Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Didn't they obliterate the Old World and move onto Age of Sigmar because it's much easier for them to take people to court over using their copyrighted term 'Aelves' rather than 'Elves'? And because it's overall much harder for them to take people to court over things in WHFB rather than AoS?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

A wizard for one

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.

Sinteres posted:

RIP Araby DLC

Araby is pretty big, they could probably fit another faction in there.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Sweet merciful christ, I've never preordered something that fast before.

Except maybe TW2.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Sinteres posted:

RIP Araby DLC
Alright, maybe Araby looks less likely. But nothing will stop me from expecting that CA's next announcement will be an Amazon DLC.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!
My only concern with TK is rust being so isolationist that you'll seldom fight them unless you are one of their direct neighbors. Maybe have more end times scenarios.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Panfilo posted:

My only concern with TK is rust being so isolationist that you'll seldom fight them unless you are one of their direct neighbors. Maybe have more end times scenarios.

giving their AI a "we declare war on you, for no loving reason" trigger would probably do it

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Panfilo posted:

It's pretty easy to come up with a justifiable scenario. You could, for example, send Settra on a mission to reclaim a lost artefact stolen by vikings. However, he's decided to travel over land and, well, there's a bunch of humans, dwarfs, and orcs in the way.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Ze Pollack posted:

giving their AI a "we declare war on you, for no loving reason" trigger would probably do it

Ah, so standard TW AI then.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

toasterwarrior posted:

Ah, so standard TW AI then.

pretty much.

it's one of the things I'd love to look at under the hood, I'll bet you most of the Isolationist AI effects are just that particular line of logic being missing

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

That trailer. That loving trailer.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

ZeusJupitar posted:

The problem with the Old World setting is that there's little you can actually do with it that doesn't amount to blowing it all up anyway. 40k and AOS give them an infinite canvas which can accommodate new factions, new characters and an illusion of change without invalidating existing models and lore.

Whereas with the Old World, the map is full and the world is fragile. You can either keep rephrasing the status quo as it's existed since something like 1992 or you can start killing of characters, destroying factions and advancing the world's technology, at which point you might as well nuke it and publish AOS.

The frozen nature of the setting also undermines the characters, because you have all these supervillians (Malekith/Archaon/Manfred etc) who can't be allowed to win or change the status quo and so become jokes. Grogs complain ad nauseam about the old storm of chaos campaign being a wet fart, but that's what you get for fluff when you can't invalidate popular models and the world is to small to change.

This is all stuff that Total Warhammer really brings home, because it lets you see what happens to the world when time is allowed to advance.

Because 40K's plot has advanced so far, and the characters and villains aren't bad jokes.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!
Hmm that makes me think they could have AI Settra gathering up those nine books, which just so happen to be located in the capitals of the major races. So one got overgrown by the great oak, one is in a museum in altdorf, one was mistaken as a tablet of the ancients and hoarded by skinks, one stolen by the Von Carsteins, one studied by the thirteenth council in skavenblight, one being used as a toilet seat by Azhag, etc.

End of Shoelace
Apr 5, 2016
Hey, anyone have problems with flickering settlement banners when changing the ingame rendering resolution to anything under 100%?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Rookersh posted:

- Dark Elves finally make landing on Ulthuan. Start to establish themselves.

This was already established as happening frequently in the old army books. The Phoenix Gate is literally a gag it gets taken back and forth and rebuilt so often.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

Devorum posted:

Because 40K's plot has advanced so far, and the characters and villains aren't bad jokes.

You do know that the plot just advanced ~100 years, the galaxy is split in half by a warpstorm and Guilliman is leading the the Imperium, right?

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Tomb King units will all probably talk. Their statues are animated by divine servants, and the skeletons are in a weird dream haze where they all think they're actually alive - when a visitor gets plates of dried fruits and dust-filled wine jars the attendants actually think they're delivering a feast.

