted:

Pretty much everyone has said they neither want nor need their cut

But they *do* need it, because when they are old and weak the Republicans will have destroyed every support for them, so they need to hoard the $500 a year their masters are deigning to allow them.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
My God if that Virginia delegate wins her race by 1 vote I will laugh and never stop.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Turtlicious posted:

You should take a look in the business subforum, what you'll see there will blow your loving mind.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling

Turtlicious posted:

My bad, please continue to tell us how the tax cut benefits you. I am happy to hear about your piece of the blood money!

I think it’s kinda encouraging and neat that so many wealthy posters are posting negatively about this tax plan

Cru Jones
Mar 28, 2007

Cowering behind a shield of hope and Obamanium

TheScott2K posted:

Pretty much everyone has said they neither want nor need their cut

I wouldn't mind a tax cut, I just would want it financed by the blood of the 0.1% not the less fortunate.

BIG MEATY SHITS
Mar 13, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Soiled Meat

SHOAH NUFF posted:

I think it’s kinda encouraging and neat that so many wealthy posters are posting negatively about this tax plan

KNew
Sep 16, 2007

Yu does not care for puns

RuanGacho posted:

I'm starting to suspect that website isn't on the level.

https://twitter.com/maximlott

Yeah probably not

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

SHOAH NUFF posted:

I'm such a leftist Statist I think UBI should be our fun money and everything else should be taken care of.

:catstare:

I hadn't even looked at it, how the gently caress did you idiots fall for this?

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
https://twitter.com/ByYourLogic/status/943213761552404482

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug
I’m kinda wondering how long it’ll take between this bill passing and the stock markets realizing that the gains were all a speculative bubble and everyone pulling out of the market, simultaneously. Will it be long enough to blame on the tax bill fueling wild speculation, or sooner than that where Greasy Shitstain Liar Kelly Ann Conway can stand up in front of a camera and blame Obama policies for dooming the economy before the Great White Tax Bill could help lift the burden from the job creators?

Either way, 2018’s gonna suck poo poo. Time to batten down the hatches and prepare for an unemployment stint.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Lol the balance of the entire Virginia state legislature is hinging on one single vote. Can't make this poo poo up.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Those posters showing savings are indeed aware that it is, indeed, a farce doomed to die for the sake of no one but the worst among.

It is simultaneously cold comfort among those for whom this bill is immediate murder by legislation.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Agreed. A number of my friends are aghast at how much they're going to save, despite not needing the money and being on track for retirement.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Lol the balance of the entire Virginia state legislature is hinging on one single vote. Can't make this poo poo up.

Some guy from Newport News deciding whether we get a Medicaid expansion

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

Alter Ego posted:

My God if that Virginia delegate wins her race by 1 vote I will laugh and never stop.

LAUGH WITHOUT CEASING

LANDSLIDE SYMONDS BABY

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Office Pig posted:

Those posters showing savings are indeed aware that it is, indeed, a farce doomed to die for the sake of no one but the worst among.

It is simultaneously cold comfort among those for whom this bill is immediate murder by legislation.

I'm saying I'm pretty sure those numbers make all the most generous possible assumptions and may in fact be completely wrong. Like the output could be "the money you'll save over the entire 10 years"

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

there are still (a) absentee ballots left to recount and (b) one single, lonesome, provisional ballot left to count

this gonna get crazy

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
I think some people read that the bill favorited billionaires and translated that in their head to only being tax breaks for only billionaires. And are now lashing out that it gave up to dozens of dollars a month to some randoms and it ruins their talking point that it was only a tax break for the billionaires and now they have to say some longer "it raises and lowers taxes on various rich and not rich groups in a way that disproportionately favors the rich groups at a large cost to society"

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Absentee and especially provisional tend to favor Democrats don't they? Except for military absentee

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Absentee and especially provisional tend to favor Democrats don't they? Except for military absentee

Absentee, depends on the state (basically if they have early voting it does, if they don't it doesn't). Provisional, yes.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Gonna be a bummer if the Democrat wins and then the absentees flip it back but man what the hell either way.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I think some people read that the bill favorited billionaires and translated that in their head to only being tax breaks for only billionaires. And are now lashing out that it gave up to dozens of dollars a month to some randoms and it ruins their talking point that it was only a tax break for the billionaires and now they have to say some longer "it raises and lowers taxes on various rich and not rich groups in a way that disproportionately favors the rich groups at a large cost to society"

It's showing your tax bill for 2018. Your tax bill for 2025 will be higher (the tax bill for the billionaires and the corporations will still be lower, though).