Archonex posted:

Also all they need in now is Neferata and her Lahmian version of vampires and the overblown undead dick waving contest will be complete. Setting aside the Strigoi nation (Which is actually in the game but needs a unique unit roster.), the literal vampire pirate faction that keeps getting teased, and the Necrarchs that's pretty much all of the active groups on that side of things.

Kind of surprised she isn't going in alongside Khalida, actually. They're pretty much arch-enemies at this point in the timeline and one of them loving with the other is a great excuse for Khalida to not be sitting around Lamia at the start of the game.

Turning a barbarian queen into a vampire, motivating her to build a competing Serpent Queendom, and giving her a bloodstained khopesh which was supposedly a magic weapon that could destroy Khalida but was actually just a souvenir is basically Neferata's version of a "thinking of you" card.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

The entire point of both settings is that the entire context is in a constant state of static conflict. They were settings for a tabletop war game, that you could come up with some fluff for your tabletop match and maybe string a bunch of matches together for a narrative campaign. Since tabletop shops around the world were all running simultaneous matches and campaigns, the only way they could all be “lore friendly” is if the overall context doesn’t really change in response.

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.

Pendent posted:

You do know that the plot just advanced ~100 years, the galaxy is split in half by a warpstorm and Guilliman is leading the the Imperium, right?

The best part is the Thousand Sons wiping out the Space Wolves.

Dartonus
Apr 1, 2011

It only gets worse from here on in...
Looking at one of the screenshots on the Steam page, TK chariot unit size looks to be 12 models to the Skeleton Archers’ 120 (i.e. likely Ultra unit size).

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Panfilo posted:

Hmm that makes me think they could have AI Settra gathering up those nine books, which just so happen to be located in the capitals of the major races. So one got overgrown by the great oak, one is in a museum in altdorf, one was mistaken as a tablet of the ancients and hoarded by skinks, one stolen by the Von Carsteins, one studied by the thirteenth council in skavenblight, one being used as a toilet seat by Azhag, etc.

Most of them are lost, but three of them are known: Neferata has one in the Silver Pinnacle, Zacharias the Eternal (of the Necrachs) has another one, and Mannfred Von Carstein has the last one. So, at least, this puts the Tomb Kings in a direct collision course with pretty much all Vampire factions.

wiegieman posted:

Tomb King units will all probably talk. Their statues are animated by divine servants, and the skeletons are in a weird dream haze where they all think they're actually alive - when a visitor gets plates of dried fruits and dust-filled wine jars the attendants actually think they're delivering a feast.

Turning a barbarian queen into a vampire, motivating her to build a competing Serpent Queendom, and giving her a bloodstained khopesh which was supposedly a magic weapon that could destroy Khalida but was actually just a souvenir is basically Neferata's version of a "thinking of you" card.

That book was good and had some of the funniest Tomb King characters ever.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

wiegieman posted:

I'm assuming that this story ends with the barbarian queen turned vampire fighting Khalida in a duel to the death only to discover that her epic legacy establishing khopesh is really just a poorly cleaned khopesh that ought to have been scrapped a thousand years ago. Cue splattered puppet queen, an increasingly annoyed Khalida, and Neferata laughing her rear end off in the background. :allears:

Ludicrously dickish poo poo like that is why I want them in. Goddamn. They're a perfect fit for people who want the intrigue mechanics in another faction but don't want to deal with how utterly boring the high elves are.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Dec 19, 2017

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
Alright my delf ME campaign is turning into a loving slog. The high elves are incredibly tedious to play against and they own a third of the map. Every army has six phoenix that respawn at 50% health once killed and destroy 80% of a units health with their bombs.

blindwoozie
Mar 1, 2008

Man, I was going to finally start up another campaign after a long break but I'm just going to be playing a campaign as Not Tomb Kings and ehhh

That was a seriously good trailer. They even dropped the Settra line :swoon:

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

SteelMentor posted:

Oh god this means all the Vamp corruption will gently caress off from Southlands.

It might be actually interesting to rampage around there now!

I'm assuming some Vampires will still be around there as early game enemies of the tomb kings.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Archonex posted:

I'm assuming that this story ends with the barbarian queen turned vampire fighting Khalida in a duel to the death only to discover that her epic legacy establishing khopesh is really just a poorly cleaned khopesh that ought to have been scrapped a thousand years ago. Cue splattered puppet queen, an increasingly annoyed Khalida, and Neferata laughing her rear end off in the background. :allears:

Ludicrously dickish poo poo like that is why I want them in. Goddamn. They're a perfect fit for people who want the intrigue mechanics in another faction but don't want to deal with how utterly boring the high elves are.

Yes. It was the sword Neferata killed Khalida with, and Khalida was basically rolling her non-existent eyes at the whole thing by the end.

Angry Lobster posted:

That book was good and had some of the funniest Tomb King characters ever.

Antar, Hawk of the Desert, Leader and Breaker of Armies, Slayer of the Wicked, Desired of Women, Envied of Men, graciously accepts your adoration.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I'm a big fan of that X-men Sentinel they put in the game. I want to laser eyes all whippersnappers who dare encroach upon my lawn.

Also I know it would be a big eye roll but they should force Settra's AI to allow something other than confederation seeing as how confederation is basically just a peaceful takeover.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

The spookiest and scariest of skeletons are here, bitches.

Also, the start positions on the store page seem to be for the Vortex map, so expect them to be different for the ME campaign.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
How powerful were the Tomb Kings pre-Nagash-Apocalypse compared to the elves, dwarves and lizardmen at the time?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Comstar posted:

How powerful were the Tomb Kings pre-Nagash-Apocalypse compared to the elves, dwarves and lizardmen at the time?

Extremely. They're another of those 'You know, if some rear end in a top hat hadn't kicked over everything, we'd probably have this whole Chaos mess sorted' sorts, really.

To illustrate: Vlad von Carstein was originally Prince Vashenesh, a last survivor of a house that had been usurped within their empire. He was stationed up in the land that would become Sylvania one day while he was hiding in the army as a common soldier. They genuinely used to rule most of the world.

And that was AFTER the first brush with Nagash.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
Every race is secretly the greatest and would totally rule the world and crush all the other races if only it hadn't been for *minor issue*. Buy more models!

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Kainser posted:

Every race is secretly the greatest and would totally rule the world and crush all the other races if only it hadn't been for *minor issue*. Buy more models!

Empire, Brets, Welves and Dawi ain't poo poo. None of them even really have a theoretically path to 'rule the world'.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
The dwarves definitely has the "if only the lizardmen hadn't collapsed our tunnels thing" but yeah, you are right that the human factions are mostly portrayed as underdogs.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...
The Welves of course don't really give a poo poo about ruling the world or conquering other races. The whole rest of the world can burn so long as people keep of the grass in their forest.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Which is also why they did what they did to Bretonnia. Poor Brets, they're the best and most ridiculous place in the Old World.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

The human factions will eventually achieve a cultural victory via blue jeans and rock music

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Kainser posted:

The dwarves definitely has the "if only the lizardmen hadn't collapsed our tunnels thing" but yeah, you are right that the human factions are mostly portrayed as underdogs.

While kind of true, the Dwarves are now absolutely pathetic and have no path to reclaim even their former glory. Let alone go to 'rule the world'.

Basically every other faction could through some means or another (Skaven unite under a powerful enough avatar of the Horned Rat, Slaan finally get an actual plan/decide to go for broke and just act, Elves unite+ Vortex shenanigans, Vampire apocalypse, Chaos apocalypse, Greenskin apocalypse etc)

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Flavahbeast posted:

The human factions will eventually achieve a cultural victory via blue jeans and rock music

I knew there was something sinister behind all those tailor houses.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Well if you think about it, the only reason Chaos really wins is because it had all those humans to fight for it, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Zore posted:

Empire, Brets, Welves and Dawi ain't poo poo. None of them even really have a theoretically path to 'rule the world'.

Empire just needs to invent mass production and the bayonet