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

In ... less fraught Trump news, it's curious how his very use of language has become anathema:

http://maristpoll.marist.edu/1218-whatever-loses-ground-but-retains-annoying-word-title/

quote:

The recent addition of “fake news” takes second place with 23%

Eight percent of Americans deemed “huge” to be the most irritating word or phrase spoken in casual conversation.

Two of his trademark catchphrases are the single most annoying things 31% of Americans can imagine.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

RuanGacho posted:

I'm such a leftist Statist I think UBI should be our fun money and everything else should be taken care of.

:catstare:

I hadn't even looked at it, how the gently caress did you idiots fall for this?

It seems about the same as what other sites have been estimating.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Office Pig posted:

it's not immediate murder for basically-anyone, don't be weird and dumb

it's possible for something to be very bad without directly killing people

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Dietrich posted:

It's showing your tax bill for 2018. Your tax bill for 2025 will be higher (the tax bill for the billionaires and the corporations will still be lower, though).

If we're lucky a new and more reasonable tax bill will be written by then as a replacement, after the republicans are all publicly executed booted from office

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

Macklin, you son of a bitch

Turtlicious posted:

I think part of it is that SA skews a little older. I'm in my 40s and living very differently than I was in my 20s. Probably some of the young people in here will be in a similar situation. Having said that, I read some of the fallout from this and it makes me feel sick to my stomach.

Agent Burt Macklin fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Dec 19, 2017

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

https://twitter.com/reemadamin/status/943216518413811714

ONLY A SINGLE PROVISIONAL BALLOT LEFT TO COUNT

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Agreed. A number of my friends are aghast at how much they're going to save, despite not needing the money and being on track for retirement.

On track for retirement, *assuming* Medicare and Social Security survive. Perhaps they should recalculate to see if they will be able to afford the crushing health bills that old folk will get without Medicare.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Dietrich posted:

Eh, you may or may not still see a tax cut. People did a real bad thing of being hyperbolic and changing "it favors billionaires" into a hyper literal idea that it only gave tax breaks to only billionaires and to all billionaires and not to anyone else ever.

Like you need to recalibrate to "this is bad because it disproportionately benefits the people that need it least" but not go too far and hit fiction of the idea that it was ever "no one gets a tax cut except all billionaires" or something. It can be both bad and also cut your taxes a little.

twice burned ice
Dec 29, 2008

My stove defies the laws of physics!

Just lol if it ends up tied.

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

I know "lol this script is implausible" jokes are played out, but seriously...

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

eviltastic posted:

I know "lol this script is implausible" jokes are played out, but seriously...

Satire's been dead and buried in the salted, unfeeling earth for a year and a month. I believe everything now.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
What happened with the one where a bunch of people were given the entirely wrong ballot?

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

Was the health care spending deduction removed in the final bill?? If so, that's where my tax cut is going :smith:

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Like you need to recalibrate to "this is bad because it disproportionately benefits the people that need it least" but not go too far and hit fiction of the idea that it was ever "no one gets a tax cut except all billionaires" or something. It can be both bad and also cut your taxes a little.

A lot of people here are white men with decent full-time jobs in red/purple states. The very definition of a Trump voter. Since Republicans can't do tax breaks by party affiliation, they are going to do it by demographic.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

It's that movie "swing vote" but real.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

twice burned ice posted:

Just lol if it ends up tied.

What happens in case of a tie? Is there a new election or does someone get a tiebreaker?

• Locked thread